main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta: Queen's Shadow

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone, @Guidman and I are going to run two book club threads temporarily since this book came out recently and we figured it would be a good time to read it.

We will start discussions of this book next week, so track it down if you need to. For those of you who may have already started or finished just hold off a few days before you start posting about it.

And as always:
    [​IMG]

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just got it today! I'll be reading.

Guidman and cubman987 like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not out til May 2 in the UK.

Moll likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Have it; read it; loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Dagobahsystem and Guidman like this.
  5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    just wanted to say, love the artwork on the cover! love the brush stroke type effect!

teamhansolo, Guidman and Tonyg like this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Very good prologue and tie-in. Couldn't help reading the first chapter to think how the elected official of Naboo gets the title of Queen/King. Never really dawned on me before.

Good beginnings so far though..

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I should finish A Storm of Swords audiobook today and then I'm gonna start this one! Can't wait!

Guidman and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  8. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I reserved a copy of the audiobook for this at my library but it will be a few months before it comes in, so I might not be able to get to it in time for this thread. Looking forward to it none the less.

Guidman likes this.
  9. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm reading both atm. Started TQS last night.:D So far is quite enjoyable.

10. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    I'll guess I'll start, it's been over a week since the first post. I assume it's fine.

I finished this one pretty quickly but after a 48(?) hour audiobook, an 8.5 hr audiobook is very, very short. I've been trying to type up some of my thoughts, but have not had time or forgot. Also I've been digesting some my thoughts on Queen's Shadow. I'll need to relisten again sometime.

Warning: I plan to include Legends comparisons, I can't help myself.

Anyway, I've been waiting for this book for a loooong time. I've put on my wish lists in the Literature Forum at least twice from what I recall. I even preordered it, something I don't do very often. That and I had enough Audible credits. I'd even forgotten that it came out this month so one can imagine my surprise when I opened my email on that Tuesday a few weeks saying my preorder of Queen's Shadow was available. :eek:

Overall it was alright, I'm not gonna lie, it was not amazing though perhaps I'll feel differently after a second listen. Also my expectations for QS were incredibly high. I'd recommend it to any Padmé, PT, or SW fan.

I'm not the biggest TCW fan but Catherine Taber narrating the audiobook was perfect choice. :)

I'm glad it took place between TPM and AOTC, even before the Disney purchase that era wasn't explored very well. We didn't even know much about Padmé's early days in the Senate. I enjoyed seeing her struggle, the media, Nute Gunrays trials brought up, etc.

YAY! We got more of the Naberries. That made me so incredibly happy. I've always loved Padmé's family and those deleted scenes. I loved how they were out in the garden. It was just so ordinary, nice, and natural.

It was nice learning more about the handmaidens and what they did after Padmé's time as Queen ended. I'm not sure how much we knew about them. I only knew about from Wookieepedia articles and such. They even finally confirmed they all used codenames. Makes sense Padmé also adopted a regal name.

I wish we had gotten more of Tonra, but oh well. Though I'm glad to know Richard Armitage's character has a name, I like the actor. I don't think he had a name in Legends.

I also found Sabe's talk with Tonra about her feelings towards Padmé very interesting, for lack of a better word. I had never really thought about that ship outside an occasional rare pairing I might see on ff.net, but it does make sense. Sabe and Padme knew each how long, spent countless hours, and know very intimate things about one another. I don't know if I'd say I ship it, but I do understand it and could see it. Though as Sabe said Padmé is busy with Naboo. She was married to her work and democracy until Anakin came into the picture.

Loved Palpatine and his shenanigans. I also enjoyed seeing Padmé semi going against Palpatine. I had also never thought about beings in the Senate mistrusting her because of him, the vote of no confidence, Valorum, but that makes sense.

The part where Bail caught Padmé and the handmaidens LOL! And Padmé got to visit Alderaan. Also I liked them pointing out the similarities in their worlds.

Padmé's twin comment LOL and so sad since she did not get to raise them. It was also incredibly sad when Sabe went through her paperwork in the Epilogue. All those things that would have helped and could have prevented some of the issues like reinstating the Chancellor's term limits. Though I'm glad Bail contacted her though about what, that I'm curious to see. Perhaps we'll get a sequel? I remember in Legends it was vaguely mentioned that Sabe went on serve the Organas in the Imperial era. So if that does I'll bet she'll figure out Leia's parentage.

There were a few things I did not like. One, how they changed the how long the monarchy's term length. They are now 2 years instead of 4. I can't see how one would even get much done in 2 years, 4 in they get reelected. Also it messes up the timeline and my headcanon severely. I suppose I'll get used to it. Also is the monarchy just made up of Queen's? That's what I seem to gather. In Legends, Naboo had Kings as well, Padmé had followed two Kings. I also don't like how they cut Sola's husband, Darred from canon. Yes, we hardly knew anything about him, but still. Grrrrrrr.

My other complaint is that again, it's short. The audiobook was only 8 hours which was very short compared to the first 3 A Song of Ice and Fire series. Though in a way that's actually a compliment. I hope we get a sequel, another book leading up AOTC and perhaps one that takes place after AOTC though I suppose there is the comic series going on but I'm waiting for the paperback.

Anyway thank you for releasing this Lucasfilm and thank you to the author E.K. Johnston.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Guidman likes this.
  11. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I’m about a third of the way thru but I’m liking it so far. All political but learning some interesting things. Certainly about the Naboo culture. There’s also been some nice character surprise cameos (although they shouldn’t have really come as any surprise). There’s a few times where keeping track of each handmaiden is alittle confusing. Especially when Padme gets her Senate ones.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    sounds interesting. Are there Gungans in it?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Guidman likes this.
  13. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't believe they appear but they are mentioned.

I remember it's mentioned how Gungans now get to vote in the Naboo elections.

I thought it was mentioned how Padmé is planning to bring Jar Jar aboard her Senate staff but I could be wrong about that.

Guidman likes this.
  14. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    What do you guys think about the transition from Queen Amidala to Senator Padme? The book treats Amidala and Padme as basically two separate entities.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  15. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I finished the book over the weekend. Will certainly go into details later but it was just ok for me. It ties into TCW nicely but that's about it. I wouldn't say this is a must read for most people.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  16. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Why do we get it so late in the UK? :_| I don’t get it!!

Those that have read it though, is it worth the investment? :) - oops, it I read just above my post ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Guidman likes this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hope to read it soon.

Your post reminded me of a song called
    "Signed, Sealed, Delivered." :)
    [​IMG]

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So I had some stuff come up and never got around to starting this until yesterday :p Just from the first couple of chapters with Padme and her handmaidens I know I'm going to like this.

Moll and Guidman like this.
  19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Can I join the club? I just picked up the book on my lunch break :D

cubman987 , Moll and Guidman like this.
  20. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Everybody's welcome around these parts ;) [:D]

I just ordered the book, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow!! :D

@cubman987, when is this moving onto the next book? I am almost finished with another book, so light not be able to start this one right away! Just want to make sure I have enough time! :)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I just started it myself so we will leave this open for a little while longer anyways. I haven't had a chance to chat with @Guidman about what we are doing next and I'm going on vacation in 2 days so I'd say you have some time.

Guidman and Moll like this.
  22. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Fantastic, thanks Cubby! Enjoy your vacation! :)

Guidman likes this.
  23. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah, you're all good. At least in my terms, this thread will be open for awhile to post thoughts as you read.

Moll likes this.
  24. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    Awesome, thanks for keeping this thread open, I just got my audiobook reservation.

I'm about halfway through and I love this book! It's great seeing into the deep bonds between Padmé and her handmaidens, and with Cordé and Dormé in her senator years. As well as how rough Padmé had it in the beginning of her senatorial career. What a cast of characters! We've got Mina Bonteri, Clovis, Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Captain Panaka's wife, and course plenty of Palpatine. And who would've expected a romance novel moment?! [face_blush]

I think what I love the most so far is how this book addresses the issue of Padmé attempting to free Shmi Skywalker! And thus vindicating those who have extrapolated all of the various factors involved in such an endeavor and why it would most likely be a fruitless one - we were right! Pat on the back for everyone ;)

It also confirmed two hypotheses of mine own which I had posted in this forum before. The flat voice thing the Queen and her decoys use is to prevent would-be trouble makers from recognizing them by voice. And how Padmé used a covert signal to communicate her choice when she said to Sabé "We are brave, your highness" in TPM. I love how that comes back around in this book.

As far as the transition from Queen to Senator, it's been riveting for me. And yes, they're two different entities, that's part of the wild experience of it all :p But yet there's still Padmé at the heart of it all, though she rarely gets to be just Padmé. It's been interesting going on this journey with her & her friends & family as she learns to ropes of the Coruscant scene and being a senator in this mad, mad galaxy.

Anyways, yes, there's a lot of skimmable stuff in there (especially in the beginning), but the overall story is quite enjoyable so far. I'm One of the better new books over these last few years.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Guidman likes this.
  25. Subtext Mining

Apr 27, 2016
    Alright, I finished the book and I am really amazed with this one. As someone who loves the PT era, I've always been intrigued by the interval between TPM and AotC and this book really satisfies. And as a huge Padmé fan I have always wanted to see a good book centered on her but was starting to lose hope after all the false starts.

The tone here is perfect, I think, for a Padmé novel. It's centered on thoughts & feelings, rather than action. The rich tapestry of personal relationships and emotional bonds with this incredible cast of characters was a wonder to see.
    I think the short part with Depa Billaba fighting off the pirates in her starfighter was basically the only action scene. And it's always a pleasure when Master Billaba is involved in a story. I love when it describes how it seems she looks through you (in comparison and contrast to Master Qui-Gon). And then the part when she explains to Padmé how she is the still the same person she was during the crisis on Naboo. Bellissimo!

What I love so much about how Lucas set up Padmé and Anakin as characters are the subtle parallels between their lives. As the title and cover art eludes to, there are many levels, masks and sides to Padmé. For example, one thing that occurred to me when reading this book is when it mentions how as the Queen, Padmé went around the senate to take matters into her own hands to protect her people and accomplish what she had to. Much like Anakin with the Jedi.
    As is wonderfully captured in this book, like Anakin, she is also never afraid to buck the system in order to do what she feels is right. Or at least try.
    And like I said before about Padmé transitioning from a Queen to a Senator and rarely getting a chance to be just Padmé - it's no wonder those two were drawn to each other. One of the many great things I enjoy about this book is how much you can feel Anakin breathing in-between it all, as it illustrates the life & times of our young protagonist.

What I said before about skimmable parts... that's just early on, the whole second half of the book had me captivated by every word. It all starts connecting and you don't want to miss a thing.

Anyways, I think Johnston grasps well the important aspects of the GFFA and of Padmé herself. Bravo!

Don't let the cliché title fool you, this is quite a unique and enjoyable SW book. A must read for PT era fans.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Triad Moons and Tonyg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.