main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Combining the Eras: A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- Important Note on pg 6!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    No, don't run away Nat! The bunnies are friendly! :p (most of the time)

Actually, that was kind of a joke, the new discussion. :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I figured :p I know they can, but I've already got two stories that I need to start an an answer for your challenge to write . . . *sighs and adds another bunnies to her list* Go over there and hang out next to the Jacen/Wyn story, bunny. 8-}

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    there's a fic in classic boards that the author sort of revived (I think I'll convince her to repost it in the saga boards cause classic reminds me of a empty classroom - very few people go there anymore) where Anakin and Padme actually briefly visit the future and then they go back to their own time.

Hmm, I think it may be possible to write one where Anakin visits the time of the OT......maybe he sees Vader and freaks out cause the "Dark man was in his dreams" when he was younger.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Liz, I would be very grateful if you could get her to send me the information (as posted at the beginning of the thread) to me. The more time travel fics, the merrier! :)

Oh, and if any of you spot any time travel fics on any board (even the classic board!) please get the author to send the info to me or if you can't reach them, send it to me yourself! Thanks!

[:D]

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I remember one several years ago when the Solos and Dkywalker went back to AOTC. I'll try to find it, but it was written about 3 years ago. I think the author was RidingMyCarouselOnYou.

6. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I seriously don't need any more plot bunnies, but I'm here to stay!

Another bunny that came to me was Vader perhaps right after he turned or something, getting thrown- but only for a few minutes- into AOTC. Basically, when Anakin is speeding off to get his mother and ends up killing the Tuskens, this dark figure appears in front of him and stops him from doing that. I'd like it to be a one-shot, with just that one scene and an epilogue where Anakin doesn't kill the Tuskens and Shmi is actually saved or something.

And I'm sure I can think up many more scenarios. *sigh* Like what if ROTS Anakin appeard in ESB or something? Or Padme getting thrown into the future. Or something like that. There are just too many bunnies around...

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    That would be great if you could find it for me, Nat! :)

Jen -- I'm glad you're here to stay! That's a very interesting plot bunny you've got. I haven't seen any one-shot time travels yet.

Last night I got a plot bunny dealing with Jacen, Jaina and Anakin (before he dies) getting thrown back to KOTOR -- even though I don't really know too much about KOTOR! Maybe I just want to see a time travel fic taking place in that specific era.

---

The Saga part of the Index has been updated.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    The time has come for a new topic for discussion.

Discussion Two: How Do You Avoid Inserting Your Characters into an Already Existing Storyline?

Many, many time travel fics take characters from one era and place them into the significant events of another. For example: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan travel into the future during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Luke and Leia travel back to TPM, Anakin Solo is catapulted into ROTJ. How do you avoid or (if you are not currenly an author of a time travel fic) how would you avoid just inserting the characters into the storyline?

EDIT -- My wandering mind makes up stupid, confusing topics. I'll come up with a better one when I get back from my trip. Just ignore this example of how odd and stupid I can sometimes be. :p

9. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    It seems the most ways to get into time travel is through a space ship. Can they pop up in a different ship or do they have to stay in their own? Also can they see themselves?

I know this was two topics ago but i still have to ask it.

10. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Erm, I feel lame, but I don't understand the topic. Do you mean what the reason is for having them there, or if there is no reason, or what?

Shawa, I think that's up to you. Pretty much anything goes in Time Travel, as long as you are prepared to explain it.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Erm, I feel lame, but I don't understand the topic. Do you mean what the reason is for having them there, or if there is no reason, or what?

Heh. Don't feel lame, Jen. Sometimes I just don't make any sense at all. My mind kind of froze when I was thinking of a new topic. I'll try to clarify. What I mean is (thinks of a way to explain it without confusing anyone any more) sometimes you just place the characters from another era into an event and they don't really do anything but talk to the characters of the event they went to and they don't really change anything. How do you avoid doing that?

*hopes it makes sense now*

12. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Ah...

Well you give them a reason for being there in the first place. Or you make it so that they don't want to change something, but they end up accidentally changing something anyway. But really, I think if there is a purpose to the time travel, then you shouldn't have any problems with it. Without a purpose, then you have all these questions that need answering, so that you don't get in such a situation...

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    hmmm, well in my time travel idea, Leia is wishing she and Luke had known their father as the JEDI he was before he was consumed by Darth Vader. And this light blinds them sending them back in time (its become too cliché for "back in time" so I may even do a forward in time one eventually.......maybe one where Padmé goes forward in time to see Luke being hurt by Vader........who is Anakin.......and she'll then make the decision somehow to NOT to go Mustafar.......

I think most time travel stories usually have the characters being there to witness something or to *possibly* change something.

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    The Index has been updated with "The Morning Will Come" by U_KnOwWhoO and I've added a "status" selection to the fics that are already indexed.

And as always, if you know of any other time travel fics, please notify me. :)

The last discussion (number 2) is gone. Stupid topic because I was having a stupid moment. There. Now you can laugh at me. :p

15. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Heh.

I guess we need a new discussion topic, then?

What about: The mechanics of going Forwards in time? Since most time travel fics have characters go backwards, we could discuss what it is like to have them go forwards.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Great idea, Alethia! [:D]

I always wanted to write a time travel fic where Obi-Wan and Anakin go into the far future and things are set out the way they are in Slayer. Anakin would go nuts.

It would be more of a shock for characters to go forwards in time because things have progressed. For one, they don't know the past between where they started and where they went to and all the technology has changed so the characters who go forwards in time would make extremely embarrasing mistakes and be taken as complete fools because they don't know how to... say, work an X-Wing (if they are a pilot from PT for before). And it would become a dangerous thing for the characters to find out what happened to them and how they died, unless, of course, you write it so the records ust say that they mysteriously disappeared or something.

17. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    *bangs head* And now I have another plot bunny. Thank you very much! *sigh* Now I have ten bunnies...

But yes, I believe you are right. Another reason I believe is that 'the future is always in motion' as some wise Jedi says- Yoda? Or Ben? (Can't remember- been way too long since I've seen the OT). How can you go to the future, when it is constantly changing? The past is, well, the past. It has happened and it will always be the same (unless you intentionally change it, but let's not go there). but the future has endless possibilities. Which is one reason it is hard to travel there. YOu would not be travelling to the exact future, but a possible one.

And now another bunny has been added onto the bunny above. *sigh* I love this thread, but I will admit the plot bunnies are murder...

18. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005

I know of a couple, should I post the links here or PM them to you?

~KT

19. Ob-wan-shawa

Mar 10, 2005
    Alethia- What do you mean?

20. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Oh!!! Fantastic, I am so glad you started this index. I absolutely love SW time-travel stories. In fact, I've got one in the works...I'll PM you on that one soon.

ohhhhh, now I have more stories to read!

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Another reason I believe is that 'the future is always in motion' as some wise Jedi says- Yoda? Or Ben? (Can't remember- been way too long since I've seen the OT).

It was Yoda -- "Difficult to see. Always in motion the future is." ESB, when talking to Luke about rescuing Han and Leia.

And he is right. Just the smallest thing could change everything.

The past is, well, the past. It has happened and it will always be the same (unless you intentionally change it, but let's not go there). Hmm, that could be our next discussion!

but the future has endless possibilities. Which is one reason it is hard to travel there. YOu would not be travelling to the exact future, but a possible one.

Exactly. Uh oh... now I have another plot bunny! Yikes, they do multiply like crazy in this thread!

Ob-wan-shawa -- I think what Alethia means is that it's impossible to travel into the absolute future because everything is changing all the time. Nothing is certain. One decision when made in a certain place and at a certain time could change the galaxy from one destiny or another. That's why you could only travel into a possible future. Now I have a plot bunny for that -- sending someone (possibly from the PT) into the far future and then sending them back again and next time they go into the future, it's completely different. ::carefully records bunny and puts it away::

KT -- send the links to me as well as filling out the information in the first post. :)

kateydidnt -- Thanks for letting me know! Please fill out the information in the first post of the thread before sending it to me!

22. Ob-wan-shawa

Mar 10, 2005
    Uh Idrelle_Miocovani, thats cool and all but what does that have to do with my question?

23. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    What question are you referring to, Ob-wan-shawa?

This one?

It seems the most ways to get into time travel is through a space ship. Can they pop up in a different ship or do they have to stay in their own? Also can they see themselves?

24. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    I'm sorry. But I'm not really sure how to answer that. For the spaceship, I think it's logical that they would stay in the same one. I'm not exactly sure how changing time would mean that they change spaceships.

As for meeting their other selves...I believe it's up to you. If you decide for it to matter, then it does. If you say that they cannot meet themselves in any circumstance, then that's the way it is.

Time Travel is such an open topic that you can basically do what you want with it.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_blush] Sorry. Guess I didn't understand what exactly you meant when you said "what do you mean". Sorry!

--

The Index has been updated again with three fics (thank you KT (not Killik_Twilight, the other KT) and kateydidnt [:D]. The Before the Saga finally has an entry! :D

Oh and this is a message from the index -- since I'm likely not going to have internet access for the next two weeks, you can still PM me any time travel stories you find, it will just be a while before I can update the index. And feel free to chat about time travel and plot bunnies (hehehe, yes, the evil bunnies) and the current discussion as much as you want while I'm away. Enjoy yourselves! [:D] to all of you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.