main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Combining the Eras V 2.0 A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- New Discussion!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TimeTravelIndex, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Yeah but after ANH he knows that Anakin is Luke's father and a Jedi, and he's pretty sure that Palpatine's a bad person. Let's just say in a variation of a plot bunny Ish adopted and turned into a fantastic epic with what's looks to be an even more fantastic sequel, that Han had been sent to assinate Vader and/or Palpatine. Now I don't think very many people give Han enough credit for his intelligence. He had to have some above average level of intellegence to be admitted into the Imperial navy for fate's sake. Maybe if he overhears a conversation between Anakin and Palps, he starts putting things together. Now where he goes from there after he figures out Anakin = Vader is anyone's guess, but I think that he would have figured out Anakin + Palps = at least Danger in some way shape or form.

2. TimeTravelIndex

TimeTravelIndex Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2006
    All right, new discussion for you all. :)

There are many time travel stories out there, and many of them have many devoted readers. So... why do you read time travel stories? What is your favourite aspect of time travel fics? What draws you to them?

3. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    There are many time travel stories out there, and many of them have many devoted readers.

So... why do you read time travel stories?

I don?t know, I guess it?s because of the questions surrounds Timetravel, like why were they sent back/forth in time in the first place (sometimes they know why and sometimes they don?t), why them (unless it?s like Luke and Leia going back in time to save Anakin from the dark side because that?s kind of obvious why it?s them, although, it would be fun to see like Han being sent back to save Anakin and so on), how will they feel for example in the past and how would the once there feel about them (like if they find out who they were right away or if they find out later), reactions? Thoughts? And so on, it?s all important and if you manage to do that in a good way then you?ll have a great timetravel fic, actually, every timetravel fic I?ve read is like that.

What is your favourite aspect of time travel fics?

I like it when everything isn?t to easy, like if they goes backward in time, save Anakin from the darkside and then they live happily ever after, it?s not a very fun story to read. CrazyAni?s ?Change of Fate? is an excellent example of that, it?s also a great example of what I said for the first question, it?s an amazing fic.

What draws you to them?

I think that it?s a mix of both of the first two questions.

Also, I have to admit that I?m someone who can read everything, timetravel fics, crossover fics, drama, horror, romance, humor, I don?t have one specific something that I read and if there ever I then I read it just because I can always learn something new which helps me as an author and who knows, maybe I start to like it, I usually do.

-----

Well, this is what I could think of right now, I might come back and add things later.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I read time travel out of the hope that something will change and that some things will not.

Let me illustrate:

In the Pink 5 series, the writers pride themselves on having their character present in the situations of the movies and moving the plot forward, usually inadvertently, but not having it be something that will change the meaning of the scene.

I think well-done time travel stories can do that.

5. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Why do you read time travel stories?

Never ask me to pick apart why I love something. It gets messy. :p But seriously, I'm not really sure why I read time travel stories. In all honesty, I haven't lately. *ducks* I haven't had time. I guess I like them because they're different; they put characters in new situations (at least in comparison to canon) and it's always interesting to see how they handle it. The setup, by it's very essence, is ripe for angst [face_love] ...or humor...or both. ;)

The fish out of water feeling that the time traveling character usually experiences. And it's neat when they run into people they never knew but are connected to. (Like Luke meeting his mother or Shmi, or even his father as a young man.) And what if they run into themselves?? :eek:

What draws you to them?

As I stated above, just all the unique situations the characters could potentially find themselves in. I love it when the main character learns a lesson by meeting people and experiencing life in another time, whether it be past or future. It kind of throws everything into perspective. :)

6. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Very cool thread!

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Thank you! :D

[i]Why do you read time travel stories?[/i]

I've loved the idea of time travel for years, ever since I read H.G. Wells' [i]The Time Machine[/i]. Once I got into fan fiction, I started reading various fics on fanfiction.net that had to do with time travel. I guess I read them for the tensions that are created between the characters who did the time traveling and the characters that meet them (in either the future or the past) once they figure it out where the time travelers are actually from. And I love reading about all the running around and hiding idenities that you get in fics where, for example, Leia and Luke are trying to hide their true idenities from Padme and Anakin. :p Also, they're unique -- as Nienna already said. :) They deal with something that will most likely never happen in the books and they add new, interesting situations that can be quite exciting to deal with.

[i]What is your favourite aspect of time travel fics?[/i]

Having the time travelers meeting others they never knew and the experience of getting used to the differences the world had undergone. And also -- if there is a paradox where the characters run into themselves -- I LOVE that! It can be sooo funny sometimes. :)

[i]What draws you to them?[/i]

Simply the fact that time travel is so different. I and [i]love[/i] character reactions! :x

edit -- I am terrible at mark-up codes. [face_blush]

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    There are many time travel stories out there, and many of them have many devoted readers.

So... why do you read time travel stories?

I like the premise. And each story ends up being unique - even if its the same cliché of "Luke and Leia end up in prequel timeline to stop Anakin from becoming Vader". Every author has a unique plot idea that makes their story one of a kind.

Favorite aspect? The possibility of changing time.....even if it results in a crazy situation in the old time line (that the travelers came from - whether its the Post-ROTJ time line or the AOTC timeline or the ROTS timeline that is changed).

What draws you to them?

Honestly not sure. I like to see what each author can come up with for the plot.

9. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I know I was the last to post in here, but since I'm trying to write that Time Travel fic, I was wondering if there are any betas in here that can help out with the fic once I've completed it?

Thanks.

10. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    *raises hand*

I'm not doing much writing lately, so I guess I'm available.

One question: which Luke & Leia are we talking about here? Pre-HoT, pre-NJO, pre-DNT, pre-LotF . . . or are you ignoring the EU altogether? If it's post-NJO, I'll have to pass since I haven't read that far yet.

- lazy

11. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    for the purpose of my fic (and for it to work right) Leia is only a newlywed and Luke is still a single and un-married) Jedi trying to dodge those adoring fans..... ;)

That's all I can say (and I think I did tell a little more in an earlier post - look back a few pages).

12. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    on the 4th anniversary of Endor.

Ah, pre-TTT. Gotcha. :) In that case, I am definitely available and looking forward to it.

- lazy

13. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    thanks lazy for volunteering!

BTW, those who have written time travel fics - would I post my fic in Saga even though it begins a few years after Endor? It takes place mostly in the Prequel TimeLine, so I am assuming that I would post in Saga. Just wondering - I don't want to make a mistake once its posted. Of course that won't be for awhile yet cause I've only got one chapter written. And I've got other fics in progress that aren't ready for posting.

Sorry about hijacking the thread!

~ maybe loves time travel stories a bit too much ;)

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    ~ maybe loves time travel stories a bit too much

That's what we want to hear. :p

As for your question, I would post it in the Saga as the majority of it is going to take place in the Prequel time line, right? That's what I did for my own time travel fic, whose first three posts take place post-NJO time, but the majority of it is Saga time. :)

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    is there anyone else that could beta in case lazy doesn't get back to me soon? I sent him part of my story but I don't know if he received it. And I need someone that can help me with the basics of the time travel story.

16. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd help beta if you like. I'm more familiar with the Saga though I know a little about the Beyond.

PM me please if you want me to beta for you.:)

17. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd like to see Chewie time travel. As that moon falls he gets snatched out of the time line and becomes a sort of SW-version of a Time cop or Time Lord, you know appearing in the nick of time to make sure that things happen like they should.

18. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Untitled Epic Rpg Request Stage 1:

This topic I hope will give me a team of dedicated people who like myself enjoy this unique take on that Galaxy Far, Far away....
    First of all this project is of EPIC proportions.
    It will go through various stages before its even ready thats where You come in. What I'm looking for are a group of experienced writers to help flesh out the multiple stories, backstories and MAIN characters of this Untitled Epic Role-Playing Game.
    Ive written very Rough concepts and ideas for this project that need to be polished and refined to more realistic and Star Wars realistic to work. This project is like no other which will take time to fully develop thats why I'm putting this call-out for Writers only for Stage 1 of this project. Any experienced writers who know what I'm trying to go for but also can add their touch as well and must know their Star Wars these are the ERA's that will be in this Epic Rpg. This idea has many influences so hopefully many will understand it from the get go.

Okay here is my idea and you can either pm me or post on here which ever suits you. Thanks in advance.

The Main overall Theme of this Rpg/Story is "What do you do if your allies turn against you?"

My Very Rough Idea......

This idea that has been on my mind for a very longtime.

The Story is that I have developed over the original concept is that we have a clash of era's and in the middle of it is Earth in the cross-fire. There's an artifact that has been laid hidden on Earth since ancient times. The prologue begins with the Apocalypse of Earth. The end of the Gods.

Here is the basic prologue thus far just to give an idea....

The world shook and became engulfed by flames. The gods thunderous cries of rage echoed from above before each one became silenced. Flashes of lightening struck the earth in rapid succession as the fires raged on. The final battle is drawing to an end. Judgement Day. The end of the world.
    The once splendour of the gods were lost and all fell into darkness.

940 A.D.

A small boy ran through the fields towards the harbour. The small fishing village was a buzz with activity as visitors from a nearby settlement arrived. It is rumoured that they are warriors from the high clan journeying from a far to seek the weapon of the gods.
    The long boats mooring line were thrown over and tied at the dock. Their sails reefed to their mast and oars pulled in. Cheers and chanting came from the men in the boats as they unloaded their cargo and supplies. These men were different from the villagers, they were taller, stronger. Their beards grew long and swayed with the wind. They disembarked the boats and set foot on the dock. Light glittered off their armour of iron worn beneath coats made from animal pelts to keep them warm. The village chief greeted the largest man who acted as leader of the warriors. His helmet was large and intimidating and pulled to the village chief aside.
    No one heard what was said but the chief was upset. With the flick of his shoulder, the warrior leader shrugged off his axe and displayed it. The chief bowed his head and left in a hurry.

The mountains that overlook the village was a common place of worship. A legend was pasted down from generation to generation that there was a battle from long ago that took place where they lived. It was a terrible battle that involved the gods as well as men. The ground shook and the mountains sent flames and ash. To prevent the gods from being angry again the villagers built a shrine there to worship.

The warriors only stayed for a week before setting sail again. Before they left they explored the village thoroughly for what they seek but could not find what they were looking for. When the sails could not be seen on the horizon the chief took the path to the mountain summit to the shrine. Inside he prayed before the the artefact displayed on an alter. He looked up after his prayer and cried out in alarm. The alter was empty. The weapon of the Gods

19. TimeTravelIndex

TimeTravelIndex Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2006

Hi everyone! It?s been an extremely long time since this Index was updated with a new discussion. So, let?s try to get started on a new one! :D

Paradoxes! Don?t we all love them?

When writing time travel, do you like to incorporate paradoxes? Is it possible in your time travel stories to have, for example, two Lukes and two Leias? What will happen to Anakin Solo if you send him back into the past and he ends up killing a young Anakin Skywalker?

Such puzzling things to consider! The Grandfather paradox is one of my favourites? what are your thoughts? Do you like to incorporate paradoxes into your time travel stories?

Some information on Paradoxes:

1. [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox]The Grandfather Paradox[/link]
    2. [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_paradox]The Predestination Paradox[/link]
    3. [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox]General Information on Paradoxes[/link][/color]

20. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    OOOOOH, time travel!! My favorite subject ever!
    (where on earth did this thread come from, anyway?) ((was it...the FUTURE??!? :eek: ))

And my favorite aspect of time travel: the Paradox!

In my view, there is one major thing that needs to be addressed by an author prior to writing a time travel story. That thing is: is this story's timeline Causal, Rigid, or in Flux?

In a Causal timeline, there are never paradoxes, because everything that happens is meant to happen. Your attempt to travel back in time to stop the war, causes the war. Your friend's attempt to travel back in time to stop the war in a more subtle way, inspires the guy who eventually creates the currently existing government. Poetic justice, futility, and all that.

In a Rigid timeline, there are also no paradoxes, becuase any attempt to travel back in time causes a new timeline to branch off from the old one. None of your changes, therefore, affect the reality you left behind (though you'll never know this because you'll be travelling into the other future thinking it's your own present). Think Back to the Future 2, where the Doc is explaining how the alternate 1985 they're stuck in came to be. The difference being that that movie ran on the naive belief that you could actually put yourself back into your original timeline. This is, of course, impossible. Any futher changes you make, for better or worse, will simply drop you into yet another new timeline.

In a timeline that's in Flux, you can have paradoxes, because there's no way to stop you from going back in time and killing the guy who invented the time machine in the first place. In such a timeline, if that were to happen...

...let's not think about it.
    [face_worried][face_whistling]

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    would a paradox be like "in the future, Han and Leia are married" and then "in the past, they change something that makes it possible that Leia might not meet Han"? Or is it more like in Back to the Future II where younger Jennifer encountered her older self and passed out?

also, does anyone think that "Shadows of the Past" be a good title for a time travel fic?

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Ah! Just when I thought I was going to have to update the thread, it jumped out at me from... the past. Or the future. Or whatever. :p

Jedi_Liz, a paradox in time travel would be something more like Luke and Leia going back in time to save Anakin, but then they are born and so then we have two Lukes and two Leias. So more like the Back to the Future II thing. Although, I have to admit that I've never seen Back to the Future.

Oh, and Shadows of the Past works excellently as a title. :)

1Yodiumus_Prime -- thank you so much for that interesting information on paradoxes. :D

In a timeline that's in Flux, you can have paradoxes, because there's no way to stop you from going back in time and killing the guy who invented the time machine in the first place. In such a timeline, if that were to happen... let's not think about it.

Ahhhh! That gave me a headache.

If you went back in time and killed the guy who invented your time machine, would you then disappear? Would the time machine disappear? Would you be stuck?

Agh! 8-}

23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I had one of those in To Cast Away Stones, innocuously done. The closing scene involved Leia sitting around with Bail, Breha, Luke and Han and holding baby Leia. It also appears in Frequency, where Jim Caveziel is speaking to himself over the ham radio.

24. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Paradoxes don't appear in "Primer". Which is a brilliant but hopelessly confusing time travel movie.

Liz: both of those examples are types of paradoxes. Idrelle explained the bttf one pretty well (especially well, considering she's never seen the film!). It's the problem of exponential redundency. If you do something stupid, and then go back in time and warn yourself not to do that...which "you" are you?

The other one is the grandfather paradox. Ex: "if you go back in time and kill your grandfather as a young man, would you cease to exist?" which is promptly answered 'no' because you must exist in order to kill him...but then it become a 'yes', because killing him keeps you from being born. Hence the multiple timeline workaround I suggested. In that timeline, killing him merely creates a new timeline, unique from the one you came from.

Ish has also given us a paradox: the causal paradox! my favorite one. This is the one where you gather up all of Shakespeare's greatest works, go back in time, and hand them all to a down-and-out Elizebethan bard working at the Globe theatre by the name of Will. Loop! Bill and Ted exploited the paradox constantly to get out of tight jams.

So uh...there ya go.

Rule of thumb when pondering over whether or not something involving time travel is a paradox: if it hurts your head...it probably is.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Rule of thumb when pondering over whether or not something involving time travel is a paradox: if it hurts your head...it probably is.

Best piece of advice I've heard all day. :p

I tend to get headaches from thinking about my own time travel fic very often. :p

I guess it's time to admit that I've only seen/read three things (from movies and TV) that involves time travel -- Doctor Who, Timeline and The Time Machine. 8-}

I've run into that problem before when writing a few stories that will never be posted. I remember sorting one of them out (somewhat) by writing it in first person. It helped make it slightly less confusing. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.