main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collectormania 10!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by lukesgirlie, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    It's 15 quid per item to autograph, usually.

2. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Yea, and David was charging £20. But its worth it. I got him to sign a pic of him and miranda otto at the coronation scene. Im going to gmex mainly to get miranda's signature lol

3. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    :eek: That's like $50 for me. And that's very un-Australian. I hope that money was going to charity. I would never pay for an autograph. Never. David is no longer one of my fave actors. Hugh Jackman is now my number one! He at least brought The Boy From Oz to Perth wehn it orginally wasn't coming. He likes Perth having studied at WAAPA before he made it big.

4. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Basiaclly i dotn judge the actors for charging. Most of the money goes to showmasters anyway so that they make the money they spent getting the stars to attend back. I assumed that showmasters pays the actors, pays for accomadation and travel. And because this is a free entry event, they have to get the money back somehow.

And anyway, Hugh Jackman would charge £25 if he went lol

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm sure most celebs don't want to pay
    But Showmasters have to amke money somehow, especially if entrance is free.

I know Dave Prowse charged and the moeny went to his charity, so I was happy to pay.

6. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    From my experience at working at the early Collectormania shows, the 'minor' guests would receive the majority of the autograph fee, with a percentage going to Showmasters. For the bigger names, I imagine that they are paid an appearance fee and probably only receive a small cut of the actual autograph fee, if any at all. I expect the actors agents negotiate the fee with Showmasters.

However, I still think it is wrong that some of the SW actors, for example the likes of Dave Prowse, Kenny Baker etc should charge at all. They're not 'celebrities' in the meaningful sense of the world and they are basically getting paid for signing a picture of a character they played in a film 25 years ago. Nice work if you can get it!

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Apart from profit, another reason why they feel inclined to charge £15-25 per autograph is because people can easily make money out of them. This hasn't been helped by the likes of ebay either, but in some ways you can't argue against any actor charging for their autograph at a show if people can and do make money selling them on afterwards. My first convention was way back in 1998 and at that time it cost £5 to have your own item signed by Dave Prowse or Jeremy Bulloch. Then in 1999 the ebay affect really kicked in and they went up to £15-20 overnight. Ray Park's first ever show was at the NEC around March '99. No one knew who he was but he charged £25 for his autograph (And yes, muggins here got one :p). However, a week later they were selling for around £200 on ebay. So there you have it, blame ebay, like you can with most of lifes problems :p

But in fairness, the cost of running these shows is HUGE and they have to at least try to cover costs or else they wont happen, so I don't mind paying. I just think it should be cheaper for your own items.

8. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    For some people, $50 an autograph is a lot of money. I wouldn't buy any auotgraphed stuff from ebay, as it takes the fun out of meeting these famous people. Charging people also takes the fun out of it too. Had I known these celebs were going to charge, I would never have asked for an autograph.

9. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i don't know... the whole autograph thing...
    if i bumped into terry gilliam in the street and had a chat with him,would the first thing i'd say be to ask for his autograoh? no... i'd probabaly congratulate him on an outstanding career in film-making... maybe ask what his next project was going to be... maybe,slyly mention i was an artist myself and jokingly offer to send some work to his office...
    but an autograph...? probably not... what would the point be?
    maybe get a picture of us together...?
    so why do i do the whole 'obscure extra stormtrooper actor autograph-thing'?
    is it some kind of illness?

10. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry, but have no idea who you're talking about.

I'm not shy to grab an autograph and/or photo from someone famous I saw on the street. Sure, he was an AFL player from Sydney when I was there for a day, but someone I'll never meet again. I'm not going to waste an opportunity like that.

11. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    sorry,i'll simplify things.
    i sometimes fail to see the worth in getting someones autograph.
    what makes getting somebody to sign something with thier signature so worthwhile?
    it really is a bit pointless,when you think about it.

12. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I know what you mean jamie, as I sometimes share the same line of thought. I'm usually very careful as to whom's autograph I purchase/get, and for me it's purely a display thing. Right now I have my Brazil CE DVD set signed by Terry Gilliam in a rather nice framed box thing from IKEA on my wall. Looks great :D

In recent years there's been a huge emphasis on collection autographs though, and I think it's because they are the only thing that hold their value these days. The toy market, for example, has really gone down hill and pretty much worthless with one or two exceptions (the new stuff, that is). So autographs are the new toys in many ways :p

13. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    " Back when I was younger...."

I used to love collecting autographs when I was younger, mainly of the local sports players, as they are the most famous people I've ever met. If I meet anyone more famous than them, then yeah I will get an autograph, as I'll never meet them again in my life.

Welcome to Perth - very rarely do we get anyone famous here. And when we do, expect every man and his dog to be hanging around like a bad smell. There is no such things as conventions in my town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.