main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, ah, the life of a SW fan...

2. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    JalendaviLady - sounds disturbingly familiar.

Only nusciance I have discovered upon graduating: I now have too much time.
    "Oh, boohoo!" you say, "Complain some more why don't you."

Well, the fact of it is, you'd really be surprised how motivating a busy schedule is. With extra free time comes extra procrastination. And since I have nothing more important to procrastinate with than my stories, (and looking for a job, but that doesn't seem to get pushed back for some reason) I'm making less progress now than I was with 18 credits worth of classes.

What nobody tells you about the phrase 'works well under pressure' is that it also means 'works crappy without it'

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Gar. This is what happens when I don't use the Internet on weekends...this thread ran away on me. [face_blush]

I'm technically a junior but I had to take this semester off because I couldn't apply for a loan to pay off my tuition balance. :_| Hold up on throwing the Tomatoes of Envy at me--it's no fun being out of school knowing this has tossed a monkey wrench in my class schedule and when I can't even go to work because my company isn't being paid enough to spare money for me. [face_worried]

I go to Parsons in NYC, but now I'm living in Jersey because I got sick of the dorms. A twin bed, a desk, and a claustrophobic shared bathroom and kitchen aren't worth $1,000 a month. [face_plain]

Every other page in my design liberals binders has something fanficcy on it. Those 5-10 minutes of roll call at the beginning of class are plot bunny heaven. :p But I don't do whole fics on paper anymore, not since early high school. My laptop monitor is busted, though, so I can't bring it anywhere--and no home internet access means I can't even upload what I'm working on right now. Wah. :_|

4. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Laptops? ahhh? especially Apple laptops? ahhh?

I like my laptop. It's very handy for school.

And for the JC, of course. :p

KT

5. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Who here has three tests coming up before the end of this month? I think i'm going to stay away from the forums for the rest of the month because I need to get studying and start writing papers and stuff. We'll see what happens.

6. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Let's see? I have a test every week in Calculus! Does that count?

KT

7. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Hey, I have four tests coming up in the next WEEK. I don't want to hear any complaining from any of you. :p

8. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    oh, that makes me feel better :p Actually, i really have nothing to complain about, huh? :D Well, i've got to do some final tweaking on my speech.

9. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Haha, as they say: no matter how busy you are, there will always be someone busier.

10. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Right up there with, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" eh? :p

So life is continuing pretty much as always. Busy and hectic. What's fabulous though - and really got my mood up - is that the weather is finally changing, and autumn is arriving! There's a little nip in the air, and it's definitely sweater weather. I love it!!

Don't work too hard guys! ;)

11. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Just dropping in to whine about how my classes start tomorrow :_|

And to wish everyone good luck on their tests.

12. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Don't forget about projects too. A test can be tackled in one night. A project/presentation can swallow up entire weekends.

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I have come to realize that, in the last three years, I have forgotten what little I knew about spreadsheet programs.

I really despise tedium.

But the Moldau is a really good piece for data entry. Oddly enough.

14. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    In that case my good luck includes (but is not limited to) tests, papers, projects, presentations, getting a good night's sleep, homework, and finding decent food in a college cafeteria.

15. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    sounds like a typical life. Don't take that cafeteria for granted. As bad as they can be, once you move off campus and have to scrounge for food on your own, you will definitely miss its convenience.

Hey, let's not all forget about the fun part of college too! The friends, the good times, the endless partying and drinking, the whole best four years of your life thing!

16. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    Best four years of your life? Oh, if only it was only four... it'll take me about six total to finish, not counting the years off in between. :/ I wish I could go to school full time.

17. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Let's not forget the ulcers, nervous breakdowns, hospitalizations due to dormlife with all of its germs or ripping out of hair either :p
    --Wynssa

18. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    I certainly do not miss the dormlife. My roommate gave me strep throat, not cool.

19. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I remember freshman year it started with one girl having a cough and by the time it got to me. I had a fever, sore throught, cough and body aches. Sad thing is one girl had to go to the hospital because of that flu. We affectionately called it The Plague.
    --Wynssa

20. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm avoiding my friends' apartment right now because half of them are really, really ill. No illness for me, the last thing I need is another distraction.

I feel kinda bad. I'm purposely ignoring a friend of mine from my compsci class, 'cause he keeps on pestering me about the homework, and I don't feel like explaining it step by step, when it can all be figured out from notes/the book. If my nonexistant attention span can do it, so can he. [face_frustrated]

Man, makes me feel like a jerk. But I really don't have the patience tonight. I commented to my roommate earlier that if I could toss the remains of my nalgene through the screen to hit him, I probably would.

Yargh.

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Hehe, so I tied in Star Wars with english. I have to write a reflective essay on an important event in my life. I chose going to see ROTS. :p I wrote this kickarse paper. Of course, only one person in my class gets is, a fellow Star Wars fan. My prof wanted us to do something like a mission trip. I've never left the country. If she wants to pay to send me to some country, I'll go. So my paper is on Star Wars. :p

And my father said it would never come in handy.

22. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    And my father said it would never come in handy.

Heh. *grins* I've compared Anakin Skywalker and Star Wars to Kabale and Liebe, up with the likes of Shakespeare and all that, in a Classical Literature class. And I also did a report on the Force and how it affects the vision of life after death and all that for Religion class last year. Trust me, I'm very good at using Star Wars as an example in topics that normally have nothing to do with it.

23. Killik_Twilight

Apr 6, 2005
    Hey, Jen, good to see you. How are you?

KT

24. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Eh, I'm still sick, but whatever. Getting very tired of this thing which keeps on morphing on me... And I'll be on IM in a bit- just have to heat up something and put in ear drops for my ear infection.

25. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Eee. You poor thing. :( I always tended to get sick on school holidays. It's like my body just loved depriving me of any chance of relaxing in my off time. I once got such a bad flu on Christmas holiday that I couldn't drag myself out to the drugstore two blocks away to get something for my scalding fever. I had to crawl to my RA friend's dorm two floors up and beg for Tylenol out of the dorm first aid kit. They nearly took me to the hospital instead. 8-}

Did everybody get their meningitis vaccines? Being protected against something that can eat your flesh off or explode your brain in 24 hours would be a good thing. [face_plain]

I did a couple projects on Star Wars, one oral presentation on its pop culture influence and another talking about the mythological structure and Joseph Campbell...all that good stuff. The teachers weren't too impressed, but at least it wasn't as painful to do them. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.