main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta: Thrawn: Treason

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Guidman , Aug 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    And we're back to your regular scheduled programming. I apologize for the delay in getting up a new book club. Bet we're back and with a fan favorite character this time.
    [​IMG]

We're reading the third book in the new Thrawn trilogy, Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn.

Let aim to start discussing towards the end of next week, so if you're currently reading it or are able to pick up a copy in that time, go ahead.

As always, remember that we're all Star Wars fans so be kind to each other.
    [​IMG]

2. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm about halfway thru the book and am really liking it so far. I thought the first Thrawn was good (liked the interactions between Eli Vanto and Thrawn). Alliances was a let down for me. Too much time jumping. Went into this one not knowing much at all about the plot.

Very happy when Krennic shows up briefly at the beginning, plus Ronan basically being his surrogate. Enjoying how it ties into Rebels as well.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    really liking the artwork again!

Guidman likes this.
  4. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I'd say one of the best interactions during the first few chapters is the hologram conversation between Krennic and Savit. The arrogance dripping from Krennic is great.

5. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    There's one thing thing in the new Thrawn novels that at times is cool and at times is not. I like the detective aspect of him but the fact that he's literally always 182 miles ahead of everyone else is alittle too much at times. I get it, he's good a deducing things but c'mon would it really be bad to show him not be entirely right about everything (in this novel every single thing pans out for him).

For all of the times he's outsmarted everyone else and always knew what was going to happen, interesting that he was ultimately beat (at least in the new canon) by a teenage kid and space whales.

6. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    This book probably has some of the most technical space battles. Zahn really gets in the weeds during some of them.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm exactly halfway thru. So far I'm intrigued at where this will go with the whole Grysk thing. I'm sure there will be more to come, but one thing I was surprised by was the singular plotline this one has-for at least the first half of the book we've stayed with the same characters the whole time-definitely no jumping around, like Alliances! I also agree, @Guidman, that these battle sequences and strategizing scenes really get involved and technical!

Though I agree that his flawless strategic ability gets a little unrealistic at times, I think the fact that Ezra was able to catch him off guard and defeat him (although I don't recall seeing him die-just pulled into hyperspace) is all the more effective! Thrawn can have the most strategic mind in the galaxy, but in the end he's no match for the power of the Force when used against him.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Guidman likes this.
  8. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I totally forgot this thing is still open. I do like this one more than Alliances solely for the fact that it’s a linear story. There was a string books where they kept jumping around timepoints (Phasma, Alliances, Last Shot).

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This book was much better than its predecessor as it really showed that Thrawn’s loyalty still lied with the Chiss

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I overall like how Jocasta is portrayed in the Disney EU. She’s brave and bold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.