main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C'mon, Let's Keep a Little Optimism Here - The Gusher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Ah, true.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And Ren probably knows either from his stormtroopers questioning Plutt, or from his own absorption of Rey's repressed memories.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    To me, based on how Rey’s force back and other visions had been shown before for her, Kylo Ren likely just saw glimpses of things and felt he had it all figured out but he did not. Just as she didn’t fully understand that just because she saw Snoke dead and him working with her briefly... it wasn’t the whole truth of all there was to that either.

4. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    I somehow didn’t notice it my first two watches, but I love how Rey heals Kylo’s face scar when she heals his chest wound

5. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’m glad that they took the responsibility of the OT characters having serious dramatic conflicts that challenged us as viewers and lead to emotional discussions and debates rather than doing what they did with Lando for everyone and just delivering pure fan service exclusively for each of them.

6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You know, I always felt that Kylo was lying about her parents in VIII, to play on her insecurities. Like how WOULD he know something like that? Hopefully we get a convincing explanation in the TROS novelization.

I guess that's my biggest unanswered question in this film. What did Kylo really know about Rey's parents before Sidious tells him the truth, and where did he get his false ideas?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Well, he does say, “I saw something, too. I know who your parents are.”

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I second this a million times over. As much as I wanted "Superman" Luke in many ways, I like Johnson's take in keeping everything more grounded in that you are looking into the lives of "people" (and aliens and droids) in another galaxy; albeit a fictitious one. And those lives may include challenges and changes in mindsets based on their life experiences.

I would rather see this than a repetitive storyline of someone always 'saving the day' - however I still want a series with heaps of Jedi and Sith and full-on Force Powers on display.

Because I agree, as great as it was to see Lando, it was pure fan service with no real change in character or character traits and I dare say that over the course of a trilogy, that would wear thin on me.

I praise the ST directors for this.

9. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    So then her memory was that her parents were drunks who sold her?

10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I guess she did not fully understand (as a child) what was hapenning. All she knew is that bad people were after her and her parents, and that her parents told her that in order to keep her safe she would be left with Unkar Plutt, which of course for a small child is very hard to understand.

As an adult, piecing together what she remembered with the new information presented by Kylo (Ochi was sent to kill or get her, her parents did not say where she was so they were killed, and her uncle was Palpatine), was enough to form a clear understanding of what really happened.

PS: found a chance to get yet another viewing today. I fell like I can watch this film every single day and never get bored. Funny that I always get a little extra detail. Today I noticed how the Resistance knew how the weather was like in Exegol from the memory of D-O. Yesterday I noticed how Poe and Finn discovered that Palpatine was trying to find Rey since she was a child in Jakku, also by the memory of D-O, as the droid worked for Ochi.

11. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    So yeah I guess he saw her memories and embellished on them to make her feel bad about herself.

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Finally got my second viewing! I still love the film, although I was in a sort of inquiring/questioning phase that possibly hampered my enjoyment a bit; the same thing happened with my second viewing of TLJ, so I'm not worried. Speaking of which, I rewatched TLJ and remembered the brief use of Palpatine's theme in Snoke's throne room. [face_idea]

TROS was easier to follow this time, though there are still some little things I missed. It's actually a little Kasdan-esque. I did notice Chewie telling Poe that the Falcon's landing gear is broken, so that explains the rough landing on Kef Bir. I also had a good laugh at D-O's statement when Rey fixes his wheel: "Squeak eliminated." Rey's kindness came up earlier in the thread, and another example of it is her reassurance to D-O at his skittishness.
    I really like the reveal and his appearance at the beginning. It helps set the stage, especially with his first line, which is also the very first of the film: "At last..." Another line of his I wanted to note this time was in the climactic sequence: "Let your death be the final word in the story of rebellion." I like the metaphor itself, and the reflection of Palpatine's ruling days. I caught some cool edits near that section, too, in Rey's flight to Exegol and in her arrival there juxtaposed with the Resistance leaving Ajan Kloss.

There's an interesting thread about finishing what someone else started, mostly noted about Kylo/Ben, but in the film it's more clearly in relation to Rey. She tells Leia she can finish what Luke started in finding Exegol, and Luke himself later tells her that Leia intended someone else to take up her saber. It adds to Rey taking on the Skywalker name at the end, since she was already taking on the mantle.
    In a way, that's like the map to Luke in TFA -- a piece that had to be put in place to see the full picture.

13. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    When do you think the Bluray will be released? I really want to watch it anytime I want.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    April, like all the others.

15. qui-gon-chan

qui-gon-chan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2018
    It was good to see 3PO back in action.
    'Under no circumstances...' :p

16. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    He barely finishes to say that "under no circumstances" and we cut to he having his memory restored.

JJ really gets Star Wars humour.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    qui-gon-chan likes this.
  17. RedeemBenSolo

RedeemBenSolo Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2019
    I preordered the Target exclusive Steelbook and oh boy, its gorgeous

18. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    He didn’t at all, according to Rian Johnson. He literally went off of what he read and told the truth. He specified that in his commentary.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Cave of Erised likes this.
  19. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah we already established that he went off what he read, but he went on to say, IIRC, "You don't have a part in this story." and "You're nothing." Rian also is smart enough to know what to say in order to cause controversy and debate. The films, even TLJ, strongly implied that Rey was indeed somebody. The fanbase feeds off these mixed signals.

20. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    In other words: Maclunkey!

21. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    Finally got a 2nd viewing in last night at the the new theater that opened up in my city. Huge screen, amazing sound and really comfortable leather reclining chairs. After my 2nd viewing, I just love this movie so much.

22. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Characters can evolve and go through trials and tribulations whilst still remaining in character and whilst still making decisions that evolve and progress out of character beats that came before. this was not the case for Luke Skywalker. Its not subvert or dont touch. Disney just made it that black and white. they did nothing with Lando. Lando can still be Lando and have a real role within the story. But they didnt go for that.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Please take any and all complaints to the Haters thread. This thread is for pure gushing. Thank you.

24. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I had another chance to see TROS and loved it again the second time. It was just as fun but also helped solidify some questions I had about the plot, since it does move rather fast. Although I also noticed more scenes where it slows down (in a good way) than I remembered after one viewing.

25. Captain_Vyse

Captain_Vyse Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Wife and I are finally over (mostly) that nasty bronchitis. Looking forward to seeing TROS again tomorrow. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.