main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta - Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Guidman , Aug 3, 2018.

?

What book should we read next?

1. No Prisoners by Karen Traviss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cloak of Deception by James Luceno

45.0%
  3. Revan by Drew Karpyshyn

20.0%
  4. Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

20.0%
  5. Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp

15.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi everyone, welcome to the next installment of Club Jocasta! I'll get right to the important question:
    [​IMG]

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno was the top vote getter so that's what's on tap this time.
    [​IMG]

Any and everyone are welcome to participate, so if you need to get the book go ahead and if you have it already start reading. We'll probably start discussing in the next week.

Also, remember to vote in the poll for the next book that we'll read!

We're all friends here and share this great passion so please remember to:
    [​IMG]

2. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
  3. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Got through the first couple of chapters. Pretty much starts out at the time Obi-Wan is currently on Utapau.

-It's been awhile since I've read an EU book but I forgot how much more graphic detail they give during fight/battle scenes. Not sure if that was a Disney mandate or not to tone that down.

-Interesting thought that Shryne feels less attuned to the Force with more Jedi's being killed during the Clone Wars. As if it's a collective Force that helps the Jedi feel and use the Force. More for the lesser skilled Force users.

-From all we've seen in The Clone Wars, the clone troopers did develop strong relationships with the Jedi. Even though Order 66 was implanted in their programming, it could certainly be a logical assumption that some of the clones would question it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Ava G., Subtext Mining and AusStig like this.
  4. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Luceno does a real good job conveying Vader's emotions and physical pain after his talk with the Emperor (really liked how he went over the bad job the droids did operating on him). I think most people can relate to having their confidence shaken at some point in their lives and it being tough sometimes to get back on the horse. I'm sure he was probably relieved when Chatak attacked him on Murkana so he could engage a Jedi again and test out how he could fight with his new suit and mechanical limbs.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Guidman I'll read a few chapters this weekend and jump in - I love this book, the Luceno/Stover trilogy, really. Also, great choices for the next one - I'm a fan of both Heir to the Jedi and Lords of the Sith, that came out around the same time with the new canon - voted for LotS.

AusStig and Guidman like this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm through part I of the book, my initial thought is:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Ava G., ThisIsMe1138 and Guidman like this.
  7. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    How far into the book are we allowed to discuss at this point? I'm aboot 1/3 through.

I'll start by saying how much I like the intro with Shryne and his Force vision of the momentary rift. I wonder how many other Jedi saw something like that.

It's also a real treat to be able to see inside the heads of the Clones while Order 66 is going down. Particularly Climber and his fellows who chose not to follow commands. And of course also being able to witness the experiences of the Jedi while being turned on by their troopers.

And, well, of course also being able to experience what it's like to be Vader from his point of view; I love following the psychological transformation, but I won't get into that, if it's not time yet.

Patience, young Cubman. :p

Guidman and AusStig like this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I found this part interesting since it was clearly written well before The Clone Wars arc about the chips - just goes to show how little regard the shows and movies had for the EU before the Disney buyout, doubt we'll see this kind if contradiction in the new canon.

9. Voss Fulris

Voss Fulris Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2018
    So... I forgot to watch this thread, and then forgot to start the book :oops:. Not ideal. I'll try and catch up and join you soon

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted for Cloak of Deception. I read that back in 2002, and I reread it in 2014. I liked it. I don't think it's too dry as others say. Yes, it deals with some serious issues, of course, but I think it's pretty good. I like how Qui-Gon is so fixated on his mission, and Palpatine undermines Valorum at every turn. I don't even like Palpatine as a character, but I actually am amused by his cleverness in that novel.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  11. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    When I first read the relationship between Shryne and Jula, I groaned. Thankfully the chapter after calmed that down somewhat but we'll see what happens with it.
    Really, really liked the chapter with Palpentine thinking about Anakin and Vader. Everyone is just a pawn in Palpentine's plans, him bringing Anakin and Padme years ago to tempt him and once they were married he knew Anakin would turn to the dark side. Reminded me of Blofeld telling Bond in Spectre that "he was the author of all his pain".

Subtext Mining and AusStig like this.
  12. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    @Guidman, how far into the book can we discuss now? Cubman used to give us periodic guideposts as the weeks progressed. What's your style, man? ;)

I finished, btw. Not that I'm going to dive right into the ending now or anything, just wondering.

I liked being able to hear about the struggles parents have with giving away their children to the Jedi, as well as the honor & pride. It was interesting how Shryne's parents were in disagreement.

Yes. I like how Luceno quoted himself from the Darth Plagueis novel:
    "Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you. Tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face. Tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you. And tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."

One of the many things this book adds perspective to is why Vader is the way he is in RotJ, Sidious really sinks his fangs in deep and keeps that leash short.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Thanks Subtext, that's a good idea. I'll do that going forward. I apologize, I've haven't been getting thru this book as fast as I'd hoped. I'm 200 pages in so let's say the first three parts of the book are open for discussion.

Subtext Mining and cubman987 like this.
  14. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'd also say you can discuss further on if you like but use spoiler tags for anything after about the 2/3 point.

Subtext Mining and Guidman like this.
  15. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I was just sent here through another book club that had ended. Is a new thread made for each book read? I will, hopefully join in with you guys at the next book! :D

Happy reading!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Guidman likes this.
  16. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Happy to have you @Moll. A new thread is created for each book. There's a poll at the top to vote for what book we'll read next. There's a separate thread that stickied where you can suggest any other books to read as well.

Moll likes this.
  17. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Just finished it. Overall I enjoyed this one a good amount. Certainly got better throughout. Once it gets to Alderaan and certainly Kashyyk, it's really good. I liked seeing the introduction of Vader and Tarkin and the start of the relationship between them.

Certainly the highlight of the book is how Vader goes from being a broken figure, both physically and mentally, at the beginning to who we are used to by the end. Fully embracing the dark side and ways of the Sith in his fight with the Jedi and Shryne, he's now one of the most feared people in the galaxy. Loved that brief chapter in the epilogue where he is addressed with Lord Vader wherever he walks, in respect and fear.

I enjoy Luceno's books a lot. He's one of the better Star Wars writer's in my opinion. As Claudia Gray has a real knack for writing Leia, Luceno does a great job with the Empire and Dark Side.

Feel free to share any thoughts on the book and don't forget to vote in the poll for our next novel. We'll get that under way in the coming weeks. This thread will stay open for awhile for anyone who hasn't finished or general discussion.

cubman987 , Ava G. and AusStig like this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Dark Lord:... was probably one of-if not my favorite of the Legends books. It was actually the first Star Wars book I ever read, and to this day I can't think of a better one. I bet I could if I tried, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...Thrawn trilogy? There we go. But still. Kind of like the special place you have in your heart for a first child, that's this one for me, that started my literary Star Wars journey back in 2005!

I really enjoyed the connections with the later part of ROTS and how (especially from Obi-Wan's perspective) the events even overlapped slightly. But especially I enjoyed seeing the fleshing out of Darth Vader's internal struggles having lost and left all he knew, struggling to find his footing for his future, his early relationship with Darth Sidious, and him becoming acclimated to his new mechanical suit. Great stuff there...

IMO this should be the canon detailing of Darth Vader's first days as a Sith.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  19. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    Obi-Wan in the cantina figuring out that Anakin is still alive is a great moment.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm about 2/3 done - good stuff so far. It's interesting the similarities and differences here compared to the ongoing Vader comic which covers the same time period. I feel like there is more Anakin here in Dark Lord still present than there is in the comics, at least in terms of the way he talks and acts. I guess it makes sense though that he wouldn't be the Vader we see in the movies yet and is still becoming that character and becoming less like Anakin. Both canons touch on getting used to the suit and having to deal with the limitations it presents.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  21. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    I want to echo that this is also my favorite SW novel. This is actually the 4th or 5th time I've gone through it. Honestly, I could read this back to back over and over again for the rest of my life. Really solid work from an already consistently great SW writer.

There's so much painful irony in this book, for one thing. Like when the Clone officer asks what will happen to them after the war and Shryne answers, "You'll help keep the peace."

Also, the way all of the facts of what really went down got flipped in Palpatine's official story to the public. Which is a testament to his plans, thus Lucas's story crafting. Not only was it an ingenious plan, but in the aftermath it can be so perfectly flipped; to further demonize the Jedi and justify the need for a military/industrial complex.

Likewise, as part of Anakin's justification for his actions he convinced himself that Padmé and Obi-Wan and the Jedi were wrong about everything.

It's also interesting to see how Palpatine wasn't really bent on killing the remaining straggler Jedi survivors. Rather he revealed in the fact that they were hiding in fear and shame. Nice depth add, there.

I also thought it was compelling to see the surviving Jedi experiencing conflicting plans on how to continue; Starstone wanted to search for other survivors and stage a coup, while Shryne wanted to follow Yoda's advice and go into hiding.

And yes, @Jango723, every time you think this book is over, he keeps giving one more great addition.

cubman987 and Guidman like this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    One of my favorites as well.
    That whole sequence in the book is something that sparked my deep interest in seeing an Obi-Wan spinoff film. Seeing Obi-Wan in his early days after ROTS, acclimating to Tattooine and learning about the aftermath of those events from a distance seems very interesting to me.

Jango723 and Guidman like this.
  23. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    Another neat thing is that this book caps off an "unofficial" trilogy of books with no time breaks in between. Labrynth of Evil > Revenge of the Sith (novelization) > Dark Lord.

2 of the 3 are by Luceno.

Guidman likes this.
  24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Finished this last night - pretty good read.
    Agree with this 100%

If I had one complaint, it's that Vader doesn't get to finish off more of the Jedi on Kashyyk. It's my own personal thing but I always like to think of Kenobi and Yoda being the only 2 Jedi left by the time ANH rolls around, and having Vader confronting this big of a group and only having a few eliminated kind of irks me. I know the New EU plays loosely with that as well so whatever, but aside from that I think it would have been better overall if only Starstone had survived. Very minor thing here though and I still think the fight showed Vader becoming the Vader we know he turns out to be.

Otherwise, I did enjoy this a lot. It's a nice story of surviving Jedi trying to figure out their place while Vader is also trying to figure out his place and distance himself from Anakin Skywalker. I think my favorite parts is the final confrontation with Shryne and Vader. The revelations Vader makes to Shryne and the brutal beat down he takes but Shryne still goes out a Jedi - countering that Vader "officially" becomes Vader at that moment too. Very well written.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Subtext Mining and Guidman like this.
  25. Voss Fulris

Voss Fulris Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2018
    Just finished it, and I agree with this too.

If the book didn't have Vader in the title, I would have been quite happy in the earlier parts of the book. However, I found myself getting impatient early on, wondering when Vader would make an entrance. This impatience meant I found it hard to fully engage with the earlier characters such as Shryne and Starstone and I felt less connected with their fate when it mattered later on.

A few bits I particularly enjoyed:
    • Learning about the reaction to Order 66 and the details of how it played out;
    • Vader's reaction to his suit (both initially, and his acceptance later on);
    • Seeing Palpatine's manipulations though Vader's eyes.
    I had always imagined the drive to eliminate the Jedi coming from Sidious, not Vader. Seeing this agenda being so heavily pushed by Vader in this book took me a while to adjust to, but I did come around to that way of thinking eventually.

Overall I did enjoy it, although not quite as much as I was expecting. This is at least partially due to the attitude I went into it with: expecting a book about Vader. Perhaps if I went back and re-read it now, I could appreciate the earlier parts of the book more and without impatience.

Ava G., cubman987 and Guidman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.