main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Thoughts, feelings, character studies, discussion of dodgy time-travel concepts...it's all here!

What's your fave? What don't you like? Etc, etc.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Terminator 4 should focus on a Terminator going back to prevent Terminator 3 from ever happening.

Darth Punk likes this.
  3. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    T3 while not really on par with the other to, was very fun, I enjoyed it, and now that Nick Stahl is not returning, I turn my nback on thee

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I really disliked what they did with John Connor in 3. He went from a streetwise kid to a...tool who gets trapped in a cage. He became weak. Also, T-1000>T-X, or whatever she was.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There was a proper performance from Robert Patrick. There was a red catsuit from Kristanna Loken.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  6. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i thought T3 was really good, especially the ending.

7. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    that is the only thing I really disliked, no fate but what you make was BULL****

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    There is one key problem with T1, T2, and T3: They can't happen.

In T1, the Terminator sent back to kill John before he can be born is destroyed. The arm is then used by Skynet to create the Terminators for the first time.

This is impossible.

9. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I think everyone's favorite is T2. Personally I think T1 and T3 are similar in that they don't deal with the terminator character much, but focus mostly on the story. T2 was the only one that explored his character.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Aside from ESB, T2 was the best sequel ever made. The scene where the bomb goes off in the playground still gives me chills.

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle....

hahaha, i love the Terminator movies.
    T2 is clearly my favorite, but i love the first, and the third wasnt bad (although consider it to be more of T2 part 2, if that makes sense at all)

I love all the scenes when Sarah is escaping from the insane asylum, when the cop is looking at his "poker hand" on the cup of coffee, and says "this must be my lucky day"//// two seconds later t-1000 is rising out of the floor and kills him...

Good stuff

Edit: i remeber waiting for the day, August 29th, 1997....it seemed so long from when the movie was releaseds... I can remeber calling my brother and telling him it is Judgement Day

12. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

Actually, it's quite possible, and I'll explain why.
    We know the terminator, obviously an advanced piece of technology, goes into the past, and is destroyed. Parts of this advanced technology is found, and the terminators are then created.
    Now, consider this: the arm wasnt the first way that the Terminators were created.
    Say they came along in about 40 years instead of 20. The arrival of that arm would have sped up that process. It is possible only if the creation of the terminators was inevitable.

Let me give an example.
    Say I went back to the 80s and played my X Box with, say, my parents. But I forget my X Box when coming back to the present. The X Box would be studied, and the technology no doubt duplicated. By 1992, a full 8 years before it was originally introduced, the X Box would be in mass production.

Make sense?

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    T3 was fun, but empty when compared to the previous two.

T1 has a great, dark feel to it.

T2 is just a great film that has a solid core to it, especially in it's extended version. Definitely one of the few films I can easily say helped shape who I am.

>>By 1992, a full 8 years before it was originally introduced, the X Box would be in mass production. <<

So what you're saying is the X-Box would manage to bankrupt Microsoft by 2003 instead of 2012? ;)

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I've seen only bits and pieces of the original Terminator. LOVED Judgement Day. The only think I liked about T3 was Stahl's performance. Somehow his John Conner worked for me.

Arnold should not have been in T3 at all IMO.

I tend to make in my head Terminator and Judgement Day canon and just pretend that Rise of the Machines is a bad dream.

15. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    It's only a paradox on the surface.

The first movie has Skynet being created without outside influence. Skynet eventually comes online in 1997 and the rest is history. The second movie has Skynet being created with the help of reverse engineering. Reverse engineering is a difficult process. They could have learned a lot from the chip, but in the end, the technology and brains had to be there to create the AI. This seals up the apparent plot hole where Sara knew the date of Judgment Day, but had no way of knowing for sure that some reverse engineering is in play.

Terminator 3 suffers from a major continuity error. John Connor was 10 for the events of T2, not 13. It's an enjoyable film, but this is one of the things that happen when you have more than one writer playing around in a single universe (like in Star Trek) is that brain bugs are likely to form. The TX was able to help Skynet along in this movie, but it's clear that at this point, Skynet is more than capable of wreaking havoc if the "virus" was any indication to its ability. Skynet is probably much different here than it would have been if T2 had not happened. You get the idea from T2:3D that Skynet has a system core, but according to T3, it doesn't. Not having James Cameron was a bad idea.

16. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I wasn't very fond of Terminator, but I really enjoyed Terminator 2. T3 sucked.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>You get the idea from T2:3D that Skynet has a system core, but according to T3, it doesn't.<<

I think it develops one eventually- the T3 novelization actually does state that, at least by the time of the Future War, Skynet does have a system core, IIRC.

I guess it started out as software, but once it blew up all the networks it existed in, it had to consolidate it's presence.

18. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    T2 is my favorite. Never saw T3, but I just found T1 to be kind of strange.

19. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    T2 was the first DVD I ever bought, and I am very picky about which DVDs I own... me actually owning it says a lot about the movie.

20. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    T1 good, T2 fantastic if only for the T-1000 (still in awe of the morphing after all this time), T3 okay as a movie but pretty bad as one of the Terminator films.

21. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I love the Terminator franchise, from the movies to the comics. All three movies have managed to entertain me, though there's a definite difference between the original, Judgement day and Rise of the Machines. The first two are completely intwined to me, while the third stands on it's own more, which takes away alot of elements that made T2 as impactful as it was. Still, I don't think T3 was a waste. I'm quite looking forward to T4 and finally seeing the war we've only seen glimpses of by now.

I very much dislike that they released so many different special/collectors/ultimate/etc. editions of Judgement Day. I finally decide to get the Ultimate edition a few years ago, and then Bam, they release an even more action packed edition. Bastards.

22. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I liked all three movies, although T2 is my favourite. The only problem I have with T3 is that it invalidates T2. T2's theme is that we make our own fate and that it is possible to change the future for the better, which makes for a hopeful ending. Then T3 runs all over that by saying that they never had a hope of stopping skynet, making all the past sacrifices pointless. I admire the fact that they went the whole way and had Skynet take over, but it makes for a bleak ending and contridicts T2 which says that the future is not preordained.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I finally decide to get the Ultimate edition a few years ago, and then Bam, they release an even more action packed edition.<<

You chose well, actually- the Ultimate Edition has far more extras, practically a film school in itself.

The Extreme Edition doesn't have much as far as extras go, but what extras it does have are new extras, so really, the EE is more along the lines of "The Ultimate Edition: Disc 3" in many ways.

24. GoJo

GoJo Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2005

Oooh i adore T1 and T2, T3 was kind of flat but fun. But i do have a question about T2, what was it with Miles Dyson making strange funny noises while holding on the dentenoator.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Basicly he was gasping for breath while dying.