main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Hmm... I think I may have gotten past my writers block long enough to think up a challenge. I don't know if it was used in the other thread or not but here it is.
    Put any SW, or other SciFi (I am not picky), into whatever time period of Earth's history you want. Want to see a Tie buzzing down Zeros? Want to see a Gundam crushing an M1? Want to see ST people adapt to live in the stone age? Just write it then.
    I will do my own too, it may be a while till I post though.
    If you have an idea then post it so we can see it. Since this is the first challenge there is no limit on length and no special words/situation. Oh and you don't need to have fighting just have them interact (and fight if you really want it).

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmm, really, the only thing that comes to mind is Alderaanian refugees contemplating Earth as a haven, but seeing the difficulties of immigrants throughout history changing their minds.

3. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    You know, I don't usually do challenges because I never get ideas for them, but for some reason, this time...I think I've got an idea. :eek:

I'm not sure how much character interaction there will be...[face_thinking] I'll give it a try, though, see what comes out. Going to be an odd crossover.....

4. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Uh, I'm not seeing the crossover in the crossover challenge. You kinda have to have two or more fictional properties (or at least two media constructs), and your challenge only requires one. And given how many SF properties include time travel as a major or minor element, including a historical setting wouldn't even make for a particularly unusual story.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Ok, look at it this way. In the old index, I saw crossovers that were for example: SW/Earth crossovers. For example Luke crashlands on Earth and starts training Jedi. The point of this challenge is not to crossover over two SciFi's (SW/ST for example) or even two media things (Lost/Psych for example, and wouldn't that be an interesting one). The reason I am doing this one is to see how creative people are in trying to mix modern or past Earth with SciFi's. Oh and these ones are not going to be time travel SciFi's (Doctor Who), and the only ones I have seen other than DW with time travel are Star Trek (which is accidental). And the historical thing could make it interesting, just imagine a Star Destroyer (Victory class so it can go in atmosphere) popping up over Pearl Harbor during the raid (just an example). Ok rant over, I just needed to prove my point. To make everyone happy the next challenge will actually crossover two media/SciFi things.

6. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    [face_thinking] Hrm, then I have a question. This can't be between two media series? Because I was thinking of a cross between SW and a series that takes place on Earth during a period of Earth's history. Is that not allowed then?

Eh, either way, I'm having fun with my odd little crossover story..... :D

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    painting crossovers was fun too.

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/batman.jpg]

8. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Batman threatening Palpatine? [face_laugh] Awesome. [face_love]

9. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    See, that would make for an interesting challenge: an SF series with a mundane (meaning just non-SF, non-fantasy, Earth-bound) one.

The reason you see "SW/Earth" treated as a crossover is because there is zero overlap between them. So when a writer uses some trick to get them to interact, it functions like a crossover. But most SF properties aren't so completely divorced, so things like Trek/Earth or Who/Earth don't have the same meaning.

What are "these ones"? All the challenge says is, "Put any SW, or other SciFi (I am not picky)," so properties like Doctor Who or Quantum Leap or The Time Tunnel would all fit. Don't get me wrong here. As a general challenge, this works fine. It's just not necessarily a crossover one.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Anothe funny one

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/apes.jpg]

Master of the apes I am

11. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah that would work, I never said it couldn't be with two media series (I know I said the point was to not do that, but I was rushed to post that and wasn't able to explain well enough). Personally I would like it to be with say SW and just random Earth history, but I don't care if you want to put a series with SW at all.
    And in answer to Salacious_Drabb, I didn't have time to specify what I meant by 'These ones', nor was I as specific as I wanted to be with the challenge in the first place (writers block, gotta hate it), so lets clarify this. No time travel fandoms (Doctor Who, Quantum Leap, Time Tunnel etc.) and for the crossover part use something that dosen't involve Earth in any way (Lord of the Rings, SW, or any other thing you can think of). If you want to use Trek or something like that go ahead, it will just not be considered a crossover. And if you want to use a media from Earths history (movie, show, game etc.) then go ahead. Is that specific enough for everyone?

12. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Well I don't know what's happening, but thanks to you guys I am now writing a SW/Jem crossover.

Earlybird, I love your illustrations!

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Jem, as in "me and my girls are jem girls, jem, jem is my name"?

:cool: I'm looking forward to reading this.

14. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    May I make a suggestion? I don't mean to hijack either the thread or the challenge from the mod/thread creator, but since this is starting to sound awfully complicated, can we simplify things a little?

So far, Ubersue and myself have mentioned doing SW/"media series taking place during sometime in Earth's history" crossovers. No one else has so far mentioned doing one. Why not simply stick to SW/"media series taking place during sometime in Earth's history", instead of throwing in lots of other series? The thread's new - maybe can we do more complicated stuff later, when the challenge is written more clearly? Just a thought....

And SW/JEM? [face_laugh] I have gotto read that!

Also, earlybird_obi-wan - I love it! Did Yoda knock them all out with the Force?? [face_laugh]

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Jeez, everyone seems to be taking a crack at how my challange wasn't very clear.[face_frustrated] Just kidding.:p That being said, did I ever say I wouldn't take peoples suggestions on challenges (I already have modded this one after all)? And I also said, way back in the first post that I am new at the whole thread thing so it is to be expected that my first challenge might not be up to par. And to prove I am willing to listen to ideas, the first challenge is now down. It will be replaced by challenge 1.2. In other words, I will take Iceaffinty's idea and limit it to SW. When I get more experince with the thread thing, I will make it more complex.

16. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Don't sweat it. It's our job to be nitpicky and to look for loopholes in challenges. I've been doing both to challenges here since '03 (and longer elsewhere).

17. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Hmm, a little advice? I'm almost ready to post my fic, and I'm trying to figure out where to put it since it's a crossover...it's heavier on the non-SW side than SW, so...would the non-SW Fanfiction board be the best place? [face_thinking]

18. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I think the rule is any SW means use the SW board. Oh, T-65, one general rule of advice. When you post a challenge, make it easy to spot at a glance. Use bold type and colors. Also, copying it into the first post of the thread is often helpful too.

19. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    My fic is up! [face_blush]

A Burning Boat

The thing about falling stars was that they were supposed to fall. Not chase each other around like drunken dragons playing tag, shooting fireballs at each other before exploding in the night. Fall, in a brief blaze of glory, then wink of out of existence.

It's been years and years since I've written either a crossover or attempted a challenge, so any feedback would be much appreciated. [face_blush] Otherwise, I hope you enjoy. @};-

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well, its been a while since I posted hasn't it? Well I have a new discussion idea now.

What do you think would be the best (or most fun) things to crossover that don't involve Star Wars in any way, shape, or form.

Personally its a tie for me. My favorites are Mass Effect/Halo, and anything involving Gundam SEED (since it is currently my favorite show).

21. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    The funnest ones are the ones that don't necessarily involve the usual suspects. There's something very satisfying about getting a reaction just from the fandoms I throw together.

EDIT: But you already knew that about me, didn't you?

22. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Hmm... only one so far? That's a little depressing. I hope that it picks up again. In any case I am working on an answer to my own challenge and should have it posted by next week.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, due to a bet with DarthIshtar, I can't write crossovers for 2011. But... I think I might share some 'words of wisdom' about how I approach crossovers.

Mileage varies, of course, on my viewpoint. ;) It's just how I see them with SW/anything else.

I see three basic levels of crossover, with about a billion levels between.

1. Galactic/dimensional. The other franchise(s) are from another galaxy or dimension altogether. Most used with Star Trek, Babylon Five, Doctor Who or any one where the setting is too 'big' to fit into the Unknown Regions. DC and Marvel Comics as well. Good for an epic feel, but could get too crowded and bogged down.

2. Interstellar. The franchise is 'small' enough to fit inside the GFFA and it to be plausible that they haven't intersected yet. LOTR, Space: Above and Beyond, some versions of Transformers. Not as crowded, per say. But the other franchise could be... overwhelmed, for lack of a better term.

3. Adaptation. Basically, adapting a work to 'fit' inside the GFFA's structure. An example with the [linkhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheATeam]The A-Team[/link]

A crack GAR unit known as the Aurek Team is sent to prison for robbing one of the Banking Clan's planets near the end of the Clone Wars. They escape from prison and become mercenaries. Their leader is a rogue clone, filling in for Hannibal Smith. He smokes cigarras. A rescued Wookiee slave is perfect for BA Baracus. Templeton 'Face' Peck is perfect for a Lorrdian and 'Howling Mad' Murdock can be filled in by anyone as long as he/she is crazy. :D Who they're being chased by can vary, although I'm leaning to an OC who is Kirtan Loor's father.

Anyway...

Some rules I follow.

1. Characterization is key. Natch for all fanfics, but for crossovers sometimes that's tossed out the window to get to the next point.

2. Limit the good guys fighting. It's cliched and 85% of the time, it makes little sense. So... why would Luke Skywalker fight Spock again? :confused: Oh, that's right. He wouldn't.

3. Look for unique angles and stuff a lot of people don't touch upon. You do a crossover with Marvel. Okay, so how's about a conversation between Captain America and Han Solo about being frozen? ;) What would Data and Threepio talk about? Adama and Carlist Rieekan?

4. Try to avoid... contests concerning power. Admittedly, this contradicts my next point, but you know all those figures people throw around in vs. debates? Yeah, they don't matter. You know who wins in a fight between Kirk and Han?

Whoever the author wants.

Rule of drama, rule of cool.

5. Although in some instances, the GFFA and Force are on the low end of the power spectrum. It's true. Doctor Doom would take one look at Palpatine and scoff. Optimus Prime would've been able to wipe out Blizzard Force. Which leads into point six...

6. Don't simply 'drop' either side in and do simple retellings of the story. I've read crossovers where some characters are inserted into the other franchise... and almost nothing changes. Aside from some lines or some new scenes, that's it. It's lazy at best.

7. Have fun.

Feel free to ignore these, btw. :p Your fics would probably be better for it.

24. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    lol, actually, Striker, I think those are some pretty good rules of thumb!

I've never understood why good guys need to fight each other - there's probably cases where it works, but for the most part, good guys are good because, well, they don't go around attacking other people or doing evil things. :) Therefore there's little reason other good guys would want to fight with them - unless there's an epic misunderstanding, why would Luke want to fight Spock?? Besides, isn't half the fun seeing the characters interact? A more interesting scenario might be Spock arguing for logic against a Jedi arguing for acting on emotions. It's a major dividing point in the philosophies of the two series. [face_thinking]

Unique angles are another fun point, and one of the reasons I love finding odd mixes in crossovers - felt really odd writing my SW/HTTYD fic for the challenge, because the series have absolutely nothing in common - except for one small thing. Jedi and Vikings both cremate their dead. The one commonality was enough to do something fun with.

lol, contests concerning power are only fun if they're evenly matched. Han vs. Kirk would be fun and as much character interaction as an actual duel. Han vs. Dr. Doom? Not so much.

And having fun is a given. ;)

25. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Uh, Striker, your third example isn't a crossover. It's a parody. To be a crossover, you have to have the specific elements of both fandoms. You can adapt The A-Team for the GFFA, altering details like which military they'd been working for, but they have to stay Hannibal, B.A., Face, and Murdock, and they have to stay human; if you change their names and species, they're no longer the same characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.