main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate College: Free Exchange of Ideas or Liberals Cancelling Chicken Sandwiches?

Discussion in 'Community' started by J-Rod, Feb 23, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This was shared by my friend who is a psychology professor at one of the local universities.

Celebrating intellectual engagement on college campuses

Two things she pointed out were that college students do not get enough credit for being willing to have conversations about controversial subjects (the "safe space" need is grossly overstated at best) and that yes, she does teach what she wants; people do not get PhDs in a subject without knowing quite a bit about it and being passionate about it, so why would professors not teach what they want? It would be pretty insulting to give them a script to follow. Bachelors and masters-level K-12 teachers are practically given a script to follow and it is pretty insulting.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, you wanna talk about indoctrination? This is a script mandated by a company that owns numerous local news outlets:

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    They accuse you of being what they are themselves.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    University turned me into a raging Communist!

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think there's a pill for that.

DANNASUK likes this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That Sinclair thing was so frightening. It was like watching hostage videos. These anchors need to work out a way to signal to their audiences when they're being forced to say things by the owners. Blink "This is horse****" in Morse code or something.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I debated putting this here or in the US Politics thread. It’s about anti-intellectualism and the idea that “my ignorance is as good as your knowledge.”

A couple of disclaimers first:

—The issue of people claiming “I’m entitled to my opinion whether I can prove it or not” is prevelant on all sides of the political spectrum.

—Adding this because I am posting it in this thread: I don’t think a person needs a college education in order to have well-researched views on a subject. I do think a person needs to respect the views of people with qualifications.

No, you are not entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to what you can argue for

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I actually don't like how that's worded at all. :\

Someone may not be a good debater but correct and someone else might be excellent at defending a wrong position.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s a fair point.

My main reason for posting the article is that it gives the best summation against the idea that “my ignorance is as good as your knowledge” as I’ve seen in awhile.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oops, wrong thread.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It just boils down to a simple error, and I put it at the feet of that fraud Jefferson - no, not all people are created equal. All people are born with equal rights under a liberal democratic framework. But the opinion of an arse-crack showing hillbilly and an accredited oncologist, about cancer, is not equal and telling people you are equal no matter what was an idiot's interpretation of Locke and Hume. That's one of the biggest fallacies of the modern world, and I understand the appeal - rooted as it is in a notion that stupidity is no barrier to having people do what you want - even though I abhor it.

13. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I don't know how you can read anything Jefferson writes and still take him saying "all men are created equal" seriously, let alone at face value.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He's like Stalin; he just rewrites, in a heavily simplified fashion, what others wrote before him, gets it wrong, and has unreasonable levels of pride in this "achievement".

15. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I don't even know if I would call it wrong so much as purposefully misrepresenting.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    are we talking about Jefferson or Stalin? Applies to both, just want to be sure we're on the same page.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @J-Rod, on this point - can you please explain the university careers of David Cameron or Alexander Boris de Pfeffer Johnson, aka Boris Johnson?

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Is this about ****ing that pig ?

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hence the reality that countless numbers of people think they know more about climate science than actual scientists. That's the place where it's most jarring for me. And the reality is that all the people who say they don't trust scientists or whatever are living lives almost entirely dictated by science they don't understand. I mean, you live with Wi-Fi and computer chips and cellular networks every day and then say that you don't trust science? Only in the one area, I guess. Because science is literally why your entire world works.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Science has certainly become the battleground for idiots to try and outdo each other on. On the one hand you have religious folks, or just populist blue collar twits, who are suspect because they don't understand the science and fear change. On the other, you have the people with no formal qualifications in science who have a faith-like approach to science whilst basically behaving as the religious do. We've literally had someone on these boards act with smug superiority about their scientific insight, and how stupid creationists are, only to then describe evolution and natural selection in largely discredited Lamarckian terms.

It's absolutely amazing, and without a shred of self-awareness. I love it.

Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, there's absolutely a sort of Godlike arrogant attitude that science-worshippers and scientists themselves can slip into and it is off-putting, as most condescension is, so it's not hard to see why it makes people on the opposite end of the spectrum really bristle. It plays into their worst stereotypes of "science." I certainly go with the established science as I understand it, but science is by nature a shifting, constantly evolving discipline, so I think it's important to avoid that arrogance. Certainly, science often overturns science, so it's in our best interests not to venerate current science as absolute truth. But you respect it as being as close to an accurate picture of reality as we have. Certainly, current scientific consensus will be disproven, if or when it is, by other scientists, not by me or someone else like me.

Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't go there - PG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    https://apnews.com/0c87e4318bcc4eb9b8e69f9f54c7b889

>Newly released documents show Virginia’s largest public university granted the conservative Charles Koch Foundation a say in the hiring and firing of professors in exchange for millions of dollars in donations.

Every right wing talking point about colleges is 100% projection.