main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Cobb Vanth (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Real cowboys are skinny, like Clint Eastwood.

Fake cowboys are fat, like John Wayne.

:cool:

Timothy Olyphant is a real cowboy.

(And that was a joke, for any John Wayne fans. Well... yeah, it was a joke.)

As for the differences with the novel, I guess it can be explained away by saying that Cobb Vanth isn't going to lie to who he perceives as a real Mandalorian. Respect. That's what the real cowboys do, the skinny ones.

Over/under for December as the pre-order date for the Cobb Vanth Hot Toy. Then again, they may announce it on Mando Monday...

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they made the right choice in making Cobb more than just the armor. it helped not make him a boba wannabe and more of his own character.

3. Rogues1138

Rogues1138 Jedi Master

Jul 15, 2013
    Finally, they used a character from the books...

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Isn’t the first time

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I liked Olyphant here, but I wanted a bit more friction between him and Mando. Also, he might be a little too well groomed for Tatooine.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    He was great. A tiny nitpick, though I understand the thinking behind the choice, was his very well-styled hair. A little more unkempt would’ve looked better, IMO. But then again, he’s got a political role to play in that town, so I get it.

7. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Ask pre AOTC Anakin how he feels about Tuskins. Ask him again post AOTC. It’s been five years, things get rough in the desert. It sounded like his people had problems with them and he sided with his people.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There was actually a bit in the TPM novel where Anakin helps out a wounded Tusken Raider and is very sympathetic toward him. Had they not been the ones to abduct his mother he probably would have continued viewing them in a more or less positive light.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean Anakin in his later years has anger issues, so he could probaly if attacked by Tuskens kill them and claim self defence.

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    It's also relevant that the Sand People are more than one tribe.
    Maybe he has good relations with a group of Tuskens living a ways away from town, but considers the ones raiding his people fanatics, unreasonable and basically monsters.
    We really don't know exactly what the raids looked like, but given the way some of them treated Shmi its easy to imagine they can be quite ugly.

11. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Which fits in really well with the Western-style themes where embellishments may be necessary in forging a reputation as a tough guy enforcer - in a lawless, outer part of the galaxy. Because if the truth were told and it was just a case of sheer luck, maybe Vanth wouldn't have been taken seriously as a self-appointed lawman. You need a story to go with the reputation.

Besides, its also another case of these events being viewed from A Certain Point Of View - again, fitting this idea of the Wild West having been told from many points of view; and whilst the general story remains consistent, the small particulars may vary.

12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Outside of Kuiil, Cobb Vanth has become my favorite side character. Such a likable character and I hope he returns later.

Jaxxon- and StartCenterEnd like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So long as the original author doesn’t mind I don’t mind either. Chuck seemed thrilled to even have his original character in any show let alone live action.

Plus you can easily say Vanth was lying

Shadao and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    I liked the way the character wore the armor. We can plainly see how this one is not made for him. There is a cosplay side ... No confusion possible between him and Boba Fett. What is appreciable

Jaxxon-, Shadao, jakobitis89 and 5 others like this.
  15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I loved the angle of Cobb Vanth acquiring Boba Fett's armor, and pretending to be a Mandalorian, but not pretending to be Boba Fett, per se. Timothy Olyplant is such an incredible actor, and he really nailed the role. Added a level of nuance to Vanth when he knew he was screwed when he came across a real Mandalorian, in that you could almost see the wheels turning in his head on how does he get out of this.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I really liked this episode, but wasn’t as impressed with Olyphant as many were. Seemed a tad one note in the acting department. Good, but not great. But it’s a nitpick. The use of the Vanth character here was seriously well done.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think the moment or moments Cobb Vanth won viewers over was subconsciously when he rode up in his podracer engine speeder. It was subtle while he would speed up and edge passed Mando, and Mando would vrooom forward. Back and forth. No words, just the two dudes looking over at each other and speeding up.

Shadao and RetropME like this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I've been thinking about this... Why does it feel strange to see a person have a decent hair cut in SW?? [face_laugh] I feel the same way for some reason. It really throws me when I see a person in this era not have a 70's/80's style haircut because that is the era the OT was made in, and this is only 5 years later.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. It’s a stylistic relic of the late 70s/ 80s, but I can’t shake it!

Also, in this case, it was also the fact that this cowboy dude lives in the middle of nowhere in a desert in a mining town, and wears a helmet a lot, and yet... perfectly-styled hair!

But overall, I understand and respect the choice. Just struck me as a little off.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Was Cobb in the first Aftermath novel? I read them when they came out and liked them but I can’t remember.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    Yes he is in the three

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He was in all three, one chapter each book.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks. Time to re-read and feel dumb about not remembering after I re-read. :p

24. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I liked the depiction and character so much that I want his action figure.

Jamie1001 likes this.
  25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    It certainly looked like one of his engines, just missing two of the vanes. Same sound effects too.