main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN Clone Wars cartoons discussion thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Hama, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I have to agree about Mace being a little too powerful. If he could do stuff like that, I don't see why 100 Jedi couldn't have knocked over the entire droid army at Geonosis. Even if most of what happened was a domino effect, it would still take a tremendous effort to knock down the first couple of rows of droids.

"Dazzle" is the name brand for several devices that let you record (and output) analog or digital video and audio to your computer. So far, 14 episodes are taking up only 2.8 GB of a DVD and that's with a lot of overhead.

2. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Ok,..stupid question time: If the Millinium Falcon was too small to have a cloaking device, how in tarnation does a walking probe droid pack one of those suckers?

3. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    This question was actually brought up I believe around the time of Episode I regarding Darth Maul's ship having a cloaking device.

"The Sith Infiltrator is equipped with a terrifying technological wonder -- a full-effect cloaking device that gives invisibility upon command. An invisibility field is a formidable weapon, since it can defeat most security systems and make acts of theft, sabotage, and assassination all but unstoppable."

I believe it had something to do with the material used in making cloaking devices being used up during the Clone Wars. Another type of cloaking device was built afterwards, but it was so massive that only the largest starships could even hold the contraption. Also, the Empire of course owned the supply of this technology so that it could not be used without their permission.

I tried to look it up in the Star Wars Databank, and low & behold, the term "Cloaking Device" is not defined ANYWHERE, not even in the Expanded Universe section. I think Star Wars is getting Star Trekish in introducing technology that's terminology is mentioned in one movie (Episode V) & contradicted by another movie (Episode I) & medium of the genre without being mentioned as to WHY in the movie portion of the Star Wars Universe. 'Ol GL has some explainin' to do! :p

4. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    You mean like in that one Star Trek movie (I don't know which one it was because Star Trek completely sucks @ss) where they make a big deal out of all the swearing, even though Bones had been saying "Damn it, Jim..." for years? As in "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a very good actor."

5. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Oh yeah,. . . he makes it up as he goes. Way to go making movies out of chronological order.

6. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    "Way to go making movies out of chronological order. "

Yup! I will be SHOCKED if everything gets tied together neatly between the Prequels & the OT as Lucasfilm would like to have us believe it will. There is so much Expanded Universe stuff out there now to explain things contradictory in the OT, not to mention the Prequels. The whole blockade of Naboo confused the crap out of me until I read "Cloak of Deception". This book explained the reasoning behind the blockade & the political machinations & maneuvering of the Trade Federation by Sidious.

& I think its a safe bet that we will NEVER find out about Palpatine's ( THE Phantom Menace)background prior to Episode I.

BTW, whatever happened to Aurra Sing's envolvement in the Prequels? They basically did a major EU expansion of the character and then left her out of the script. What's up with THAT?! They could have at least brought her into the Clone Wars & maybe killed her off or something to explain it. OH WELL. :(

7. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    Well, since we are railroading this thread on how much we dislike Lucas' vision and creation, I'll throw my $.02 in on the Sith Infiltrator and one to get you thinking:

Since Darth Maul went to Naboo to pretty much destroy Kenobi and Jinn, wouldn't the Nubian government have siezed his ship and stolen the technology? Those dog-garned Jedi ships should've had this robust hardware in AOTC!! [face_laugh]

Oh wait, I suppose ol' Palpy had it confiscated for further diagnoses and research.... [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. Kir Kanos

Aug 8, 1999
    "Well, since we are railroading this thread on how much we dislike Lucas' vision and creation"

I wouldn't go that far Jay. ;) Its just that he created such a huge & detailed universe (with a backstory no less) that not everything is going to be able to get explained in the movies BY LUCAS. Many elements have to be explained outside of the movies by other authors, video games, & FANS. OR, maybe we all just don't have REAL lives that we actually have time to trivialize about this kind of stuff. ;) I GUESS WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES! :)

BTW, Who needs cloaking technology when you have "the shroud of the darkside" ;)

"wouldn't the Nubian government have siezed his ship and stolen the technology?"

"Then you've got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god."

"Whats a Nubian?"
    -Chasing Amy
    [face_laugh]

9. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Scott's right. It seems one of the recurring themes in Ep3 spoilers is: "we're not gonna explain (whatever), we'll leave that to the EU."

10. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Who said the Infiltator has a cloaking device? It wasnt in the movie so it's from EU. The cartoon superseeds EU in cannon. But since "no ship that size" has one, I guess it is a good question. Answer... I dont know.
    Maybe there is just one cloaking device that is cloaking all the droids.

I think the proplem is more that just making PREquels. The thing is noone expected SW to be this big. And when something like this grows, it doesnt just grow linear (what happens next). It grows in all directions. What happened in the past? What's happening elsewhere? Why did that happen? It makes it hard. Give the writers a break. Including GL. We have ideas cause we have read EU. He does not. And he shouldnt have too. Its his baby, let him run with it. We will just have to deal.... by debating in here.

With all the SW stuff out there. Even if one guy wanted to do it all himself (to keep it all consistent), it would take more that a lifetime to make all that stuff up (just look at Tolkien). And even then the fan-boys would pick it apart. Like you guys....

Did I just call the kettle black or what? [face_laugh]

"I'm soo confused."

"What's a Nubian? B**** you almost made me laugh."

BTW-I thought it was really cool seeing a saber made the other night. I say again, I am really digging these cartoons. Yes, Mace was WAY over the top the other night, but it was still cool to watch.

11. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, everybody says Mace was way over the top, but then again, so was Bugs Bunny. Key factor: it's a cartoon. ;)

12. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    Actually, the cartoon would also be considered EU. By no means would I consider it more canon than the Essential Guides or Amazing Cross-section books. Lucas himself considers The Holiday Special to be EU and it had the actual actors in it.

The Special Edition films
    Radio Dramas
    Novelizations of films
    Everything else
    West End Games and Marvel comics

13. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    Actually I think the cannon list is:
    fims
    scripts
    novelazations
    radio drams
    everything else

I was under the impression that the cartoon, even though it IS EU would hold a spot right under the radio dramas. This the spot that the Holiday Special used to hold before Lucas washed his hands of it. I could be wrong though, I dont remember where I read that.

How about last nights chapter. The SEANATOR was gonna help the JEDI MASTER [face_laugh]

14. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    After last night's episode it seems that 3PO has a talent for avoiding blaster fire. Also noticed that the animators (mostly like a bunch of men) gave Padme a more full womanly shape. ;)

Well adding to the canon discussion anyone know where the rank goes for the Ewoks & Droids cartoons, as well as those Ewok TV movies made in the mid 80's? I'm guessing they'ed be at about the same place as the Holiday Special, perhaps a little higher since GL doesn't appear to be ashamed of them.

15. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    I think Matt is "Keeper of the Holy Canon", where is he to clear this up for us?

16. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I think Matt is "Keeper of the Holy Canon", where is he to clear this up for us?

Oh, God please help us. [face_laugh]

17. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Did anyone else notice the difference in voices for Threepio, and espcially Captain Typho, between chapters 15 and 16? Chapter sixteen's Threepio was unquestionably Anthony Daniels, but something about the short dialogue for him in 15 struck me as "not authentic". Captain Typho on the other hand was clearly voiced by 2 different people. Chapter 15 actually sounded alot like the Anakin guy. But 16 sounded much deeper and more mature.

18. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    imdb lists Anthony Daniels as the only actor to voice his character. He's the only one listed as voicing C3PO. (They have been in error before, so take it for whaat it's worth.)

19. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Got this from my on-line Dark Horse Comics newsletter-

Hayden Blackman talks Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures

The second season of Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoons have
    recently hit the airwaves on Cartoon network and we're proud
    to announce that Dark Horse Comics will be doing brand new
    stories in that time period and art style!

We sat down with Clone Wars Adventures writer Hayden
    Blackman to get his thoughts on the Clone Wars!

Click here to read all about it:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/news/interviews.php?id=938

Now with the comic coming out that EU is getting even bigger...

20. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Here's the schedule for the marathon of shows on April 10th for our time zone:

8 pm CW Chapters 1-5
    8:30 Boring Teen Titans cartoon
    9 pm CW Chapters 6-10
    9:30 Boring cartoon
    10 pm CW Chapters 11-15
    10:30 guess what? More boring Teen Titans
    11pm CW Chapters 16-20

I'm going to try and tape the season 2 marathon on Friday night, that way we could just watch all of them on Saturday w/o interuption.

21. Scruff

May 25, 1999
    So, I take it you don't like the Teen Titans? It's a bit silly, but I like it. Ok, granted, it could be a LOT better.

22. DVDMaster

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually I don't know a thing about Teen Titans, but it seems ridiculous to make us watch another show in between chapters. They could have at least given us an Adult Swim show like Family Guy or Futurama. Let's be honest, the majority of the CW audience are likely to be old enough to vote.

23. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    I love Family Guy and Futurama (and Justice League) but wouldnt it just be better to run CW in one block.
    But the best idea is just using a tape, that way we can FF through the commercials and stuff.

24. Toymaster

Jan 19, 2002
    I thought Dooku severed Anakin's arm closer to the shoulder...

25. GMSepiroth

Apr 13, 2002
    Good point Toymaster. Dooku did cut his arm higher. Just another point for the uber-geeks and continuity freaks to hagle over. Here is another one too:

The Ep1 novel says that OB1s saber shorts out when he his in a lake just after ariving on Naboo (that is why he was running from the STAP instead of standing and fighting). BUT we see OB1 and Anakin both fighting in the rain (on Kaminn and in the cartoon), plus we see Kit Fisto using his underwater on Calamri.
    So what gives?
    My guess is that OB1s first saber was an "inferior" saber.

Chapter 19 was intense!! I loved it. We clearly saw Anakin was fighting with his anger. WE see flashes of OB1 and Yoda during the climax but I thought it was very reminsecent of the final duel. Anakin was hacking away in the same fashion that Luke was.

BTW: Do ya think Asajj is dead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.