main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have five days to go until a deadline and I have no idea how to do the work. I can't even get motivated to even try. :_|

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't go back until the 11th, but I still have work to do. Scene analysises and such... I'm trying to get a short monologue prepared from Elizabeth Rex, and I have to get a chunk of text memorized for the play I'm in, but it's not going so well because my character talks almost as much as Hamlet does in every scene she's in. 8-} And she speaks Hindi, which I'm finding very difficult to remember since I don't speak Hindi. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't butcher the pronunciation too much, since the playwright is coming to see the show when it goes on in March. [face_plain]

My class schedule remains the same from last term, except now I have Fridays off (woot! [face_dancing] ) which will be used for rehearsal time. [face_tired] I have one 8:00 class and a 9:00 class, but mostly I start later in the morning. Wednesdays will continue to suck... I go from an 8:00-10:00 lecture (really, really frustratingly boring first year sociology) straight to a two and a half hour studio class without any breaks.

I'm hoping that my Muse doesn't die on me as soon as I get back, because it only just got reactivated! 8-}

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    High-Five for Fridays off!! :D Do you know anyone who speaks Hindi?

And also if a copy of the play might be at a library? You obviously know my Shakespeare thoughts :p but I like the Tudors.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I do know a couple of people who are helping me and my fellow actors, but I haven't spoken to them since school ended in early December because I've been home/studying for exams/using my holidays wisely. :p

The play is by Timothy Findley. It won the Governor General's Award for drama in 2000 and opened at the Stratford Festival in the same year. Very, very good, moving play about Elizabeth I, the Earl of Essex, William Shakespeare, theatre and acting and what it means to be a man and a woman. I'd imagine that it would be in your university library, Nat, in the dramatic lit. section or the English lit section (if you don't have a dramatic lit section). :)

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I don't usually end up there much :p I'll have to check into it when I get back :D

6. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I definitely don't spend too much time in the library, due to how many sketchy people are there and how it isn't near where I live. One of the nice things about being a science major is how I don't have papers... last semester I wrote two papers, both of which were two pages (but in German). Though the lab reports... ugh.

I've already accepted that I'm going to die next semester of homework and crazy, but at least I'll die doing something interesting and not due to annoying classes...

This whole January interterm, I'm keeping a chair warm in front of a computer, getting paid for it, and reading too much, perhaps starting work on a costume of some sort, and writing fanfic. Being a computer lab consultant is too much fun.

7. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Sithgirl: computer lab assistant's an awesome job. and yes, being a science major rocks ^_^ go us! Writing papers in foreign languages is fun, or at least I always had fun doing those in French. Wish I'd gotten to such a level that I could do that in Ancient Greek, too.

I'm so glad I've gotten past all of the lab classes, too. Haven't seen a science lab since analytical chem in fall of '08 unless you count my research work. Love not having crazy lab reports to write.

Idri:
    You get to memorize stuff in other languages? that sounds like a huge lot of fun. Now, if only I were any good at acting :p And did you say sociology? Don't worry about that one. It can actually get really interesting unless your prof seriously sucks. I took a Sociology class and loved it.

Nat: ok, will call you that, then :D

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    SG - nice about the papers!! Though IMO better papers than lab reports :p Also, I'm jealous of your job - that sounds cool :D

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Sil - yeah, I've done a few things with other languages. :) But this is my first time memorizing stuff in a language that is completely unrelated to my first and second languages (English/French). It's proving really difficult for me to keep all the Hindi words in the right order and with the right flow of voice, etc. I have to take Sociology to fulfill the requirements of one social science course. Along with the classes we have to take for our major, Arts students have to do one course in language, one in social science and one in science. Normally you can get all three courses done in first year, but because I'm doing a music minor along with my theatre major, I filled up all my course spots last year and left social science hanging. I took sociology in high school, so it's pretty easy for me since I'm familiar with the theories and what-not, but the way they teach it is awfully boring. It's so overgeneralized and they basically lay out the way they want you to think about sociology, rather than letting you figure out how you want to think. It's so structured that it's driving me insane, since I'm not used to structure at all. The drama and music departments encourage you to do whatever you want and see what happens (as long as it's within reason), so I'm used to a very, very different teaching style.

10. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Idri: I see. The soc class I took was fun because it was a lot of free form discussion and we got a huge lot of points for just writing out our thoughts on all sorts of social issues.

11. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm really glad I don't have any requirements other than to finish a major, take half my credits outside my major, and take one writing-intensive course. It makes things a bit easier.

This is now going to be a very interesting break... I'm working all the time in a computer lab, so I think I'll succumb to World of Warcraft and try it. Thankfully I'm too cheap to actually pay for it, I hope. And my relationship just imploded... at least it was on good terms, but it certainly isn't a nice way to return to school.

Idri, sociology sounds interesting. I'd love to take some electives, but what with this science major thing, I have no room for electives...

12. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    Question: why did my uni push all deadlines into this week???! [face_frustrated]

Answer: Because DRL is unfair! [face_not_talking]

Hope everyone else is having more fun on campus than me at the mo... so tired nowdays! [face_hypnotized] I-) Haven't slept properly in 72 hours, so damnit I'm gonna crash!

PS:
    Happy new year fellow students! :)

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sucks - it looks like I like my classes this semester, so things will hopefully be awesome.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I was overjoyed when I got my extension, mostly because I hadn't even started the work. It also made me check the other coursework that was normally due in this week and it looks like the deadline is actually tomorrow!

I still haven't finished that. :oops:

Edit: I've got an extension on it because of the weather! I have until Friday to finish it! [face_dancing]

15. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005

Congrats on the extensions! :) You're very lucky! Loads of my mates have had similiar things happen due to the weather.. so jealous!

I handed my crap in today, and did nothing but sleep! :p Soooooo good! God bless student nap time! I-) I-) I-)

But tomorrow I need to crack on with a presentation for next wk ..[face_tired] gonna be so boring!

Can't wait to get it out the way though...

I'm buying festival tickets tomorrow for the summer, that is my reward to myself for working my butt off this year... :D can't wait for sunshine, music and drinkage! Perfect finish to the year! :cool: Don't ya think?

16. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I agree, Mayo, that sounds like a good way to deal with the end of the semester.

Finally I got my grades... at this rate, I'm never going to get into grad school! And I hate working far too hard in a class and never being able to satisfy the teacher. The papers from that class may just get stuck to a dartboard and get things thrown at them. And I can't afford one of the textbooks I need for next semester. And I just broke my retainer, and all of my friends have relationship issues now.

Is this semester over yet? It hasn't even begun!

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Does your school library have a copy of it?

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I handed in my coursework today. It wasn't completely finished but it was close enough and I didn't know how to do any more to it.

I spent 40 minutes queueing up though. [face_tired] But I did meet this awesome woman and we chatted about loads of things. It was scary how much we had in common. She even joked that I was a younger version of her.

19. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    Congrats moosemousse on the coursework getting sorted. Can't believe you had to que for 40mins though! :eek: That's crazy!

I finished my essays last week and did a rubbish presentation today. But its over! So now, finally, the last semester can start and I can get to do some creative stuff at last!:D

And SithGirl132 sounds like you need have some down time already.. I know what ya mean about working hard for grades that don't show your true efforts. [face_frustrated] It sucks.

I just try my best and hope all goes well. As my mum says 'its not the end of the world' . . lol unfortunately its taken me 3yrs to listen to her advice. :oops: [face_blush] I'm more relaxed now, I just do it, but I try not to let grades affect me. Makes life less stressful that way. :)

20. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    So far my January interterm: Suddenly single (relationship implosion that we both knew was coming). Very broke due to crazy expensive textbooks. All my friends have relationship explosions with much drama. And then one of my closest friends gets hospitalized and we don't get a lot of information about the circumstances.

[face_worried] I'm actually looking forward to the semester so I'll be busy and not hanging around driving myself up a wall worrying.

21. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    *pokes head into thread cautiously*

Hi everyone... been a while since I was on the boards... I posted a rash of stories here (some worse than others) in high school, then Uni life for the past couple of years swamped me...

Vet Science does NOT leave much time/energy for ficcing. :(

The only thing going in my favor at the moment is that Uni here is Aus doesn't go back til the first week of March. But I still gotta move in that time, and do 3 wks prac work. *facepalm*

And I still have 3 essays to finish as part of my coursework. Damn.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    SG - [:D]

DreamingIce - I remember you :D And I'm glad to see you back!! :)

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Indeed, but then this is everyone who had coursework due in in the previous two weeks all queueing up at the same time, that's three years of computing students and three years of maths students. Not everyone had coursework to hand in but there's still a lot of people who did.

[:D] Hope everything works out ok.

24. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Why is this the first time I'm writing in here? Lol.
    What's up on this random Saturday on campus?

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Resting - I already feel a bit overwhelmed 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.