main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Combat Evolved: The Halo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BISMARCK, May 21, 2002.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Well this being my opinion only. I felt Halo 4 had bad level design and a forgettable story. Well I'll say the Chief and Cortana parts were strong, but that's it.

Ever level in Halo is worth playing and I'm of the opinion that every level after the first 2 in Halo 3 are worth repeat playing.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Something I've heard elsewhere and I agree with is that, unlike the Bungie Halo games, the 343I Halo games do not have many memorable, replayable setpieces. No final runs like the Maw in CE or escape from Installation 04 part deux. No awesome vehicular runs like Outskirts and Metropolis in 2 or Coastal Highway in ODST. No glorious dogfight like the one in Long Night of Solace. All the Scarab battles in 3. I think Halo 4 only gave us two awesome moments: the vehicular battles in Infinity and the Death Star trench run in Midnight. Halo 5 only gives you one all too brief insane moment at the beginning of Mission 14. Everything else just feels too repetitive, and offering little incentive to be replayed.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lich wasn't even much of a setpiece in Reclaimer, at least not in comparison to the various Scarab battles from Halo 3. Requiem was the only real Warthog level, especially with being able to take vehicles all the way to the Cartographer, and for good reason since it is very much a redux of The Silent Cartographer.

4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
  5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I sincerely haven't given Halo 5 or the franchise in general much though in the last few months. Funny how one mediocre game can really tarnish a long love affair. :p

6. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I liked Halo 5 but it isn't as good as the others. I still play it from time to time though. If the Firefight update is good I may start playing it more.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I dunno, since the getgo Halo 5 has felt as the less Halo-ish game of all games in the franchise. Alien; that's the best description I can give it. Ever since Reach and Bungie's departure the franchise seems to have devolved into the mutant, microtransaction laden monstrosity we have today. It's hard to believe this is the TLC M$ has given to its flagship Xbox franchise.

8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    And it's for Warzone, which means I actually have a reason to play Warzone. :D

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Played a round of Grifball last night. It feels much better than its H4 version, at least. But is the new Firefight going to be incorporated into Warzone? I want the Firefight PVE, yeah, but not tarnished by annoying PVP, which is why I quickly lost interest in Warzone.

10. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    It probably will be a separate PVE mode but on the original warzone maps.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    A thought occurred to me, Warzone Firefight is practically a MOBA, or at least a multiplayer team game mode with some MOBA elements. Warzone Firefight, like Spartan Ops, is another pitiful attempt at trying to replace a cooperative PvE horde mode with a yet another online mode, this time with PvP elements.

12. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I haven't been on Halo 5 for months now. It was taking up a ton of space on the hard drive so I uninstalled it. I might play it again before Halo 6 comes out for a story refresher (though the story wasn't the best) but I have no interest in playing it at the moment because the multiplayer just isn't fun for me. Fingers crossed that Halo 6 will be much better than 5 was.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Uninstalling Halo 5 and not looking back seems to have been the sanest idea since day one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

PimpBacca likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bumping for thread merging: bringing together the Halo, ODST, H4 & H5 threads.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Life likes this.
  15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I liked the campaign of 5. I sucked ass in PvP . Only just recently in the past few months played it.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Wow, you must be open of the very rare few that liked that campaign. It's pretty much despised by the vast majority of fans. And the mp really felt off for me. I honestly haven't touched that game in years. Really hoping Infinite will rekindle the Halo flame for me and, well, everyone. Even at the almost certain cost of a new console or PC.

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I had a much worse time on 4 but that’s not really saying much cause I liked all of them.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    There were a few rough spots in 4's campaign, but overall it's a good, impactful and emotional campaign. Which was kinda ruined by 5's "resurrection" of Cortana (if we're going with the notion that that's really her instead of a rampant spike recreated by the Domain) and her heel turn there. I also prefer 4's multiplayer. Call me crazy but that was my favorite Halo multiplayer.

Grievousdude likes this.
  19. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree Halo 4's multiplayer is underrated. It's similar to Reach but has enough different weapons and abilities to give it a slightly different experience.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  21. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Though that is surprising to hear, it's not completely out there. After all, in the past when Nintendo and Sega were rivals, no-one would have ever expected Sonic to appear on Nintendo consoles. Now there's Sonic games that you can only play on Nintendo systems, so you never know with these things.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No, it isn't out there. I think several folk at MS - including Phil Spencer - have stated recently that software sales are far more important than hardware sales. Which is why they are launching the MCC to PC and Halo Infinite as well. Given that Halo has been my primary reason to own an Xbox for the past 18 or so years, that means that I might be ditching my Xbone completely within the next year or so, as the games I'm mostly interested will be available now on PC. I welcome the opportunity of finally joining the PC Master Race. :p

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But there's a difference. Sega stopped making consoles in the early 2000s, and that's when they defined themselves as strictly a software company. Microsoft is still a rival console company to Sony, isn't it? It's one thing to suggest third party multiplayer-games being cross-console; but a company "mascot" like Master Chief with Microsoft and Kratos with Sony appearing on a rival console just doesn't seem right. In the end the console "wars" are fought and won over exclusives, because the subtle differences in shared third party games like GTA V and Tomb Raider have really no effect in sales of the consoles.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    If they ever did let the Master Chief show up on anything non-Microsoft (outside of maybe something like Smash Bros.), I'd see that as a sign of desperation more than anything else. PCs aren't quite a direct competitor to the consoles and anyway all those PCs will still be running Microsoft Windows, so I wouldn't view that as competition.

Yeah, Sonic only showed up on Nintendo stuff because Sega lost the console war of that generation and bowed out of the hardware business entirely.

Actually, I'm more curious about the rumors of Xbox gamepass on Switch. Cuphead is already there, more could follow. Although not sure Nintendo quite counts as a direct competitor to the Xbox and Playstation anymore, having split off into kind of their own direction with a slightly different market.

But then Microsoft and Sony have teamed up for cloud gaming, so apparently a lot more things are possible than I expected. Either that or they're more desperate about catching up than I thought. There probably won't be anymore Halo 6 news this year at the rate they're going.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've heard that Halo 6 is a massive project. The teaser/trailer dropped at E3 didn't really get into it, but from articles I've read it appears the game could almost be the equivalent to what Final Fantasy VII Remake will be when all's said and done.