main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Combining the Eras V 2.0 A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- New Discussion!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TimeTravelIndex, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    my fic I've mentioned - I can't remember if I asked this before - since the fic will take place mostly during prequel times, but starts at 4 years after ROTJ, it would still be posted in Saga, right?

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Sorry, Liz, I should have gotten back to you earlier on this.

since the fic will take place mostly during prequel times, but starts at 4 years after ROTJ, it would still be posted in Saga, right?

Yes, that's right. :) Always post the story where the majority of the action takes place. For example, my own time travel story is posted in Saga because most of the action takes place around ROTS, even though the two main characters are from Beyond and it starts 5 years post-NJO.

3. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    However, it may be useful to mention the era-spanning aspects in an author's note, since otherwise even with "time travel" in your subject line people may read the first few paragraphs and think you're in the wrong place.

4. TimeTravelIndex

TimeTravelIndex Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2006
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."
    ~ Lewis Carrol, The Walrus and the Carpenter

Okay, ignore that. That was Idrelle having her fun. :p

Friends, it is sad to announce that we, Idrelle_Miocovani and CrazyAni are stepping down from managing the Time Travel Index. Neither of us really have the time anymore to manage this index and, to be honest, both of us are out of ideas for discussions. :p

This leaves us with a slight problem: we need someone to take over. :) If you would like to manage the time travel index, send us a note and we'll give you the password for the sock.

Thanks, all! Let's hope that someone takes over so this index doesn't die! :)

--Idrelle_Miocovani and CrazyAni

5. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Eeek!

I like time travel stories and would hate for the thread to die... but I don't know if I have time to adopt it, having just acquired the infant Poetry Thread. I hope you get somebody!

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks, Persephone_Kore. I hope we get someone soon, too! I'll try to keep it floating until we do, but I really do hope we get someone soon. :)

7. TimeTravelIndex

Sep 5, 2006
    Jturtle has kindly offered to take over the Index. Big round applause for our new manager!!! =D==D==D=

8. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yay, Jturtle! :D Thanks for volunteering!

9. TimeTravelIndex

Sep 5, 2006
    Thanks so much everyone! Thanks especially to the old managers! [:D]

I'm looking into discussion topics and maybe a challenge in the future if enough people are interested.

-Jturtle

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Sweet! A challenge! Yay! And new discussion topics! That's what CrazyAni and I ran out of. :D

You're going to do a fabulous job, Jturtle! [:D] I just know it! :D

And, of course, I'll be popping into the thread fairly regularly just to see how things are going. :D

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Upping this in the hopes of a challenge given soon. :) Or at least some discussion activity. [face_batting]

12. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I've decided to possibly add another few words to my time travel story's title. Instead of just being "Shadows of the Past" its now going to be (possibly) "Shadows of the Past, Hope of the Future". Is that too wordy? I'm trying to write out my story write now (very slowly, first in a little notebook, then typing it out) because I don't want to mess anything up. Its very slow going at the moment, though. [face_tired]

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I personally prefer "Shadows of the Past" instead of "Shadows of the Past, Hope of the Future." The latter does seem a bit wordy. :) But it's your fic, so you can name it whatever you want! :D

And once you set about typing it up, if you ever need a beta, feel free to PM me -- after all, time travel is my thing. :p

14. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

I'm new here so is it okay if I reply to the *first* discussion instead of the last one? ;)

Which characters are used most frequently in time travel? Why?

I've only been reading SW fanfic for a few weeks now, and time travel fic just a few days, so it's hard to say! From reading through this thread, I'm guessing Luke & Leia ;)

Which characters are your favourites for time travel? Why?

Jaina, definately. She's my favourite character, and there's lots about her that's interesting for time travel fics... her family, her history with the dark side, being the "sword of the jedi" etc.

Which characters would you like to see time travel, to which era, and visit which characters? Why?

Jag! Possibly with Kyp. That could be fun.

I'd also like to see some old-Republic Jedi come forward in time... maybe to the NJO era. I'd love to see them pop up around the time of "Rebel Stand".

Hmm... there could be a fic where someone goes forward in time and sees a bad future. For instance, Dark Journey-era Jaina (maybe with Kyp) could be thrust forward in time to an era where Jaina's all dark-side-y.

Above all I'd like to read more fics where people are purposefully sent back in time, rather than accidentally. I've just read "Sanctuary of Time" and I absolutely loved it.

15. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006

Luke, Leia, Han, Obi-Wan, and Anakin. I'm not quite sure but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because these characters have the most potential to change the events of the time line. Specifically, Anakin.

My favorite to see time travel are Anakin and Obi-Wan. These two seem to make the most trouble when they time travel.

Which characters would you like to see time travel, to which era, and visit which characters? Why?

I would love to see any of the Beyond characters travel to the Before. I have a feeling an author would have a lot of fun with this. [face_thinking] Plot bunnies sprouting.

Thought I might copy the example. :D

Hopefully, discussion to come soon!

16. TimeTravelIndex

Sep 5, 2006
    Discussion!

Yay! Its finally here.

So, how do we get our time travelers into the past/future?

Of course in Star Wars we have the convenient use of space and space ships but what do we really do to send our characters hurtling through space and time? A worm hole? An anomaly in the weather? Or just gloss over that minor detail?;)

If we send them through space in their ships, how do we do it?

Have you sent them through time while they're on planet?

What do you think is the best way to send our travelers through time?

-Jturtle

17. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I need to figure out how to send Luke and Leia back in time in my fic I'm trying to write. Right now, its just a very strong gust of wind that knocks them to their feet (I guess they enter some sort of wormhole).

It'll be interesting to see the ideas people have. Maybe I'll get a new idea. :)

18. TimeTravelIndex

Sep 5, 2006
    Announcing that the Index has been updated an encouraging other to send in stories to be indexed!

(I'm also giving this an up :p)

19. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Is anyone still interested in Time Travel fics? I need some help with mine......just tossing ideas at someone. Luke and Leia thrown into the Ep2 Timeline and I've written some (but not typed it up yet and no where near ready to post) and I just need some inspiration or help......Please? [face_praying]

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Liz, I know this is a little late, but if you need some help or want general advice, PM me and feel free to bounce ideas off of me. :)

I notice that there's a new (old) discussion. :D About time I got around to it.

Yay -- sending people through time and space! Lovely. It's my favourite thing to do. [face_devil] [face_skull]

I've never sent someone through time in a space ship, but the logical (in a very, very broad sense) and usual way that I've seen in fics is a wormhole randomly (or occasionally purposefully) opens up and the ship plows through it without any knowledge of what is happening until it's out on the other side.

Yep! [face_mischief]

On the planet in question is a rather strange-looking device that acts as a control to open up a wormhole, which lets my lead characters through time. That, however, is only one way of time travel. It's also the safest and the less used because someone controls that special device and he's not letting anyone through time whom he doesn't want to. Furthermore, only Force-sensitives can actually connect with the device and be sent through the wormhole, since it relies on their Force-sensitivity to pull them through time.

There's another way of traveling through time in my specific fic and it's by way of the Force. Therefore, time travel is only for Jedi/Sith, once again. :p But first, the time traveler must uncover the secrets of time. Once they have the knowledge, they can travel through time whenever they want. No devices, no nothing. It's extremely dangerous and they have to be extra careful as to where they send themselves, as paradoxes are disasterous and could potentially rip the universe in half.

Which leads to another question: paradoxes or no paradoxes? And by paradox, I mean having two versions of the same person existing at the same time (ie. if Luke and Leia traveled back to RotS or post-RotS time).

And that's just how I do it. For once specific fic. There are lots of other ways, but I think wormholes are people's favourite. :D

I think it depends on how important the actual act of time travel is to your story. The knowledge of time travel is so closely linked to the plot of my fic that it's not just a "mode of transportation." It's not just a way of getting the fic going or whatever, it's central to everything that happens in the fic. (And I really don't think I'm making too much sense, but whatever... it's late :p I-) )

The way I see it, there's no "right" or "wrong" way to send travelers through time; I think there's more "common" ways and "less common" ways. :p It depends on what feels right for your story, what's right for your characters. If it's Force related, you might want it so that only Jedi/Sith can travel through time. If it's a wormhole that acts on it's own... then, maybe anyone can travel through. What if someone events a time travel machine? Is the act of time travel in your fic a "one time only" kind of thing that happens to specific people, or could it have happened to anyone?

When deciding on how to transfer your people through time, I think you need to look at A) Who's traveling, B) Why are they traveling, and C) Can anyone else travel by the same means as well?

Ahh... the ideas! 8-}

21. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Thanks Idrelle. I may bounce ideas off of you soon. :) (Might not be until next weekend, though).

22. Inquisitor_Skywalker

Inquisitor_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2008

I, personally like scientifically plausible methods (or at least methods that are scientifically plausible in the Star Wars Universe). Black holes, for example. You just need to have a ship run close enough to one, and the natural time-dilation effects of the black hole can send your ship any number of years into the future, while only a few minutes pass to the crew of the ship. Also, Carbon Freezing, or other stasis technology is good. Canonically, stasis technology has been around for possibly as long as 100,000 years, since many worlds were colonized by "sleeper ships" filled with people in suspended animation over the course of many millenia before the Republic was founded. Also, there is at least one case of a man taking his ship into a neighboring system around 220 BBY, when whatever system that shields hyperspace-capable ships from relativity's effects failed, resulting in him emerging from hyperspace 200 years later, during the clone wars, while the trip had only seemed, to him, to take a few hours.

Travelling back in time is a bt more difficult. I suppose since hyperspace technology isn't very thoroughly explained, one could invent a hyperdrive malfunction for a fic that would send a ship back in time. There is only one canonical possible instance of reverse time travel that I could find. Apparently, a Class VI Freighter, a ship not produced until after the Ruusaan Reformations(1000 BBY) was sighted as part of the Republic fleet that attacked the Koros System at the start of the Great Sith War (roughly 4000 BBY). So it would seem that backwards time travel is possible in the Star Wars Universe, but it is unclear how exactly.

23. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Hello, everyone! I'm a HUGE fan of Time-travel, even though I've actually not written one... yet. I'm afraid of doing something everyone else has done, writing something formulaic.

Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Luke, and Leia. I think because they're the most popular and important characters in the series.

Tough one! Probably Luke and Leia because they have so much to bring to the time-travel experience.

I would like to see maybe Anakin and Padme together travel into the future and visit the whole original gang.

So, how do we get our time travelers into the past/future?

Hey, it's Star Wars, not physics class! Worm hole, convenient portal through time, or maybe just the good ol' reliable Force to send them back - or forward - for a purpose.

Maybe a hyperspace black hole?

Not yet, but that's a good possibility!

There are a number of different ways, but I personally think the best way is to have something happen to the characters - they fall off a cliff, or a building - something where the characters are "falling" through time. But being in a ship works well, too.

- Serena

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006

I would like to see: Talon Karrade, Anakin Solo, and Luke Skywalker travel to the PT-Saga era. Sometime during Ep II, so they can visit Dooku, Yoda, and Obi-Wan. Well, I'd really like to see a Dooku Redeemed story. I'd like to see the Beyond characters have to team up with the PT-Saga characters to save Yoda's life and help the Count find his way back to the Light. :)

25. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    bump

my story is stuck (on hold that is) cause I have another story I am writing. Can't really try to plan two stories )other is not time travel) at once. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.