main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C'mon, Let's Keep a Little Optimism Here - The Gusher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Great interview with Terrio. Must read and I agree with much of what he says and had come to similar conclusions even during the leaks phase of all this.

2 key snippets below but there’s plenty more at the link.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ord-straight-perceived-last-jedi-jabs-1265168

“Those people who see it as a meta-argument between J.J. and Rian are missing the point, I think. At the end of The Last Jedi, Luke has changed,” Terrio tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I think it would be a bad misreading to think that that was somehow me and J.J. having an argument with Rian. It was more like we were in dialogue with Rian by using what Luke did at the beginning of The Last Jedi to now say that history will not repeat itself and all these characters have grown.”

Rey Palpatine. What were the ins and outs of that significant choice?

We also thought that Rey’s arc cannot be finished after Episode VIII. You can leave Episode VIII and say, “Well, now, Rey is content. She’s discovered her parents aren’t Skywalkers, or whatever, and that’s fine.” But so much of her personal story was about where she came from, what kept her on Jakku all those years and the trauma that shaped her. We see quite strongly in Episode VII that something mysterious and troubling happened to her. Although she did get some answers in Episode VIII, we didn’t feel that that story was over. We felt that there were still more questions in Rey’s head about where she came from and where she was going. So, that was the other big idea that we had to address in this film. Rian’s answer to, “What’s the worst news that Rey could receive?” was that she comes from junk traders, and that’s true. She does come from junk traders; we didn’t contradict that. But when J.J. and I spoke, he said, “Well, what’s an even worse answer or elaboration of that news?” And we thought the worst answer was that she descended from the family who are the enemies of her new family, her adoptive family. Leia is a mother figure to Rey in a way that no one has ever been since she lost her real mother (Jodie Comer). So, the idea was that Rey, who’s had inclinations towards the Dark Side, would learn in the course of this movie that Leia is training the descendant of her greatest enemy and that she has the Force strength of Leia’s greatest enemy. Discovering that you actually descended from your adoptive family’s greatest enemy, the same enemy who corrupted Anakin Skywalker and is responsible for the destruction of the Skywalker family in the first place, felt most devastating to us. Based on that, we were very moved by the idea that Leia would have known that from the very beginning, but since she still saw such hope, heart and spirit in Rey, she decided that she was going to take a chance on putting all the hope of the galaxy into the hands of a descendent of her greatest enemy. As Luke says, some things are stronger than blood. That felt like a really strong story point to us.

Therefore, at the end of the movie, when Rey declares herself a Skywalker, that felt like the end of that conversation, which is to say that you get to choose your family, and really, you get to choose your ancestry. Rey rejects the blood ancestry that she has inherited, and instead, she chooses the ancestry of the Jedi. When all the Jedi come to Rey at the end, one of the Jedi lightly says, “We are your ancestors now,” in the background, and I think that’s true. She chooses the spiritual ancestry of the Jedi instead of the blood ancestry of Palpatine.

Many fans, including myself, appreciated how The Last Jedidemocratized the Force. While I understand the choice to connect Rey to a notable bloodline, does your film still recognize the existence of the galaxy’s broom boys and girls (i.e., Force users without famous ancestry)?

Of course. Hopefully, the film also suggests that Finn is discovering that he is a Force user and is Force strong. Finn feels the death of Rey, and in a crucial moment during the battle, Finn senses the command ship where the navigation signal was coming from. So, we wanted to begin to plant the idea that Finn is Force strong and that there are other people in the galaxy who are Force strong. Yes, of course, the galaxy is full of Force users, and you don’t have to be a Skywalker or a Palpatine in order to be strong with the Force. But Luke does say very explicitly in Return of the Jedi, “The Force is strong in my family,” and we know that there is an inherited element to Force power. So, considering that this was a story of the Palpatines and Skywalkers, at least these nine movies, we decided to focus on the family part. Rey descending from a Palpatine doesn’t negate the idea that kids with brooms, Finn and any other number of people in the galaxy can be strong with the Force. It just so happens that this young girl that we found in Episode VII — which really has the structure of a fairytale — is royalty of the Dark Side. What we discover in this movie, and hopefully in retrospect, is that she’s essentially a princess who’s being raised as an orphan. The idea that this royalty of the Dark Side would be found as a scavenger in the middle of nowhere, literally living off the ruins of the old war that was created by her ancestors, felt really strong to us. We couldn’t agree more with the debate about the democratization of the Force, but for purposes of this story, we thought that it was a more interesting and mythic answer if it turned out that Rey descended from one of the families that has been at the center of this whole saga the entire time. In the end, the film asserts that there are things stronger than blood because she chooses a different family for herself.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  2. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    Hmm, I don't remember this line exactly. I wonder if it was changed in editing or removed.

rocknroll41 and Ben-Solo like this.
  3. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I think this excerpt from Abrams and Terrio explains a lot. It’s these types of insight that give us a in depth look at why they chose (Palpatine) and then why it was important for her to symbolize a “Skywalker” Leia, Han and Luke took a chance on Rey, Rey took a chance on Ben and it all seemed to work out for Rey by the end of the film. Family is not defined by blood, but by your actions and those you care for and surround yourself with.

4. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I just love Leia. I really feel they did well by her in this movie, despite having such limited footage to use. A lot of it has to take place between the lines because of the limited footage and we have to imagine a lot of Leia/Rey interaction between TLJ and TROS, but it's there.

Ricardo Funes, KyleKartan and Raquel like this.
  5. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Agreed. I've read that some didnt like it at all and that they should recast her. Imagine the OUTCRY if they had done that! They made the best choice they could and the second time around it felt more natural for me too.

Iam so glad that the ST is over. The last two years were a chore for me as positive thinking fan who likes to enjoy his hobby and likes to take the best out of it. The fanbase really challenged my fandom to some degree. Let this movie hit the billion dollar mark, release it on BD for us to enjoy anytime we want and then take a break. I really hope by 2022 the fanbase has relaxed at least a bit and took a deep breath from all the drama of the past years. In the meantime I'll enjoy the Disney+ stuff, comic, novels and so on!

Guess I'll hit the theater early next year for my third run.

6. NoSuchThingAsLuck

NoSuchThingAsLuck Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
  7. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Show Off :p

8. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Okay, I'm really freakin' warming on Terrio after being so wary of that guy in genre stuff after BvS. Yeah, it's not all he's done, but I was worried.

He really gets it, though. Love that interview.

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    You should read all his interviews then because he seems to really not know what he's talking about.

First he claimed that Leia has never been on Tatooine. Keep in mind that ROTJ is his favorite SW film or it was when he was a kid anyway and he talked about how many times he would rewatch it.

Then he's responsible for throwing Carrie Fisher under the bus by blaming her for Rose's limited screentime. He also blamed ILM but he got flack from them, probably because they're alive enough to defend themselves unlike poor Carrie, so he retracted his statement blaming them and pretty much went back to blaming Carrie. Classy move.

He also claimed that Rey never died in the film at the end, even though everything in the film points to the opposite. Also that John Williams was responsible for the final track being called "A New Home" and that wasn't his intention for Rey's ending.

He also made a weird statement about how Ben can find redemption now, even though Ben is dead, so he just comes across as particularly tone-deaf.

Back to something positive...I can't wait for new merchandise to be sold featuring the lightsabers of Leia, Dark Rey, and Rey's new golden one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  10. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Sigh...

That post does not belong in THIS thread. I saw those complaints elsewhere and that is where they belong. Most of those are clear signs that you just do not want to believe Chris Terrio in anything. You are trying to pick apart anything he says and interpret it in a negative way.

There is nothing in the film to say Rey is going to stay on Tatooine or live in the Lars homestead. She looks around and leaves! The last shoot is her walking away in the sunset.

I have posted in the Leia thread more than anywhere else for months. Before anyone on the film said so - I pointed out that they may have discovered some footage did not work. They were given the impossible task of repurposing footage that was never intended for use in this movie at all. That any of it works is a miracle.

Clearly he meant Leia was never at Luke’s childhood Home before. Not the whole planet. That is just nitpicking for the sake of it.

I had no intention of arguing anything but you come into a thread that is specifically labeled positive and I am not going to let it slide.

11. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    I’ll take a stab

1) I get the impression that that level of force healing ability is unique to dyads in the force (“a dyad... a power like life itself” -Palpatine watching his hand heal and regrow). We know baby yoda does some force healing but it seems that, based on the content of the prequels, this ability is much more limited in the average force user than what we see from Rey and Kylo

2) I’m not sure I fully understand the force ghost retcon question, but I wonder if Qui-gon and Yoda paved the way for others to come back from the void without training during life. Anakin certainly never underwent any force ghost training and he comes back almost immediately

3) There seems to be a “life is for the living” rule among force ghosts (“but this is your fight”). They advise but do not directly meddle in the conflict

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I mean I don't think the film could be any clearer about these points, even with Terrio and Abrams additional commentary. The folks who are so upset about orphaned Rey rejecting her evil inheritance in favor of her adoptive family, and ultimately taking their name, need to look in the mirror and come to terms because their privilege is showing.

13. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I am sure Leia's spirit guided Ben's spirit to the Force, given how she only vanishes at the exact same time Ben is gone.

PS: Today I am going to watch it for the last time. I am a little sad given we don't know when we will have the privilege of seeing Star Wars on the big screen again. I will miss it a lot, and I hope to get news about new film projects on January.

14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's my interpretation as well. Leia's last act was a force projection of Han to Ben to turn him back to the light.

15. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The dude literally just said that they used Rose to anchor those scenes with Leia, but unfortunately there were difficulties in making the technology believable. He wasn't blaming a dead person for not giving them the performance they needed.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s been a couple of weeks since I saw it now. I have a question about Ochi. Is he actually working for Palpatine and the Sith cultists? Or is he just working for himself and has something against Jedi? I can't remember if the film ever explained it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the hex symbol is supposed to be the hint that he's a devotee rather than a mercenary.

Ricardo Funes and Krueger like this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So he's basically one of the cultists?

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The VD lists his "Affiliation" as the Acolytes of Beyond - he's one of the non-Force Sensitive devotees of the Emperor, from the Imperial era. His boss was probably Yupe Tashu from Aftermath - since Yupe's the most notable Acolyte we see.

20. RedeemBenSolo

RedeemBenSolo Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2019
    I am seeing TROS two more times I am so happy that there is a thread like this.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    One of the good things I’m seeing is some formally unhappy ST viewers enjoying this enough to come around on the ST and also some unhappy folks just moving on entirely and over to Mando. Hopefully this continues over time so that the next generations who discover this on Disney + long term and my kids at celebrations who all enjoy Rey & Ben’s tale can just be more among other people excited to celebrate the sequels at meetups and celebrations. It’s good to be past the phase of determining what this is or might be and over to enjoying what it ended up being (or not for those who don’t).

22. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    I will be seeing it for the 5th time today or tomorrow.

One of the favorite ideas of this film is that Luke, Leia and with help from Ben -turned Palpatine’s Granddaughter into not only a Jedi but a SKYWALKER!!! That is the real victory.

It also mirrors Han’s backstory too. Solo was not his birth name. We have no idea what it even was. The same people who have issues with a chosen name being a real identity probably did not like that either. I remember complaints when that first leaked too. Like it was phony or illegitimate. There are so many actors and musicians who are only known by their stage names. That is who they see themselves as and so does the world. Same for children who are adopted. Even women who choose to take their husband’s last name. That is a statement of who they want to be known as. Same for those who choice to keep their birth name too.

Star Wars has always been build on mysteries. There are things in all the movies that are never explained. Fans can find their own interpretations. That is part of the fun. But if you are deliberately looking for the most negative possible interpretation ... that says more about you than the filmmakers.

What is on screen is what matters. I never had much internet in the books and comics. Those who do that is fine.

Much has been made that Luke did not inspire people after his sacrifice -why assume that??!!

That is a good reason this movie is only a year later. I do not know what happens in the books. But I doubt there was a major battle after Crait. Exegol was the next big battle. Luke did inspire to help the next big fight! They are waiting for a specific event to help. That makes sense. They would not just randomly attack the First Order. They need a specific event to rally too. Also how does the Resistance learn of the location of Exegol? A Message from Luke Skywalker! Yes it’s Rey in his X Wing. But word of that could be seen that Luke is still involved. Which is true! The average citizen may not have any idea that Luke is Force Ghost who gave his X Wing to Rey. But neither that he Force projected to Crait. But they know he is somehow involved after vanishing for years. It adds to his Legend.

I would have been ok with shorter than a year. Palpatine’s sudden announcement of being alive seems to be a reaction to Luke’s reappearance too.

The mystery of Palpatine’s resurrection is a HUGE bonus! Not a weakness of movie. It allows us to draw conclusions from his comments from the Prequels. Plus the suggestion that he is all the Sith implies not a true resurrection. But more a zombie like abomination until the finale.

Enjoy the movie. No harm in people asking why we do. But we are under no obligation to explain why we like or love this movie.

23. RedeemBenSolo

RedeemBenSolo Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2019
    I have seen it 3 times thus far, and so excited to see it two more times. I've already pre ordered the steelbook.

24. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Why are people (haters) posting negativity in this thread? :mad:

If we so much as show up in the haters thread, we get ridiculed and vilified for having an opinion.

Some of us LOVE this movie you know.

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I didn’t realize how many things the Resistance briefing scene actually lays out. I’d missed some aspects my first couple watches.

It does all of the following:

1) Explain Exogul’s strange properties and how they mess with navigation systems and take offs for large ships.

2) Explain the tower setup and why they want to take it out and also why they wish to launch the ground assault.

3) Establish Finn as second in command and explaining his own plans for the ground assault.

4) Establish that Lando on the Falcon will be heading out to a specific location of the galaxy to send out a signal to rally help. Poe explains why he has optimism it will work in the post-Sith empire announcement state. This aspect I’d missed on my first 2 watches. I didn’t realize that they had setup in the film that everyone knew Lando was going to send out this rally signal to allies. I thought it was just something he did on his own but it’s in the briefing as part of the actual mission. So, all of those comparisons to End Game deus ex machina are weak because they literally explain in the briefing scene that Lando’s mission on the Falcon is to bring reinforcements back.

5) The Holdo maneuver is referenced as something others wish to try but it’s reminded how hard it is to pull off. This and the light speed skipping scene near the start that show the unique properties or hyperspace help highlight how everything came together in a rare way for the Holdo maneuver. It’s a minor retcon but one I happen to like.

6) Shows Poe giving the kind of specifics and motivational speech he wishes Holdo had given and where he’s finding his own voice as a leader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.