main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That brief glimpse of a battlefield is intriguing too- a new future war? Or do we get multiple... whatever those are (tentacly HK's? Some distant off-shoot of the T-1M, perhaps? At least as far as design goes?) at some point in the film? Only because FW stuff tends to look different than the rest of the film and that looks the same.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    SuperWatto likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Really dug the featurette, Sarah looks good and ticked, that shot of the new terminator mowing through a crowd was genius and the T-800 unloading a whole clip into the face of the Terminator is just [face_love]

comic con interview, seems like a peppy bunch!

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Junkie XL, I believe.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Ok, so according to leaked backstory details:
    A digitally de-aged Arnold manages to kill a digitally de-aged Edward Furlong in the beginning of the movie. Skynet has been prevented from existence, but in its place, an AI by the name Legion will be invented in the future, which will be opposed by humanity's last hope, a woman named Dani. To ensure its own survival, it will send a REV-9 Gabriel Luna model robot to the past to kill her, probably along with other robots to be revealed in sequels should this movie be successful. Humanity has sent the cybernetically enhanced Grace to the past to counter this effort and protect Dani. Having successfully killed John, the Arnold unit that goes by the name Carl no longer has a reason to exist, so it agrees to help an angry Sarah dispose of all the other Carls.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It really is The Farce Awakens!

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    That sounds so dumb.

can they still seriously only make one movie over and over again? Is there truly nothing to the terminator universe other than the fourth remake of T1?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes. Short of making an entire movie during the post-apocalypse, something that they squandered with Salvation, what can you really do with Terminator other than time travelling assassins trying to change the future?

It's why Terminator is one of those properties that is better off left in the trash, there's nothing you can do with it other than recycle the first movie's template, and the only satisfying subversion of that template was achieved in T2.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I liked that concept better in Groundhog Day.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's more you can do (as you say, though, the Future War is the most obvious direction), as TSCC proved where, while it does have time traveling assassins, its not really the focus, just an element. And some new concepts can be introduced though that means- like other ways of ending the war or AI emergence.

The core of the franchise is exploring the nature of humanity and fate while having a small group of characters on the run or being hunted. How you achieve that can be done in a number of ways, even though the movies have mostly stuck to one thus far.

I mean, Terminator really never needed more than a trilogy- a third film set in the Future War sending Kyle, the T-800, the T-1000 and Uncle Bob back during the fall of Skynet was all that was needed. The idea of a Salvation Trilogy building to that was not a bad idea, either- there are a lot of stories you can tell in a post-apocalyptic future like that without invoking time travel.

The problem is when the filmmakers kept thinking that time travel assassins was what Terminator was only about- and so we got the pointless T3 and the wonky T5.

Uh, so I guess I'm saying you're part of the problem? ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    When you put it that way, sure, there's a lot you can do.

It also means that accusations that the leaked prologue synopsis points to a rehash is unfair, because...

The interactions between Sarah and the T-800 are entirely different to what we've seen before, given that John has been successfully terminated. Same applies with Han and Leia in The Force Awakens, and so on with other reboots and sequels.

Thing is, I don't actually disagree with what you're saying, people focus too much on plot similarities and ignore the differences in character interaction. The problem with Terminator is that, unless you fast forward to the post apocalypse and stay there, it's much harder to introduce the variety people want in the driving plot. I know a lot of people who made a point of avoiding TSCC for that very reason.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- staying in the present makes things unnecessarily more difficult than they need to be.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think T1 and T2 set up their story well and they primarily took place in the present. You get a shot of the future (at T2 it's at the beginning; with T1 it's later on with Kyle IIRC). This is where we're headed unless things change. So we essentially get a flash forward, but because of time travel "humanity" can change that flash forward where the world doesn't end. So how do we do that? In T1, we save Sarah. In T2, we save John. This plot is the center of the action and because of the chemistry of the characters and the good yet cheesy acting, we end up caring about these people. Also, the music and the Terminators are terrifying.

IMO, if you want to "fast forward" to the future, then take a beat, show a black screen, state the number of years that have passed, and go from there. If the characters jump from 2019 to 2029, and then mention later (say and not show) that something happened in 2024 that affects the plot, then you've lost me.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    They should just bring back Robert Patrick as the T-1000. Outside of Arnie (with flesh) in the original movie, Patrick's T-1000 was easily my favorite antagonist of any of the Terminator movies.

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    After Salvation (which I kinda liked) I am not bothering with the series. Maybe will watch it when it comes as a DVD/Blu-ray.

Also in the trailer there was a missed opportunity to use the main theme.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They did use it in the SDCC featurette so perhaps that indicates they'll do so in the next trailer.

TheAdmiral likes this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Ah, I have only seen the first trailer (which was enough). There had been some moments in it when it could have been used (maybe would have elicit a reaction from me).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I'm sure it could have worked. They went with a different approach for the teaser trailer with that haunting "I'm going hunting..." song (which does work pretty well and is pretty catchy as a result). I mean, the T-theme would have been better, but for a teaser trailer they don't have to go the obvious route, I suppose.

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Good one. I got one too. The core of the Police Academy franchise is exploring the nature of civil service and destiny.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The core of Back to the Future is exploring the dangers of time travel.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the % of runtime in T1/T2 used to discuss the nature of humanity and fate may be slightly more than how much PA1-7 spent exploring civil service and destiny combined. ;)

LloydChristmas and SuperWatto like this.
  22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    What I meant is that it's just a bunch of action movies. The only thing that's explored in any depth is what the new robot can do this time.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cameron still put in a hellova lot of monologues about fate and destiny if it's just about killer robots. I mean, it's totally about killer robots but fate is a theme of the film too. Demonstrated via killer robot shooting.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I fundamentally disagree- you could remove every action sequence and robot FX trick (except for maybe Sarah's attack on Dyson's house and the skin-glove/hand reveal) from T2 and still get the same story/movie. Something that couldn't be said for removing the dozen-or-so (in the SE) conversations/narrations about fate, humanity and the value of life.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  25. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    If they're avoiding TSCC because they're under the impression that it doesn't introduce variety into the present-day plot, their loss. The reason why TSCC (flaws and all) is lightyears better than any post-T2 sequel film is precisely because it's the only one that bothers to expand the Terminator mythology. The idea that there's a faction of machines in the future who have grown bored by the war (because they've evolved beyond Skynet's "war" impulse) is brilliant. The whole S2 plotline where they begin building an anti-Skynet AI in the present day (one that slowly and haltingly comes to understand things like human empathy) is written with nuance and depth that honors the best questions raised by T1-T2 re: the value of life. Then you've got resentful future soldiers defecting to the past because they disagree with John Connor's use of re-programmed machines, new characters like Derek Reese who add emotional depth and tension to the Connor family story, etc.

Really, I keep waiting for one of the new Terminator films to wise up and care half as much about the potential of this sci-fi universe as TSCC did, but nobody's biting. It's super disheartening, to say the least. There's so much creative capital lying latent and untapped because film execs think we all want More Arnold and More Action.