main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cliché Fan Fiction Elements

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lady_Moonbeam, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I have to say that I like reading Obi-Wan stories with the hope that there will be something about his darker side. Qwiller does this really well (chek out the Archive) without making the emotions melodramatic. Okay, and I'm a sucker for the physical descriptions--sorry, I'm a girl, I can't help it [face_blush] They do help readers picture the story's setting though, as long as there aren't paragraphs-long descriptions of OW's eyes. I mean, I like his eyes, but I also want to see him kick butt at some point :D

I had to laugh at all these cliches because I am SO guilty of some of them. Some people think, well, it's such a small, fictional galaxy, and there are only so many plots to write. Not true. There are a myriad extras in the films--each one is a character with a story. Besides, cliched stories can be really fun to read if they're done well. If nothing else, they're good for a laugh.

Something that tends to annoy me is when an OC is so obviously based on the author. I don't mean that as a slight against those authors, but when someone's email address or forum name is the same as an OC, it turns me off a little. I write characters based on myself as well, but I try to give each one only one or two of my quirks. Even then, for that person, it's just a quirk and not the basis of their whole entire character. And then there's the bit about using Earth names. Okay, the Flanneled One did it--Ben, Owen, Luke, and Tim Zahn added Mara. But in fanfics, again, it's the obviousness. I think it was FernWithy who wrote an article about naming characters and said that "Djyeniphyr" is not a suitable replacement for "Jennifer," or something like that. A name like Jacen (which I think was supposed to be Jason, but Zahn was asked to change it to keep it from sounding too Earth-like) doesn't bother me because I don't have to stare at the computer screen and sound it out, thus emphasizing to myself the obviousness.

"Pregnant Jaina" stories I stay away from for reasons mentioned by everyone else. And someone usually throws in a "Oh, we didn't use protection" plotline. And by the way, what is it with everyone getting laid? Excess of pheremones? :p Overly whiny Anakins annoy me--yes, he's a teenager, but teenagers don't whine. They gripe and complain because they think they know everything (uh oh, I sound like my parents :eek: ). And I love AUs--it's so amazing all the "what ifs" people can come up with, but so many of them tend to solve the problems the alternate future brings up with quick cut-and-dried endings. Like, Anakin never turns to the Dark Side, love is allowed for the Jedi, Mara=Jedi and marries Luke, Leia=Jedi and marries Han=noble soldier, happy ending, la la la. What about all the people whose lives were profoundly changed by the Empire? Do Iella and Wedge ever meet, much less get married, etc etc etc. And personally, I liked SbS for many reasons, the biggest one being Anakin's demise. It's becoming cliche to kill off a main character (actually, EVERYTHING's cliche now) in fics, but the way it was done really got me. There's always that big hero character who's going to save the day and come to a new understanding of the Force, and he seems like the coolest guy alive, and now he's even got a love interest in his best friend, and we're all looking forward to see how his life turns out...nope--he dies, which was depressing and yet refreshing. I don't see why some people think that bad things can't happen in Star Wars stories just because the GFFA is a magical mystical place--living under the Empire wasn't exactly paradise.

Well, that's my VERY long rant, and I'll probably have more to add. Oh, and whoever said "drop Cardboard like a rock"-- [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Something that tends to annoy me is when an OC is so obviously based on the author. I don't mean that as a slight against those authors, but when someone's email address or forum name is the same as an OC, it turns me off a little.

I am guilty of this, I will admit it. When I first started out, I wrote this OC I really loved, so much that her name became my first e-mail address (which changed again that summer).

~aeryn

3. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Obi Wan, Obi Wan, everyone writes stories about Obi Wan! (well almost) Think up some charators of your own, people!

*writes about Obi-Wan* well, he IS highly interesting, both to women (chuckle), and in complex personality... I'm writing a story that involves Obi-Wan and Sabé, but there are plenty of original characters and subplots going on. Yeahhhh baby!

4. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Something that tends to annoy me is when an OC is so obviously based on the author. I don't mean that as a slight against those authors, but when someone's email address or forum name is the same as an OC, it turns me off a little.

My forum name has the same last name as an OC family of jedi, but none of them are based on me. I'd warn about discriminating against an author solely on their screenname or email, because some of the stories I've read are pretty darn good. All it really means is that the author is kind of obsessed about their own universe, but sometimes that amounts to greater character and story depth instead of a legion of Mary Sues. ;)

Jae Angel

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, that's a good point. I mean, I understand if someone writes an OC and then gets obsessed with the OC--happens to me :) But I've seen a lot of those become really cheezy stories--the "what if I got transported in the GFFA" kind, and all the other cliches so far mentioned. However, that's not to say I don't get pleasantly surprised once in a while :)

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My screenname is DantanaSkywalker BECAUSE of my OC, not the other way around.

Dana

7. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I only did that name thing once, but that was becasue I couldn't think of a name to use as a screen name and the name of the chararator I did use, Auoura, gets killed off in my stories anyway!

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Eminar:

I'd argue that Obi-wan is treated like a pile of bantha dung by his master as well. You could also argue that neither party (anakin or Obi) show each other much respect - although I'd say that's less to do with thier personalities then combined histories and the way they were thrown together.

You can create you're own characters (it's a good thing to do) but as a purely OC writer now-a-days...let me just say there isn't much of a market for them. People would rather read about Obi-wan. Although I'd like to point out that there is less Obi-wan stories then say Jaina/Jag or any other NJO combination. Again, it's fine. That's what's trendy and current...it'll probably change in a couple of months anyway.

Kithera

9. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    My name is the same as my main OC, but I'll offer the excuse that I'm not remotely like her in any way (thank god!). The resemblence stops with the name. :) What can I say, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :D

10. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    You can create you're own characters (it's a good thing to do) but as a purely OC writer now-a-days...let me just say there isn't much of a market for them.

I agree Kit, and you know, it's very sad too because the story itself could be really good. Sadly, the only way a reader would even look at an all OC-story is if there were characters from the saga itself in the mix.

~aeryn

11. Chocos_Ramabotti

Chocos_Ramabotti Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2001
    Oh...I'm actually very guilty of the self-insertion thing [face_blush]. Almost all my OCs (or rather RPG charas) are based on me in some way or another [face_blush]. But, well...I'll defend myself saying that I partly do it to better imagine what they think and feel :p :).

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My characters might have elements of me in them, but I would have to say that Dantana and Katrael have very little in common with me.

Dana

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, I have to agree with Kit. Jaina Solo is the focus of a LOT more fic than Obi-Wan, with Anakin/Padme and Mara Jade coming in second and third.

But back to cliches...

I am beginning to think that Corellians are over done (Mike S. pretty much killed them)

We mentioned red-heads, right?

And what about "Jedi turns to the Dark Side, but then turns back?" I really have a problem with that; Yoda said "Once you have turned to the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your destiny." But now everyone and his brother turn dark then turn light again (in profic as well as fanfic). I was under the impression that only Anakin Skywalker, by virtue of being the Chosen One, could do that.

14. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, but the "chosen one" storyline came about after years of profic and fanfic had already been written with people turning dark and coming back. I don't think many of the writers really knew that such a thing was restricted to the "chosen one".

All the same, I agree with you that too many have turned dark and then haven't had too hard a time on the way back. I can buy that somebody as strong as Luke could make it back with his sister's love to guide him, but many others just aren't Luke! :p

Although we have Mara, who still has a temper, and Kyp, who acts like a little punk a lot of the time, and Jaina Solo with a need for Prozac, so I guess they're still feeling the effects, from a certain point of view. ;)

Jae Angel

15. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Although we have Mara, who still has a temper, and Kyp, who acts like a little punk a lot of the time, and Jaina Solo with a need for Prozac, so I guess they're still feeling the effects, from a certain point of view.

Hmm. Mara in anger managment, Kyp with a mohawk, and Jaina hooked on medication. Plot bunny. :D

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    If you write it, I will read! :p

17. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    And what about "Jedi turns to the Dark Side, but then turns back?"

What about vice versa ? ;)

"Sith turns to the Light Side, but then tuns back" ? ;)

I love switching views. ;)

18. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    ::waves:: Hey guys!! I've been reading all the messages on this thread and I have to say, I think it's a *great* idea- there are a lot of cliches in fan fiction and sometimes it can really get annoying! Sometimes it's hard to avoid general cliches (like 2 characters hating each other and then falling in love), and as long as they're well written, it's never really a problem for me. But there are a few elements of stories that *do* get on my nerves...

1. This might be more of a pet peeve, but I *hate* seeing either really 'Earth-y' or really wierd character names in a story. (I think someone mentioned this earlier and used 'Jennifer' as an example). It just really throws a story off for me.

2. J/J, K/J, J/anyone: OK, there are *so* many "Jaina gets pregnant", "Jaina thinks she loves Jag but really loves Kyp", "Jaina or Jag dies" stories out there that even making fun of the cliche has become a cliche!! Reading J/J or K/J fics has just become boring for me because they're all the same. W/o meaning to offend anyone (and I'm really really sorry if I do!), I think this is because a lot of people who write NJO fan fic are teenagers and don't have the same experience- both in writing and in life- as the older or more mature writers of, say, Han and Leia fan fic. I'm 15, and a *lot* of the story ideas I get are cliches, so I try not to write on them too often unless I can put a different twist on it.

3. Quoting from another post, "A cliche I don't really like is Mara's green, shimmering, strapless, low-cut dress.?" Yes, yes, yes!! I completely agree with this one- it seems like the only color the woman wears is green!! I mean, yes, red heads can be hard to dress, but there must be *some* other color!!

On the other hand, are there any cliches that you guys consider good? For example: I'm a huge H/L fan, and one of the popular cliches in that community is the idea of Leia not being able to cook if her life depended on it, and of Han being (surprisingly!) a very good cook. I think it's hilarious, and even though I've read the scenario many times, it always seems interesting to me. What do you guys think?

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually redheads are fairly easy to dress - put them in richly hued cool colors like blue, green (of course) and purple. I have a red-headed little girl and she is gorgeous in purple. Reds (some brilliant reds) actually work well. So come on people - use color! That's what it's there for...LOL.

I also am amused by Leia not being able to cook. My husband is a very good cook and I'm awful. I set the stove on fire the night before we were married and that pretty much set the tone of who cooks...yes, it was an accident!

Hummm, good cliches - that's a hard one. Mostly I get bored with one too many cliches! And that's the death of any fic - for the readers to get bored. I don't read many romances because they are so cliched. It takes a real twist to pique my interest! I can think of one or two on these boards that are wonderful romances but mostly I go after adventure or friendship fics.

I suppose that the storyline "friend will die for other friend" could be said to be cliched but a lot of really great fics have that as a core component of the fic. I would consider that a good cliche!

20. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    In "Papa Don't Preach" I have Mara in a pink dress. :D

Another go against the cliche is my vigginette "Lie No More", which is a Dark Han story. I only know of one other besides my own that does this.

21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Good cliches are cliches that someone has turned on their head to make them fresh and different. A Jedi Master who is an overweight, 50-year old woman, maybe, or a pilot who DOESN'T have mystical Force powers, a mysterious past and who doesn't come from Corellia.

Dianethx is right, cliches can be boring. My pet beef is Mary Sue. I can usually identify them by the second paragraph, so if Obi gets misty-eyed over an OC girl, or if someone is Luke's/Mara's/Obi-Wan's/Anakin's long-lost sister-brother, then it's over. I won't read another word.

Leia not being able to cook makes a lot of sense; she was probably raised with servants and culinary droids who did that. The idea that Han is a good cook, though, is a bit harder to buy into. I picture him as living off fast-food/convenience packages in his bachelor days, and the galley of the Falcon being full of junk food and lomin ale...

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, Mistress_Renata, I figured that Han learned his culinary skills from Dewlanna (she was the cook on the pirate ship, I believe) and she raised Han! So it would make sense that he could cook. However, I have to agree that his ship probably would be filled with ale and fast-food!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.