main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Combining the Eras: A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- Important Note on pg 6!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Okay, just found this thread. Could this be an any better idea. I love time travel stories. One of the main reasons I do(among many others) is the diversity of things, characters or events the author could take and just remold completely. Its the pefect sand box in the ST fanfiction world.

I'd have to say my favorite kind of time traveling would have to be from the past to the future (not many stories about that, I know). I just love the idea of a past dweler to see what will, or could, become of his world during the gap he/she/they traveled. Imagine, AotC's Obi-wan gose by some freak accident to the ANH era. He discovers Palpatine's dirty little secret, finds out Anakin and Padme were married and have children, and sees how Anakin turned to the dark side, he gets a glimpse of how he'll look in 20 years...ect. (Just one of the plot bunnies reading this thread gave me, more where that came from, that I just had to get out of my system.)

Well, I'd love to stick around. Am I welcome amongst you?

2. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Of course you're welcome, more the merrier.

Travel forward is weird for me, "Always in motion the future is."
    If Obi-wan did that time travel would it be a future where Obi-wan had disapeered during those years?

3. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Well, not really. I'd love to see an old Obi-wan meets young Obi-wan scene. I think it be kinda funny yet bitter sweet a the same time.

Once I read somewhere that if one timetravels to the past or future that act alone will change the course of everything, and in some way make the two time periods completly independent from the other. So nothing that the timetraveler does in the new time period to alter history will affect his own time in any way. But i'm not really sure about that. How about you guys? I don't really understood what i read entirely. Does it mean the two time periods become diferent dimensions or something?[face_thinking]

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Welcome Dahlia_Santary! [:D]

You've brought an interesting idea with you! :D

Once I read somewhere that if one timetravels to the past or future that act alone will change the course of everything, and in some way make the two time periods completly independent from the other. So nothing that the timetraveler does in the new time period to alter history will affect his own time in any way. But i'm not really sure about that. How about you guys? I don't really understood what i read entirely. Does it mean the two time periods become diferent dimensions or something?

I think that, going by that theory (*wonders if her friend Gordon came up with it* :p), they would become different dimensions, but they'd still be connected by the person who's doing the time traveling... he wouldn't change anything for his past/future, but...

Oh dear, this is something that will require better in depth thinking, something that's not well done when one is sick!

What are your thoughts, SoE?

5. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    You're sick Idrelle? :(

Time travel is full to the brim with contridictions. I think as long as you make it clear what your rules of time travel are, and stick to them, you're fine.
    I think that the future would change, unless the force knew he was going to do that and that's how the future got that way. [face_thinking] Unless it's a humor fic wherein you can get away with anything silly.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I think as long as you make it clear what your rules of time travel are, and stick to them, you're fine.

That's true. Define your boundaries -- whether paradoxes are allowed, etc -- and go with them. But make sure your rules are understandable and when explaining them, try not to make it a lesson in timecraftology or something. :p I think I made that mistake. But I'm having my characters not know everything about time travel and so they're still learning. :)

nless it's a humor fic wherein you can get away with anything silly.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That's so true!

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Just dusting off the cobwebs and trying to spark some discussion. :)

One of the methods of time travel that I haven't seen to often in SW fan fic are time machines. What type of time machine would you have in the GFFA? What would the extent of it's time travel be? Would it be anything like other time travel machines that we know of? (Yes, I do realize that I'm a little hyped for season two of Doctor Who, give me a break, I know. I'll try not to mention the time travling police box too often :p).

8. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Mine would be a speeder that had to get up to 88 kpm. ;)

no, actually, in my story that I still have yet to send you the info for, it is a botched Sith Force ritual that causes a rift in time and not really a Time Machine. Actually I like Force-based explanations better than time machine ones mostly.

Perhaps I could sling-shot the Death Star around a sun?

9. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    LOL I love those movies!

Um. ::looks around:: I am using a time machine of sorts.

Imagine ships that don't exactly use hyperspace, another kind of intergalatic drive is used, it would take forever to get anywhere(think Ender's Game series), so some geeky engineer is asked create something to compensate for that. Think of all the scientists that tell you that even if you did go really fast and reach planet X, and hurried back to Earth, 100 odd years would have passed. In a universe with regular hyperdrives that's a problem.
    In normal use the time travel device isn't even noticed in GFFA, it simply folds space so you arrive at your destination around when people would expect a hyperdrive to get you there. (I've always wondered if hyperdrives already have them)

However insert dumb or geeky person 'Doc' type who realizes, huh, maybe if I could get that system to overcompensate it would take be back further than the expected time, or not work as much and send me to that planets future.

In my mind the ship would the magnetic field of a planet to function, and that would be the Between place.

[face_shhh]

10. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    this is a fascinating thread. I think I have more unrealized time travel plot bunnies than anything else (except maybe crossovers).

I will definately have to check out some more of these stories when i get the chance. :D

i'll have to think about what type of time travel machine's could be used in Star Wars. (it's not like ST where time travel is such and integral part of canon...)

hmmmm....Maybe an ancient machine discovered at an archeological site... maybe buried somewhere deep down on Coruscaunt...

*i may just have to try and write something like that someday*

jcs

11. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    This might have been said before, but...

I learned about a new time travel theory from my new astronomy magazine. Scientists say that the faster you move through space, the slower time travels. You would have to move at the speed of light to really make a difference. I guess that throws a monkey wrench in hyperspace travel or warpspeed because with both, the people on the ship would technically age slower than those on planets... Anyway... Another way to travel into the future would be a source of intense gravity such as a supermassive black hole. A stellar black hole (smaller, more dense) would tear a ship apart if it got too close, but a supermassive black hole (those found at the center of most galaxies) is large enough that the density and gravity are less and therefore a ship could theoretically withstand it. If a person were to go to the 'event horizon' of a black hole, the point before matter gets sucked into nothingness, scientists speculate that a person would see time stop and the universe stand still. Then when they leave the event horizon, they will be in the future because time was still going on while they were in limbo.

Does that make sense? It makes sense to me, but then I'm an astronomy geek... :-B

According to the Star Wars Guide, there's a black hole at the center of the SW galaxy. So if you're searching for a way for your characters to travel into the future, a creative version of this theory might create a more realistic way to do it. :)

*watches plot bunnies hop away* [face_devil]

12. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    ^ That was the theory I was trying to explain to use my SW time travel, but said much better.

Astronomy geeks are cool. ^_^ ::joins club::

13. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Which is how Dylan Hunt ends up 300 years in the future in the Andromeda TV series...

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Does that make sense?

HARRY: How does that make sense? It's completely mental.

:p

Interesting, nonetheless. :D

15. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    HARRY: How does that make sense? It's completely mental.

[face_laugh] That's what I thought, but those ideas were published in the most recent issue of the official Astronomy magazine. No joke. :) This just goes to show that scientists have too much time to think... :p

16. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Why do I have the feeling that 3/4 of all theoretical physics is made up on the spot? You know, a bunch of physics grads get together on a friday night and know they have to publish a paper on monday-- so they make stuff up and throw a bunch of made up science-y terms... I mean who is going to contradict them? How many people are going to try out that black hole theory that would probably kill them and be very expensive/time consuming?

I want a degree a B.S degree! :p

"If you go into the core of a gaseous planet and come out the otherside when it's sun goes supernova time will slow and you'll be sent into the past."

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    ^^^

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

LOL!

Just cleaning out the cobwebs. Any discussion ideas are most welcome.

The index has been updated with one fic from [b]light-[/b].

18. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    I don't have any new discussion ideas, but on the SW time machine front. I wrote a fic once where I guess you could say that there was a time machine.

Honestly, I wrote this fic about four years ago, so I don't remember the exact details, but it was some kind of Yuuzhan Vong creature that had been injured in an explosion and there was something about gravity...Yeah, don't ask. I'm not sure it made sense at the time either. But anyway...:p

19. jaina_clan_solo

Dec 14, 2005
    I love time-travel fics, partly for the possibility of changing things for the better, and partly for the pure zaniness that can ensue.

I once started a fic that had jaina, jacen, etc. traveling to a pre-Hoth saga era. Maybe i'll try writing it again someday.

hmm, discussions? Oh, I don't know, i think that my mind is fried from working all day... But I do have a question for people.

Do you prefer a serious time-travel fic, where there is something at stake; or do you like a pure for laughs, throw characters together for the hell of it?

Personally I like both, I think i'm better off writing the second. (even if I have a hard time writing humor).

jcs

20. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    The time travel fic that I wrote was less serious and I think generally I like those better. However, there are some very serious time travel fics that I've read that are so cool. I love the tension and the action and it doesn't seem cheesy. So, really it just depends on the story for me. :)

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    The time travel fic I'm writing is deffinately serious and I hope is not cheesy in anyway ( :p).

I like both funny and serious time travel fics. The humor ones usually give me quite a laugh... especially when it comes to reactions between... say, Anakin and Luke. :p

22. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    [face_money_eyes] You should write that story again, and/or post the link to the start of it. Sounds like fun. :D

I like both types of fics.

23. jaina_clan_solo

Dec 14, 2005
    It would definately have to be a restart on the story... I started it years ago, but didn't post it anywhere. Then when I moved out of my mom's house... I didn't transfer any of my stories and I don't know if any of them are still on her computer :_|

Thanks for the encouragement though... i may try it again at some point

jcs

24. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    I hate it when that happens.

PM me if you ever do post it. [face_money_eyes]

Twins AND Time Travel in a story?![face_love]

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi,

The Story Joiner that I'm working on involves some AU characters travelling to the era of the Swarm War due to a hyperdrive accident caused by sabotage. The AU progresses slower than the normal canon universe in which the fic takes place (As far as they are concerned, ESB is in full swing!), so the victims is actually transported across both Time AND Dimension. So I guess it qualifies somewhat as a Time Travelling story.

If someone would add that to the master list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S.
    It belongs in the Beyond the Saga category

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.