main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While one can read into anything any way they want, barring different creative talent working on any form of sequel changing initial subtext, Miller explicitly stated in an earlier interview that
    Dani and Grace's relationship is more like mother/daughter- one of the reasons he had disagreements over having Dani be the one to send Grace to her death from the future.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah when you have a future person send back a grunt in Terminator series I tend to look as it as less romantic and more paternal or at least commander and solider.

Of course, John sent back Kyle with romantic intentions in there. "Headbands, man, you love a woman who can rock a headband. I really need you to like girls who could look hot in a headband."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed, that's why the score in this sequence contains "The Terminator" theme as Sarah enters the house to finish Dyson off.

Skynet did not program a secondary objective into Carl, which is why he didn't try to ensure Skynet's continued existence. It was implied in each film, save for "Rise Of The Machines" that Skynet only has secondary objectives available when it is deemed necessary. Skynet did not intend for the 1984 Terminator to become the basis for Skynet's existence. Uncle Bob stated that he would continue to function for over a hundred years on his existing power cell, until he shuts down. Meaning when they had carried out their objectives, they would have nothing else to do. The T-850 completed his objective in killing John, but was then later re-programmed for a new mission, to ensure that he and Catherine make it to Crystal Peak. The T-X had multiple targets that she had to eliminate and upload the computer virus that would infect Skynet and allow him to become self-aware. Pops had to do a lot of things between 1984 and 2017, since he couldn't go through through time with Reese and Sarah. Before 1984, Sarah was the one who had to teach him to not kill like John did with Bob. And like with two of them, Pops went along with Sarah's orders and her decision to stop Judgment Day.

Unlike all of them, Carl was left alone and had to learn about human life on his own. It's not unreasonable for him to reach those conclusions, after so many years.

The2ndQuest , BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  4. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    After rewatching the first one for it's 35th anniversary, I managed to find a spare evening for Dark Fate. Here's my little review--basically, while it was definitely an improvement on most of the rest of the sequels IMO, and Linda Hamilton was great, it relied a bit too much on the first two. Decent action flick, but not the pop-culture marking entry the franchise needed...

juday and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Quite liked the movie. Enjoyed it far more than any of the last 3. My main query/gripe is
    that no connection was established between Cyberdyne/Skynet & Legion. Are we expected to believe that completely independently a totally separate AI is going to create almost the same kind of tech including terminators? Then utilize the same time travel method & employ the same strategy in terms of eliminating the future resistance leader?? I was waiting for a connection, such as the founder of Legion worked at Cyberdyne up until the events of T2, & so the IP wasn't fully destroyed in that movie. Some link needed to be established, otherwise it's all just a coincidence that's far too improbable to swallow.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    TBH, I didn't really think too much of it, because it isn't the movie that really seems to be made to stand up to close scrutiny. I mean, all sequels want to give us more of the same, but different. So I go in expecting more or less that, whether or not it really makes a heck of a lot of sense. This is the kind of movie that imho really can't be enjoyed without a jumbo-sized helping of suspension of disbelief.

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Sure but my disbelief suspension can't support a giant sized co-incidence of that scale. I'd like to think that in a sequel (that probably won't happen) a link between Legion & Skynet would be established. They should've done so with a line of dialogue in this movie.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the point is that there wasn't a connection. Even ignoring Miller's comments that Legion is not based on Skynet tech, Cameron stated earlier that one of the ideas this trilogy was supposed to explore (through Sarah) was the realization that the rise of AI super intelligence and humans coming to grips with such a creation is almost inevitable in most possible futures. He went on to say:

"In our grand scheme, what we came up with is there is a resolution. Kick the can as many times as you want, but there has to be a resolution. But that's... if we're lucky enough, we make some money with this film, and we get to do a second one, maybe a third one, we have a direction to resolve that innate conflict, you know, ultimately. I don't want to talk too much about that, obviously, for spoiler reasons, but you know, we've thought that through."

Miller also suggested, in the interview I quoted earlier in the thread, that it's possible Legion wasn't trying to change the future, but rather ensure it: it may have intentionally sent back the Rev-9 because it knew that by doing so would push Dani to the point of becoming the leader she needed to be to ensure that Legion's future came into being in the first place. And it would know about that based on all the surveillance state tech and recordings left behind during their encounters with the Rev-9 at the border, base and dam.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's a take on the Singularity, a theory that creates terrible science bros but it's also pretty neat when it comes to fiction.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's no different from John sending his father back in time to impregnate his mother.

Remember that the T-600's had rubber skin which made them easier to spot. The T-800 obviously has clone flesh and in a decade, the first animals would be cloned. It's fairly simple to believe that Skynet figured out how to grow flesh and blood around an endoskeleton. Not to mention that Bob and Pops both state that their skin will heal in time, thus allowing them to blend in with the human populace. Pops is the first one that we see who actually gets to do that, since all the others are terminated before they can do so. Though in the case of the 1984 T-800, infection had set in, as he didn't bother to treat his wounds. Bob was tended to by Sarah and Pops took care of it on his own after sending Sarah and Reese forward.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. juday

juday Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 5, 2018
    Two different AIs coming to the same logical/engineering conclusions is no different than evolution creating a bat wing and a bird wing, or a human eye and an octopus eye. There are only so many ways to "solve a problem."

(I'm attributing intent to evolution in this example only to make a larger point)

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    You say "no different" when in fact there's barely any similarity. On the one hand we have hundreds of millions of years of natural selection that separately establishes that creatures gain a survival advantage via flight, or via light sensors that eventually develop into more complex eyes. Compared with two instances of AI both within the same timeframe deciding to exterminate humanity with near identical methods: killer robots who look human & who become time-traveling hitmen. There are two major problems here. One is that it's a weird-ass plan. It's strange & distinct, so therefore not one that you can just claim to be "inevitable" for every sinister AI to adopt. If you were thinking of the most practical & logical way for sentient machines to "solve the problem", ie kill off humanity following nuclear attacks surely you'd start with biological & germ warfare, maybe deadly toxins, then work your way through to flesh eating nano-bots etc etc. Maybe when you get to around the 50th option you'd get to gun-toting soldier style robots. That's what makes Legion, supposedly a completely unrelated AI coming up with the same tech & same strategies a mind-boggling unlikely co-incidence.
    Then there's the pre-destination paradox the first two movies established. We get a neat closed time loop where Kyle goes back & fathers John, but also the T-800's arm & cpu are recovered by Cyberdyne. In T2 Dyson says they based all of their research on those items. So now in this film we're expected to believe that a wholly independent unrelated AI becomes a near clone of Cyberdyne, with all of their weird & distinct methods of killing humanity, but this time without the T800 hardware to point them in that direction! Naturally it's too much to expect time travel paradox movies to ever marry up perfectly, but this is a bridge way too far in terms of silliness. A quick exchange of dialogue perhaps explaining that someone at Cyberdyne prior to T2 leaked research to a competitor, or to the government, or that the founder of Legion worked there would've easily solved this problem.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    headcanon to explain the differences:

Matt Smith as Skynet manipulating things through different timelines. ;)

Okay, not really, but yeah, it's too much of a coincidence.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have still not managed to see this.

Someone push me to do this, please.

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It's basically a reboot of the first two Terminators, although the new Terminator provided a twist that others didn't (T-1000 or the T-X).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ugh. I want to see it but I need to find someone to go see it with me.

*chuckles*

Oh wait, I am a strong independent man who can go to the cinema alone. Right?

Jedi Ben, BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When you're at the cinema, you're never alone...unless you're in an empty theater.

BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's an entertaining action flick. It does recycle a lot of aspects from the first 2 films in a TFA sort of way. However, unlike TFA, it actually does something with the repeated aspects to fuel the narrative and character development (that comes to a surprisingly emotional moment, despite any predictability).

And, as we've been discussing here, it actually is a movie that is about something, that has actual ideas under the hood (unlike the other sequels). Limited as they may be developed in this film, though.

The scenarios are actually different enough to potentially excuse it. First off, Legion and Skynet choose different initial methods to attack humanity: Skynet chooses nuclear warfare, Legion goes for the power grid/technology (the nuclear attacks in the Legion future are actually fired by humanity in attempts to knock out Legion with EMP). Second, since Legion is not based on Cyberdyne tech, it logically does not go for humanform robots initially. And, in fact, once it does go for creating an army, we see the Rev-7 infantry units are only barely humanoid (and that classification is a stretch beyond the head).

It's not until the need for infiltrators arises that the Rev-9 is deployed. And that need may only be because Legion knows it has to send one back in time. Speaking of which, one assumes there is only one way to go back in time- and, again, Legion may pursue that tech only because it knows it needs to to ensure it is created in the first place.

Time travel is not what Cameron was referring to- just the inevitable conflict between man and AI. We see Skynet and Legion fight their wars very differently, with different tech, So, its not a case of every AI adopting the same plan (though, to be fair, we don't know what Legion's goal is or why it shut down the grid and went after humanity).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    PCCViking likes this.
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Maybe you can ask an usher to keep you company? If the theater's empty they won't be very busy.... [face_blush]

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually love that. Smithnet basically was the Uber-Skynet jumping across timelines so it could make sense in some timeline he made Legion.

Genisys gets a lot of flack for going all crazy alt timeline stuff on it but that's one of the reasons I kind of dug it.

The similarity of Legion to Skynet really does seem like something that would be explored in a continuation but since that looks incredibly unlikely (and every Terminator movie since T2 has basically done it's own thing), I say Smithnet is kind of the catch-all answer to anything, especially since Legion just being Skynet again is really improbable but, hey, time travel and alt realities and so forth.

Aside from all that stuff, I am a bit surprised that Dark Fate didn't do as good as Genisys did in China, and how audiences would respond to that one but not this one. Dark Fate basically did about Genisys numbers in North America (but slightly less) but in China it did way less than Genisys.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I wonder how you say "franchise fatigue" in Mandarin. :confused:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The scenarios are different enough to excuse it from being an outrageously unlikely co-incidence? I wouldn't say that. The Rev-9 is just a composite of the T800 & T1000. Really it's a logical, even likely evolution of technology that I'd expect Skynet to have arrived at given they'd created those two models. Some link between Skynet & Legion in terms of R&D seems obvious, & frankly essential to maintain plausibility here. They have to've had a shared IP lineage, at least prior to T2. You mentioned TFA earlier. Well at least in that movie it makes in-universe sense for the First Order to have Imperial tech. They evolved from the Empire. This thing with Legion would be like some new faction from a distant part of the galaxy who've never heard of the Empire & have no connection to it showing up with almost the same Star Destroyers & TIE's & Starkiller Base.
    Yeah I'd imagine they would've explained the connection in a sequel. What's just as likely though is that they needed Terminators for this film but they wanted this alternate timeline, but Cameron also didn't want to diminish T2. So he's tried to have his cake & eat it too. He'd know that for this to make a lick of sense the Cyberdyne IP clearly wasn't fully destroyed in T2. Somehow it's been continued on with & incorporated into Legion. Yet if the film says that, via say the founder of Legion being Dyson's old lab assistant, then the sequence of destroying Cyberdyne in T2 becomes redundant. Basically the route he's chosen is a cop out, & he just hopes the audience rolls with it & doesn't raise these questions. His other problem is that by stating that Legion is completely unrelated he also undercuts the time paradox he established. Bcs Legion has somehow inexplicably managed to create Terminators without the T800 hardware left behind in T1. Which according to Dyson even Cyberdyne wouldn't have been able to accomplish. Anyway, it seems that Dark Fate is destined to be yet another narrative dead-end for this franchise, so I guess none of this really matters.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not really a coincidence, let alone an outrageously unlikely one. The scenarios are different, just falling under the (intentional) umbrella of a a clash between humans and AI. There's no reason why there has to be any direct IP link between the two.

As you've said, we know Skynet was sort of designed/built out of a time loop. But we are shown the evolution of the infiltrators (who are, mostly, just infantry with [eventual] living tissue over them)- rubber skin, living tissues, liquid metal.

Legion, so far as we know, is just the next inevitable emergent AI. Starts a war, but kills fewer people than the Skynet war because of the different tactics it uses (again, cyber attack vs nuclear war). As the conflict escalates, it develops drones and infantry to fight with. The infantry are not fully humanoid (outside of their heads) and have some form of deployable liquid metal skin/tendrils (an oily material that clearly looks and operates different than the shiny silver material developed by Skynet) which is uses more like a land squid/canine hybrid or something, rather than to mimic people (which is unlikely given their non-human sub-structure).

Once infiltrators are needed (or Legion discovers that a new time loop needs to be fulfilled for it's creation), then Legion develops the Rev-9's human-like skeletal structure (because if you're going to make a machine pass as a human, it would need a human-like endoskeleton of some kind) with the liquid metal skin for cover/disguise/infantry weaponry. And that skeletal structure is still very different looking from the Skynet designs on top of it.

But, it basically comes down to- Skynet went the humanoid route for infantry and iterated from there. Legion went in a different direction but may have arrived at one (out of multiple unit types) with passing similarities simply because of the requirements a humanform infiltrator would require in any scenario.

It's not really a point the film needs to explain.

That's called "The Old Republic" ;).

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Unless I'm mistaken Legion nukes the human populace as well. It's just that they precede this with a cyber attack. Add to that we again have time-traveling Terminators as assassins. That part is a pretty out-there & strange way for an AI to choose to exterminate humanity, given all of its myriad options. Many of which would make far more sense & be far more effective & efficient. Which is fine, in one instance. However when virtually the same thing happens again in a case where the genesis of the AI is supposed to share no relation or lineage, that's when we enter the realm of implausible co-incidence. So, each to their own but I think you're being extremely generous towards the story here. It seems you're happy to buy the central conceit that they're pushing, which is "any malevolent AI will always inevitably = time-traveling Terminator assassin robots". It's just such a no-brainer that any R&D connection between Skynet & Legion isn't necessary. We'll agree to disagree on that. In any case, as I said in the beginning I liked the movie for the most part. The underlying concepts & lore might be considerably dumbed down compared to T1 & T2 but it's one of the better pure action films I've seen in a while.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    well said

Princess_Tina likes this.