main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The R5 was the best part of the episode. He should have been put in command by Dooku.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    34 ABY is 53 years after the end of the Clone Wars.

3. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    What did he do that was so bad that w know came from him?

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That should have been BBY [face_blush]

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Todays Episode of the Clone Wars Onderon Arc was one of the best of the entire series I think (much better than boring Krell episodes that only were enjoyable for unique Umbaran tech). For one it showcased not only that no continuity troubles are needed, but also that it used a lot of diverse technology only seen in the EU so far. Several types of grenades (smoke, explosive, anti-droid, etc.) as well as one way shields and more in addition to giving Onderon even more diversity and unique designs than before, even adding many long missed things to the show: Torture droid like Jabba had one, AOTC-esque containment field for prisoners, and more. The episode really felt like a beginning of a proper insurgency and paralelled many Rebel Alliance tales and characteristics of Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and Garm Bel Iblis without replacing them or hurting later continuity at all. If TCW runs like that, it may go on for a long while I think, so long it keeps from hurting continuity. Well done episode I can only recommend!

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Why were the Krell episodes boring?

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    They're not. Whoever believes this is seriously mistaken. It's the zenith of the show, rather than the nadir.

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Krell episodes had only 3 good things: Umbaran tech and world, the space battle and new spaceships and Rex.

Krell himself was unbelievable as Jedi and leader and the whole story was set up from the beginning too obvious. also it basically was a 1 episode story dragged into several episodes. so it bored the hell out of me. shooting, fighting, no plot or not much if any. it lacked a lot of depth.

the episodes were good compared to others, but even continuity trouble episodes I liked some way more than Krell episodes. can't help it there. Krell himself sucked, the rest of the episodes had some value.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is the droid General in these past two episodes meant to evoke a particular species? It kinda seemed like it was trying to carry on the droids-designed-to-look-like-their-creators motif. It almost made me think of a 3-eyed Aqualish (with the singular "tusk" look), if such a thing existed.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't really look at that kind of thing too closely, but the impression I got was that he was a regular general droid that Rash had tricked out with Onderonian ornamentation/armor.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks different to me. Leaner, and with three eyes instead of two.

Doesn't look that much smarter though...they should have listened to the general and used living soldiers. See how much support the rebels get when they are killing local officers instead of breaking foreign machines.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks more bird-like from that angle. head on shots are what gave me the Aqualish impression.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Looks like a more advanced take on the Tactical droid series. It shares a lot of basic design aspects, if not all that many similar parts- head with hooded eyes and semi-beaked nose/mouth. Neck with lateral braces. Torso with upper structure wider than abdomen with curved vertical struts. Upper arms and shoulders are new, but elbows are the same, and the hands are borrowed from Super Battle droids and are more durable.

I wonder if over time the CIS set up various ranks of Droid Officers for independent operations- OOM droids are local battlefield leaders, roughly equivalent to a Major or Captain and serve under organics at all times, Tactical Droids who are more sophisticated and have more initiative and authority, but are still often seconded to organics, but are sometimes put in charge by them, like a Colonel, and these new ones which can operate near independently, and act as Generals, capable of fighting and winning without needing organic oversight.

These are speculation based on not having seen the episode myself yet.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Looks like a more advanced take on the Tactical droid series. It shares a lot of basic design aspects, if not all that many similar parts- head with hooded eyes and semi-beaked nose/mouth. Neck with lateral braces. Torso with upper structure wider than abdomen with curved vertical struts. Upper arms and shoulders are new, but elbows are the same, and the hands are borrowed from Super Battle droids and are more durable.

I wonder if over time the CIS set up various ranks of Droid Officers for independent operations- OOM droids are local battlefield leaders, roughly equivalent to a Major or Captain and serve under organics at all times, Tactical Droids who are more sophisticated and have more initiative and authority, but are still often seconded to organics, but are sometimes put in charge by them, like a Colonel, and these new ones which can operate near independently, and act as Generals, capable of fighting and winning without needing organic oversight.

These are speculation based on not having seen the episode myself yet.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So you're saying it looks like a more advanced take on the Tactical droid series?

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now we just wait to see if it starts appearing in any crippled kids' dreams.

The2ndQuest , JackG and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Wrong faction my friend, wrong faction :p

Well it is called a Super Tactical Droid. ;)

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    episode guide is up and where the episode was continuity error free the guide adds errors... d'oh

R9 unit? really? REALLY? come on...

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Might just be the name :)

20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So, it's a later model? It's not impossible for a later R9-series to be a relaunch.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    no more relaunches or I demand X-Wings in TCW!

really, it could be just the name. but why name a later brandnew droid series after droids that had that name for ages already? this is stupid. sure retconnable. but I'd not change all droid releases around just for one error.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, I stopped expecting the R-series to make sense years ago.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The CWAS (non-Internet) guides already gave the explanation that any "late-numbered" R-units are experimental models.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Thought experiment: how many letters are there? And how many R2 units?

Answer: give up. [face_whistling]

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ha! That's already covered as well - the actual name of a droid is a long boring serial number - it's common shorthand to use one or two alphanumerics from the beginning or end (R-units the last two, 3P0 units the first one). So, technically there's an uncountable number of R2-D2s in the galaxy... which we'll never see, of course. :p