main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
  2. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Here Hamill has taken off Luke's golden jacket and holds it in his left hand. Reminds me of the alternate take of the medal scene where Luke isn't wearing it at all.

I wonder if the jacket/no jacket thing was meant to symbolize something. Who wins Leia's hand, perhaps?

Tosche_Station and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ That's a story I'd love to hear, too. ;)

[​IMG]

I mean, seriously, to avoid any allusions to the TV series Space: 1999 but still feature Luke wearing the same jacked used in Moonbase Alpha is almost dickish. :p

Of course, dressing up all the extras for the medal award ceremony was rather difficult according to John Mollo. The only guess I can offer (until somebody provides the backstory) is that they wanted to "add some beef" to Luke to make him look like a credible competitor for the hand of the princess.

Tosche_Station and Nibelung like this.
  4. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I definitely never saw an Ugnaught like the one on the left before (i.e. not wearing working clothes).

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  7. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Humans are from the Alpha Quadrant and Ugnaughts come from the Delta Quadrant... :D

Dark Lady Mara and Master_Rebado like this.
  8. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  9. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Sweet Boba Fett photo.

Avnar, Nibelung and Master_Rebado like this.
  10. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Yeah,it's a great image.

The other of course being more commonly seen around the net.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  12. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    All of these gems are from the Lucasfilm website.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Eeeeeek! That crawl. [face_shame_on_you]

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

[face_hypnotized] Wow, that's truly fascinating, I didn't know they actually shot the different prologue from the January 1976 script, nevertheless slightly modified:

"It is a period of civil wars in the galaxy. A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters has challenged the iron fisted oppression of the powerful GALACTIC EMPIRE."

Modified (shown above):

It is a period of civil wars in the galaxy. A brave alliance of underground freedom fighters has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the aweful (or awesome?) GALACTIC EMPIRE.

"Striking from a fortress hidden among the billion stars of the galaxy, rebel spaceships have won a crushing victory over the awesome Imperial Starfleet. The EMPIRE knows that one more such defeat could bring a thousand more solar systems into the rebellion, and Imperial control over the galaxy would be lost forever.
    To crush the rebellion once and for all, the EMPIRE has constructed a sinister new weapon: THE DEATH STAR. Powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, it spells certain doom for the champions of freedom."

To bad we can decipher the other text of the alternate prologue... =P~

15. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Iron_lord likes this.
  16. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks! Lots of good ones from you too! After only looking through the first few and most recent pages, I went through the entire thread yesterday. It's one of the best.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  17. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    They shot it multiple times. The iTunes version of The Making of SW has a video clip of an even earlier version with a different font for the crawl. (And yes, it does say "the awesome GALACTIC EMPIRE".) The logo is the same.

Originally, the title started out in a head-on view like the final logo, then folded down to the plane of the crawl before receding with the rest of the text.

11-4D, Tosche_Station and Lt. Hija like this.
  18. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  19. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
  20. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    From the previous page - I recall reading in the Making of ROTJ book that the man playing Vader is Harold Cole who was a stage technician. It was for a pickup shot of Vader holding Luke's saber.

I don't know why they used the Endor backdrop for a shot of Vader's hands though. They may have done additional shots from further away as suggested, or perhaps it was to help with the lighting of the shot, so the colours were essentially the same as from the main shoot on the full set. Or maybe it just helped them get in the mood? Also in the book there's a shot of GL filming an insert of Leia drawing her blaster on Endor outside the bunker (the 'I love you/I know' scene) in which they were also using a stand in with part of the bunker set, although I believe it is also not seen in the film because the shot is a close up.

21. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I'm sure a great story for Harold Cole to tell at dinner parties.

22. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Assuming he considers it interesting enough to recount... and isn't bound by a boilerplate NDA preventing discussion of his work for Lucasfilm.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  23. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  24. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    That photo of Carrie and David Tomblin (the assistant director) on the ESB set is priceless.

Master_Rebado and Tosche_Station like this.
  25. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Oh, regarding the early iteration of the SW '77 crawl above: the text is derived from the revised fourth draft of March 1976, which was the shooting script Lucas took with him to Tunisia (before revising it further on set).