main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collectormania, GMEX - Manchester

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Lord_Ogli, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Ok, this Feb Collectomania comes to the North and go-away has asked me to see about making this a big north meet and its as good as any so here goes.

The big Q's:

• Who wants to go?

• If you do, do you plan to dress up?

• What date works best for everyone?

Ok, I'll do my damdest to make Sat and Sun, may only be the Sun, depends on wether I get a new job by then and I will be in robes if others wanna do the same.

2. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    I plan on attending. definatly. although I do not know how exactly to get there. I dont plan on dressing up but I dont have a prob with others. its cool to see costumes! :D. I would prefer it to be saturday but Im up for any day really

3. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    Ta for posting this :D

Any day suits me, might even go for both of them. Won't be dressed up. Would be great to see some costumes though.

If anyone needs a guide to get them there from the local public transport locations, I'm happy to meet up with people on the way to the event. Can't help re driving - likely to send you down several one way streets the wrong way :p

4. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Even tho I'm not a Northerner, I want to make this, depending on cash.

5. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Ohh, hope ya can V. U're on my list of FFUKers i'd like to meet.

6. Vyka

Vyka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    V, you can always crash at ours. I

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I can't believe I got confused over this - Collectormania is usually in London or some farflung place where no Northern usually treds! So it's Manchester???!!! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am so there, not much so for signings and stuff (I doubt there is much new comics/books that I'll need - up to date at the mo), but finally I can meet you lot! :D

Even tho I am an hour away on the train, I may well book a hotel for the Friday/Saturday nights so I can be part of any after-Mania-activities :D I best scout out places next weekend when I come up to my old home, bet it rains too! Southport - Manchester trains stop after about 10pm, so I may as well stay in a hotel, think there is one near Deansgate where the G-Mex is, that opened a few years back.

Not sure if Mary checks the UK North, I'll better see if she wants to do the meet for then, so she can do her Bollyshop in Rusholme. Never been this excited to return to Manchester lol.

Do you reckon I should get the early bird for Sat? Or the standard to get me in for 11am?

8. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    I'd suggest everyonw getting the Standard, No point a few of us getting early birds when the rest are stuck outside and though I am tempted to look into the Gold ticket.

9. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Gold ticket does sound tempting but oh the expense right after Christmas. Hmm, could take all the pressies back :p

Hotels - The Ibis is handy.

I'd offer accommodation but the house will be in the process of a re-fit by then. Plus we have no furniture :p

10. fatburty

fatburty Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2005
    I intend to be there. I'll be on a standard ticket though and I then intend to pop into town for a few jars with whoever fancies going.

Don't know what day I'll be going though. I'll go with the general consensus though.

BTW I'm back from my hols now.

11. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Bevvies sound cool to me. The Waterhouse on Fountain/Princess St is pretty good with excellent food (non-smoking though!)

Hope you had a good break.

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Welcome back Boss :D How was your holiday, hope it was good :D

Bevvies are great (thou I'll be on coca cola as I don't booze like you lot :p ).
    Thanks Go_away for the thought, np I'll do the hotel and try to get a central one. It's my own fault for not learning to drive (I did take lessons, but my eyesight is bad and my distance judgement is worse, so I gave up and rely on public transport instead lol). I could let my friend know I am there, he lives near Rusholme, but I may not pester him, it'd be strange to crash at his and his gf who I have never met. I haven't slept in Manchester for a few years, will be nice to be in the city again. Just hope we don't bump into my ex lol, that'll be scary.

I'll do the standard ticket then, Gold is within my current means (though that may change early next year, but it isn't the same as CIII which was pure SW). I can live with getting in after 11am lol.

13. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Standard ticket for me too then...

I want to do Sat and Sun and hope to meet up with some of you guys ad gals for a night out maybe on the Sat?

Hotel? Is the Ibis near to the venue then? Anyone wanna share a twin room to save some £'s? Room costs are £51 this year, probably nowt much different for March I would guess...£25 each looks good t me - gone are my days of sleeping in the Manchester bus station area (dodgy at the best of times....)

Costume? Count me in! [face_dancing]

//Watches thread with anticipation!

14. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    The Ibis isn't far - about 10 mins walk.

15. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Jedi's will grace the streets of Manchester then...of course, with huge Sean Ryder parkas on though....the Manchester Jedi look[face_laugh]

16. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Ok dudes and dudettes, I am also looking to attend, depending on work and cash, so you could very well have some Midlands interlopers. It'll be good to see Jase and Dean again though.

17. darkinhere

darkinhere Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    And I think I'll be among them! Thanks for the heads up about the Ibis - I've stayed in them before and I know what to expect. Now if I can just twist the wife's arm, make sure the kids are with their father, buy a proper jedi robe in time....

18. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Martin and Rob - this is gonna be a great weekend I sense! [face_dancing]
    [image=http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B00006ALGM.09.MZZZZZZZ.jpg]

19. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...have been busy scouring the net to find a cheap city centre area Manchester hotel...little joy, aside from the Ibis right now at £55 for the one night (room only)....could the Ibis be the FFUK venue for accomodation....any thoughts...? [face_thinking]

http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/3143/fiche_hotel.shtml

20. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Jase, been to Manchester today to attempt to finish off the chrimbo shopping (failed miserably btw, but Amazon UK is my best pal lol :p ), I picked up a guide to staying in Manchester, when I get time tomorrow I'll take a look at it.

I was thinking of this place - http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do - Someone at work recommended the Premier Inn, though in a roundabout way - they went through "Travel Inn or Lodge", then "Holiday Inn" and then finally "Premiere Lodge". I googled and found the Premier Travel Inn lol

Holiday Inn doesn't seem to have a central Manchester location, so no good.

This sites lists a lot of hotels - http://manchesteronline.laterooms.com/sr.php3?a=l&lang=eng&a=l&lang=eng&al2=manchester&al1=0&d=0&n=1&b=1

This is where the G-Mex is located - http://www.ncp.co.uk/multimapform.aspx?client=ncp_xml&width=500&db=gb&height=290&X=383736.98057327&Y=397785.939312928&themode=3&dist=0.06,0.06,0.19,0.25,0.30,0.37,&scale=5000&type=zoom

There is a tram stop at Deansgate, next to the G-Mex, so if you are coming from Picadilly train station then we can all meet up there and use the trams to ferry between there and any nearby hotels. Damn I love those trams lol (used to live by the Bury-Manchester line) :D

I'll post more tomorrow, I best get some rest, was hectic in Manchester city centre today.

21. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...just had a look at Premiertravelodge....55.95 for the night plus car parking charge...only available at the Portland St hotel...still cheaper at the Ibis....I also rang around a couple more centre hotels who were also full for that night...so I have made a provisional booking at the Ibis for a twin room - they didnt ask to take a credit card or anything and still booked it over the phone...receptionist said that they still had a few rooms left...looks like its gonna be a busy weekend...

Although I would enjoy going on the tram, it really isnt that far to walk to the G-Mex...get healthy Tim! [face_dancing]

ps. it seems that only the real expensive hotels in Manchester have free car parking...the rest are NCP - cost £10 for 24 hrs....at least NCP are fairly secure...o_O

22. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Lol Jase,
    I am only talking trams for people coming via trains to Manchester and who have bags, so they don't need to get taxis etc. I am planning on having a small rucksack myself, just need a change of clothes for Sunday. I just walked most of the city centre of Manchester yesterday :p

23. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Tim - you need Jedi underpants - they never need changing each day, thanks to the ways of The Force...[face_blush]

Are you convinced to book the Ibis then? Although we both dont drink, the bar will be ours!!!! We will enslave Lord O to toil behind their bar all night!!!! I think he needs to do a bit of work, seeing as though he has had a 'virtual' skive in the FF-UK pub all this while...[face_thinking]

24. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    I do not skive. U lightweights just don't order enough drinks [face_not_talking]

25. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    just order loads for yourself then :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.