main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

Hello everyone!! It is finals week for me...The reason my university gets out a little bit earlier is b/c we go by trimesters. I just had a Life Science and a Human Physiology final today and I am so brain dead at the moment. Trigonometry and American Civ is up tomorrow. Then I have the lovely job of packing up my dorm room and moving back home for the summer....Whoo talk about craziness.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woah! How long is each trimester?

Good luck with exams!! [:D]

3. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    My college works on two semesters of about thirteen weeks, with a few days of fall break, a few days for Thanksgiving, two weeks of winter break, three weeks of January interterm in which we don't have to be on campus, and one week of spring break. We really wish we got a few more days off each year, as constant school all the time, especially when any normal school would have a day off for a holiday... it's weird.

I have seven more days of class left. I'm counting a bit much, due to going crazy this semester.

Taking a 9 am class with my adviser has been a bad idea. By now, he must think I'm an idiot- I'm usually half-asleep in class due to it being too early, and the class right now assumes that we've all had Calculus 2 and Physics, which most of us haven't. I still have barely any idea how to do the homework, which is already badly overdue...

4. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

Well, the fall trimester is about 15 weeks w/ 1 day off for labor day, 2 days off for fall break, and 3 days off for Thanksgiving. Finals are the last 3 days of the last week. Then we have about a month off for Christmas which then leads into the spring trimester.

Spring is 15 weeks as well w/ Spring break for a week somewhere inbetween all of those other weeks. Then after spring there is a 5 week break or you can do independent study then the summer trimester...I haven't taken summer classes yet but I may need to in order to get some more credits...we'll see, so far I'm on schedule.

The summer lasts about 10 weeks with classes off for 4th of July. Then there is about 4 weeks off then week long Freshman Orientation, then fall again....Whooo that's a lot of school. I don't what the norm is for other universities though.

Hope everyone finishes there semesters strong and has a good start of summer! :)

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow!! Yeah, we just have two 16-week semesters, with 3 weeks off for winter break, 1 for spring, and a few other days here and there, including thanksgiving. It means almost 4 months of summer, though.

6. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Our semesters are twelve weeks, with mid-term breaks and Christmas/Easter holidays, Paddy's Day, and the bank holidays off. Then there's about two weeks of exams at the end of each semester, but it doesn't mean 14 days of exams, it means whatever exams you have are spaced out over that time. We have a really long summer, too. By the looks of it, we have it pretty good. *lol*

'course it's mostly irrelevant for me this year, since I'm doing my own thing anyway. No breaks for me except the ones I take!

7. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    When I was an undergrad I had 10-week quarters, and it was awesome!! Now that I'm in grad school, I'm really, really struggling to sustain attention in one set of classes for an entire 15 week semester.

8. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    Hey all,
    I hope your past semester turned out well for you. I've been in college for two years now, and it's made me fall out of the ff community, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things this summer, so I thought I'd join this group.
    How's everyone doing?
    Cheers,
    DLPP

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Doing well!! Enjoying summer :) I'm glad you're back - I remember seeing you around :)

~Nat

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Hi DLPP! I remember you too, glad to see you back. :)

I have been out of school for quite some time now and haven't yet managed to secure a job. I've been applying to a lot of things, though, and I have some pretty high chances for some tutoring positions, a museum assistant position (which could be quite interesting :p ), and a home care worker. The pressure to get a job is getting to me a bit now, since there's a few theatre workshops I want to do but my dad won't let me do them unless I get a job. 8-}

11. darkladypurplepencil

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks, guys! I'm glad to be back!

How's college life treating your writing? I can't seem to write more than plotless vignettes.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    University likes to play games with my Muse. I haven't been able to write anything Star Wars related (bummer [face_frustrated] ), because my Muse is caught up on Shakespeare and a certain play that I love perhaps a little too much, so I've been working on a set of short stories that flesh out off-stage character relationships and whatnot. I'm a geek. :-B

I find that inspiration comes and goes during school. When I get really busy, I tend to write more, even though I have no time to do so. Writing (fanfic or original fic) can have pretty poor timing, methinks. [face_laugh]

13. darkladypurplepencil

Jan 16, 2006
    Oh, nice. I'm a theatre major myself, so I know the desire to write the tangential stories, particularly about the character I'm cast as. Which play?

Oh jeez, yeah, why is it that when everything is so crazy we just want to write more, but when there's nothing... I dunno,
    I'm between finals and my job right now, but all I can seem to want to do is watch reruns of cancelled tv shows and reread FotJ: Backlash.

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yay! Nice to know that there's another theatre major on the boards. :D

The play is Hamlet. I suppose you could say I've kind of been studying it continuously since grade twelve, in some ways, and with that in mind, it's not all that surprising that one of my top favourite plays ever is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (got to love Tom Stoppard). I hope that I'll be able to direct Hamlet some day, and also I would very much like to play Ophelia (and Gertrude when I'm older). I think they're both fascinating characters and they conceal a lot more than they reveal... it makes me sad when critics slam them.

I think writing characters that you're cast as definitely helps to get you into the right frame of mind when you're doing background work. Bah, I miss studio class right now. My home town doesn't have summer theatre, so I kind of feel like I don't have anything to do since I haven't worked on a show in a month and a half.

15. darkladypurplepencil

Jan 16, 2006
    Certainly can't go wrong with Hamlet. I do love Ophelia, I dunno about Gertrude. Maybe in theory, and I'm usually a fan of that Shakespeare archetype. Lady Mac is one of my favorite characters ever and I have this weird love-hate relationship with Cleo, but I can't get into Gertie so easily. Weird, right?

I miss the stage so bad right now as well. I've spent the past year working on film, and the time commitment's got me too slammed to do more than a class project. I've got an audition next weekend though, thank God.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It took me a while to like Gertie, I admit. I think when I first started studying the play, I found her to be so passive that I was incredibly annoyed, and then I started thinking more about how much she could actually know about what is going on and considering how much she was being manipulated by Claudius (or not, in certain cases, I suppose). I think I have at least ten different interpretations of the play; it's just so complex and reveals different things depending on how you read it. Maybe that's why I love it so much. 8-}

Can't go wrong with Lady Mac (or Lady MacSHH! as my class mates started calling her around the end of term :p ). Never really did like Cleopatra all that much, but then Anthony and Cleopatra is one of my least favourite Shakespeare plays. I dunno, I haven't studied it in class or seen a production of it, so that might have something to do with it.

That's cool that you've been working in film. :) Good for you! I haven't done a lot of film myself - probably not enough to make judgments on it, but I don't really like it as a medium. I prefer the stage over anything else, but if I get more chances to work in film, I probably won't pass it up. :)

Good luck on your audition! [:D] I'm kind of bummed that I don't have anything to even audition for right now, summer is so dead in my town, I don't know why I'm staying here. 8-} Oh right... free food and free room and board and sometimes free clothes and tickets to a lot of professional shows and concerts. :p But if I get to do the workshops I want to do, that will make up for it at least a little. And next year I'm thinking of doing Second City in Toronto, which would be pretty awesome. :)

17. darkladypurplepencil

Jan 16, 2006
    I suppose I can see that. Hamlet is definitely a complicated play that allows for varied interpretations; I guess I just never put that much thought into Gertie's interpretation.

Like I said, a love-hate relationship with Cleo. Occasionally I really do hate her character and can't find anything original about her, but I recently studied A&C in a non-theatre class, which usually I hate, but the context was in Renaissance politics, and it definitely changed the way I read A&C when I had to look at it as Shakepeare's commentary on contemporary politics.

I'm not really a huge fan of the film medium myself, but the project was just so perfect for me to pass up. Akira Kurosawa meets modern university, and my character is the holy-than-thou writer. How could I resist?!

Thanks for the luck!

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    This is a sucky summer. I won't be graduating with honours and I didn't get onto the PGCE course. :(

19. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    *pokes thread back to life*

Aaargh, two weeks until finals. I have too much homework... all the usual complaints. I should have known better than to take two humanities classes as well as doing research- there are far too many papers and loose library books in my life.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here know about finding funding for grad school? I got into grad school in the UK, but need to find a way to pay for it.

20. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I juuuuust wrapped up my last final. Hopefully I can get back to writing fic within the next few days. I've got plot bunnies stacking up that need to be dealt with properly.

21. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

Wow! Long time no see to this thread. I just started my spring semester today...16 hours, things are looking good so far. Hope everyone is having a great new year!

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I like winter break. Too bad it's ending. Oh well. I just landed a new part time internship and I'm really excited to dig into the project. The place is really close to my uni, run by two of my old professors, and only 3 mins from my apartment. Nothing like gathering data on a subject that I love and then putting my statistical skills to the test after the data arrives.

I spent a good part of this winter break in California. I love it there. I can just see and smell the freedom. Oh, and the food. I'm a foodie, a regular at my uni's food sensory lab, where they cook up different stuff for people to taste, and they got so much stuff for me to taste there.

23. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Classes just started for me today. I'm going to die this semester, considering the workload for just one of my classes. But this is my last semester, and I still have no idea what I'm going to do after graduation!

24. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Oh! This is a great place :) Hi fellow College and University students! Just three weeks to go the finals here in Germany- what am I even doing here [face_worried]...but oh well.
    Are finals in the USA or anywhere else on the world in the next weeks, too? And if they are, is anyone also trying to ignore them - like me right now- and trying to embrace the "maybe if I don't think about them they will go away strategy"? Works nearly every time [face_mischief]

25. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I tried taht last part once. Was rewarded with an F for it and never did that again. One exam down, one more to go, and two more assignments between Sil and this weekend ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.