main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coffee!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Dobrolous, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I like coffee. I wouldn't say I'm a coffee snob, though. I'll drink it just about any way you give it to me.

To date, the only coffee I've encountered that I hate is Burger King coffee. That stuff is absolutely undrinkable.

I don't generally do decaf either. I mean, I'll drink it, but if I have a choice of decaf or regular, I'll usually pick regular. I don't know if it's actually a thing, or if it's just me, but decaf doesn't quite taste the same.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You've clearly never met many grad students. That was like a normal Tuesday.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You've probably never met a parent of twin toddlers. 25 cups is by noon.

Ramza likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Dude, when I was in grad school part of our program was to be on set for student films until like 4am on Sunday (after a 16 hour day), then to get up and be there on time for our cinematography class at 7:30am on Monday. Which no, you could not miss. This isn't like a large university class where you can just skip it. The prof did take roll and he did flunk anyone who missed more than three classes in a semester.

SO yes... coffee.

Still wasn't enough to keep my brother from backing his car into a tree on the way to one of those classes, though. Education!

6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing this thread makes me want a cup of coffee so bad. But it's 6PM and I have to catch a bus to the airport at 5 AM tomorrow, so it's best I just tough it out a few more hours and go to bed early :(

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Only a little ashamed that this morning I ordered Starbucks new Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew today.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It's still August!!

Alpha-Red likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think I saw a Halloween-themed Disneyland commercial just a few days ago.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I know. I'm disappointed it took them so long to put pumpkin back on the menu.

DarthTunick and Runjedirun like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm, meh. As long as she agrees about Surprise Dog.

13. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I prefer to drink coffee black. no French roast, too acid, I drink Starbuck "Breakfast Blend". the worst coffee at a convention? The Star Trek 50th Anniversary at the Rio hotel in Las Vegas. it tasted like Army coffee hideous! I ordered it very strong too-YUK! The best at a con. was last year at Cele. in Chicago, the Starbucks was excellent! strong coffee, quick,friendly service and lower prices than here in WA. state.

Runjedirun likes this.
  14. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    For a long time and on a number of forums I used to have a signature saying "Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt." That says something about my attitude to coffee, although I will rather drink instant than the awful stuff they have in the vending machines at my office. I'll only drink that if I need a laxative, it's truly that bad. Most of my colleagues drink it like there's no tomorrow, though. Yet another reason for me to rejoice I'm WFH until at least the end of August...

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I'm neither a "coffee snob" nor do I know much about it. In fact when I do drink coffee once in a while it's mostly the instant variety - just add hot water, stir and drink. My family and relatives have tried ground coffee or even ground the beans (I think mostly from Brazil, Colombia and other Latin American countries) themselves with a grinder plus used all kinds of coffee machines. As far as I can tell no one in the family has ever really been satisfied with the flavor.
    What works best for me is Vietnamese (they do grow their own coffee beans there) Trung Nguyen G7 instant coffee. Everyone I know says the smell and flavor is very rich and actually smells like coffee. It's instant, so.... probably not for everyone. But the same company also sells whole beans and all kinds of other variations.
    In any case, if you want to try some really delicious coffee under no circumstances miss those small coffee shops almost at every corner if you ever take a trip to Vietnam, certainly Hanoi. Nothing like it anywhere else!
    Oh, and by the way I wouldn't be caught dead in a Starbucks. Never in my life set foot in one and intend to keep it that way.:D

16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

My desk is a mess but as you can see, I'm properly fueled to change that.

Juliet316 and Runjedirun like this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm no coffee snob, having been brought up on tea for starters, but I do love a coffee or two to get me going, and I drink it whilst writing as well. I am happy to report that Australian coffee is some of the best in the world when ordered in cafes here, and large coffee chains aren't really a thing in this country. In fact Starbucks completely failed in Aus, and closed all of their outlets here.

Having said that, I'll happily settle for a cup of instant in the morning; it's quick and easy, and I usually want to start writing ASAP as soon as I get up. There are a few decent coffee growers just inland from Cairns on the Atherton Tablelands who do decent filter coffee, and I had some in the flat when a Swedish friend visited last year. He practically exists on coffee, and even he was impressed.

Have had really good coffee on the road in many places, with the notable exception of Thailand, where it seemed terrible everywhere! You can even get decent coffee in the UK these days; a far cry from the 1970s, when I was happy to stick to the UK's usually excellent tea.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I grew up with Nescafé granules and I prefer instant coffee for everyday drinking. Years ago, I shared a house with a Dutch colleague who became gradually more and more horrified with my cup of instant coffee every morning. One morning he produced a cafetière and insisted that I stop drinking that “freeze-dried crap”. It was much nicer and I do appreciate the flavour of properly brewed coffee, but I tend to view this as an occasional luxury.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Started today with a cup. Needed more rev than my usual Earl Grey gives.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Something about coffee, when you drink it every morning as just a regular thing and have done so for quite a while without even really thinking about it, you kind of start getting the feeling that it doesn't have any effect anymore. But the one morning you don't drink it, you can definitely feel the difference starting by about 10am. And even throughout the day you can, up until when you go to sleep and you're just a little more tired at the end of the day than normal. This happened to me the other day, and it was really eye opening how much of a habit drinking coffee has become for me. It just threw me off kilter a little bit. I think after this upcoming holiday season I'm going to try and wean myself off of it.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wean yourself if you can, @MotivateR5D4 - caffeine is quite addictive.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  22. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    It is addictive, but it's one of the most innocuous addictions around. There are even health benefits to drinking coffee, including a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, some liver disease and even Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Coffee contains a significant amount of antioxidants, Western coffee drinkers typically get more antioxidants from coffee than fruit and vegetables combined.

More info here: Coffee good or bad

All that said, I do have a caffeine addiction, because if I can't drink it at all because of a stomach bug, I get a headache...

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sadly, that was not my experience personally. Admittedly when the caffeine habit got to be too much for me, I wasn't yet aware of the recommended maximum daily dosages. In any case, it got to the point where I just decided to quit cold turkey because I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm OK now, and it's even ok to have small dosages now and then. No way do I want to risk getting addicted to caffeine again.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I consider it more of a habit than an addiction. I don't even really think about it ever, I just do it. It's as normal to my morning as showering and brushing my teeth, just part of my routine. It doesn't ever occur to me that I need to have it or anything. But maybe that's part of the addiction? I don't know. All I know is I went without for the first time in who knows how long and I could definitely feel the difference, at a time when I've started to question if it really even has an effect on me anymore.

25. Arwen Sith

May 30, 2005
    Glad to hear that you're OK now and are taking the precautions you need. I drink a bit more coffee than the recommended daily dosage (about 4 cups, I usually drink 5 or 6). I can live with this, though.

When I was writing my Master's thesis, at times I'd drink as much as 20 (!) cups of coffee a day, and that was definitely not healthy. Once I got the research done, I'd drink coffee, write and keep at it until I just had to sleep, go to sleep for one or two sleep cycles (90 minutes or 3 hours) and start over, no matter what the time was. At some point during a 24-hour period I ate a hot meal, but mostly I lived on coffee and chocolate and gained a lot of weight in a few months. It's not a procedure I'd recommend to anyone. After I handed it in, I slept for 16 hours straight. The first thing I did after that was to cut my coffee and chocolate consumption way down and started exercising again.

It's weird, but I can drink quite a lot of coffee without getting the shakes, but I can't tolerate taurine at all. So most energy drinks are out of the question for me, even half a can of Red Bull gives me heart palpitations.

Princess_Tina likes this.