main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clouded Memories (post-Rebirth Anakin, third in Solo kids trilogy)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Melyanna, Sep 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wahoo! I have a reload link!

(It's the little things that make me happy...)

:D

2. Eldritch009

Eldritch009 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Again a great post. Up you go! (This was on page 2 already!)

3. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Just found this story and i loved it.

4. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I'm so glad you started this one so soon, Anakin is my favorite Solo kid. (Not surprising, is it?) I love how they have 5 kids, you don't see very many children in Star Wars. Very well written too! :D And so what if Anakin is off chasing Vong... I don't believe we have specific date for this story ;) When do we get the third edition? :D :D :D

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    WOW!!
    You've already started this... but I should have known, Miss overachiever.
    Anyways, great posts, already got this on ATN.

And you have a TPM rewrite? where is it (or at least what is it called) I wanna read it!

6. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    No, not a new post.

luney: I did give a time. Go re-read the first post.

R...J: My TPM rewrite is called Behind the Mask. Actually, the movie part is over, but my readers want more Obi/Sabé mush, so it's still going.

Actually, you all might consider reading that, but I'm resisting the temptation to say why. (You can't say either, luney.)

7. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    I caught it now... sheesh, I TRY to play Ms Attorney... ;)

The reason you should all read Behind the Mask is because the mush is so cute, and it has Obi-Dearest. :D (Not that he is as good as say, Lukie, but he comes close. ;))

8. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    I must admit, the cave-on-Tatooine scene (with the random Darklighter child thrown in at the beginning) is one of my better mush scenes.

9. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Sorry about the lack of posting this morning. I will try to get something up later today. :D

While you're waiting, go read my TPM rewrite or something. (I don't know; surely you people aren't that addicted to my writing. ;) )

10. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Here is the promised post!

-------

Julie didn't strike Anakin as the aristocratic type. She didn't have the demeanor that he associated with his mom. She was a lot like Jaina, a lot like Tahiri, and a lot like Mara. In other words, she was completely herself.

"So where are you from?" she asked conversationally.

"Coruscant," he replied shortly.

"Oh," she said, clearly surprised. "You know, I've never met anyone outside this district, let alone from a different planet. So are you a Jedi in hiding or something?"

"Do you guys not get the HoloNet?" he asked instead.

"The what?"

"The HoloNet. You know, galactic news and stuff like that."

"I've never heard of it. But we're not allowed to have contact with the outside."

Anakin raised an eyebrow. "Does this have something to do with the fact that everyone out there thinks this planet was destroyed by Darth Vader in the early part of the Emperor's reign?"

"Yes," she answered, growing increasingly uncomfortable.

"Why wasn't it destroyed?" he pressed.

"Because Anakin Skywalker's wife was from Naboo." She looked at him curiously. "Is Anakin a common name now?"

"No. My mother named me Anakin as a symbol of forgiveness," he replied, careful not to show his surprise at the origin of his grandmother or to reveal his relationship to Vader.

"Wait," she said, almost cutting him off. "Is the Empire gone?"

"The Empire has been gone for over twenty years, Julie." He couldn't imagine living his entire life hiding from something that didn't exist, but she had done just that. After all, they were just about the same age.

She was silent for a while. "That doesn't mean we'd be able to leave, though."

"Why not?"

"Anakin Skywalker gave the government strict instructions not to let anyone leave the planet. They have followed that to the letter, as far as I know. Though I've heard that King Richard and Prince Armand have been doing a little discreet recon," she added. "I have no idea what they've learned, if the rumors are even true."

Anakin was surprised into silence. He knew that Naboo must have had an interesting history to have become the target of Vader instead of the Emperor, but he had never dreamed that this was the real history. He found himself wondering how his grandfather had met his grandmother, if maybe Anakin Skywalker had saved her life once, if he had, as a Jedi, been sent to protect her, or any number of scenarios involving the people he had never met.

Before he knew it, they were at the site of the wreck. The image of the mangled X-wing made Anakin's stomach churn again. The crash was still very vivid in his memory. He barely heard Julie next to him ask, "Are you okay, Anakin?"

"I'm okay," he replied, his voice a little tense.

"This had to have been one scary crash," she commented. "Even for a Jedi."

"Yes," he answered distantly.

"Man, the crew is going to have a lot of fun repairing this one," Julie commented.

"No, I'm going to fix it myself," Anakin replied, a little force behind his voice.

"Like my father will let you. It's an emotional thing to have to do this kind of repairwork to your own ship. It's better to let someone else do it for you." She looked around. "There's nothing we can really do here, though. Why don't I show you around the property a little?"

Anakin shrugged. "Okay."

-------

You know me, it's anyone's guess as to whether or not I get the next post done this evening.

EDIT: Wow, there was a sentence in there that didn't make sense. Sorry about that.

11. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    great job! this story might be the best one so far in the SOlo kids series.
    I didn't know you did a TPM rewrite... I believe I'll read it.
    btw, I'm starting my own alternate Au, just for the heck of it. If anyone wants to write one of the first short stories/one posters in it, they can PM me and tell me what they want to do with it briefly (even 1 sentence will do if it is an accurate description). I will most definitely say it can belong to my AEU, because i need good stuff for it. I will probably post a directory of it/notes on it soon.

12. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Julie is an interesting character, me thinks she and Anakin will get along very well. :D Very nicely done on her divulging secrets to him, stuff he probably shouldn't know about. :D I love the "is Anakin a popular name now" line :D You'd think so. ;)

I have to wonder what the King and Prince are up to ;)

Well, *I* hope the next part will be up tonight, I have faith in ya Mely! ;)

13. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, well, the problem is that I have this stupid mandatory meeting later tonight, and then I have to choose between this and my TPM rewrite.

Speaking of which, yes, I have a TPM rewrite. The reason why few of you have read it is because I started it before OP+J, and then I abandoned it for a time when I started this trilogy. I wasn't an author any of you but Orion (I think) were reading.

And luney, I can't imagine why you would be curious about that. ;)

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    great post!

15. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    The reason you'd have completely different readers is the separation of NJO junkies, and Pre ANH junkies. :D (Or TPM ppls ;)) There are those of us who read all kinds though. I venture through all kinds of stories though, but I definatly prefer NJO. :D I'd have to suggest to all of you guys to read Behind THe Mask though, it is very good, and Mely's style of writing, which I know you love. :)

I can't imagine why I would be curious about that either, Mely. I just notice the small things I suppose. ;)

16. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    We're baiting them terribly, luney. I guess you're turning me into a true fanfic writer, creating suspense among the readership and the like. :D

17. Jedi_A1A

Jedi_A1A Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    Great posts Melyanna. I love your stories. :D And I'm glad your makin' an Anakin fic, he's my fave character.

18. McCord

McCord Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 1999
    I have to say that this "Solo kid trilogy" is one of the coolest series I've read. Keep up the wonderful writing.

19. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks, McCord! I wish the profic writers would do something similar.

Anyway, if you're a new reader and I haven't personally greeted you yet, welcome aboard!

I will endeavor to start the next post once I get some networking issues resolved on my computer. (A problem just popped up about an hour ago, so I'm using my roommate's computer.)

In the meantime, I'd recommend you read "Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten" by padawan lunetta. (At least I think that's the title. That's the general idea anyway.) luney and I are writing these stories to coincide somewhat. Some characters I've mentioned here are in that one more extensively, so if you want more about them, go read hers!

The other thing I'd recommend is reading my TPM rewrite, Behind the Mask. There's a huge plot hint for this one in that one if you read really carefully! (Hint hint.)

20. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    *Runs to read Behind the Mask.

21. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    There's a problem in the first post, where it changed some special characters into question marks when I edited. Those are supposed to be the e with the accent. I only know how to do that on my Mac, and, like I said, it's having network issues. I'll fix it soon, though.

22. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    That's the first post of "Behind the Mask", that is.

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Mely you are already an excellent *true* fanfic writer, I am just showing you how to be more evil. ;) (I've learned a lot from my beta, hehehehe)

Anywho, I can't wait for the next edition! :D

24. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Ahoy, mates!

Okay, I don't know where that came from, but I fixed my network issue (all by myself, I might add) and completed the next post! Here it is!

-------

Julie took her father's guest into the forest, though they circled around the woods to enter it away from the crash site. Around noon, she figured he was getting pretty hungry, since he hadn't eaten much at breakfast, so she led him into the well-kept orchard that flowed into the wilder forest.

She walked up to a large, isolated tree, weighed down with some kind of small, bloodred fruit. The Jedi was still following her, but he stopped when she put her foot in a low Y-branch. "Are you going to climb that thing?"

She continued climbing. "This thing is a cherob tree. The best fruit is toward the center and the top of the tree, and the only way to get it is to climb the tree. So, yes, I'm going to climb it. Be ready to catch."

"What?"

"Be ready to catch. I can't very well climb up here, pick a lot of fruit, and climb back down, can I?"

"I suppose not."

She moved up higher in the tree and started picking fruit, tossing the cherobs down to Anakin as she went. She glanced down occasionally and saw that an occasional cherob flew wild and suddenly curved back to him. She realized that he was using the Force somehow to catch them. "Hey, no fair!"

"What do you mean?" he replied indignantly. "You can't expect me to catch all of them without a little help."

"My brother can."

"Your brother is, what, four?"

"Open your eyes, Anakin. Trehnt is fourteen and Marc is ten. We're all spaced two years apart."

"Which brother were you referring to?"

"Either." She launched another one down to him and turned around before she could see if he'd caught it. "I wouldn't recommend eating that one, by the way."

"Why not?" She could hear wariness in his voice.

"Because it's full of these disgusting little bugs."

Looking down, Julie saw him drop it. As she expected, it shattered on impact, and hundreds of tiny insects spread over the ground, scattering down the slope toward the forest. Anakin backed away quickly. "That's disgusting!"

"That's what I said," she replied, smiling a little.

After she'd picked about fifty, Julie came down from her perch. The two sat in the tree's shade and consumed the cherobs, practically whole. As the day wore on, they remained there, forming a fast friendship. Julie wasn't quite sure why, but she felt like she knew Anakin already somehow. It's almost like he's one of my brothers. I feel like I've known him forever.

They had moved out from under the tree and were lying on their backs, watching the darkening clouds roll across the sky, when Anakin asked, "Julie, how did you know that that piece of fruit had all those bugs in it?"

She looked over at him. "I don't know. It just felt different. Couldn't you tell?"

He was staring at her oddly. "No. It felt just like the others."

She shook her head. "That's not what I meant. Something told me that it was different, that it wasn't right. I've broken enough of those open to know what that feeling means." His stare was making her more uncomfortable. "Didn't you feel anything wrong?"

"They were too small for me to sense without knowing they were there," he replied. Julie hoped that he'd drop the subject. To her relief, he did.

A few minutes later, she sat up suddenly. The wind shifted directions, blowing wisps of brown hair in her face. Anakin propped himself up on one elbow. "What is it?"

"There's a storm coming in," she replied, scrambling to her feet. He got up after her and followed her lead up the hill.

They were only a few meters closer to the house when the skies opened, drenching them almost instantly. She slowed down and looked at him. "What?" he yelled over the sudden storm.

"White was not a good color for you to wear today."

He looked down at his tunic, which was now almost completely transparent and clinging to his upper body, showing off quite a physique. He glanced at her, turning red. She took off at a sprint up the

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    great post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.