main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lessa

Lessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    [face_blush][face_blush][face_blush]

Whew! At least I'm not alone! Today I spent an entire two-hour discussion writing fic in my notebook. Well, that's not true. The first page had actual notes, but from then on.... I felt so guilty, especially after this other girl came up to me after class and said, "I noticed you were taking a lot of notes. Can I borrow them?"

2. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    I should technically be reading all about American Political Systems....oh well. [face_blush]

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL at the notes story. Oops. The same thing happened to me when I was in high school and would write fic in the margins of my Greek notes.

I always have a laptop, since I have coordination problems, so I can just type fic if I want.

4. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    For all those who are writing in class: do you still get stuff out of the lecture or is it pretty pointless to go?

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I definitely get stuff out of the lecture. Sometimes it helps me remember things because I'll associate the story with certain parts of the lecture.

6. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I tend to have class notes and fanfic side by side on the desk. So, for instance, I had Bible, additional text, notes, and fanfic arrayed before me in my Christianity class this morning. When I need to take notes, I take notes. When there's a few minute lull or explanation of something I already have down pat, fanfic time.

7. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Sounds like a good system, JalendaviLady. :)

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I go to University of California San Diego. And the only time I write, it's usually in calculus or something, and if I'm writing, I'm not paying attention, thus, pointless to go.

And Procrastinator's Union sounds GREAT!

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    See, I actually like my classes this semester. Though cinema studies has turned into "make note of this narrative technique for stories," and animation often turns to, "Hmmm, I wonder if I could model X scene in my fic?" My philosophy notes are also slightly ridiculous. I have an outline of Plato on morality, citing where the Mandalorians would have no respect for the veiw, and how the Jedi Council (to my mind) fits the description of "The optimal life would be the immoral appearing moral." At least, that's definitely the way it goes in my fic. Furthermore, I've decided which characters are logical positivists, utilitarians, subjectivists, and intuitionist. Yay, ethics class for working on character development!

I also have a picture of the "Emotivist Vader" saying, "Yay, killing younglings!"

10. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Wow...classes helping with fics. That's quite the bonus. Well, if anyone needs help with financial stuff in their stories, such as Trade Federation Hedge Funds, let me know.

Off to bed for now though, Good Night.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I can see that. I'm still tempted to do some Kidnapped/SW story.

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I have become one with procrastination. I prefer just to type fics out. I used to write them down with pen and paper, but I quit. I usually jot down ideas and such during class...or space off. I'm good at that.

I can guarentee the 90% of the time I am online, I should be doing school stuff, but I am not. :p

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, most of us should probably be doing homework, but are talking about homework instead.

14. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Oh. My.

Just realized a pair of vignettes I posted last night were so totally influenced by Beowulf. Including the dragon.

EDIT: And the worst thing is, the Grendel and dragon stand-ins are CANON. Granted, Ewok movie canon...

15. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    [face_laugh] At least we've said the word homework. I find it an accomplishment to have my book open. *smacks back of hand*

16. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I talk about doing homework a lot. Heck, I have a series of stories here that talks about my homework. In fact, when I start getting busier, I imagine that story will gain some more chapters. But it's much more interesting to write about programming in assembly code than to actually do it. Good thing my days of assembly code are well behind me.

It's time for the fun stuff. *rubs hands together diabolically*

17. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    All of you guys writing fanfic in your notes?
    Ha! I teach at a university and I write my fanfic chapters before I write my class lectures. :p
    I wish more of my students wrote fanfic, then they would at least look like they were doing something in class.

I'm in the last stages of finishing my dissertation, so I live in the gray area between faculty and insane grad student.

18. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    It seems we all have the same priorities around here. :p Even the "insane grad students"! But I'm glad we're able to at least talk about our homework (FelsGoddess, you've got the right idea!)....makes me feel like we're accomplishing something!

Well, I'm off to the first class of the day....maybe I'll get some fan-fiction work done. ;) Have a nice day all!

19. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a poor college student I am I am I am!!!!!!!!!

*hops from foot to foot*

SO CAN I JOIN IN PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so. what are we talking about? :D

20. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    We're talking about the wonders of writing fanfic during class/homework time.

Which, incidentally, I'm about to go off and do. :)

21. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Woot! Go me! I sweet talked my prof into letting me write a creative essay in a non-creative writing class! :D

...which I should be doing right now. :p

22. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    That's pretty impressive Myri_Antilles. Congrats! Do you have a topic for your essay? (If you don't mind me asking!:))

23. Rynne

Rynne Jedi Master star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Ah, fanfic at college. I'd be doing much better with it if my computer hadn't needed to be checked in for spyware, and so I'm stuck in the library labs and library hours. (Library here closes at 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays! Insane.)

I don't write fanfic in class, as most of my classes are the take-actual-notes-or-I-won't-learn-enough-and-will-fail type. :p I daydream about fanfic, though--does that count? :D

24. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    Now that you mention it... I think my first Star Wars fanfic ever was written during a marathon science class. There were about three of us who would write stories instead of pay attention to the prof (he had the worst monotone voice, ever) and I ended up writing a sillyfic about the class being taken aboard the Death Star. No, I never said it was a good story.

I'm still a college student, though :) thanks to taking 7 years off and going part-time now. So if it's OK for part-time students to join, I'd like to.

25. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    I've got a character question for everybody.

Who, of all the Star Wars Characters, is a pessimist? Han, before ANH...Any others?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.