main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic Epics: For the Enrichment of the Illiterate Newbie

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by furrylittlebantha, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Gotta' whole heartedly agree with LLL on that one. [face_love] Walberg's "Dark Empire" series, and "Father's Heart" were THE first two fanfics I read on the net. They made me realize there was a place for all this stuff, and to date they are both still standard bearers close to my heart.

And everyone know how much of a big oqi fan I am...

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    OK, probably the oldest news ever, but the reason I fell in love with fanfiction...

Dark Mirror by Gandalf the Grey
    The sequels 'Dark Journey' and 'Dark Apocalypse' follow in the same thread.:D

IIRC the author is still around under a different name, too. Don't ask me wich, if I knew, I'd have told you.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    I think I got more than I bargained for with this thread. Today I have to do an adv. chem lab, and physics lab, four essays, five calc lessons, and Spanish homework. And I've spent the entire morning reading. Oh my gosh, it's been fun, though! Dark Mirror was absolutely amazing. Thank you, everyone, for sharing all this splendorificnous with us!!!!!

5. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Thank *you*, furrylittlebantha, for creating this thread. :) It was a great idea. I've made a list of all these titles for some lazy summer day when I have nothing to do. When there's no homework, no stress...

6. furrylittlebantha

Dec 2, 2005
    Gotta add Fall of the Sith by Souderwan. A true classic. In the same vein, The Shadow of Vader is an edge-of-your-seat, whoa-he-did-NOT-just-do-that adventure of the highest order. Both of them I highly recommend as two of the most plausible, brilliantly executed RotS AUs out there.

7. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I think this is a great thread. Thank you, furrylittlebantha. :)

Might I recommend ophelia's Spirit Warriors of Angharad. It's by turns funny, heartwrenching, and thought-provoking; when I first read it a couple of years ago, I thought, '*This* is what SW fanfic is meant to do.'

I am not sure if it really counts as the Great Galactic Novel, the one that's stood the test of time, garnered renown, and has been beloved by legions of readers, because it sadly didn't attract lots of responses, but it is certainly long enough. Personally, I think of it as the definitive Obi-Wan//Anakin adventure story, and I've got it saved in my hard drive. :D

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Here's perhaps one of the funniest (albeit unfinished) epics on the boards: Planet Hopping. It's so funny that it should come with a disclaimer about the potential for choking on food and snarfing liquids. The author is Yodimus and no, he's not in prison--or so he says.

9. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Burn! Burn! Burn! by oqidaun

OCs, horror, Dark Drama, PT era...if you're into all those then this one's deffinetely a "must read" for you. And if you don't believe me then maybe ths list of awards will sound more convincing.

Best Canon
    Best Drama
    Best Epic
    Best Ensemble Cast

A Resolution Between Shadows and Light by SakuraTsukikage

The Epic of Epics when it comes to Mustafar AUs. I think its hit epic length by now but at the same time quite managable and so engrossing that you'll read it in a couple of sittings no problem! She doesn't update very regularly anymore but its worth the wait and definetely worth the read.

The Shadow of Vader by Darth_Vastor

A ROTS (and OT) AU "must read"! Beautifuly writen with something that can be so hard to find -- spot on characterization.

Includes a Dark!Obi and Sabewan. A/P plays a rather prominent role as well for those who find that paring a "must."

10. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
  11. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I don't know if it approaches epic length, but obaona's The Cell is a darn good story.

It's ... it's ...

... it's probably on her profile somewhere? I hope.

12. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
  13. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    This is a great thread, furrylittlebantha! Though I love fics of all sizes, epics are my favorites!

Here is a fic I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: The Circle by Lisse. I passed over this one in the Classic forum many times before finally checking it out. The header said "AU Futurefic" and at the time I had not yet read any of the NJO; I thought it would just be an EU rehash. I was very much mistaken, and after discovering the complexity of the story, I lost myself in it for hours and hours. Lisse has started rewriting the story, which can be found on the Beyond the Saga forum here. Personally, I would suggest reading the first one, because I think it is awesome and will probably make you better appreciate the rewrite. Plus, the rewrite is only into the first several chapters, whereas the older version has over 100k words. This story is one of the reasons I fell in love with AU epics, and I highly suggest reading both versions! :)

I know there are others I read in my early days! If I find them again, I'll post them here! :D

14. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I'd recommend LadyPadme's series:
    Of spies and Sabacc:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9050405&start=9060885

All's fair in love and war:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10154893&replies=1

The Jade Profecy:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=12835125&replies=2

A phoenix from the ashes:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/16101705/p1

They're absolutely amazing. Romance, political intrigue and action with a superb writing style.

15. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    Aww, I've read most of these! I guess that just means I'me a very literate newbie!

For L/M lovers, Gabri_Jade's Infinite Possibilities
    http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?action=view&ID=1003 is a must. It is in the Archives, which means you can read this amazing post-TLC love story in one go!

I'll come back with more linkies later!

J_Ro

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    A must read from the golden days:

A Night to (Almost) Remember by Jemmiah & Co. It's a hilarious Round Robin that was written by 10 different authors.

Though I honestly recommend ALL the stories in the Jemmiah chronicles: Link to their web archive, the Hell's Chance Cantina

Also:

My Dear Padme by the collective works of Mara Jade,Emperor's Hand, Jedi Master Mara Jade, Alderaan 21, The Musical Jedi, Hiroko01, and I feel like I'm forgetting someone... Wonderful old story. :)

17. furrylittlebantha

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for the contributions, folks! [:D] They are much appreciated. Maybe when school cools off (that is, when I graduate) I'll compile everything into an index. Then things can be nice and official. :)

18. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Why has no one yet mentioned tych_sel's Hand of the Empress and Imperial Destiny? Those are definitely among the most amazing stories ever. Hand of the Empress is finished and locked, I think. But Imperial Destiny is a WIP- it is 27 pages with 50 replies per page. A must-read for all L/M, Sith, and Imperial fans.
    As many others have mentioned, "By The Grace of Lady Vader" and "Ascension of the Queen" are absolutely required in fanfic. There's no way you can read Saga or Beyond the Saga fanfic without reading those- and I've been here for over a year and I just read them a few months ago!

19. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.