main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Just lurking and feeling really, really old. I do Excel for a living (I'm an analyst) and the last MS certification test I took, I did pretty decent, so if you ever need help, give me a pm. I'd be glad to help if possible.

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh...that bites. I'm at home now (College aged, but stuck in the German definition of High School- what idiots make you suffer through a 13th grade?), and it's just the first week of school. And I get sick. See, I was already getting a bit of a cold- but nothing major. Then the entire school decides that they're going to go on a 3-4km hike on Friday- when it's cold and rainy and windy. After 30 min, I snuck away and went back. And got what started as a cold, morphed into the flu and then last night turned into an awful ear infection, which has now turned into an ear infection in both ears.

*sigh*

But I'm the first one who's been sick this year and I wonder if anyone will get it from me. *evil grin* Yeah, I absolutely hate my school for the most part... It would be amusing for me to watch as everyone else gets sick with what I have.

Anyway, menegitis? Nope, haven't gotten the shot. And don't plan to- I hate shots. Anything involving needles piercing my skin is something I am adamantly against, so no thank you... Plus I doubt there's a huge chance I'll be getting it here in Germany.

And you have all proved to me that I will not be staying in a dorm, but in my own apartment when I study at a University, because of that....

3. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Hey Rhonderoo, I might need your help with Excel sometime this semester as I'm taking a class on Financial Analysis using Excel.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Lurking a bit... I'm not university/collage-aged yet, but I have a lot of friends who are. It's tough, sometimes, since I haven't seen them in a while (especially people like my sister who's in her first year of university).

(College aged, but stuck in the German definition of High School- what idiots make you suffer through a 13th grade?)

Heheheh... Ontario had grade 13 until a few years ago. They had a huge double-class and then the universities got all messed up because now they had younger students coming in who weren't at the drinking age (before all university/collage students were) and there was a whole bunch of trouble...

But that's Ontario for you. We were the last province to get rid of grade 13...

I think...

5. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I believe that the kids now entering the 5th grade won't have to have suffer through the 13th grade. But seeing how I am currently in the thirteenth grade...

*rolls eyes* I just find it very pointless. Really, it's like it's all one school year, just out of four semesters and that summer was nothing more than a six week long semester break, instead of the end of one school year and the beginning of the next. Really, really annoys me. Especially since I'll be turning twenty when I graduate- and then have six years of Med school after that.

6. SlaneTransportLtd

SlaneTransportLtd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    And you have all proved to me that I will not be staying in a dorm, but in my own apartment when I study at a University, because of that....

I'm off on Sunday to University - in a dorm with 8 other people! Should be fun....

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The Moldau is an evil piece.

It torments those pure and virtuous violists who have to play the part of the river current in chromatic scales for 80% of the time!

8. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Heh, I love that piece. But it does sound like torture for the violinists. *grins*

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    No, the violinists have a melody. The violists are the ones tormented. Especially the part at St. John's Rapids, where it's this really fast scale, then arpeggio.

10. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    It may be torture, and I may be a massochist, but I still really want to play it. I'd put in the practice hours, because it's just that cool. If anyone does it as a conducting project, I may be forced to sign up.

[EDIT] (just went back and read more... :p) Trust me, I'm very good at using Star Wars as an example in topics that normally have nothing to do with it.

Me too! 10 page paper on Knights of the Old Republic for Philosophy of Film, baby! Not to mention 6 pages on Aristotle and Anakin Skywalker, 6 pages on Kant and Vergere, and 7 pages on the nature of the Force.

For the scene breakdown paper I have to write at the end of the semester, I'm going to beg to do the final lightsaber duel in RotS. The visuals in that were a-freaking-mazing, and I really want to write a paper on them.

Also, next semester is the Seminar in Contemporary Aesthetics, and I am SO COMPLETELY going to bring up KOTOR again. My prof thinks it's fascinating, so I'll just push it as far as she'll let me take it. :D

11. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Oops! Violists- not violinists. *blushes* Geez, really should have caught that one, especially since I know that piece very well- and should know that the violins are the ones with the melody!...

12. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    For the second time this semester, I have heard star war music from one of the nearby classrooms, and from a hall talent thing for a talent show. Anyone else?

13. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Pssh. I live on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy hall. We LIVE for such things here. :p

14. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    SciFi/Fantasy Hall? *grins* Sounds great. Did you accidentally get placed there, or was it pure luck?

15. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I actually applied to live here when we were setting up housing last year. And by applied, I mean I sent an e-mail to the person in charge of the hall, saying "Hey, I run around wearing Star Wars costumes, so you should let me live on your hall." And so I got in. And my roomies aren't huge Star Wars nuts (they lean more towards fantasy), but they're incredibly cool with my general geekiness.

And one of them is an avid fan fiction reader, even though she doesn't write it herself.

w00t for the nerds. :D

16. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    One of my roommates rolls her eyes whenever Star Wars/anything fantasy/sci-fi is mentioned. The other thinks it ok. My roommate freshman year was a bigger fan than I was at the time. I have now exceeded her though.
    --Wynssa

17. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    One of my roommates does like Star Wars, but the other two aren't big into sci-fi, although one did volunteer to read my fic. :)

18. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Oh, don't be scared of the dorms! I'm actually having a lot of fun living in a dorm. It's nice to have friends around at literally any time of day, and dinner plans are as easy as walking next door and saying "Hey, have you eaten yet? No? Good, let's go!"

The only bad things about the dorms are roommates who have different preferences for things like cleanliness and temperature. My roommate and I get along on almost everything - but we're currently in the midst of a silent battle over the air conditioning. She likes it HOT, and she's started saying that she's getting sick because of the cold when I keep it set on a reasonable room temperature. Meanwhile, I've had some cold symptoms lately, including a slight fever, so I'm like dying when she sets the A/C. *sigh*

And I have NOT found any gaming or sci-fi nerds yet. Well, one of my friends has Star Wars posters in her room, but that's about it. Nobody to have massive LAN parties in the dorm . . .. :(

19. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    I always tended to get sick on school holidays
    ThePariah, you and me man [edit]er...girl.(that's what I get for not checking profiles)[/edit] Every friggin' year. I could almost see the heavenly conversation:

Angel: Hey God, that guy down there's a real jerk. He goin' to Hell?
    God: Yeah.
    Angel: Alrighty then. Moving on-
    God: Wait...scratch that. I feel like screwing with him now instead.

Oh, and listen to the Banana when he's Talking: Dorms are worth the experience. For instance...
    You get to learn tolerence (Hey, we're from down the hall, mind if the two of us use your shower?...together?); make exciting new friends ("Never bother me. Ever." / "Jujitsu has taught me 22 ways to kill people!" / "I have replaced my entire water intake requirements with alcohol." / "I have replaced my entire food intake requirements with Ramen." / "I worship Satan."); become immunized for free (University Announcment: with the new ventilation system, our dorms will now be only 20% more infectious than Hospitals and Airplanes!!); and get exciting gifts! ("Look at my new room!" "Uuuuh, I don't think the white powder in those drawers is dust..." / "You invited your drunk friends over last night?" "Yeah. How'd you know?" "And I see one them had steak for dinner." "three, actually. You haven't seen the hallway yet.")

Ahhh dorm life. :cool:
    I miss it and I don't. Like divorce but without the ownership issues.

20. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I had problems with my roommate over the AC in the dorms. One day, I swear it was 70 degrees, she puts on her heavy winter coat and said she was still cold. I had other people come into the room to make sure I wasn't going crazy or something. Everyone agreed that the room was hot and she finally relented and let me turn on the AC
    --Wynssa

21. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Hey! A college fanfic club! I must agree with everyone that college life screws you over when it come to fanfiction. Three months before I even got to college it had me away from the boards. It's craziness! But anyway, I'm slowly starting to get back into the grove of things.

-Vicster

22. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    My job is what messed me up with updates, not college itself. I'l figure it out though, after this writer's block leaves. :p

23. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    My job is to spend 10 hours a week sitting in one of our art department's computer labs, so that certainly won't get in the way of fanfic action for me. My pesky homework and studying on the other hand...

24. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    My job messes with my sleep, nothing else. :p My homework is what gets my fanfiction writing time down. Like that computer architecture assignment that ate my soul for a couple of nights... not so pretty. But I'm still writing! Sometimes.

25. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    1Yodimus_Prime: [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

You, my friend, couldn't have summed it up better. :p

I once had the lovely experience of hearing how my stupid suitemates got so plastered Halloween night they were almost kidnapped and raped. :rolleyes: Then one of them took me to see the ball drop for New Year's in Times Square and we were nearly crushed to death by the crowd near Central Park. We literally got lifted about two feet off the ground and bodily carried for a few yards before the commotion settled down enough for us to escape.

*disgruntled sigh* Freshmen. [face_plain]

My first roommate (the one I actually shared my bedroom with) was an absolute <TOS violation>. She wasn't an undergrad, therefore she believed herself Ms. High-n-Mighty who had to suffer among us lowly bacteria. The first night we're there she orders me to move the furniture in our room myself. She did nothing but insult and condescend me--if she bothered to talk at all--and she made the atmosphere in our room so uncomfortable I couldn't stand to be in there. And that's the room I'm paying to work and sleep in! Thank God she left after Christmas, and was replaced by...

*cue angelic choir*

...a fellow geek who loves SW, LOTR, and Trogdor. :D [face_dancing] :cool: We stayed roommates for another year and a half, and we're still best buds.

Happy endings are teh r0x0rs. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.