main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    *collapses* Running a convention is exhausting work. I've been moving chairs, running registration, being the financier, running a panel on fanfic, and then going to a shadowcast show for Repo! all in one day. I have to now hem my Imperial Officer's jacket for tomorrow and try to get more than four hours of sleep. This is crazy.

2. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Congrats on the grades, moosemousse and Idrelle! Good stuff!

I love brownies. We don't have Starbucks here - there's on in Dublin, but that's just too far to go for a brownie. *lol* Self-made ones always seem to taste better anyway!

I lived for one-and-a-half years without an oven, and the one before that was so greasy and disgusting that no one ever used it, even though it worked. Yay for student living, indeed! 8-} But, in this house, they actually look after us. We just got a brand-new oven before Christmas, which was awesome.

SithGirl, that does sound exhausting. How about some coffee and a brownie or three? Would that help? [:D]

Right, back to writing about fanfic writers. Failing that, back to writing fanfic... [face_whistling]

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [:D] SithGirl, that is indeed crazy. I agree with Iverna, you need coffee and brownies. :)

We have two Starbucks on campus, but they're never open when I want them to be. The general feeling here is "why go to Starbucks when you can have Tim Hortons?!" For the record, Tim Hortons coffee sucks (like really, really sucks -- I'm a coffee lover because of the taste, not the caffeine content, and I say it is complete hit-and-miss, leaning towards "miss" most days), even though it is so "Canadian". Bah. I'll take Starbucks before Tim Hortons any day.

... I feel like I'm betraying my Canadianess by saying that. [face_laugh] 8-}

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] There are a bunch of coffee places here, which is excellent :D AFAIK they're all pretty good, but I just drink tea :p

5. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Lol I gave up Facebook for Lent. Not because I'm Christian. I was just spending too much time on it. And then my friend (to whom I was married on facebook) called me and was like "Why did you delete your facebook? Now I'm married to nobody!"

SithGirl, I would offer you another brownie except where I go to school, it's not wise to accept brownies from strangers. People tend to add a special ingredient when they bake them. Sad but true! I've taken to eating cookies.

I love Tim Hortons!! I think it's much better than Dunkin' Donuts, which occupies an equivalent niche here in New England. And even though I don't know if you could compare Starbucks and Tim Hortons, I give the edge to Tim Hortons because the pastries at Starbucks are overpriced. I don't think you're betraying your Canadianess, Idrelle. What about all the Americans who hate McDonald's?

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    We have a Dunkin' Donuts in my hometown, but that's possibly because we're a border town. I've never one anywhere else in Canada, but I have a feeling that there's probably more than just one in the entire country. :p Anyways, I would say that Tim Hortons is the Canadian version of Dunkin' Donuts. It is by no means a coffee house. It just happens to be the place where A LOT of Canadians get their round-the-clock coffees, despite said coffee being terrible. :p Tim Hortons' doughnuts, however, are very good... within reason. :p I have one occasionally.

Our version of Starbucks, I would say, is Second Cup. They have all the great coffee, over-priced pastries and pretentiousness that goes with being a major specialty coffee retailer. :p Oh, and they also have comfy chairs. Tim Hortons lacks comfy chairs.

It's seriously all about the comfy chairs, people. ;)

For the record, my all-time favourite coffee comes from a) my uncle's extra-deluxe coffee/specialty coffee maker or b) a local coffee house in my hometown that is too cute and adorable for its own good and makes the best coffee ever. :p And yes, it has comfy chairs. ;)

7. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    ...Last night I didn't get to sleep until after 5 am, due to a blend of finishing my jacket and a good case of insomnia. But it got done, and I spent today as an Imperial admiral. It was an excellent choice, what with running a panel on Star Wars and meeting other aspiring 501st people. And a demo of lightsaber combat, using some far more logical swordfighting. Finally, a truly epic dance...

I really hate both Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons coffee- too painfully bitter and hard to do much with, but I drink far too much of Starbucks and Seattle's Best, due to what we have on campus. Today I liberated half a box of Dunkin' Donuts coffee from our consuite, out of desperate need for caffeine. With the excuse of "I'm the admiral. I can do what I want." I love conventions.

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    The shop in my estate sells Tim Horton's donuts... no telling if they're the real deal, but I've seen them in a few places now. Globalisation ftw! But I've never had one. I don't really like donuts. I know, sacrilege, but what can you do? *lol*

Our home-grown expensive coffee place is Bewley's, I guess. But honestly, I don't think coffee will ever manage to replace tea around here. It's all about the tea.

I injured my knee! It means I can't curl up on my chair properly. I never realised how much more effective study is when you can do that. Ugh. Okay, I'm done complaining now. I think if I gave up the internet for a month, I'd be way more productive than with a non-injured knee, anyway... *lol*

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sucks!! Knee injuries are NOT fun [:D]

I must be the only one who's never had Tim Horton's 8-}

Tahiri, what is your sig from?

10. Lady_Tahiri

Dec 23, 2001
    The old one or the new one? Actually they're both from the Song of Ice and Fire books. Which were my second big fandom addiction after Star Wars. Jaime is my favorite character. Yes, I'm a sucker for scoundrels. ;)

11. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I've never had Tim Horton's either, NYCitygurl!

And my knee is much better today. [:D] They figured out what's wrong with it, nothing bad. Yay!

I totally hear you on loving scoundrels, Lady_Tahiri. Scoundrels are awesome. [face_love]

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, Jaime 8-} :p My favorites are Robb and Jon, though I've only read the first book (I was going to continue, then I decided it's not worth getting super into it and then waiting five thousand years until the series is finished 8-} ). There's a discussion thread here here in SFF: Books and Comics, though - you should check it out!

Woohoo, glad I'm not the only one! :p Glad your knee's okay [:D] And feel free to call me Nat - everyone does :D

13. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I've been planning to start that series- everyone around me has been poking me and telling me to read them.

Tonight I've been horribly lazy and unproductive, probably not helped by one of my classes tomorrow getting cancelled and therefore not having to take the bus half an hour to get to a two-hour class at night. But that also means I'll put off my work for that class even more, and now with next semester's catalog up, I have to talk to my adviser about planning my senior year...

That's a very scary thought, especially since I'm going to see how far from home I can get for grad school. I'm liking the sound of England right now, after the way my family has been lately.

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Right then, Nat it is! I'm actually trying to read the George R. R. Martin books, but I've only managed the first one so far. All the minor characters who kinda-sorta had the same names really confused the hell out of me.

He's coming to an Irish convention in October or November, though. I'm really tempted to go, because he is a really good writer...

Sithgirl - good luck with that! Grad school isn't scary, I promise. I hope it works out for you!

15. Broken_Circle

Broken_Circle Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2007
    Good luck with England! I would have loved to do that, but I'm scraping around for funds to go to Washington D.C., let alone another country. Oh well - at least I'll be in proximity to the Smithsonian! Good to hear that graduate school isn't as scary as it seems. Also... mmmm, doughnuts. This thread makes me hungry for sugary things.

16. Lady_Tahiri

Dec 23, 2001
    Okay I am officially poking all of you and Force-suggesting that you go read Martin right now; or finish it as the case may be. You can pretty much ignore the minor characters on your first read-through and it will still be fun. You should definitely go to that convention Iverna! Not only is he a good writer but he has a very active fanbase and he's very generous with his time. He even dragged quite a few cast members from the HBO series with him to a book signing last time he was in Northern Ireland. And Nat, if you stopped after the first book I can't imagine what you thought of my saying that Jaime is my favorite character ... I saw your post in the Gentlemen Bastards thread which was how I knew you were a Martin fan. :p Jaime gets his own POV in Book 3 and he is made of awesome.

Eeep! But grad schools are scary. Good thing I plan to stay right here for my master's.

@BrokenCircle: *giggles at the spelling of doughnuts* I find that it actually sounds yummier when you spell it that way. Really I don't know why we Americans are lazy and have to shorten everything.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I actually have a huge fry craving right now, which is weird because I hate fries. :p

I'm hoping that I'll have enough funds to leave Ontario once I'm done my BFA. It would be so cool to study theatre in Montreal, but I also want to go to England... provided that I actually get accepted to a studio somewhere. 8-}

18. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    After spring break and last summer, I need to get away from my family, and I'd rather make a big move now when I'm not tied down. I don't care where I end up after grad school as long as it isn't New England.

And I had a meeting with my adviser that I think ended in him thinking that I'm completely crazy. In all the time I've known him, he's seen me awake, attentive, and normal less than five times. Probably because I'm taking a 9 am class with him.

I've been planning my senior year. This is really scary.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thetn I wouldn't recommend Robert Jordan :p (Actually, I still would; he's excellent, and very famous.)

I was kind of thinking this: :eek: [face_hypnotized] :confused: 8-}

:p

And Gentlemen Bastards is a great series too. Of course, 2/7 have been published, and it's taking a while . . . 8-}

You guys make me want fries AND donuts!! Maybe I should have dinner . . . :p

20. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    *dusts thread off*

Two more weeks of class and then finals week, in which I can sleep again!

I got funding for my summer projects, so now I actually do have the money to be in Montana doing geology stuff all summer! I'm very excited for this summer, even though there will be a lot of traveling and very little internet.

And all this work! Why is it that all the professors think it's fun to give us all as much work as they can assign, all at the same time? I need to sleep again here soon, and testing my physiological limit of caffeine is not a smart idea.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats!!

Yeah, no kidding - they don't seem to realize that we're getting what they're giving in EVERY CLASS.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Congrats on getting your funding, SithGirl! It sonds like it will be an awesome summer. :)

Hehehehe... I finished class on the 12th. :p As of today at 5:00, I am officially done second year. :p But then I get to worry until July as to whether I get into third year performance or not. 8-}

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Woah!! You start late and end early - I'm moving to Canada! :p I know you did well, I really do [:D]

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, we have two terms, each of with are twelve weeks of class. :p I don't know how long American university terms are, but that's the norm for Ontario. We do tend to start earlier than you, though (I think... I was in school a couple weeks before you guys were after Christmas) and I think our breaks are much shorter than American ones. :p

I could be totally wrong, of course, I don't know how uni works in the US... 8-}

I know you did well, I really do

[face_laugh] [:D] Thanks, Nat. I think I did okay... my classic monologue had a giant gap in it because I forgot my lines. My mind went blank with performance anxiety. [face_frustrated] I hope that didn't detract too much from it. My modern monologue went really well, though (of course, I've been working on it since March and it's gone through class evaluation :p ). Can't say much for my movement piece, it kind of sucked since I didn't really know what I was doing considering I haven't been trained in mime/pantomime/mask/expressive interpretation and I'm not a dancer. *shrug*

Of course, I could continue to whine about how I'm not thrilled with my performance, but whatever. I'm done second year. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Cause for celebration! [face_dancing]

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [:D]

All of us are slightly different, but we generally have two 16-week terms (at least, the schools here do) with 3 weeks of for winter, 1 week of for spring, 3 days off for Thanksgiving, and sometimes a couple days in the fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.