main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Regarding the comparison to TFA, I would say the REV-9 was more menacing than Kylo Ren ever could be.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He's not receiving messages from any future- he's detecting signal disturbances in the present day that heralds the arrival of a time traveler (in other words, it doesn't matter what future they come from). I actually do think they intended to elaborate on that Officer (maybe a deleted scene?). He clearly has some kind of history with Sarah, much like Enrique did in T2 by providing her shelter and an arsenal. I think it'd be a nice touch if she had saved him from one of the previous Terminators she had killed (whether or not he was the intended target, he could still have been in a position to have been killed by one).

As for Carl's cabin conscience, my take would be that it's the result of a Terminator not under orders being exposed to humans for such a long period of time. In the Theatrical Cut of T2 (ie: no chip removal reset scene), the T-800's learn how to be more human the more they are around humans. In the 2 or 3 days that T2 takes place over, Uncle Bob went from default behavior to understanding the value of human life and the purpose of emotions. If he could do that in 2-3 days, Carl would very plausibly develop much further in 20 years- so regret over his actions doesn't seem like a stretch.

We also don't know what the effect of knowing Skynet was erased from existence would do to an existing Terminator no longer under any given orders/mission.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A little over a week after seeing it, and I still like it quite a bit. I'm kind of bummed it's bombing at the box office, but you could say that that was

*puts on sunglasses*

INEVITABLE

PCCViking and LloydChristmas like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the EMP Army guy in Dark Fate is super wonky, like it's basically 30 seconds of why this random 5 star general would hand over equipment to Sarah Connor (and it doesn't matter a lick anyway in the end!) but I assumed it was just some of the 25 years or more backstory we haven't been privy to (and also got the characters in one place for an action scene)

I have seen a lot of pushback about Carl developing a conscience in Dark Fate. But I totally buy it, they're learning machines and he's been on his own for decades. Which is kinda why him asking Sarah "Do you believe in fate, Sarah?" is one of the oddly most emotional moments of the movie because this machine learned about fate but also a callback to Kyle telling her "No fate but what we make for ourselves." (and Sarah carving No Fate into the picnic table). Also a huge tenet of the Terminator series is that the machines end up acting more like humans and the humans end up acting more like machines (Cameron himself said this once and probably, oddly, Terminator Salvation is the entry to explicitly state this). So, yah, Carl can have the feels, he'll figure it out. Especially after 25 years. They kinda are supposed to do that.

I'd love to have an explicit moment from Skynet explaining why it creates machines that can feel emotions (eventually) that isn't either Helena Bonham Carter or Matt Smith monolouging at someone. Infiltration, I guess? And (cybernetic) life eventually finds a way. Maybe Skynet doesn't know that it happens because Skynet can't get reports back from them long enough (most of the Terminators it cranks out are probably just endoskelletons designed for murder). Maybe it's only a thing that happens in T-800 models that look like Arnold. I dunno!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't call it "super wonky"- one can infer several plausible explainations. It's just that the film understates that info too much (or had it edited from the final cut).

Well, it isn't actually spoken, but it's a pretty clearly presented part of Sarah's story arc in T2, when she becomes a terminator by going after Dyson before having her emotional break once she realizes it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Saw Dark Fate last night. The ending fight was a bit too close to Fast and Furious levels of over the top for my liking at times, but apart from that I enjoyed it. Way better than the mess that Genisys was.

If this is indeed the last Terminator movie to be made, at least the series will have ended on a good note quality wise.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Good note quality is just your opinion. I’ll say it ended on yet another subpar relaunch attempt at cashing in on a beloved duo of films.

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well obviously it's my opinion yeah, everyone has an opinion on the movie one way or the other. I think it was the reputation of the last few movies that sunk this one though. I was sceptical myself going into it but had a good time.

Not as good as the first two, but still enjoyable enough to make it worth a watch.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    maybe its just me but I found the new terminator very Venom-y.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    When the scene first started I thought the army guy was Danny Dyson. I think that would have been a nice connection even if Danny wouldn't have been old enough to be a five star general.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is shaping up to be my favorite Terminator sequel since T2... Though in all fairness I wasn't exactly dying to see more movies in the series.
    If there is no way they'll do more films, maybe there is still a chance there will eventually be a new series? The IP is still one of the most iconic of the last few decades.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I didn't catch his name during my first viewing so I thought the same thing, but verified that isn't the characters name. Daniel Dyson is always a difficult character to predict, though. Would he feel gratitude to Sarah Connor? She did almost kill his dad directly and definitely got his dad killed indirectly. He also never saw proof of an actual Terminator, so "stopping the future" wouldn't necessarily have a strong enough appeal to look at it as Sarah helping prevent his dad's legacy from being that of a nuclear holocaust.

Him joining the military I'm not sure of, either. His dad was gunned down by SWAT. His dad's work almost caused Judgement Day via military application of his research. On the other hand, if he did believe Sarah & John, maybe he thought joining the military would better position him to prevent/survive Judgement Day.

Him following in his father's tech footsteps (as T5 shows & tie-in material to T3 suggest) also kinda seems iffy given him seeing the dangers of it from his father's work (though the T3 stuff applies it more to the Future War and fighting Skynet). T5 having him work for evil John Connor/helping create Smithnet was also an awful way to use the character.

He was apparently going to be a major character in TSCC season 3 (with his distancing relationship with his mom and eventual disappearance in Season 2 setting that up), though who knows if that was to be a role present day or during the Future War. We'll probably never know at this point, unfortunately.

It's not an easy character to predict what the dice will land on if the character is going to be involved in sequel storylines and not just fade away as an uninvolved civilian.

Speaking of Danny- the child actor who played him is still active today, mostly with misc TV roles. He plays the recurring character Darius Davis on Runaways.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

“Behold! The Venominator!!”

15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, that was really bad. In reality my toaster turns itself off when the toast is ready instead of starting to cook mushroom soup and warning the neighbors on incoming salad

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe, but not finding it's new targets. Imagine the toaster learns that his owner is an idiot

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Terminator had served its purpose and completed its mission. It toasted the bread. Now it needed a new mission - a new purpose. A computer executes instructions and the instruction it found next was to be there for a human and the human's child and in executing those set of instructions, he realized/"learned" that he took away a child (John) from a mother (Sarah). Therefore, it may seem he "feels bad", he doesn't. He just took away her purpose, so he gave her a new one.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You and I have very different expectations for our home kitchen appliances.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In all fairness our kitchen appliances haven't had enough time to start learning from our smart homes...

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Keurig became self aware at 2:14am, Pacific Standard Time...

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nightmares of a world consumed in flame and ash.
    [​IMG]
    Leading to a landscape of dark, debris-filled ruins.

[​IMG]

Until a twisted, artificial face is eaten away by fire.
    [​IMG]

Checks out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What sort of a dystopian nightmare has been unleashed?? [face_worried]

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So, there is an interesting theory out there that Dark Fate is the gayest Terminator movie, ever.
    There is enough in the movie (if you read between the lines, so to speak) to suggest a romantic relationship exists or will exist
    between Grace and Dani.
    Here's an article from Slate: https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/terminator-dark-fate-lesbian-subtext-mackenzie-davis.html
    My guess is they didn't make this too obvious because they couldn't afford to get censored in China, which is a market they still felt they depended on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019