main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Combining the Eras: A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- Important Note on pg 6!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Thanks for the answers, i think I'm ready to wite mine.
    Oh actully anohter question.
    The days weeks years whatever that they are in the past\future, does the time go on in the time they came from. Or does it pause. Or is it up to the authrors choice.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    It's really up to the author. Time travel is so open -- you can do anything you want with it. It doesn't even have to make sense -- except, it's usually a good thing to have it make sense in the end, unless it's some crazy parody or something. 8-} :D

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    The index has been updated, again. ::a little dance::

Many thanks to kateydidnt who has been PMing me so many nice little additions to the index! [:D] :D

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Although I really dislike posting three times in a row in my own thread (posting three times in a row at all), I'm trying to get discussion moving again!

Discussion Three: What Draws You to Time Travel the Most/ Why Do You Enjoy Reading/Writing Time Travel Fics?

5. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    Discussion Three: What Draws You to Time Travel the Most/ Why Do You Enjoy Reading/Writing Time Travel Fics?

I just really love the concept, it is so intriguing. It is cool to see how the characters deal with being in the new time and whether or not to reveal that they are from a different time period.

I also like that characters that might not have been able to meet in a non time travel story sometimes get that opportunity. :D

The thing I most look forward to reading in a Time Travel story is when it is revealed that they are from a different time and how everyone deals with it. I love seeing different characters reactions to this revelation.

~KT

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think partly what draws me to them is that they are the ultimate 'fish out of water' scenario, especially when it's the future in the past, because they have the additional challenge of not revealing anything that could potentially change something no matter how huge or small and possibly wipe out themselves and their timeline.

I think it's interesting to see characters adapt to new situations that their not comfortable with or unfamilar with and time travel is the ultimate adaptation situation. That's partly why I'm drawn to them.

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I love time travel stories because of the interaction between characters that would normally never meet or would meet on different terms. Something I've always especially loved is the idea of Luke getting to see his father the way we saw him in the PT - a young, handsome man, a powerful Jedi Knight. Luke never got to see Anakin that way. He never got to learn why Obi-Wan spoke of the Old Republic and his old apprentice with such fondness and reverance. He never had the opportunity to see his mother... :(

8. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Wowzee! I struck gold! I'm such a sucker for time travel. Last night I cheated. Instead of writing another post which I have been promising my reader since two weeks I read 'Sanctuary of Time' and got blown away. And I couldn't stop till I finished at 5 am.

Great index, I'll be visiting often-when the readers aren't looking.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    ^^^^

That's great, sabrelight! Welcome to our little (but hopefully it will grow) domain! :D

---

I am drawn to time travel for many different reasons. First, as a writer, I love to manipulate characters. It's way too much fun and time travel gives the perfect opportunity for things to get extremely complex when it comes to sorting out things like "whoa -- I just met my dad and he's younger than me!"

As a reader and a writer, I love all the complex and fascinating theories that one must elaborate on when writing time travel. That gives me a chance to exercize my mind and I love coming up with theories! Then of course, I love reading other authors' theories for time travel.

One more; I love all the different things that you can do with time travel. You can give a character a new life, you can give a character a new meaning you can completely change them if they go back in time and meet someone that was important to their family. There's so many different things that you can do with time travel and it's so fascinating.

Time is mysertious. It's a wonderful thing to work with as an author.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    :rolleyes:

One is sad at the lack of participation. If anyone has any ideas for new discussions or challengs or whatnot, please PM me. Let's keep things moving in here! :D

[edit] -- One thing I forgot: odj_310388, an artist from the art forum, was a very nice person and created a time travel logo for our small group here. Anyone else who feels like making art to support the time travel index, please PM me!

odj_310388's art:

[image=http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1025/thing11yy.jpg]

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    As a student of the 'Butterfly Effect' as it pertains to temporal matters, and not necessarily the hurricane/ Chaos Theory angle, I think it very dangerous to introduce time travel to the Star Wars universe, since its usage has great ramifications for everything coming after it.
    For instance, a character goes a thousand years into the past, gets into combat and returns without her blaster because it got lost in a rain forest somewhere, she could return to the future to find that blaster technology was discovered too early, and the timeline has changed.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    You have a very good point, Sith-I-5. It is something that I think time travel authors must deal with if they have their characters go back to their proper time. At the moment, for my particular fic, I am changing something extremely big and I have spent weeks planning out the end just so I can tie up all the details and especially those about what the changes have done to the galaxy.

Of course, I have several routes available... [face_devil]

13. KTfanfic

KTfanfic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 16, 2005
    Yes, you do have to give it some thought. Trying to change practically anything in the Star Wars character?s lives could probably cause the universe to be very different. I know when I play around with time travel and AU stories I try and figure out what has changed/is changing and what effect will it have on the future.

I guess because there is so much potential for change, I am fascinated with these types of stories. You never know what you may find. :D

What is the hurricane/ Chaos Theory angle? I?ve heard of the Butterfly Effect, but I don't think I?ve heard that term before.

~KT

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    All right, I think it's time for a new topic. Anyone? Suggestions are more than welcome! :D

15. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Have you guys noticed that RotS is the most popular time period to time travel to?
    Not that I can blame authors, it's one of the big turning points in Star Wars history.
    I think it would be fun for a change to have someone end up right after A New Hope, even if they were intending on going someplace else. Time travel being a tricky businesss, none of the first time goers would get it right on the first try I would think ;0 I mean they aren't experts or anything.
    OOOH. Plot bunny!

'Jaina looks around the cargo bay, identifying a man who looked a lot like her uncle Luke only younger. So this must be her Grandfather. She chokes up.
    "Leia!" Her grandfather said hugging a woman who looked like herself.
    "I knew there was more to you than money!"

Crap. Jaina thought from the sidelines. I don't think that's grandpa, and I don't think this is the Old republic."

Teee hee.

16. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I love it when people see their relatives, sons or fathers. It's sooo funny.

17. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I m not sure what exactly I like so much about time travel stories, but I love GFFA time travel stories, but in other genres (such as HP) I am not so drawn to them. I have a time travel story that is in the works (actually the first few chapters are already posted, it just isn't time travel yet, but the catch with that story is that the time travel changes nothing it infact just completes a circle that had already happened.

speaking of which, I really need to update that story considering I need to finish that one so I can get on to my epic that our lovely Idrelle has agreed to beta for me.

18. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Oh THAT fic. :( That Ish(no doubt) inspired fic that scares/scars me before I've even read it.

Which I definately will.

Star Wars has more that went wrong. Or rather, you feel sorry for Anakin Skywalker despite all the very bad things he's done(Stupid Anakin! Everybody knows you Don't trust Sith!)
    But I don't think ANYONE feels bad for Voldemort killing all those people. He's not sympathetic.
    When a decision was a mistake or the person did it to try and help someone you WANT them to be able to make up for it. Live without regrets. Voldemort and Sauron don't regret their murders.

Hmm Voldemort and Vadar.. V is so... evil. :I

19. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    No. I said it was a story that was already posted. I'm talking about The Powers that Be-which just hasn't gotten to the time travel part yet.

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Eowyn: Have you guys noticed that RotS is the most popular time period to time travel to?

Yes. :D Since I'm writing one that goes to ROTS... and it's lots of fun! :p

'Jaina looks around the cargo bay, identifying a man who looked a lot like her uncle Luke only younger. So this must be her Grandfather. She chokes up.
    "Leia!" Her grandfather said hugging a woman who looked like herself.
    "I knew there was more to you than money!"

Crap. Jaina thought from the sidelines. I don't think that's grandpa, and I don't think this is the Old republic."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

LOL!

Ob-wan-shawa: I love it when people see their relatives, sons or fathers. It's sooo funny.

::grins:: Yeah, I agree with that. I had a hilarious time writing one scene for TTA when Jaina first sees Anakin... For some reason having her come skidding to a halt with him on the other side of a ray shield was extremely funny at the time.

Eowyn (again): But I don't think ANYONE feels bad for Voldemort killing all those people. He's not sympathetic.
    When a decision was a mistake or the person did it to try and help someone you WANT them to be able to make up for it. Live without regrets. Voldemort and Sauron don't regret their murders.

Hmm Voldemort and Vadar.. V is so... evil. :I

Hmm, yes... what's with V being evil? Interesting...

And a long time ago in the days of when I was in grade five, my novel's villain's name was Valmor... note the "V".

:p

Speaking of which, for TTA I have a very evil villain who enjoys very much manipulating people who is NOT Palpatine... and his name does not start with a V. But I'm not going to tell you. :p

---

All right, here's something to muse about...

Do you prefer it when the characters know that they are time travelling or when they don't know that they've time travelled at all?

I dunno which one I like best... :D

21. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    [face_whistling]
    I don't know.

Do you mean the people in the past or the time traveler knowing they have changed times?

I think someone besides the reader should be aware that time has changed. Maybe thats why you don't see too many time travel stories that where someone goes back a week in the past. :p It's the big changes that are fun.

The big reveal is very fun.

Do you think that a time traveler can not go back to a time where they were alive because of the paradox problem?

Or at least seven years gap- because every seven years your cells completely change/are replaced.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Do you think that a time traveler can not go back to a time where they were alive because of the paradox problem?

Or at least seven years gap- because every seven years your cells completely change/are replaced.

That's one of the problems in TTA -- for my time travel rules, if a paradox occurs, the entire universe could be ripped apart. Fun stuff, eh? That's why it had to be Jaina and Kyp who went back and not Luke, Mara, Han and Leia.

Of course, they have to be careful. They can't spend too much time there or else Kyp will be born while they're still there. Oh lovely complicated problems!

23. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    I like writing time travel stories where you don't know time travel has taken place for a while. With just as much knowledge as the normal time peroid people.
    I think it's safe to say here,(since people would have had to read this to figure it out so far) I'm writing a time travel story and Kyp found his way in without my permission! And what is it with Jaina? She's time traveling queen or something.

Anyhoo- how do you solve your Kyp problem? They have to leave before he's born, right? Do they have to die and become part of the force then? Forced suicide? Would you even have the 'force with you' if you time travel? Something's gotta give.
    They really can't go back to the future(no pun intended) because the new Jaina and Kyp are there the ones who had a better life. Once you time travel you don't belong anywhere anymore. The people they left behind won't be there if they change things. The post NJO Luke and Leia will find the time travelers to be imposters and they would already exist there anyway.

Tricksy thing time travel.
    Do you have the time traveler tell safe people who they are, or that they are time travelors? I mean how would you prove that you're a safe person unless you tell? Would people believe you?

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I think it's safe to say here,(since people would have had to read this to figure it out so far) I'm writing a time travel story and Kyp found his way in without my permission! LOL! Have you posted it yet?

And what is it with Jaina? She's time traveling queen or something.

Yes, it does seem to be that way.

how do you solve your Kyp problem? They have to leave before he's born, right? Do they have to die and become part of the force then? Forced suicide? Would you even have the 'force with you' if you time travel? Something's gotta give.

I'm keeping it a secret about what they're going to end up doing. Hehehehe. [face_devil] But I assure you that they'll get out of their problem because my readers would kill me if I blew up the Galaxy at the end of TTA.

Do you have the time traveler tell safe people who they are, or that they are time travelors? I mean how would you prove that you're a safe person unless you tell? Would people believe you?

That's the problem that Kyp and Jaina have to deal with right now since the Jedi Council thinks that there's the possibility that they could be Sith in disguise. Eventually they'll have to tell the truth, but when they do people will believe them. The first person who will know will be... Yoda.

25. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    How kind of you not to blow up the universe! ;) PM me when you update it! Yoda is quite the perceptive green muppet.

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22048583&brd=10477&start=22144877(Give me Liberty or Give me Death) is the story. The time travel isn't too blatent yet unless you've read NJO. I like the evil mystery-ness. And the idea of more than one trip back. Poor Kyp, he's the only YJK era person that could leave it without too much protest. (Zekaya is not an Original Character)If you're bored and need something to read... [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.