main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Actually, the fruit stand alien reminded me of Yosemite Sam. [face_laugh]

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Alright folks, can I initiate a call for all EU-fans to give me a little help in the LACWAC continuity thread?

Over the last month or so a rather significant number of new folks have begun a sort of EU-bashing movement. I'm certain the vast majority of them have no idea what the EU actually is, and have formed this invisible wall between TCW/the films and the rest of the Star Wars franchise, when they don't seem to realize the TCW shows are part of the EU. They're perfectly happy to accept Quinlan, Maridun, Ruusan, and everything else TCW has used from the EU, and yet they still consider the EU complete and utter crap.

I will accept them dismissing the EU. But I will not accept them bashing it without investigating it first.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oooooh can we revive the EUDF? I'll see what I can do.

4. DarthMRN

DarthMRN Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2007
    They seem to be perfectly in their right.

TCW isn't EU, the dividing line seems plenty wide, and what it borrows from the EU doesn't turn out quite how it originally was. We could perhaps speak of 'occasionally inspired by the EU'.

So I think the best you could reasonably ask from a TCW fan is that they be respectful of the EU for politeness' sake, or respectful of the inspiration for certain things they have seen on the show. Anything above that is gravy, and would per definition make them EU fans rather than TCW fans.

5. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Any idea when the "delightful" Savage Oppress will be revealing himself...?

*Shudders...

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's on in a manner none too dissimilar to that of Donkey Kong.

:cool:

*charges*

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Hrm. I've seen this movie before. Spoilers: it's going to end in a stalemate, with much undue anger and frustration on both sides.

Let's not have a LACWAC/Lit war, please? :p

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have no doubt it will be that bad, but the TCW generation is the next EU generation so we need to make sure Lucas doesn't get them! [face_laugh]

9. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    The only true EU is GoDV, we all know that.

10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'll be happy to try and help out.

11. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Forth Eorlingas!!!

I'd rather it not turn into a war either, Quest. The tales I have heard of the old Canon Wars sound vicious enough. If we can all approach the situation with civility and rationality it should turn out all right, methinks.

EDIT: just realized I called RF "Quest". *facepalm*

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    In the end, it doesn't matter if it bashes them or not. The EU is what it is, and the clone wars series is what it is. That series is not in the same level as the other regular EU stuff stands. The clone wars under the direction of GL is to mine the EU and use whatever it needs for the series to make it the way he wants it and make it his official movie canon or whatever they call it. Thats the cold, hard, truth.

GL said it that the animated series will explore all those issues of the clone wars that he could not do in the movies. It's in the last star wars insider.

Bash or not bash who cares. My big complaint is why do a second animated series of spoofs and stuff like that when you can do a good OT animated series like the clone wars and get much more mileage out of it. They got about a dozen Vader's they can use for voice acting so thats not a big deal and they could use that dude that does Sidious/Palpatines voice.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    You responded! I love you guys!!! [:D] Group hugs all 'round!

I don't want to relive the Canon Wars either... I was just annoyed by the steady rise of EU hatred developing in LACWAC.

I've never been a fan of this silly "pillar" business. Star Wars is Star Wars. Be it TCW or KOTOR or ESB or DE or RC or OT or PT or whatever acronym have you. It's all under one roof, dagnabbit.

14. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Neither have I.

I don't think that it is going to turn into a full-blown canon war, to be honest. It seems to have cooled down a bit. Of course, it might just be everyone reloading.

This is fun! I'll try not to unleash another of my diatribes against TCW that I used to do in this thread [face_peace]

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This is nothing new Barriss, the anti-EU'ers have been there all along - while they tune in every Friday to watch the EU:p.

It's just going to continue to get more pronounced as more new takes on existing material surfaces. The more TCW seperates(or rewrites) itself from the rest of the expanded universe the worse things will get.

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Eh, Barriss, I'll maybe throw my 2 cents in at some point, but TCW itself has incensed me enough that I don't want to explode much further.

17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Felt kinda odd venturing into another forum. Hope I didn't catch anything.[face_worried]

:p

I find it strange that some of them claimed that people shouldn't care that deeply about stuff in the EU to get upset or angry if something is changed, and yet they joined a fan site for the discussion of all things Star Wars. They obviously cared enough to join and post their thoughts. I'm sure there is something that could provoke fanrage from them.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Tisk, tisk. I resign from the forum and 6 months later you're letting it turn into 3SA- shame on you! ;)

The continuity headaches of TCW have no doubt contributed to the sentiment- for the first 2 seasons, there wasn't much in the way of any EU problems (beyond Ryloth), but now we're getting some face palms every week, it seems. What was once "Huh, their using EU, guess I'll have to tolerate that." is now "See? Their not really using the EU, we should ignore it".

But I think that will eventually mellow out. Anyone who goes "See? This season is destroying the EU!" you can just go "Oh, and how are you liking this EU-destroying season so far, compared to the previous EU-using ones?". The silence will be followed by a quiet *POP!* and a wisp of smoke. ;)

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    THANK YOU! The only reason I hadn't mentioned it was I couldn't think of the Pecos's name, and my Google Fu was weak and uninspired. But yes, I knew he had to be based on Pecos, even before the species name clinched it.

For those wondering what the hell we're talking about . . . Crambone!

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    What the....

[face_laugh] Good grief... I don't remember that show being that good...

Yeah, the EU-detractors have been there for a while, but with Season 3 being less-than-stellar, the arrival of Quinlan Vos, and a whole host of new '10 users this year, there's been a LOT more bashing this year than in the past.

Hey now... nothing wrong with the 3SA!:p

But yes, I definitely see it mellowing out in the future. My suspicion is Quinlan's the spark that's ignited the gunpowder. Can't get much worse than this unless they throw in Xizor or Thrawn.

(Why did I just use that expression? Curse you, Crambow!)

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    No no no oh Waru no... don't give them any ideas...

It already seems to have mellowed out a little. But that may just be because everyone had class in the morning :p I think the Savage Oppress/ Asajj Ventress thing may also have played a factor in it. That seemed to inspire a lot of rage from the EU side.

This is actually one of the few times I have ventured beyond the Lit Forums, aside from the Amphitheatre :p

22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    What's this?

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Here kitty kitty k-uh k-uh k-uh kitty!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] =D=

24. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    I love Tom & Jerry but it's been several years since I watched the show so I couldn't remember his name either.
    I just did a quick search on Youtube for Jerrys uncle and the name popped up immediately.
    My Youtube Fu is stronger than I thought.:-B

Maybe it's just me, but I also thought the voice of the torture droid J0-N0 sounded like the Microsoft Sam voice in Windows.

BTW, in one of the previews for Hunt for Ziro we can see a shuttle approaching a planet.
    Do you think this is a new planet or something from the EU?

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Probably Nal Hutta. [face_laugh]