main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta - Shadows of the Empire

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Guidman , Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Finished up the book last weekend. Glad to read it again. I think Perry did a good job with it. My favorite pieces are probably the stuff with the Bothans towards the middle of it. Ties in nicely to ROTJ. The brief chapter with Vader, Luke and Leia all being in-tune with each other on Coruscant is probably the best of the book. While Dash is pretty much a stand-in for Han, they tried to make him sympathetic with his "screw-up" during the freighter mission. Also enjoyed Lando alot in the book. Certainly comes across that he's on the side of the Rebels now.

Not sure if I entirely liked the whole Emperor plan of letting the Death Star plans fall into the hands of the Rebels but I guess luring them into a trap is a sound move. Just wish the Rebels would have come across the plans naturally.

My questions towards everyone is how did this work as a bridge between ESB and ROTJ? Functions in a similar vain as Rogue One as it takes us up to pretty much the start of ROTJ.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  2. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The book works as connection between Ep.5 and 6. What I'd like to see more as I said is the "mind connection" between Vader and Luke that was initially included in ROTJ (there is such deleted scene) and also more of the internal struggle of both characters. The decicion of Luke to save is father is not sudden or spontaneous. My point is that although he finally decided that on Endor, he thought about who his father really is long before that and he thought about this a lot. That explanation that he gives to Vader himself (I know that there is good in you ) came after long reflexions and the book is the atural place to reveal them. Same with Vader, actually and in a way, same with Leia regarding her feelings to Luke.

What I really wonder if why they didn't include some vague thoughts of Anakin's wife in later editions as they did with the novelization of ROTJ. it would work better for the continuity.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Guidman likes this.
  4. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    the discussion on this book is yet to come . I think we are moving too fast with the books and few people can really participate in the discussions but .. you are the mods ;)

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  5. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Something interesting that the book established is also the android and her loyalty to Xizor. I would say that she looks like more like the clones in Ep.2 than like C3P0 and I don't have in mind the look but her "judgement" what should be done and what shouldn't.

Guidman likes this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The book called her a human replica droid so she would look exactly like a human. Cool character though and some badass moments with her. Especially since she just uses her hands for any fight. I think Guri is in the other Shadows comics that take place after the book.

7. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I had forgotten about Guri. I hadn't seen Bladerunner yet back when I first read this book, so now I kept picturing Rachael.

Decent action-packed comic book-like book for what it is, but to echo Tony, it lacks some depth that the older me craves. But, what can ya do? :p

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Tonyg and Guidman like this.
  8. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    By the way, I audiobooked it this time through and couldn't help but laugh every time the reader said "Corus-kant" and "Bee-spin".

Ahh... you know you're a Star Wars nerd when...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Guidman and Tonyg like this.
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I never shared my thoughts on this....it was fun to read again. It feels very 90's but serves as a nice connecting story to TESB and ROTJ. Only thing I didn't care for, and I don't think I cared for it when I read this back in the day, is the Xizor - Leia stuff. The idea that Xizor can do what he wishes with any woman he wishes is a little much for Star Wars, though again, this type of thing feels very like the type of story that would be told when it was written. Otherwise I think Perry does a pretty solid job writing the characters and telling a fun story. In particular I like the power plays between Vader and Xizor and Palpatine basically watching it all and enjoying himself.

whostheBossk and Tonyg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.