main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coffee!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Dobrolous, Jan 9, 2016.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I made some flavor infused cold brew for the first time. It was pretty amazing.

Here's what I did

1 oz fresh ground medium roast beans
    1 Tbs dark brown sugar
    1 stick of cinnamon
    The zest of 1/3rd of an orange
    15 oz filtered cold water

Sit in a French Press overnight (12 hours)
    Plunge
    Add to carafe. Dilute with 30 oz of filtered cold water

Serve over ice

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    This is the summer I found ice coffee. Oh I know it's been around forever but I never had it until this summer even though I am a big coffee drinker. Matter of fact I been living off it since it's been so hot here, the kids busier this summer with more activities and were in the midst of moving. The $1.50 ice coffee deal at DD between 2-6 pm as been a daily thing for weeks now.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Friends don't let friends drink Dunkin' coffee... (spoiler alert: it's terrible).

Their cold brew is slightly better than their iced coffee, but there are better options...

mavjade and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    True story

I was in SLC for work a few weeks back and was finished early, so the local rep was going to drop me at a coffee house. He dropped me at a Dunkin Donuts. So I walked twenty minutes in 100 degree temps lugging my suitcase to get to better coffee.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can drink Dunkin’ coffee with just milk. It’s when they start putting their crappy sweet syrups in it that it gets bad.

Not my first choice of coffee but straight up or with milk, I can do it.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, that's the thing -- DD is designed to be cream and sugar... so when you drink it black, as I do, it's pretty terrible.

McDonald's is better black. Cosi is better black (and they burn their beans all the damn time).

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Three words: Nitro Cold Brew.
    Once you go there (from a tap, but cans are okay too), all other cold brew or iced coffee pales in comparison.

And yes Dunkin' is awful. If you actually like the taste of coffee, it's undrinkable.

10. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I've actually since figured out i can get about 15oz in the cup before the part where the lid screws on. Still, they should say, 15oz thermos, not 17oz thermos...cuz those last 2 ounces will just spill out when i screw the lid on.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am trying caramel teeccino for the first time as a coffee substitute.

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Cuban coffee for me, **** puts hair on your chest and I love it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Wax them ***s!

14. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I had clung, bitterly, to my belief that a blade grinder was just fine. That there would be no discernable difference, that grind just before brewing was the key, and how you grind doesn't really matter - only the snobbiest of coffee snobs even pretend to care.

Then I ordered a small hand crank burr grinder. And I just made my first cup of coffee with it. And let's just say I was wrong.

(If course, I only ordered the manual grinder to travel with, because the lady got me a travel pour over set so I'm not subjected to terrible hotel coffee and even worse coffee at corporate HQ.)

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Where are you going that there's no Starbucks, or Tim Horton's in a pinch?

Both have "good enough" versions of cold coffee.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The issue is getting another cup of coffee once meeting have started. Sure, I can run through Starbucks (though there is a wonderful, but expensive, Independent Roaster around the corner) before getting to hq. But there's not enough time to run to one during the meetings. So, it's live with terrible coffee, go without coffee, or just get hot water from the break room and demonstrate my full coffee snobbery.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Like, is it a drive? If it's nearby and not a drive, I can order on the app, head downstairs, get my coffee, be back up, in our 10-15 minute breaks.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've had my coffee maker since about October 2013 or so. Hasn't failed me yet.

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Citizens of Rome,

I have began a relationship with an organic barley and chicory coffee alternative (I'm allergic to caffeine); quite pleasant to drink, I take it black with no sugar and it is wonderful.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. Ten minutes to get there.

And if I'm going to go through that effort to get "passable" coffee, why not brew my own and get actually good coffee?

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's a Starbucks that's about a 7-10 minute walk from where I am, but they're the devil.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Starbucks.

*ducks for cover*

A new drive-thru just opened on my route to work.

I bring a large travel mug of coffee with me to work (not Starbucks, I usually buy an organic brand from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s). It lasts me most of the morning and I don’t have to bother with crap coffee.

24. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    As an old lady, I think I'm supposed to be insulted. Grrrrrrr

I live in DD land, hate that crap. It's where people go who don't like coffee but like craptons of sugar crap in the crap crap coffee crap.

I drink Peet's Major dickinson decaf with a splash of caff. Can't drink full on caffeine due to jitter issues.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]