main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    [helpful] I can invade.[/helpful]

Bah, not that I have any time with my class and work schedule. I am also selling my car so trying to find a time when the Vehicle registration office is open when I am not working or in class is challenging.

Although, I am loving my Psych 375 class, my Poli Sci 370 class and my Public Speaking class--the only one I don't really care for is my Bio 150.
    Actually, in my Public Speaking class yesterday we had to give a 2 min speech of introduction. We were required to havs some sort of focus or theme throught which we introduced ourselves--I introduced myself through the theme of writing and included fanfiction in it!

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, if we end up doing the collectibles drop-and-swap, you get to invade my house next week. If not, you're welcome to come over any time you want.

3. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    I love my dorm. I just have one roommate, and we have a sink in our room (and new carpet!). Also, I have this scholarship for education - the NC Teaching Fellows - and at my college, all of the freshmen TFs live together, so it's like having this huge group of automatic friends right next door 24/7. So much fun! :D

I placed out of freshman composition altogether (three cheers for AP exams and for being able to write!), something I am eternally grateful for - but it does mean that most of my classes it's harder to get any writing done. Especially my drawing and design classes, because, y'know, it's easy to tell if you're not drawing or designing in there. ;)

4. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004

Well, we'll just have to fill that roommate position then! Trust me, you're not alone. I've been feeling kind of crummy all week too. There's something going around campus right now, and there's definitely a nip in the air! Drink something warm! [face_coffee] That'll help.

Doesn't exactly sound fun (although it's getting easier as I get older, public speaking has never been a strong point of mine)...but way to go incorporating fan fiction and writing in there! Kudos to you. I think that's the spin I'd have to take as well. :)

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That public speaking class sounds like the Scottish literature class where the teacher turned to us on the third day and went "okay, you all read the assignment" and then assigned us each a topic to talk about for 5 minutes right then. I was second in line.

6. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Yike. At a moment like that, I can definitely see some major brain-freezes coming into play. We're talking full on, deer-in-the-headlights look. ;)

7. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    *joins the ranks*

College is one big distraction from fanfiction. I find to balance that i come up with plot bunnies in class. Of course when i start giggling about them, my teachers look at me funny. [face_blush]

8. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    There's no writing fiction in class for me. I need to totally focus on what my professors are saying or else i'll be totally clueless to what is going on later. But I do find writing fiction when i'm supposed to be working on homework a great way to relieve stress..., for the moment :D

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I figured out what Mouse is: THE R.A.!

10. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

Nope, Mouse isn't the RA. She's the Head of Housing! :p

11. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I thought the mods were Head of Housing?

12. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I thought I'd nip in here and say that college takes up way to much time. What with my stupid research class, and time consuming Spanish 101 (speaking in Spanish 20 minutes a day EVEN though all we can do is count to 100...ridiculous) and my other crazy classes, and cross country...wow. Yeah, so that's why I haven't been reading ANY fics at all. So don't feel bad if I've abandoned your fics, it's not you, it's my lack of time. Sad, huh? So...this is my last post for a bit.

13. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Hi Laura!

Yes college does take too much time especially with working added in. Hey just have Ish over to practice spanish on.

You comin' to the FanForce activity?
    I look forward to meeting you actually especially since we are from the same place...

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Laura, you've got it lucky. I also studied Spanish at BYU, but we had to speak 14 hours of spanish a day. (Technically, the MTC is a BYU institution.)

15. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Laura! I remember you from Landwalker's massive guestbook site, back in the starwars.com fan page days! It just occured to me that that was a really long time ago.

I agree, though, college does take up too much time. And my friends want to drag me into a programming competition this semester, which I definitely do NOT have time for. What little spare time I have I want to be able to devote to my writing, I'm not interested in living in the lab. Errgh.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Last year, when I was in the Women's Chorus, I really didn't have time because I had concerts, dress rehearsals, retreats, sectionals...

17. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Try Marching Band. I did that in high school, and I swear, the only time I left the bandroom was to sleep.

Then I went to University of Florida. And the Marching Band is volunteer, unlike my high school's. So...The Gators are great and all, but I'd rather not spend my days in class, my evening in marching band, my nights with homework, get four hours of sleep, and then spend all weekend riding a bus to another state, march in weather that is invariably hotter than Death Valley or colder than Alaska, and then do it again. Every week for four months.

/end rant.

Feel lucky. Feel very, very lucky. I know I am.

18. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Oh man, I'm in first year and it's intense. I'm currently devoting an hour every Sunday to work on fanfics to take a break from studying and it's totally not enough. But I just have no time anymore. *cries*

19. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Woohoo! I just graduated from UCLA with a major in American Lit. and Culture (English, with American books) I'm unemployed and I've already written a 41-page fic! Aaahhh! Life is good.

Just have to edit it out so that all the R rated things I learned in college go back to the innocent PG-13 days of high school. ; )

20. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    It's 4am. I haven't been able to do any writing in forever, and I've just posted a bunch of stuff in the past week. The past week is also when papers have started coming due. Why do you taunt me with your bad timing, oh my muse?

21. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Heh, all these people with no time? I wish I had time, but I do, just not enough. *sigh*

KT

22. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Cool! I have a title! :D R.A. or Head of Housing, either is fine with me.

I wish I had fan fic in college. It might have given me something to do while on those softball bus trips besides homework. :p

23. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Has anyone been required to read the Iliad for a class? It's so bloody.

24. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Well, I just graduated from college (in May), and I'm in grad school now. If you guys ever need any advice/ anyone to talk to, feel free to bug me. :)

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The Iliad is my favorite ancient book and that's saying something! I remember having to translate the scene where Priam comes to Achilles in the middle of the night to beg him for his son's corpse and Achilles has compassion because he's reminded of his own father. I bawled through the entire homework assignment and not just because the Greek was so complicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.