main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cliffhangers Workshop - Completed/Cliffie FREE-FOR-ALL

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luton_Plunder, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    :eek: [face_heart_attack]
    I just hope you don't do that to your readers, they'd all die from excitment and unresolved tenstion.:p

And I like solving them. Several times, differently. Silly if necessary. It's half the fun. mislead the reader to expect something and then solve the cliffie in an unexpected way. F.U.N!:D
    I seem to write cliffhangers all the time, too. Last update I wrote I had the urge to use something as a cliffie at least four times. On three pages.:oops:

I <3 cliffies!

So, Futaaaaaaahhhhn! Where's the next exercise?[face_batting]

2. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I love cliffies too, but I agree with dianethx - they can be a difficult thing to resolve.

That's half the fun though, right?

I'm just struggling to come up with something I like.

I know - it was all a dream!

*ducks to avoid thrown objects*

:p

3. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Alexis_Wingstar: Oh man! Nice use of the emotional cliffhanger; if those eyes are Kavin?s? [face_worried]

Jedi_Liz: Short, sweet, not a wasted word. :) Her answer would seem obvious, except this is Mara we?re talking about, and fanfiction, so anything can happen. :p

Darth_Manion: Hey, it?s Lyja and Murdak! They make a nice pair with their clashing personalities. I love the way you express the cliffhanger, with the same irreverent wit in the rest of the banter.

RX_Sith: ?Prepare him??? Very enigmatic ? there?s just enough to make our imagination do the work of scaring us. :p

KELIA: I like how this is almost a cliffhanger-in-reverse, where the thing keeping us on the edge of our seat is finding out what came before the scene. Clever way to approach the exercise.

BigE: Coolness. I dug the underworld vibe of it of course, and a good ?splosion is always a nice post-ender. :D

[image=http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Trick_arrow/KHAAAAAN.jpg]

4. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006

[image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/flogger_bucket/gophergifzg0.gif] You rang?

I apologise for taking so long to reply here! I have the second part of the exercise ready to go however, as well as my own cliffhanger to use as an example, so we're right back on track. Great additions so far everyone! Expect to see my responses to your efforts very shortly ;)

[b][hl=silver]Exercise 2, Part 2[/hl]

Discussion just recently here has been about the resolution of cliffhangers, and the difficulty of said resolutions. Well, you're all in luck! The continuation of this exercise is all about resolution, and ways to go about it! First of all, we're going to look at what [i]not[/i] to do. For this exercise, we are going to resolve our cliffhangers in such a way that makes everyone sigh and roll their eyes. That's right, we're going to make them [i]awful[/i].

Think of the worst cliffhangers you've ever seen or read. Think about why you didn't like them. Did the resolution make no sense? Was it a let down, or a contrived way to resolve the situation? Whatever the reason, now apply it to your own cliffhangers. Be creative. Make me mad :D[/b]

[hr]

So, without further ado, I present the first half to my cliffie and the horribly anti-climactic resolution!

[hr]

?So, are you going to kill me now?? Tadgh Maitland said, blaster raised warily as though it would do him any good. His opponent stood just metres away, lightsaber poised in a defensive stance. If he fired, he would die. If he didn?t, he would die.

Decisions, decisions.

?I thought I might,? the Dark Jedi said, eyes darkened. ?Unless you can give me a compelling reason not to.?

?Ah?? Tadgh tried to think quickly, ?if you strike me down, I?ll become more powerful than you can possible imagine??

?You?d still be struck down,? the Dark Jedi said.

?Point well made,? Tadgh conceded.

?Thankyou,? the Dark Jedi said. ?So now, you know. Prepare to die.?

He rushed forward, a graceful pivot in his step. The crimson saber blade trust violently with pinpoint precision at his chest. Tadgh closed his eyes and squeezed the trigger.

There was silence.

[hr]

[b]Unsatisfying conclusion[/b]...

The silence remained in the air for several seconds, and Tadgh dared to open his eyes. His blaster bolt had missed, far to the left, and slammed into the rear wall. He could see the smoking crater it had left there. To his fortune, however, the Dark Jedi had also missed his target. Their initial stouche had proven to be a lackadaisical affair, neither of them really committed to doing any damage.

"Wow," Tadgh said. "That was boring."

"Yeah," the Jedi responded. "Sorry about that."

"Ah, no harm done," Tadgh reassured him. Then he scratched his chin. "Literally."

Wasn't that awful? Don't you just wanna hit me for having such an anti-clactic resolution to a promising cliffhanger?

To be serious a moment, it's things like this that give rise to the gripe of 'cliffhangers for the sake of cliffhangers'. If you can't think of a plausible resolution to your cliffie or are having it fizzle out into a lacklustre place, then chances are you didn't need the cliffie in the first place.

So go ahead all, dazzle me with your terrible, terrible work :D

5. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :eek: [face_worried]

Why do I suddenly see a bunch of characters waking up, rubbing their eyes and going 'Oh, it was just a dream' in uninson?[face_worried]

Good luck for you, BigE, guess you got dibs on that one.;)

And now the big queston: Can Ido it?
    Not sure there, but I'll do my best, um worst, I mean.

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I must say that that was a terrible cliffhanger ending, Luton!

I also think that terrible cliffhanger resolutions would be a lot easier than good ones. There's so much more potential there.

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Luton_Plunder: I guess I just have a warped sense of humor, but that resolution had me laughing.

OK, here is the recapp of my cliffie:

?Oh, Tiin,? Miri reached her hand up to touch his cheek, and Tiin knew then, that if it had not been for Kavin, it would be himself Miri would have loved, and Keera would have been his daughter in truth.

This understanding both elated and cut him to the core. The fact that she could possibly have loved him made him happy, yet, he now felt he had lost his opportunity to peace and happiness. He envied Kavin, and felt ashamed at the same time. ?I have to go, Miri.?

Miri wiped a tear from his cheek he had not realized he had shed. Saying nothing, she hugged him.

He returned her embrace, and before he knew it, their lips met.

Without their knowledge, green eyes watched them from afar.

BAD RESOLUTION:

The space station Ohrota orbited Naboo like a forth moon as the technician fiddled with the resolution controls. ?Wow,? he muttered, ?I thought I had the lens pointed away from the planet. Nice view though.? His green eyes gleamed as he took voyeuristic pleasure in watching the two strangers kiss. He was disappointed when they parted without further interaction.

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Muahaha![face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]
    That's really good, bad I mean.
    Good job, Alexis!

My first idea included spontaneous cheesy romance, but I don't think I can do that. Fett+Romance = [face_sick] *drops dead*

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?if you strike me down, I?ll become more powerful than you can possible imagine??

?You?d still be struck down,? the Dark Jedi said.

?Point well made?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thanks for the laugh before that truly awful resolution.

Alexis - yours was pretty good...ah, I mean bad as well!! I really liked the use of humor, though I wouldn't have it that had been an actual story and I was preparing myself for something truly evil to happen.:p

The mention of characters waking up, rubbing their eyes and goinf 'Oh, it was just a dream' brought back the absolute worst cliffhanger resolution I have ever seen. The infamous "Dallas" show where the entire prior season was supposed to have been one character's nightmare. I thought it was such a lame resolution and it kept me from ever watching the show again.

As for my horrible resolution - Brief recap:

?Where?s Obi-Wan?? He demanded.

The stranger?s eyes flickered with confusion for a brief moment. ?You mean your traveling companion??

Anakin nodded. ?Where is he? Is he all right??

The stranger inhaled deeply. ?You really should rest -,?

?Tell me!? Anakin shouted. ?Tell me now!?

The stranger inhaled deeply before wrapping shaking fingers around Anakin?s hands, squeezing tightly. ?Very well, but you must agree to let me tell you everything before you react.?

Anakin?s heart began to pound. ?Okay,? he breathed. ?Tell me everything.?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Resolution:

"My day started with -,"

"Your day?" Anakin pulled his hands free. "Who gives a kriff about your day?" He glanced down at his battered body before glaring at the stranger. "Where is Obi-Wan?"

"You said you'd let me tell you everything," the stranger sniffed, tears beginning to fall. "You lied!"

Anakin's mouth fell open as the stranger burst into full-fledged sobs, shoulders heaving.

"You've got to be kidding," Anakin breathed, rolling his eyes in disgust. "Listen," he patted the stranger's shoulder as compassionately as he could muster. "I didn't mean to -,"

"Anakin, are you in here?"

Anakin's head snapped up as Obi-Wan hobbled into the room, slightly bruised, but very much alive.

"Master!"

Obi-Wan's eyes traveled to the weeping stranger. "What is going on here?"

"I have no idea," Anakin shrugged. "All I did was ask where you were and -,"

"I just wanted someone to listen to me for a change," the stranger wailed. "No one ever listens to me." Rising gingerly from the bed, the stranger looked from Anakin to Obi-Wan. "I'm sorry to have bothered you." Fresh tears began to fall as the stranger ran from the room.

How bad was that?

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I'll be out of town and only using the net @ my sister's house to post on a story that I am collaborating on, so I'll post the solution to the cliffhanger on Tuesday when I get home.

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    You wanted bad....

To recap:

But the touch of ghost-cold on his cheek was another matter. It would seem his ever-persistent ancestor was back. Luke Skywalker wouldn't take no for an answer.

He twisted around, opening his eyes, and wished he'd had another deathstick. It would appear that Tuk'ata had found him after all and sooner than expected.

They weren't alone.

Cade said softly, "Come back to finish the job?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No, Cade. I think you should finish the job. I'm slaving away all day walking these Sith hounds and you lounge around, smoking deathsticks and who knows what else."

As the Tuk'ata dogs began to snarl at each other, clearly bored with the argument and eager to destroy something live and wiggling, Cade's live-in lover, Darth Talon, was having none of it. She yanked on the chains, snapping at the hounds, "Down boys."

Cade just laid there, looking up at his sometimes girlfriend, wishing she would go find him more deathsticks and stop nagging him all the time. It wasn't as if he could find a job. No one would hire him after that disaster with Darth Cadeous or Callous or Calzone or whatever his Sith name was. Cade had tried but the Skywalker name ruined it for him. Luke Skywalker had been the savior of the galaxy and everyone expected him to follow in the boring, old guy's footsteps.

Cade didn't want to be the savior of the galaxy. He wanted to be a pirate, had wanted to since he was a little kid but no one would believe him. But everyone laughed when he insisted that he was a pirate; they all claimed he should be a good guy and that he should stop fooling around and go save someone. Plus no self-respecting pirate would teach him the ways of piratehood. So he'd ended up taking odd jobs or stealing or nothing at all.

Damn Luke Skywalker. Ruined all the fun. And now he was using deathsticks and living off his girlfriend's hound-walking business.

Pathetic!

He'd have to do something about it and soon.

12. Luton_Plunder

Jun 15, 2006
    Oh my gods :eek:

These are Afwul!! Brilliant work :D

MsL - Hah, waking up from a dream is perhaps the ultimate in unsatisfying cliffhanger conclusions. If anyone uses it they are merely going with a classic, and I can't fault that :p

And Fett & romance? I don't know...it would be scary and exciting all at once :p

Diane -
    Why thankyou :D

Hah, it's not often that we're all happy to be told that :p

And your cliffie resolution...how terrible :eek: And yet funny all at once! It was a brilliant let-down, and a great example of what an audience wont like to hear after a dramatic build-up!

Alexis - GREAT response! Now that is what I call a disappointing resolution :D

KELIA - What a let-down [face_laugh] In the best possible way ;)

These were all brilliant examples of how a cliffhanger can go absolutely nowhere, and how they probably weren't needed in the first place. It's always worth noting that if you could end the chapter without a cliffhanger without harming the plot or tone, then perhaps you should. Because nothing is worse when a cliffhanger promises much and delivers little.

Keep them coming everyone!

13. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    [face_laugh] KELIA, that was priceless. I feel for the poor bugger, nobody ever listens to him. [face_laugh]
    And I would say, for a silly story, that would be a perfect second part.:p

dianethx Great, too. His sometimes girl friend. *lol* Now that was anticlimactic. I hope to see this continued on the next Pirate's Day, savvy?:)

Okay, I did my worst and I cringe to post it.[face_cry]
    Recap:

[i]The two circled each other cautiously, and Lorna went through all she knew about her opponent, while not losing track of the several weapons pointed at her. Suddenly, her jet pack roared to live, slamming her full-force into Fett. Not stopped by that opposition, the two of them sped on, right until Fett hit the wall behind him. Lorna knew it was only a matter of milliseconds before one of Fett's went off, and had already calculated the most promising trajectory upwards.

Still up against him she ground out, "I'm not gonna lose again," just before she changed her direction and used Fett as a lever to jump.

"Lorna."

She jerked around in mid air and dropped to the ground like a stone.[/i]

She hit the ground at an unfortunate angle, her helmet hitting with full force. Through the ringing of her ears she thought dazed that this fight was lost if she didn't get up again right now. But it was too late. Fett was already kneeling beside her. To her utter amazement he had taken off his helmet though and looked rather concerned.

"Are you alright?" He even sounded concerned. "I searched half the galaxy for you, and this is the greeting?"

"Sorry," Lorna replied. "I thought this was an official thing." After a pause she added, "Half the galaxy?"

"I should not have let you go. But when I realized that, you had already joined the Mnado'ade and gone here." He helped her up.

Carefully, Lorna removed her helmet, taking an unenhanced look at the face she had not seen for some time. He looked very much the same, a little worn, a little older, a little sadder. She wondered if that was true for her, too.

"You did not seem eager to see me again."

"I was a fool."

Lorna smiled. "That's okay." She threw her arm around him, banging her head on his chestplate. "That's okay."

"It's not," he replied, softly taking her chin and raising it. "But it won't happen again."

Their helmets clanged onto the floor loudly, as they forgot their surroundings in a passionate kiss.

[hr]

Eek! [face_sick]
    And this was difficult to write without making it obviously hilarious. I had to rewrite so often and was giggling uncontrollably. (Imagine Lorna forgetting to take off her helmet before throwing herself at Fett *boing!* [face_laugh] )If I get fired, it's all your fault, [b]Futon[/b].[face_tongue]

14. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Here is my terrible resolution to my cliffhanger: (I used the dinner suggestion...egads...)

RECAP:

Anakin was in the center of the alley. Suddenly, some strange creatures approached the young Jedi. They were heavily armed and pointed their blasters squarely at him. "Come with us," they ordered him, "Over my dead body," Anakin sneered as he sliced through a few of the creatures while deflecting the shots of blaster fire from the others who were not surprised by his actions.

Anakin raged with fury as he dispensed of one creature after another. Soon, there was only three left. They looked at each other and all raced at him at one time. Anakin calmed himself and jumped at the last second over the raging creatures. They all collided into each other and fell to the damp floor. Anakin landed and slaughtered the last three in one swift stroke from his blade. His alarm sense sounded but it was too late as a mysterious dark figure succumbed him from behind.

Anakin collapsed to the damp floor as the darkness peered over his unconscious form. "Prepare him," the cloaked dark figure ordered. "Yes, Master," Mas Amedda replied as he came out of the shadows.

Anakin was slowly turning on a huge stick with an apple stuck in his mouth. "My mouth is watering with anticipation," Mas Amedda drooled.

"No, MEESA mouth isa droolings withsa anticipations..." Jar Jar Binks bounded into the room. "Hey, how'd you get in here?" Mas Amedda asked dumbfounded.

"Meesa cames insa the dumbass cliffhangers resolutions, thatsa alls," Binks announced drooling and slobbering over Anakin's roasting body.

"Ewww... get that thing out of here," Anakin moaned, "It's giving me the creeps."

Darth Sidious finally meandered into the room, "What's going on in here?" he asked befuddled like an idiot.

"Master, this here creature is marinating young Skywalker with its pathetic drool," Mas Amedda reported pointing at the Gungan.

"That's okay," Sidious replied, "I've brought a certain female to this roasting, his beloved Padme, now we all can have a nice PB & J."

"PB & J?" Mas Amedda inquired dumbfounded again.

"Yes..." Sidious answered, "A Padme, Binks, and Jedi sandwich... sounds delicious doesn't it?"

"Ah...," Mas Amedda thought it over, "I just remembered I have to do my homework."

WOW! That was sheer awesomeness of the worst kind, eh...

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Kelia: [face_laugh] Oh, my that was horrible. Nice job =D=

dianethx: No one would hire him after that disaster with Darth Cadeous or Callous or Calzone or whatever his Sith name was.

That part was priceless... though I loved the rest of the awful resolution as well.

MsLanna: "Sorry," Lorna replied. "I thought this was an official thing."

[face_laugh] Well, if it had been anyone but Lorna and Fett, that may have been good resolution... only not :p

RX_Sith: "That's okay," Sidious replied, "I've brought a certain female to this roasting, his beloved Padme, now we all can have a nice PB & J."

"PB & J?" Mas Amedda inquired dumbfounded again.

"Yes..." Sidious answered, "A Padme, Binks, and Jedi sandwich... sounds delicious doesn't it?"

Oh no, you did not go there! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That was great in it's awfulness.

It seems that we all have turned our serious fictions into spoofs.

16. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
    My turn!

Recap:

Previously on Cliffhangers -

Their surroundings were beginning to warp into nothing but a large blur as Kulik continued to gun the throttle. "Slow down!" Worner urged, gripping his arm.

"I'll slow down when I'm dead." Murdak retorted.

Lyja pointed straight ahead of them. "It looks like that opportunity will arise very shortly!" The Koro-2 flew past a huge garbage trawler that was coming up fast to meet them.

Murdak jammed down on the air breaks, cutting the engines. No effect. Thinking it was some simple miscalculation, he tired it again. Still nothing. "Aw, kriff!" he turned around to face Lyja as they were barreling uncontrollably to their doom. "You might want to call in back-up now. 'Cause we're about to go out with the trash."

Simultaneously, all the occupants of the speeder screamed as they plummeted to their doom.

"I'm too young to die!" Murdak squealed. "I'm too beautiful to die! I haven't even seen Paris yet!"

Lyja broke from her shrieks of panic to shoot a befuddled look at him. "What?!"

But it was too late. The speeder plunged into the garbage hauler, spewing waste, old furniture, moldy food, and unrecognizable goo in every direction. Then the speeder exploded in a massive fireball, killing all the occupants and destroying the hauler while additionally coating the street with a nice healthy layer of incinerated ooze.

The pilot of the Koro-2 laughed an evil laugh as he fled. "Mesa got 'em gud dat time!" Jar Jar guffawed, albeit with a sinister edge. "Now dere is no one to stop mesa from taking over da Staw Wars Universe! MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!"

"Or [i]is[/i] there?"

"Wha?!" Jar Jar spun around to face the speaker. "No noes!"

As he took his eyes off the road, the speeder flew into a corner Starbucks and burst into flame. The mystery man watched the carnage and then turned around as soon as he was sure the evil gungan was dead. "All too easy." Lucas took out a small pad of paper and scratched a name off. "Next, Greedo!"

[hr]

FIN

OR IS IT?!?!?!

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Alexis ? I found that hilarious for some reason. Voyeur, indeed.
    Thanks, I had fun trying to come up with silly names for Jacen's alterego.

KELIA ? bad, bad, bad! LOL. [face_laugh] I didn't expect it at all.

Luton ? Thanks. I had a great time trying to tie in the LotF books.

MsLanna ? I don't know who Lorna is but I loved the ending on this one! Fighting turning into a passionate kiss. LOL.:*

RX_Sith - Ewwwww. LOL. [face_sick] Loved it but the grossness factor was pretty darn high!

Darth_Manion ? That was certainly unexpected. LOL. And you got to kill off JarJar ? always a plus. [face_dancing]

Great job everyone!

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Darth__Manion: "All too easy." Lucas took out a small pad of paper and scratched a name off. "Next, Greedo!"

But was't Greedo already killed off in episode IV? o_O

[face_laugh] Great job of awfulness.

19. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
    A bad cliffhanger doesn't have to make sense.;)

But thanks for the feedback! All of these have been comedy gold![face_laugh]

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    A bad cliffhanger doesn't have to make sense.;) [/quote}

Yeah, I know, that's why I was laughing 8-}

Yeah, too bad RL bad cliffhanger resolutions aren't as funny... they wouldn't be quite as annoying otherwise. :p

21. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    LP: Niiice. And duuuull, respectively. :p

Alexis: Ha, well-played (by which I mean cheaply-played). I never did trust that Google Maps. ;)

KELIA: Oh my. These are all so hideous. [face_laugh]

diane: Hound-walking business?? [face_laugh]

MsLanna: Oh, that Boba?s a real charmer, though, ain?t he?

RX_Sith: [face_sick] I don?t know which was worse, the cannibalism or the pun. ;)

Darth_Manion: I notice Jar Jar and meta-humor are two recurring elements of a poor resolution. [face_laugh]

PREVIOUSLY, ON FACE?S CLIFFHANGER WORKSHOP RESPONSE

Two tall, thin men in dark suits stand on either side of the refresher door. They have cybernetic eyes and sallow skin. Inside, Alias Sibul is washing his face. He shakes his head, sending his cyan headtails flailing. When he looks in the mirror again, it is sprinkled with droplets. He addresses his reflection. ?Hi handsome. Still alive? Good for you.? He turns away from the mirror and finds himself staring face to face with the crimson-haired woman from the game. Her green eyes are fixed on the Twi?lek man. He grins sheepishly. ?I don?t suppose you were about to say the same thing, angel??

?We?ve been over this, Alias.? She raises her pistol to the thief?s face. ?My name is Mara Jade. Please, no last words.?

Stop.

Go.

The Emperor?s Hand pulls the trigger. The Twilek thief unravels and dissolves. The rest of the room follows suit.

She stands in a completely empty green room, a simulation-helmet on her head. Mara flips the visor up, grateful to be rid of the overly complicated hologram scenario. She holsters the bulky blaster-shaped device that had just recorded her ?kill?.

?And??

?Very effective, Miss Jade.? The Imperial Intelligence agent steps into the room. ?Unfortunately, you just made Allemonde very angry, and Tryn will be using the evidence he just recorded to fuel the agenda of a regional rebel cell. If you?re ever going to be a proper Imperial agent, you have to learn patience, and to examine the impact of your actions in the field??

His lecture lasts nearly eight excruciating minutes.

I tried to write something lame that didn?t necessarily turn to self-mockery. If it?s not bad enough, I can so totally get parody on this. [face_grin]

LATE EDIT: Verb tense

22. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    RX_Sith Heh, suddenly appearing characters. Good solution, um, bad I mean. And the end is [face_sick]

Darth_Manion Death coaster the cliffhanger way. And why keeps Jar Jar coming up for the bad resolution of these? Bad character = bad resolution?[face_thinking]

The_Face Now that was just boring. A little like that one ST movie, though I can't remember if it really started with that simulation where everybody 'died'.[face_thinking] Excruciating eight minutes indeed.[face_laugh]

23. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Luton ? okay, that was bad.

Alexis_Wingstar ? I hate to tell you that I didn?t hate it at all. I loved it?for its comedic effect. [face_laugh] Nice way to deflate the cliffhanger in a most disappointing fashion!

KELIA ? ?My day started with?? [face_laugh] That was a great, awful letdown. :p

dianethx ? Cade just laid there, looking up at his sometimes girlfriend, wishing she would go find him more deathsticks and stop nagging him all the time. It wasn't as if he could find a job. No one would hire him after that disaster with Darth Cadeous or Callous or Calzone or whatever his Sith name was. Cade had tried but the Skywalker name ruined it for him. [face_laugh] Darth Calzone! Lazy Cade! Jeez, not only did you diffuse the cliffie you made it kind of blend with the ?loser? theme from the first segment. Fantastic!

MsLanna ? That was a complete 180° from where the story was going. A perfect response!

RX_Sith ? "A Padme, Binks, and Jedi sandwich... sounds delicious doesn't it?"
    That was the silliest thing I?ve read in some time. :p

Darth_Manion ? Lucas intervenes!! [face_laugh]

The_Face ? I think that this was a perfect example of a cliffie being totally destroyed by a let down. =D=

And now, my own lame resolution:

Previously:
    From the foe?s right hand came a click, and a set of lights erupted.

?Xizor sends his greetings,? the image of Kizyn sneered.

Xia recognized the device ? something decidedly not from an ancient era: a thermal detonator. As he began to toss the weapon toward Xia, she darted into the utility closet, slamming the door behind her.

The thermal detonator rolled toward the portal, and exploded. Pieces of pottery, décor, and the utility door were sent flying in a chaotic swarm as smoke billowed across the floor.

Xia shook her head and dismissed the daydream. She had to keep her head clear before entering the auction house. Sometimes she would play out possible outcomes in order to ensure that any contingency would be averted. Xia made a mental note: sweep the building thoroughly before making her move.

As expected, getting into the building through a back door via Jaysatt?s instructions was easy.

Hey ? MsLanna said I had dibs on the dream. :p I just made it a daydream.

24. Luton_Plunder

Jun 15, 2006
    *runs in, puffing* I'm back everyone!

MsLanna - See, I reckon if you're going to be fired for anything it's for that terrible cliffhanger resolution [face_laugh] Well done! Nothing like promising action and then slide into some crazy romance :p

RX_Sith - Everyone, pay careful attention to this cliffhanger resolution. The way to totally ruin your cliffies is to write Jar Jar Sithing Binks into it [face_laugh] That was a great let-down of a resolution, the like of which would turn readers away in droves. Congrats =D=

Manion - You wrote Jar Jar in, which made it BAD. And please tell me that 'Lucas' is none other than Papa George himself :D I must say, I really, really enjoy the idea of George Lucas going around and killing off the ancillary characters that he regrets creating :p In any case, wow, that was awful =D=

Face - Lame without parody is just fine ;) You've gone with the Star Wars twist on the 'it was all a dream' scenario that is dreaded by all cliffhanger writers - the 'it was all a simulation'. It's the kind of device that can seem like a great way to pull everyone into the action, but really just reverberates as a great big let down when the audience figures out that absolutely nothing was accomplished. Nicely done =D=

BigE - [face_laugh] And there! The 'just a dream' scenario. I think you'll find that your audience would be lunging through their screens trying to wring your neck for that one :p Take note, all. 'It was just a dream' is never good, ever :p

And that brings us up to date for now. Because there are one or two more members yet to post, I'll give it 24 horus before posting the next part of the challenge as well as a little wrap up of what we discovered about bad cliffie endings here. Mainly, that they're hilarious :p

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Face - all a simulation indeed. Shades of Dallas and the infamous just a dream sequence! :p

BigE - also a dream, a daydream. LOL. All too easy... :p

Great job you two!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.