main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Appearing onstage, Miller said there are still months left of VFX work needed to complete the movie and therefore the footage screening at CinemaCon was not final. Paramount showed off two clips from the movie and a reel. The first clips prominently featured Mackenzie Davis, who is seen time traveling and landing in Mexico City and fighting police in the first one. The second clip found Hamilton interrupting a fight between Davis’ character and two Terminators. Hamilton’s Sarah Connor is seen firing off a bazooka and saying, “I’ll be back.” The line prompted a huge reaction from the audience.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I thought she was back?

3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The audience cheers drowned out the full line - "I'll be back, right after these messages" and then the movie cuts to commercial.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So let's get this straight, the new Terminator movie acts as if T3 and the two other movies never happened, supposed to be a straight follow up to T2, and Sarah is with Arnold's Terminator character in the not-to-distant future? What am I missing here?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The official synopsis is:

Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (T-800) return in their iconic roles in Terminator: Dark Fate, directed by Tim Miller (Deadpool) and produced by visionary filmmaker James Cameron and David Ellison. Following the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Terminator: Dark Fate also stars Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna, and Diego Boneta.

Sarah Connor is 29 years old, stated my her psychologist, (Hamilton is 35 years old) in T2:JD and is now ?60? years old (Hamilton is 63 years old) in T-DF so I'm guessing there has to be some exposition to explain what happened the 30? odd years between the two movies. Probably shortly after the events of T2, another "T-800" was sent back to protect her. The only reason they melted the T-800 was to stop Judgment Day, but as we know, there's no stopping it - until they stop making movies.

OR they won't explain anything at all and they'll focus on the characters of Rey, BB-8, Finn, and Poe Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna, and Diego Boneta.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is it still WB distributing? Trailer might be with Godzilla.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Does the character of John Connor play any kind of a role in the movie? If it's 30 years in the future (my timeline with the franchise is fuzzy, so forgive me), would that mean that there's a possibility Sarah would actually reunite with Kyle Reese - who obviously would have no memory of her - along with her adult son who sent him back in the first place?

8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    No details that I know of concerning John or Kyle. They were the focus of Salvation so I'm guessing they're moving away from them. Mackenzie Davis is playing the character of "Grace". My guess is that Grace's last name is Connor and she'll be the future's saving ... yeah.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and PCCViking like this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I love that they are tossing Rise of the Machines on out. Cameron is involved in this next one as a producer and co-story writer so this is likely the closest we will get to his original vision for T3. I know he has said before that T23D at Universal could be considered his T3 but then he walked that back and said he thought about doing a full on T3 film. That was before Titanic came along and he disappeared for a decade.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003

Logo in the background. Seems appropriate.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't understand pre-movie hype for movies that require you to pretend other movies were not made.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It's might be something like getting hyped for The Force Awakens and easily pretending the prequel trilogy didn't exist. :D:p

It's Tim Miller that got me back into being interested in the franchise after Genisys. I love what he did with Deadpool on a relatively small budget for a comic book film; and he did the DC Online animated feature trailer for the video game. He's a fanboy with talent, and so it's doubtful he'll make the same mistakes of the other films.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You see, that just makes it more confusing. It seems that they're playing as if T2 will be the driving force of the new movie; and yet John is out of the picture and Sarah has a camaraderie with the T-800? Throughout the entire movie until the last sequence, she's treating him as if he's nothing more than a machine. It's only at the last sequence where she shakes his hand and accepts his human qualities because of how he connected with her son.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But isn't that enough to demonstrate how her feelings towards the T-800 have completely come around? I can accept that considering what happened in T2 and where she started the film and ended it. John's absence seems more difficult to explain though.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Arnold is said not to be a T-800. On page 48 of this thread:

John could have been killed by cancer. Sort of a roll reversal from Judgement Day. Personally, I'd rather have John killed off than return as a terminator.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    T-Whatever (Arnold): I've been sent from the future. It turns out your daughter Grace saves the day.
    Sarah: I don't have a daughter.
    Arnold: I have been provided with the proper equipment.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think I seen that...

[​IMG]

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So the canon movies are the original Terminator movie and T2; and yet it seems as though they're doing nothing more than rebooting the idea of the first movie.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    To be fair, T2 is basically very very similar to Terminator. Yes, it does continue the Sarah Connor character but it really leans heavily into the first film as well, down to the T1000 smashing the toy with the police car. It is chock full of callbacks(imagery and dialogue).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Not just a reboot. In this one John Connor will be known as John Reese!

BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Grace seems to be a soldier from the future. I think it's more likely that Dani and Miguel Ramos are John's kids. And yeah I think John is likely dead but the machines are still losing in the future and they're really upset about that. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    John: Whoa, wait a minute, Mom. What are you talking about? What happens to us in the future? What, do we become *** ***** or something?
    Sarah: No, no, no, no, no, John. Both you and your wife turn out fine. It's your kids, John. Something gotta be done about your kids!

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    For what it's worth, Josh Friedman, who worked with Cameron on the Avatar sequels, is listed as one of the writers on this movie (top writer on IMDB credit if that means anything), and Friedman also worked on this show called Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles which went pretty deep into a temporal cold war with Skynet and by the end alternate futures so we may see a bit of that here. Me I'm going to keep my eyes peeled if the script worked in any easter eggs or mythology from Sarah Connor Chronicles. Just gimmie a Chromarie or Summer Glau as hey izzat Cameron the Terminator? Well, probably not but I am hoping for something from SCC to show up.

And we did see alt. futures in Genisys as well but not so much temporal cold war. Also Cameron's often pronouncement that Skynet has already won since we're all on our cell phones that may be a bit. Genisys had Skynet as an App but that was more of a ticking clock plot thing than anything deeper thematically.

I'm thinking T2 ends with Sarah all "The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too... HEY! Watch out! Stop the car!"
    *BZAPP!!*
    "I'm back!"
    "Well that was quick!"
    (cut to 30 years later)

Maybe not entirely improbable either because

on thearnoldfans.com site I believe they had pics with two actors who were playing mid 90s era Terminator and John Connor and there's going to be some VFX wizardy to make them look like T2 era actors. So it's possible we're definitely getting SOMETHING that happens fairly immediate post T2 in a flashback. Or time travel.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Anything short of this teaser of T3 and I'll be disappointed. And yes, I know that T3 sucked.

The2ndQuest likes this.