main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collector's TAP CAFE XV everyone is welcome here !!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CrazyMike, Sep 28, 2007.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Morning all! Well, the papers are full of the England win. The other semi-final is tonight: South Africa vs Argentina.

And 'the Caveman' didn't help France much - I agree. However if the game had gone on longer I think France had a good chance of scoring. They were giving it a good go and just ran out of time.

2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Good morning everyone :) I skipped my server work this morning so I actually had a decent night's sleep for a change on a weekend. Jeannette enjoyed the photoshow and is plsnning her future camera purchases. It is going to be an expensive couple of years :)

3. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Good morning. I got nearly 12 hours of sleep by going to bed early last night. I guess that's good, but I feel like I missed part of my precious weekend. Anyway, kind of stressful around here...busy at work, and my grandmother's health is failing. I'd trade anything for a vacation!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had a relaxing afternoon. The sun came out so I was able to sit in the garden for about an hour. Then the first Ice Age film was on TV so I watched that. I've only seen it once before. I've seen Ice Age 2 both in the cinema and it is currently running on Sky Movies. I'm just waiting for the rugby to kick off (South Africa vs Argentina) in about 30 minutes.

5. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Sorry to hear that things are not 100% Pat. Jeannette has her immigratio hearing on Tuesday so I will be taking the day off

6. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Hope everything goes well with immigration. Canada seems like a really nice place to live. My wife and I have often thought about moving. But I keep hoping things will get better here.

7. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Thanks. Although it is called an examination interview I have heard it is more formalities with just taking payment (a lovely huge sum of $490 but won't be so bad as I will be able to work now and also won't have to apply for a work permit on top of that which is $150!), also getting photos off of me for my permanent residence card, looking at my passport, asking some questions and then paperwork. Others I have spoken to say it didn't take them all that long. No matter we have a Harry Potter meetup in the same city later that day so will be going to the mall nearby which should keep us entertained as it is one of the largest malls in Canada.

Pat, well one good thing you have on your side which the UK and Canada doesn't have is that you only get two terms ;)
    Although I know Bush has a brother which isn't a promising sign but you can hope he doesn't run and win :p

8. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Ugh. I shouldn't have read this before bed. Now I'll have nightmares.[face_skull] I'd like to say people will have learned their lesson by the time he's out, but I still see a lot of "W" bumper stickers around here.

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol sorry :p

Personally I thought people would have learnt the first time around and not re-elected him. Then again I thought the same about Tony Blair :rolleyes:

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Morning all! It's cloudy but dry here so I will be wandering to town after lunch.

I hope your hearing goes OK tomorrow, Jeannette!

11. Tim_In_CT

Tim_In_CT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Mornign Hon [face_love] .

Morning everyone else!

IncomT65, I love my DVR's, skipping commercials and the dead spots while being able to go back and pause is well worth the cost, and learning curve.

Jeannette: Good luck with all the hoops the government is making you jump thru. I'd be curious about the types of cameras you are looking at. I'm thinking of another camcorder. Something with a hard drive, and time compression. I need a copy of "What (Put Product here) mag that is on the stands in the UK.

rebelwookiee: I think the same thing about the W stickers. There are a lot of red states versus my little blue state..... you would think everyone learned a bit.... we shall see.

And of course Hi Mike!

Slow down buddy, it sounds like you are going 24 X 7 X 365. Unless you own the place, that's too much. ;)

12. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Good morning everyone :) I agree Tim and I have started to feel the impact of the huge amount of hours that I work. I was not feeling that good this morning so I am working from home today. Those Canon EOS D series cameras are really something Tim :)

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Thanks Les :)

Tell me about it. I really like the EOS D1S but I can't afford $10,000 on a camera body alone, well at least not next year if I want to go to the UK :p
    I'm going to have to go with the EOS D1, not as good megapixel wise but more affordable as for the $10,000 I can get the camera and accessories rather than just the body.
    And if I really wanted to save money, we'll be doing a trip to the US to buy the accessories as I know Mike was showing me lenses before and a big one was about $7,000 in Canada and around $5,500 in the US I think. With the Canada $ being like it is, and hopefully it stays then it will be good for me to go shopping lol

14. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    and I thought that SW collecting was expensive :)

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hey all. It looks like I just beat the nasty weather moving in. It was partly cloudy and mild as I walked home but the clouds are moving in and the wind is picking up. I think we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow.
    I found one SW item I hadn't seen before. One of the department stores had a few SW items in their Mens' Christmas Gift section. They had Vader and Yoda figural mugs that came out around RoTS time (I passed) and keychains from Cards Inc. I got a Jango keychain (basically his helmet). They had Vader, a Stormie, and R2 as well. Boba is pictured as part of the collection but he wasn't in stock. The date on the packaging is 2006 so I don't think these have just come out.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I see I got to kill the place..

Morning all! It's raining off and on here today. It's supposed to get heavy later this afternoon. I dodged the raindrops to go grocery shopping and I was rewarded well for it. Sainsburys had one Animated Boba on the shelf. Mine now! They had a couple of McVaders as well but I passed on those. Those were the only Wave 4 figures they had.

17. Tim_In_CT

Dec 2, 2002
    Morning All,

The EOS series is a great line. My Digital Rebel (300D) is a low cost EOS, and I software flashed (Thank you eBay) it to a 20D since the body and mechanics are the same. Of course now I have no warranty, but getting the shutter speed and increasing the number of pictures before write is really nice.

Les, now you have a Jango to go with the Boba keychain. ;)

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's true. The Jango keychain doesn't talk though.

19. Tim_In_CT

Dec 2, 2002
    Ok, here's a quick contest ( no prize except bragging rights).

If you had to market a talking Jango keychain that would play five lines of any of his parts, what would you select?

General agreement should decide the best lines. ;)

Edit: I forgot about the SW books, but any good line should be able to stand on it's own.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Definitely
    'Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi' (especially if you have read Open Seasons so you know the backstory on that line)

'I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe'

After that I'd probably have to look at some of the Bounty Hunter cutscenes for good lines.

21. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Good morning/afternoon everyone :) We are getting ready head to to Jeannette's immigration hearing which will be in a few hours. One of the guys that I work with has a 20D Tim.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Good luck with that, Mike. I hope it all goes OK!

23. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I didn't know you could do that but I never looked into it, if I had I would have know. Mike's dad has the rebel, he just decided one day to go and buy a camera but he hasn't really used it that much. Think he used it at a flower show (although he forgot to charge the battery so died half way through the day). But other than that he really hasn't used it much which is a shame because for what he wants it for it is really nice, perhaps a bit too much power because he really could have just got a point and shoot type camera.
    He could have waited and got the nicer camera for about the same price but he just decided one day to get a camera for no real reason. Must be nice to spend money like that lol

Ok guess I really should finish getting ready as we are leaving in about an hour! [face_worried]

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Morning all! It's a bright sunny day here after it poured rain most of the night. It's cooler though - only supposed to get up to 60F today. It's not bad in the sun, however.

Jeannette/Mike - how did the dealings with Canadian bureaucracy go?

25. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Good morning everyone :)

It was a crazy day yesterday but Jeannette got her perminent residence staus in Canada. I will let her fill in the details. I have another fun filled day here at work :)