main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Coloring Outside the Lines (Jariah Syn/Deliah Blue) Thanks! 10/17

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi Trace, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    Title: Coloring Outside the Lines
    Author: Jedi Trace
    Main characters: Jariah Syn, Deliah Blue
    Genre: Drama, romance
    Timeframe: Legacy comics, between Shards and Claws of the Dragon. Canon compliant. [face_devil]
    Summary: I'm a Cade/Blue fan to the bone, but did you ever notice Syn/Blue? It's there. In the background. If you look. [face_shhh]
    Notes: This could be a one-shot or a short series. Not sure yet. There's also an adult version at [link=http://swff.bpweb.net/]SWFF[/link] for anyone who's over 18 and interested.

For TNPredsFan - who said she'd eat her sock if Syn and Blue hadn't hooked up at least once before or during Legacy, and I really hate it when my friends have to ingest clothing. [face_batting]

(Title courtesy of the Sex and the City movie. ;) )

~*~*~*~

Jariah Syn was tired of Moff Calixte.

She stood in front of him, feet planted strong, pursing her red lips into a thoughtful pucker while the interrogation droid hummed in the corner. Wasn't that thing out of battery power yet? Syn glared back at the woman who was nothing to look at: pale skin, black hair and blue eyes that were as cold as Cade's.

He tried to swallow and choked instead. Couldn't think about Cade. There was blood in his mouth and he swallowed it this time without coughing.

Calixte had captured him and Deliah three days ago, demanding to know the whereabouts of Cade Skywalker. He didn't know where Cade was. Neither one of them did and they told her so. The gornt had high-tailed it off Bastion, abandoning both of them. After the first day of interrogation, Syn had sworn on his dead father's grave that he didn't know where Cade had gone and it was the truth.

This Moff shutta was relentless, though. Didn't these filthy Imps have truth serum? He knew where he could get her a vial on the black market if she'd cut him loose.

Syn shook his head and blinked, trying to clear his eyes since he couldn't move his arms, being that they were shackled to the wall.

"Why do you protect Cade?" she asked, her voice as cold as everything else about her. "You hate Jedi, Syn, and your friend lied to you. All these years, he knew you hated Jedi but he never told you what he was. And then he abandoned you. You owe him nothing."

She stepped close and reached up to touch the gash above his lip with her red manicured fingernails. "Just tell me where he is, Jariah, and this will all be over."

Blood had filled his mouth again and he spit at her, smattering that white skin with specks of red. Her eyes flared, but she didn't recoil instantly. In fact, she didn't react at all until she calmly wiped the blood from her cheek and backed away.

She had reached the door and keyed it open before she turned around. "Maybe Deliah Blue can tell me where to find Cade."

Syn's blood ran cold and his voice came out tight, "No. She doesn't know, either. Leave her alone."

Calixte cocked her head in that arrogant smirk he'd learned to dread because it usually meant that something bad was about to happen. "We'll see. I've got men with devices who will be more than willing to spend some time with a pretty girl like that."

"NO!" Syn bucked against the restraints, shredding the skin on his wrists in the process. "Don't you touch her!" But Calixte turned and left. The interrogation droid floated behind her and he was left screaming at a closed door, "Leave her alone!"

~*~

The room was black.

He'd yelled until he was hoarse and they'd turned out the lights and left him hanging in the dark. Alone with nothing but the sound of his breathing, his mind raced and he pushed the bad thoughts out by repeating over and over again that she could take care of herself, Blue could. He'd seen it. They'd been in bad spots before and she'd never lost her cool. She could be a nasty chuffer, that girl. What was the old saying? The only thin

2. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Wonderful. I love how you are filling in the missing scenes where Syn and Blue were at the mercy of the Imps and the Sith. You make it so real, so tangible, that I can almost feel the touch and emotions myself! I can't wait to see how you write up the next section!

This is outstanding, Trace. You really know these characters, and because of that, we know them too.

=D= =D=

3. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    Wow, very nice!:D I haven't gotten my hands on that particular series yet, but you write so well that it feels like I know the characters already. You make them very easy to connect to.

Fantastic job!=D=

4. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    *headdesk*

This is what happens when you get to read Legacy in the TPB. :_| Everyone's done talking about it by the time I've read it...

But this was a very nice little scene here, Trace. Fits right in... [face_whistling]

And of course, always a treat to read your work.

=D=

CJM

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I REALLY, REALLY hope this doesn't remain a one-shot. ;) Hint. Hint.

The room was black.

He'd yelled until he was hoarse and they'd turned out the lights and left him hanging in the dark. Alone with nothing but the sound of his breathing, his mind raced and he pushed the bad thoughts out by repeating over and over again that she could take care of herself, Blue could. He'd seen it. They'd been in bad spots before and she'd never lost her cool. She could be a nasty chuffer, that girl. What was the old saying? The only thing Zeltrons do better than love is fight - or something like that. She'd be okay.

She'd be okay.

She had to be okay.

=D=

If you DO decide to continue this, please put me on the PM list.

6. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Great job with these characters Trace, they seem to really jump off the screen! =D= I must admit I'm a bit of a Syn/Blue fan myself, so I enjoyed this doubly ;) You are fabulous with the Legacy characters, you can tell from your writing how much you love them all. I hope you expand this [:D]

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Somehow, I can just hear TNPredsFan saying that. LOL!

Yet again, you know I don't know these characters, but I can't resist Trace fic. hee. Seems to me (just from what I've heard) that Cade isn't appreciative of Deliah. So maybe this Jariah would be?

Great title, too! ;)

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Let's face it, Jariah's hot. Who wouldn't have a thing for him? Great story you snuck in there... I need to get back on the radar!

9. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Oh, Trace. I love this story. You rock, my friend. (I still can't believe how quickly you wrote this.) [:D] I'm also glad to know that my socks are safe for now.

Jariah doesn't get enough love around here, and I could totally be a Syn/Blue shipper if it wasn't for Cade.

You worked alot of little details from Legacy into the fic. I was struck by the way that Nyna spoke to Jariah and her referring to Cade by his first name rather than "Skywalker" as she does when she talks about him to the Imperials or the Sith. Subtle foreshadowing of the big reveal at the end of Legacy #19. :cool:

He jerked in surprise and hit his head on the wall, but she didn't stop.

Poor Syn. What's a slight concussion when you have a Zeltron plastered to you? [face_laugh]

For whatever kriffed-up reason, he felt obligated to state the obvious. "I'm not Cade."

"I know who you are, Jariah," she breathed, kissing him again - not as hard or as long, but with purpose. "I need you." Another kiss. "I want this." And another. "I want you."

That was all she had to say. His gut had gone warm from the inside out and it was his turn to tremble.

Tomorrow be damned. Tonight, she was his girl.

[face_love] [face_love]

This could be a one-shot or a short series. Not sure yet.

I can haz moar nao, plz? [face_praying]

10. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I loved it Trace. =D= Great coming from Syn's POV. Regardless of how mad he was at Skywalker he wouldn't betray him even if he knew where he went.

I've never thought of the Blue/Syn together but now maybe I will. :eek:

And of course there is Milady, I'm not one for Sith but I think her character is very interesting...much more so than Talon. Great way to end it! =D=

11. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Wow, this was really good. I can so totally see a Zeltron craving that kind of contact after suffering such abuse. It's sort of indicated in the thing that goes on between Dani and Den Siva in the last issues of the Marvel comics.

I think leaving Jariah alone with his imagination was the worst sort of torture. And to think he has such a crush on Morrigan later. If he'd known, he'd've been sick. And either he or Nyna/Morrigan would be dead. The guy holds a grudge better than any Skywalker, even Cade.

12. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Oh my....

Wow, Trace. That was just beautiful. And perfect.

I could just feel all their shades of pain and the way they help each other through it... you leave me speechless.

You know this is my ship, girl. And you rocked it!

[:D]

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Thanks, everyone! :D Just for fun, here?s a Syn/Blue photo album:

[link=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/jadedskies/Legacy%20pics/11SynBlue.jpg]Issue 11[/link] (the scene that immediately precedes this fic)

[link=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/jadedskies/Legacy%20pics/15SynBlue.jpg]Issue 15[/link]

[link=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/jadedskies/Legacy%20pics/16SynBlue2.jpg]Issue 16[/link] (my favorite ;) )

[link=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/jadedskies/Legacy%20pics/26SynBlue2.jpg]Issue 26[/link]

divapilot: Wonderful. I love how you are filling in the missing scenes where Syn and Blue were at the mercy of the Imps and the Sith.

Thank you! Between Calixte and Maladi, Syn and Blue went through a lot and I was always impressed by how they stuck it out together, in spite of their disagreements. Syn may be a ?big, bad pirate? (Morrigan?s flirty phrase ? how messed up is that?), but he?s a softie when it comes to the ladies. [face_batting]

angry_bendu1: I haven't gotten my hands on that particular series yet, but you write so well that it feels like I know the characters already. You make them very easy to connect to.

Wow, I appreciate that! If you ever get a chance to pick up the books, I can?t recommend them highly enough. Legacy comics are my favorite thing in SW right now. [face_peace]

CJM: This is what happens when you get to read Legacy in the TPB. Everyone's done talking about it by the time I've read it...

Just to give you a frame of reference, this takes place off-page between Shards and Claws of the Dragon. (After they?ve been captured by Nyna and before they get temporarily Vong-formed at the Sith temple.)

But this was a very nice little scene here, Trace. Fits right in...

Thank you! ;) [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

VaderLVR: I REALLY, REALLY hope this doesn't remain a one-shot. Hint. Hint.

I?ve got an idea for at least one more. It doesn?t want to be TFN-friendly, though, so I may have to bribe the muse. Thankies!! :D

Myriad: I must admit I'm a bit of a Syn/Blue fan myself, so I enjoyed this doubly.

:D I?m glad you liked!! Much as I love my Cadeliah, I could totally be a Syn/Blue shipper. Thank you for the kind words. You are too sweet, gal!

ginchy: LOL! Nicki cracks me up, like, all the time.

Seems to me (just from what I've heard) that Cade isn't appreciative of Deliah. So maybe this Jariah would be?

Pretty observant, there! She is waaaaaaaay good to Cade, far and above the call of girlfriend duty. I?ve been ready to smack my man upside the head more than once for taking her for granted. They?ve had a bit of a Come-to-Jesus recently, though, so we?ll see. Thank you, lady! [:D]

Rhonda: *blinks*

*does a double-take*

Rhonda! Gurl, I thought you?d forgotten how to find this forum. :p

Let's face it, Jariah's hot. Who wouldn't have a thing for him? Great story you snuck in there... I need to get back on the radar!

Yes, he is and Yes, you do. :* Thank you, girl!

Nicki: Oh, Trace. I love this story. You rock, my friend. (I still can't believe how quickly you wrote this.)

Thank you so much! Like I told you, it just kinda fell out. [face_blush] And it?s all your fault, BTW.

You worked alot of little details from Legacy into the fic. I was struck by the way that Nyna spoke to Jariah and her referring to Cade by his first name rather than "Skywalker" as she does when she talks about him to the Imperials or the Sith.

You picked up on that, eh? You?re good!

Subtle foreshadowing of the big reveal at the end of Legacy #19.

I had actually forgotten that it was Nyna who turned the interrogation droid on Syn & Blue until I went back and re-read the whole series after the nuclear bom

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    PART 2

A/N: This one takes place during Claws of the Dragon (Issue 17, specifically) and was a little harder to fit into canon. I hope it worked. [face_blush] As before, there?s an adult version at [link=http://swff.bpweb.net/]SWFF[/link] for anyone who?s over 18 and into that kind of thing.

~*~*~*~

"Syn!" Jariah looked up from the Vong bug he'd affectionately named Boss. The little beauty was his constant companion lately and he'd just used it to arrange his small army of spy and boom bugs throughout the Sith Temple.

Kee skidded around the corner. "You've got to stop her!" the young Devaronian pointed to the control room. "She's gonna blow up the whole ship!"

"Spast!" He jumped up, shoving Boss into his pocket.

Sure enough, half of the secondary comm panel was sparking and smoking and the ship's mechanic was doing nothing about it. In fact, she was yanking wires from the console, scorching her gloves and making the whole mess even worse.

"Blue!" he shouted over the crackling haze. "What the hell are you doing?"

He had almost reached her when she spun around with a murderous glare. Sithspit. Jariah knew that look. It was a bad look. He held his hands up in mock surrender and she threw a wrench at him and stormed away.

Chak went for the extinguisher, spraying down the panel and cursing in Shyriiwook phrases that Jariah had never heard before.

When the smoke finally cleared, it didn't look too bad, though. "Can you fix it, Kee?" he asked.

"Yeah, I s'pose. It'll take a couple of days..." she answered, doing a double-take at the holoplate behind them.

The object of Deliah's fury was still there: a small holoprojection of Cade, decked out in Sith garb, locked in a passionate kiss with the red Twi'lek, Darth Talon. How many times had they run into her now? That girl was bad news.

His eyes went wide.

Bad news who had just removed part of her clothes and Jariah looked away awkwardly. He wasn't no prude but there were just some things you didn't want to see your best friend doing with a girl.

"Wanna see if Spook'll let us turn that off?" Kee asked.

Jariah nodded, although he was more concerned about the Zeltron than the Imperial agent who had moved in and taken over their operation to rescue Cade from the Sith Temple.

Too late.

Deliah stomped back into the room armed with one of Cade's double-barrel blasters and pointed it directly at the holoplate. Jariah and Kee took an involuntary step back --

"STOP!" Everyone in the room froze at the sharp command. The Spook - otherwise known as Morrigan Corde, otherwise known as Cade's mother - stood in the doorway pointing directly at Deliah. "Put it down, girl."

It was a sight to behold. Corde was a striking woman who could be as formidable as she was beautiful and right now she looked damn formidable.

Deliah didn't move.

Corde approached her and Deliah lifted the barrel slightly until it was aimed directly at her chest. The older woman didn't so much as flinch as she placed herself squarely between the holoplate and Deliah's blaster.

When Corde spoke again it was with calm precision, like you'd talk to a child or someone who wasn't quite tracking on all frequencies. "Do we have another holoprojector, Blue?"

Deliah just stood there, flushing a deep shade of pink and breathing too fast.

"No, we don't have another holoprojector," Corde continued in the same exaggerated tone. "And if you blow this one up, then we can't see where Cade is. If we can't see where Cade is, then we can't get him out and away from the Sith."

The blaster dipped, just a little, and Deliah leaned to the side trying to see around Corde to the holoplate. Corde shifted too, though, continuing to block her view. Jariah could see exactly what was happening on the holoplate and no, Blue did not need to see it. Not at all.

Corde held out her hand. "Give me the gun."

Deliah's mouth twist

15. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Beautiful! I loved the emotion and the description here.

When she was spent, she turned over and looked up at him, suddenly seeming much younger than she had before. He'd never asked her age - 'bout the same as his and Cade's he guessed. Maybe not. Maybe it was the light. Drizzled with tears, she sparkled in the dim bedroom and he thought, not for the first time, that Cade didn't deserve her.

Gorgeous. It really shows how Jariah sees Blue, someone beautiful and ethereal and not nearly appreciated enough by the man whom she loves. What things might have been if she had picked the other "brother" instead...

Your connections between the characters are really great. I like how even the secondary characters are highlighted, like how Morrigan gets between Blue and the holo so Blue can't see Talon and Cade. Even Kee is very in character, and unique.

Can't wait for the the next chapter! =D=

16. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    You're rapidly turning me into a Jeriah/Deliah shipper here, Trace! [face_shame_on_you]

:D

This was even more awesome than the last... =D=

And I loved Morrigan here. :cool:

CJM

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *sneaks in*

I know you saw my post in Diva's thread... *shifty eyes* Still haven't quite made it to the comic store, though, gal! :eek:

But reading this, I just feel so darn bad for Deliah. I know the heart wants what it wants, but dang it, can't she just want this Syn guy instead? He seems... good.

Now I need to go and sneak a peek over at SWFF. [face_devil]

Hooray for the update! Great job!!

18. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Still amazing!

I love every part of this, from the way you are able to convincingly write Deliah's emotional turmoil to the way Syn can follow the erratic shifts in her female logic enough to make her feel better (well done, sir, that is almost never possible!)

I love Deliah and Corde facing off, it was written excellently.

And then there's Syn's suggestion to toss Calixte out an airlock... a great little comment.

Your attention to detail makes the whole story feel very real. I think I both laughed out loud and cried with the desire to give Deliah a big hug... Lucky for me Jariah is there to do that. ;)

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Your writing never fails to inspire me, and amaze me! You really bring these characters to vivid life.

=D=

20. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    How do you manage to continually amaze me? You used the canon framework and made this so believable.

I loved this. I can't pick out one thing that I loved more than another. Cade may start getting jealous, though, if you keep writing Blue/Syn so well. :p

Great job, Trace! [:D]

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    diva: What things might have been if she had picked the other "brother" instead...

*nods* Maybe, someday, hopefully, we?ll find out why she didn?t. *burns incense to Legacy gods for a hint of Deliah?s back story* [face_praying]

Your connections between the characters are really great. I like how even the secondary characters are highlighted, like how Morrigan gets between Blue and the holo so Blue can't see Talon and Cade. Even Kee is very in character, and unique.

Thank you so much! The Claws of the Dragon arc was where I started reading the monthly comics. Being new to the genre, it felt like a looooooooong wait between those six issues and I read and re-read the monthlies to pass the time. No, I?m not obsessed at all! [face_blush] [face_laugh]

CJM: You're rapidly turning me into a Jeriah/Deliah shipper here, Trace!

Sorry!!! I gotta write some Cade/Blue and make it up to them. [face_batting]

This was even more awesome than the last... And I loved Morrigan here.

Thank you! :D I miss Morrigan?

ginchy: I know you saw my post in Diva's thread... *shifty eyes* Still haven't quite made it to the comic store, though, gal!

*waves hand Jedi mind trick style* Your LCS misses you? [face_mischief]

But reading this, I just feel so darn bad for Deliah. I know the heart wants what it wants, but dang it, can't she just want this Syn guy instead? He seems... good.

He is a great guy. In the canon story, they have a really nice dynamic and fun friendship. If Cade/Blue doesn?t work out (*sticks tongue out at Cade?s old girlfriend who just showed up*), I?d be happy with a Syn/Blue pairing. Jariah?s gal back ?home? might not like it, though.

Thanks for reading, chica! [:D]

karebear: I love every part of this, from the way you are able to convincingly write Deliah's emotional turmoil to the way Syn can follow the erratic shifts in her female logic enough to make her feel better (well done, sir, that is almost never possible!)

[face_blush] Cade?s as dense as they get when it comes to that kind of thing so I figure one of them has to be able to make sense out of living with a girl, LOL.

I love Deliah and Corde facing off, it was written excellently.

Thank you! Have I mentioned that I miss Morrigan?

And then there's Syn's suggestion to toss Calixte out an airlock... a great little comment.

Hee! Couldn?t resist. :D

Your attention to detail makes the whole story feel very real. I think I both laughed out loud and cried with the desire to give Deliah a big hug... Lucky for me Jariah is there to do that.

Thank you very much! You?re too sweet. [:D] We all need a Jariah, don?t we?

NanaV: Your writing never fails to inspire me, and amaze me! You really bring these characters to vivid life.

You?re making me blush. [face_blush] Thank you!!

Nicki: You used the canon framework and made this so believable.

Thank you! [:D] The mental gymnastics were fun ? I?m glad it ?worked.? 8-}

I loved this. I can't pick out one thing that I loved more than another. Cade may start getting jealous, though, if you keep writing Blue/Syn so well.

[face_blush] I really gotta make it up to Cade? [face_mischief] He deserves some love after having the decency to be miserable about almost losing his girl and for putting on his big boy britches to talk it out with her. ;)

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by! @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.