main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classical Pieces Similar to The Emperor's Theme

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Formidious, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Greetings, I was wondering if anybody knew of any classical pieces that were similar to the Emperor's theme? I love the slow moving and dark male chorals; it's all so beautiful.

For anyone that wants a listen:

Barriss_Coffee and Nibelung like this.
  2. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    The only piece that I can think of, regarding hauting dark mal chorals, is the one heard at the end of Kubrick's 2001, a Space Odyssey (Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two Mixed Choirs).

Though it's more high pitched, less dark, and less beautiful.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Have you tried Holst's suite The Planets? Especially Neptune, Saturn, and a little of Mars.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Try the Ligeti as Ord-Mantell suggested.

Shostakovich too. Not much chorale in it but there are some deep, slow moving parts in his fifth symphony. IIRC.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Star Wars and Fim Music Forum

6. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Those are some interesting selections!

Though, they just don't have the appeal or menace of the Emperor's theme. I know that score is incredibly specific, but I feel an era of this style of music is out there. Has anyone got more suggestions? :(

7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    The problem is that the music, melodically speaking, appears to have been inspired more by sci-fi and horror film music from the '40s and '50s, rather than direct from classical.

Notable examples would be Bernard Herrmann's music in The Day The Earth Stood Still and Spellbound. But you may also find the root of that kind of atmosphere even in his score for Citizen Kane.

Williams has taken that idiom and put a chorus in place of the eerie theremin and organ sounds.

Check out also some of Miklos Rozsa for that kind of atmosphere.

Barriss_Coffee and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Some of the lesser-known parts of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana are kind of dark.

Barriss_Coffee and Martoto77 like this.
  9. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Just remembered that it's Herrmann's three not phrase from Psycho, which is not disimilar in tempo and harmony to the Emperor music, was used in the temp track for A New Hope and was quoted by Williams note for note when he came to score the film.