main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Jar Jar in TPM.

"Wesa die in here!" ;)

2. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    *laughs*

Alright, Han, Jar-Jar, and Mara Jade are going on my list of cynics.

3. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I actually got half a post done in my Psych class today. It was the most that I think anyone in that class accomplished. I think that's pretty much the only class I can write in though. It might be bad to not pay attention in o-chem
    --Wynssa

4. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I'd venture to guess that anyone heard uttering the words "I have a bad feeling about this." was being pessimistic at the time. So... all of them.

Hi! I am not a college student. uh, as of right now, I'm not technically an anything. Funny thing about graduating. Now it's all sending demo reels to as many places as possible and crossing my fingers. Go Demo Reels. Making a demo reel is akin to taking every acomplishment you even vaguely liked, juicing out all but that one second that is undeniably good, and tossing the rest, thus condensing four years worth of (in my case) animation into, oh, three minutes. Go Demo Reels.

So now I have a full-time job: looking for a full-time job. Woo.
    But on the bright side, I get lots of time to write! Woo! (and that's a non-sarcastic 'woo' I'll have you know)

So, do grey-area just-graduated college students get included in this College Student Writer's Union? I mean, I can't eat in the cafeteria any more but, damn it, the nasty food is still fresh in my memories.

Oh, and Oakie: it's really amazing what sorts of unexpected things some professors are intersted in. No fanfic writers, but I did have one film prof who was an avid Magic: The Gathering player. A thing I found out when I met him at the Sudent Union while he was in the middle of trying to stealthily buy a card set. Then there are professors that are so out there to begin with, nothing they do in their spare time could possibly surprise you. One of my animation professors was in charge of the scene in "South Park: The Movie" where Kenny goes to hell, and may have also animated a number of the more explosive farts. Another one, she's responsible for dressing Bugs in Madonna drag for Warner Brothers. I think the bra was carrot shaped. Then there was Skip, who once created an entire film using a xerox machine and crayons.
    Yeah, those people, you're not surpised when you find out they go to Mario tournaments, collect Ninja Turtle toys, or regularly attend frat parties.

5. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Nope, I don't mind! :D

And it's just Myri, please. ;)

I'm writing a dialouge between Reich and Adam Smith... I plan on not explaining why the kriff they're in the same room, talking. :p

6. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Probably best to leave that one up to the folks over at the Unsolved Mysteries series!

I actually had something of a plot bunny attack during history today, so started to write rather frantically. The people sitting around me almost certainly thought I was slightly over-zealous with the note taking! But nonetheless...hopefully something will actually come from this fic idea.

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Yodimus, you do animation, thus you can stay as far as I'm concerned. ;) I'm just taking the class myself this semester (with hopes of doing an Honours project later in my college education, not to mention the Graphics course that actually covers the programming aspects of it all...), and I'm having so much fun noodling around in Maya. I modeled a chicken. I think I'm sposta give him eyebrows, but I think the eyebrows make him look kinda scary, thus I'm doing an aesthetic veto. I did turn the torus that was going to be the first eyebrow into a barrel-like object, though... a giant, purple barrel that my chicken sat inside.

And now I shall give him some nifty surfaces. Yay! Maya is soooo much fun to play with.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It's weird living in an apartment, but without roommates. I'm in one of the rooms in a house that my friend Carolina owns with her husband and their 7-year-old daughter Zaire. But I'm very alone.

9. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Somewhat alone might be better than 3 other roommates though. I mean, roommates are nice and all, but there's a lot to be said about having your own room.

Almost Friday though! (Well, it's already Friday for me cause I've got no Friday classes)

10. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Oh yes, having my own room is a must. There is no way you could get me back in the dorms, even if you gave me a full ride. Living with three other girls in a space the size of a walk-in closet is just not cool.

11. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Being able to shut the door when your roommates are annoying you or you are just sick of people is very nice.
    --Wynssa

12. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I believe I'm going to miss that aspect of my divided double, but so far so good. If I feel the need to shun humanity for a while, I can lock myself in the Quiet Lab, put on the earphones, and nobody will bother me. Kinda nice. But I get along with my roommates thus far, and we have a pretty big room, so it's all good.

13. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm living at home at the moment. [face_plain]

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I should be writing a Sociology paper right now, but I'm posting here instead :D

15. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I live in the "social" dorms... it's interesting. :p Three people to a room and no sink in the room. (It's what is sacrificed for a fairly decent size room...) :(

Ah, well, at least I never feel lonely... :p

I also have a hard time getting work done... ;) :p

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I miss having sympathetic roommates right now. I've got a really bad sore throat and stomach bug, a fever of 101, and am exhausted and can't get warm at all.

17. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    When I go to college next year, I'll be living at home. I want homework help handy. :p

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Good choice. My family lived 2400 miles away until recently, so that would have been nice.

19. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    I lived alone this summer...it was odd.

a cat adopted me, though - so I at least had a companion.

20. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    *sigh* :( Ya'll are making me feel so old. I graduated college... eek! 10 years ago. :eek:

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, but Mouse, you're cute and lovable, still.

22. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999

Awwwww! [face_blush] Thanks Ish! That totally made my day! @};-

23. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    *walks in*

A place for college students? nice.

*relaxes on a not-too-comfortable college chair*

KT

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::pulls up a beanbag and eats Ramen.::

Feel free to hang with us crazy collegiates any time, mouse.

25. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Cmndr DWH: Yay! Maya is soooo much fun to play with.

Indeed it is! Uh, that is, until it starts murdering each of your family members one by one, then gives you cancer, then kills the whales and blames it on you, and then summons the devil to posess your best friend. But that's not even the worst: then it starts crashing right before you save.

But yeah, other than that it's awesome! ;) Seriously though, it's mind boggling what the program is capable of. I've played with it for four years and I've only scratched the surface. The name, I believe, comes from the Hindu goddess of illusion. It's a good description, cuz I've seen people do some absolutely astounding things with it, as it is, with no extra plug-ins. Sometimes, I've had to look twice to make sure I wasn't looking at a photograph.
    And personally, I prefer animating with that graph editor over real animation. (though real animation doesn't randomly corrupt itself or crash constantly. The upside of paper.) It's fun but tedious, though I'll gladly accept tedious for fun. If only I could pawn every other part - the modelling, lighting, texturing, rigging, skinning, programming, etc, etc, etc - off onto other people, I'd do it all day

Oh yeah, and the 'buying the software' job. That too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.