main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Clone Wars web comics: Official thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Hey, This is now up on [link=http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/comic/]starwars.com[/link]

Story by Pablo Hidalgo
    Art by Thomas Hodges

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ugh...the reader is a cute concept, but it would load quicker if all I had to do was click through JPEGs...

Nice stuff, though. I like.

3. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Hey, this was really good! Senor Hodges has really stepped up his game! I can't wait to see more of these.

Will Pablo single-handedly fix the muttled Clone Wars continuity crisis? If Holo-Net news and this are any indication, he's well on his way and doing a fine job of it, too.

4. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I gave up after 30 minutes of waiting on the final pic. It's not very 56k friendly.

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm confused. How did HNN and this comic fix any continuity? Or are you just holding out hope for that eventually?

6. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, smarty-pants :p , it didn't "fix" any continuity (yet?) but it's an extension of the HoloNet news that made mention to, at least, two other sources (the ongoing SSD debate and the KOTOR comics). Soooooo, for those worried that TCW is pulling itself apart from established continuity, both of these have done a small job of keeping it "part of the EU family".

At least, that's how it's looking to me. But that's just me I guess.

My thought is just that Pablo has a really great outlet here to hel fix some TCW things and I hope he uses it. I think he will. I'm eternally optimistic.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I like the concept.

I wish the zoom was just a tiny bit bigger though. I either am stuck with a full page view where the text is too small to read, or I click zoom and it gets so big that I have to keep scrolling around all the time.

I put those down to teething problems though. I think its nice though to see them providing some genuinely decent content through SW.com recently. I just hope once they've used the Clone Wars to pull the fans in, that they give us some stuff from other series too-- both to keep the fans like us happy, and because it makes sense once new people are using the site to try and lure them into KOTOR and Legacy eras etc.

8. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    You're not alone. :oops:

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it needs to be sized better, and I wish Hodges would just ignore some of the more egregious animationizations (seriously, what in the hell is up with Dooku in this show?), but it looks like a really interesting way to explore some characters a little more.

10. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Both were interesting reads, but are Phuii supposed to be that tall? I always thought they were a shorter species, just long-necked.

11. Galactica500

Galactica500 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2006
    The typeface gave me trouble no matter what browser I was using. It didn't matter how I zoomed. It diminished the experience when I'm squinting at half cut off sentences.

The jist was pretty fun though.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait a minute now. Now Po Nudo built the Death Star? :p

Anyway, these were pretty cool. And I'm glad we're finally seeing Thire in action. IIRC, he was the named first clone we heard spoilers about for ROTS, even though his role was less than negligible. I've been waiting for him to do something in SW for a looong time now.

13. Bly

Bly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Agreed, but why is he only a lieutenant?

14. Darth_HaNotsri

Darth_HaNotsri Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2007
    I wish I could download the .pdf

15. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006

Did you zoom in and then click, hold, and drag the image around? Might seem like a "duh" thing, but that actually took me awhile to figure that one out. [face_blush]

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Bly Bly Bly.... when will you learn? Haven't all the clones we're familiar with changed rank for this show? Even Yularen's done it!

They're obviously trying to mess with your mind. They don't like you, Bly. It's a personal thing. You did kill Aayla, after all.

17. Bly

Bly Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I know...and then I tried to kill Lo'gaan...but why do they have to mess with my brothers like this?:_|

:p

18. Trip

Trip Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Somebody needs to steal Pablo's copy of Flash. Stat.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The reference to "the great old slug" is amusing, especially in light of KOTOR's exogorths and the reference to that in the new HNN podcast, hehe.

I agree- it'd be nice for there to be different levels of zoom. Slightly smaller than the full zoom would be sufficient to minimize scrolling but still be readable unlike the framed-zoomed-out version. Evena zoomed out version zoomed in slightly more to eliminate the framing might even work,

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    If only he had mentioned it was [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Slug_Named_Grendel]a recent bestselling novel[/link] instead. ;-)

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If you zoom in, and then zoom out, you get a version that avoids the need to sidescroll, and only has minimal grab-and-drag up and down. Still not perfect, but far better than either the standard presentation or the full zoom-in.

22. TDHArtist

TDHArtist LFL Webstrip Artis star 4 VIP

Dec 31, 2000
    The interface is still a "Work in Progress" as improvements are being worked out. I know some people can zoom in and move the pages around easily to read it and some folks can't.

Hopefully it'll be worked out quickly so you guys can enjoy it more.

23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yeah, it was a matter of getting used to it, but then it wasn't any problems. A little fiddly, but I'm sure you'll work things out.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 19, 2000
    It looks good....
    But I really don't understand the idea behind vertically orientated web comics!

25. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Q. F. T.

It's a lot nicer once you decompile the SWFs. It's actually made of several 802x1240 JPG files that have been buried in crap. Without the pointlessly cumbersome interface and the utterly mind-boggling "shadow" effect, it's MUCH more readable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.