main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate College: Free Exchange of Ideas or Liberals Cancelling Chicken Sandwiches?

Discussion in 'Community' started by J-Rod, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Also given the rightwards tilt of the US spectrum, arguably the US universities are merely producing a lot of liberals, aka centrists with a conservative bent. A-aka "Left wing by American standards."

You should be happy J-Rod!

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    centrists with a conservative bent might as well be anarcho-communists to j-rod.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The millionaire whose donation funded the business school's building on my campus once commented on Twitter that students should get "good jobs" to pay their exponentially rising tuition like he did 30 or 40 years ago. After getting the predictable and justified response to his public pronouncement, he mused that he probably shouldn't donate to a school that doesn't promote "civil discourse" (i.e., letting him say stupid **** without repercussions). These wealthy donors should be J-Rod's heroes.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm keen to hear his thoughts on the One Nation Conservatives in the UK, actually.

@J-Rod, thoughts?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-nation_conservatism

One-nation conservatism (also known as one-nationism, or Tory democracy) is a form of British political conservatism advocating preservation of established institutions and traditional principles combined with political democracy, and a social and economic programme designed to benefit the common man.[1] This political philosophy views society as organic and values paternalism and pragmatism. The describing phrase "One-nation Tory" originated with Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881), who served as the chief Conservative spokesman and became Prime Minister in February 1868.[2] He devised it to appeal to working-class men as a solution to worsening divisions in society through introducing factory and health acts, as well as greater protection for workers.[3] One-nation conservatism is also defined as a political philosophy that sees the purpose of the elite as reconciling the interests of all classes, labour as well as management, instead of identifying the good of society solely with the interests of the business class.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

"Whiny students. They should have chosen to come of age in a time when student debt wasn't necessary and entry level jobs paid way more than they do now. Like I did."

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If only there were countries where pretty much every starting salary save maybe medicine and law, is greater than the total cost of the degree that supports it.

[Wocky] Oh, wait... [/Wocky]

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sure I'll just move to one of those!

Oh wait, they all hate immigrants too.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm I think wherever you* move people will have issues because of the nails-on-a-chalkboard accent, and the Americentric entitlement mentality.

* Pretty much anyone, not you specificially

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But what if I use my good Scottish accent and my British education to fool them?

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    And your Jewish name and knowledge of Biblical languages so they won't catch on that you're a Christian.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    won't help with the entitlement mentality.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey it worked in a heavily Jewish office once before. Boss's name was Akiva, so I knew. They noted I spoke Hebrew but knew they weren't supposed to ask if I were Jewish. Talked about my love of Golden Age Superman. I just let them assume, and got the job. Nailed it.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How many Akivas are there in Hollywood besides Goldsman? Are there that many? :p

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was actually referencing those events which you may have forgotten you told me before. :p

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know what or whom you are talking about. Nope.

Oh I know. That time I was directly asked if I was Jewish, and then later "How Christian are you?". Yeaaah. That's illegal in CA. I filed a complaint about that. We'll see what the state says.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Did you also complain to the federal EEOC?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or Texas Human Rights Watch?

@Lord Vivec - I applaud your efforts to return this to topic but right now I feel this thread is about humblebragging from SJ and still stay that way until she returns to work or something. Just ride it out.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes. Humblebragging about discrimination. That's definitely a thing.

I didn't no. I wasn't sure it was applicable. The advice I'd seen was to file a complaint with the CA EEOC. I didn't know if there was any point to double dipping.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One also might wonder whether there's any point appealing to the federal EEOC when the administration is run by avowed bigots.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I go on hiatus and come back to this thread reviving itself.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Not sure how you're reading it, but it's always been my understanding that "all people are created equal" is the same as "all people are born with equal rights under a liberal democratic framework". I've never heard it to mean that the views of anti-vaxxers should have the same weight as medical professionals.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But all people are created equal is not all people are born with equal rights. The former is written by a terrible intellectual who, in the more rigorous academic climate of Europe, would never have made a name and who didn't understand his Locke and his Hobbes. The latter is a carefully considered statement removing the "right" of states to enact arbitrary discriminatory practice.

As to your second point I can only assume you live in some sort of news-blacked-out nirvana.

[​IMG]

"These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks I should fly the plane?”

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I always want a 17th century philosopher to fly my planes .