main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If Josh is involved, my confidence in this project just skyrocketed.

EDIT- And that interview also gives us a release date: July 26th, 2019.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, if it discounts Terminator 3, Salvation and Genisys, I wonder what direction they're going to take this. Maybe similar to Terminator 3, only better (the beginning of Judgement Day)?

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I like that they're going to disregard all the post-Cameron sequels, but then they're also saying that they're planning a trilogy, so I'm lukewarm about all this. Feels like one step forward, two steps back. A pointless expansion into a convoluted plot with needless twists just to extend the story into multiple films is what I predict will happen here. Not particularly strong thematically, but at least better thought out within the logic of the fiction than the newer entries, because Cameron seems to put more thought into that aspect. So, story wise not really anything interesting. But at least in terms of in-universe logic, we won't have numbskull terminators that hurl their targets across the room, only to then have to chase it to where they threw it, instead of just, y'know, snap the target's neck (I'm looking at you, Terminator Salvation). Or killer robots designed like motorcycles, in a future where you would have to be a moron to use the roads, just because it makes for a cool action sequence (again, looking at you, Terminator Salvation).

Cameron himself was very open in a recent interview for the 3D re-release of T2 about the fact that he was never really interested in the future stuff and had no intention of ever taking the story to that setting. The future war was just a plot device to set up the action horror premise in the present. The story he wanted to tell was always in the present. The themes of all of the movies in the series, even the lackluster ones, are mankind inadvertently creating their own destruction, except one. Tellingly, Salvation is the only one not featuring this theme prominently. And how can it? When you set the movie in the future, the destruction has already happened. You can't make the movie thematically revolve around the dread of a scary future that has already taken place. So, due to Cameron's lack of interest, I don't think the movies will be set in the future war, at least not exclusively. If the movies use that setting, they'll likely treat it as a preventable future, not an inevitable one like T3 established. Thus, for anyone waiting for movies set exclusively in that setting, I doubt that will happen. But I think there is a chance they'll feature parallel storylines in the future and present and time traveling between, like The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Genisys did. But then it becomes overly expansive beyond the simple story and premise established in earlier films, which puts me off somewhat. So I don't know how to feel about this.

I predict a series of films akin to the Alien prequels (Prometheus, Covenant and ongoing), in that they will be high quality in technical terms and the internal logic probably won't mess too much with earlier established lore, but they'll be very divisive in how much value their expansion of the universe actually contributes to the franchise.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    good interview ( and some digs at the situation with the directors on the SW movies !) .
    No mention of Michael Biehn tho . . .

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    http://www.businessinsider.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-killing-gunther-interview-2017-10

Arnold interview about Killing Gunter (he's actually great in it) but drops some Terminator Tidbits .

Guerrasio: Why continue playing The Terminator? What is it about this character that makes you want to keep playing it?
    Schwarzenegger: I love the character. I think the T-800 model is a really interesting character that was developed with a tremendous ability. He's a machine, can be destructive, can do things human being can't do, but at the same time when newer technology comes along the character suddenly is vulnerable and that makes him even more interesting. That's why it plays well in the past movies. I think [James] Cameron and [upcoming Terminator movie director] Tim [Miller] came up with a concept where they can continue on with the T-800, but make the movie a whole new movie. I think the character was stuck in the future and was more like an ordinary guy who suddenly gets activated again.
    Guerrasio: What went wrong with “Terminator Genisys?" Too much of the story getting in the weeds about the future and the past?

Schwarzenegger:Remember, all movies, except the one when I was governor so I wasn't in it, “Terminator” 3 and 5 made over $400 million worldwide, so those are huge grosses. We wish we had made $700 million or $800 million, but I think the key thing now is not to get stuck with the same timeline. I think what they are doing now with this one is basically to just take a few very basic characters, like Linda Hamilton's character and my character, and dismiss everything else. Just move away from all these rules of the timeline and the other characters. It's hard to come up with new ideas when you stay within that framework. And I think this time they are going to take the freedom of opening up and not tying themselves down to the timelines and the other characters.

Interesting comment that the terminator in the future could be "a normal guy who gets activated." if that means what I think it means? T-800 Sleeper Agent Model 101 just "Zap! I must protect Sarah and John Connor, goodbye family and selling widgets." Also I like how the reporter asks about Genisys story and he just says it made over 400 million and steers it to the new one.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Arnie knows how to promote.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Terminate this series.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The new movie has been pushed back from July 26th next year to Nov 22nd, likely to to accommodate Arnold's recovery time from his recent heart surgery.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Only part that bums me out about this from Hollywood Reporter:

Hamilton and Schwarzenegger are reprising their roles, but sources say that their parts are relatively brief.

Honestly, I was hoping for a Luke in TLJ or Han in TFA (or even Leia in both) sized roles for them and I wouldn't say they're exactly brief, minor roles. They have legit impact on the plot and are involved in the climax. Hopefully it's actually something like that. I'd hate for the T-800 and Sarah Freakin' Connor to just be "Hey, you! Go over there!"

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Is this supposed to be a reboot (like what Terminator Genisys was supposed to be), a sequel, a prequel? The whole franchise is so confusing to keep track.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Arse. It's supposed to be arse.

I think they will succeed.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Genisys wasn't a reboot- it was a sequel (thus interacting with the continuity of the original film), albeit it one that included a much more obvious multiverse approach to time travel (even though that technically existed for the whole franchise, or at least since T2).

This is intended to be a sequel to T1 & T2 only- it will ignore T3-T5 & TSCC. Given that there is a multiverse at play in the franchise, it technically doesn't erase those other films, just presents another timeline branch. However, given that Cameron and co are involved in this go around (and assuming the film itself isn't terrible), most people will probably just treat this as the "real" T3.

That said, they've also indicated that, like T4 & T5, this could be the first of a new trilogy, but that they're approaching it as a standalone film, not the first chapter setting up the rest of the story (so, if it is the last movie, it won't end with unfulfilled plotlines and ambitions).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My mind boggles when I try to figure out the time frame for these movies. T1 & T2 were straightforward. In T1, the machines from the future sent a Terminator to kill Sarah so her son would never be born; and her son from the future sends Kyle to save her (I don't remember if John from the future knew that Kyle was in fact his father). In T2, the machines send the T1000 to kill John (we won't talk about why they didn't send it to kill Sarah like the first one because we all loved T2 anyway). Arnie is sent as a reprogrammed terminator by the humans (future John sent him) to protect young John. T3 was just weird, though you probably know me how I did like the female Terminator. Salvation was essentially the future; after the machines' apocalypse happened and John meets Kyle for the first time. I guess as you said, Genisys was a sequel to the first two; where there's kind of an altered universe going on. Sarah isn't the sweet, innocent waitress we remembered from the beginning of T1, but the take-no-prisoners rebel that we remembered in T2.

For as forgettable as T3 was, it still had among the most memorable teasers in existence. As one comment on the Youtube page says, "This is how you give grown men goosebumps".

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    John knew Kyle was his father when he sent him back but Kyle did not- John thinks about that in T2.

Skynet doesn’t send the T-1000 after Sarah because both it and the first T-800 were sent back at the same time, just as John’s forces are storming Skynet HQ. John sends Kyle then finds the storage room of T-800s that Uncle Bob comes from.

That was what Cameron’s original opening to T2 planned to include. So it’s not 100% locked but that was the intended logic behind events: send the advanced prototype after the main target whom they had the most info on and the 800 after the secondary target whom they had very little.

T3 branches the timeline due to T2’s events and a delayed Judgement Day, etc. That branch leads to Salvation.

TSCC also branches from T2 as well.

Genisys starts in a future timeline branch very similar to the one in the original 2 films (one could argue it is the new official version of what Cameron planned, but I think there are small discrepancies suggesting it is an alternate version). However, this branch gets interrupted (before the T-1000 and Bob get sent back) by the Smith Skynet (who is from a different timeline and has learned how to traverse the multiverse) attacking/assimilating Connor.

That leads to the new past timeline branch that Kyle now arrives in featuring Pops (sent back by person(s) unknown) rescuing young Sarah (so that she can harden up earlier), taking down the T-800 & T-1000 in 1984 and the jump to the present day “Genisys” events (which are apparently attempting to ensure the creation of Smith Skynet).

So it breaks down as:

-Pre-timeloop timeline (if one ever existed), where Kyle is not John’s father.
    -“Prime” 1984+ w/timeloop & original 1997 Judgement Day.
    -T2 then causes three branches:
    —-Terminator (new film)
    —-TSCC (delayed Judgement Day) (numerous further branches and loops arise from the multiple timetravelers in the series as well)
    —-T3 & T4 (delayed Judgement Day)
    ——Branching from somewhere else is the Smithnet timeline who starts traveling the multiverse.

-Then we have the “Prime” 1984+ branching into the T5 opening, where Smithnet and others cause the alternate 1984+ (branching as early as Sarah’s childhood) leading to the Genisys present (and possibly the original Smithnet future)..

And, yeah, that T3 teaser trailer is exactly what it needed to be- and shows how powerful that music is; not to mention what an incredibly boneheaded mistake it was to not use any of the original music themes (outside of the end credits), thus handicapping T3 even more than it already had been with the loss of Cameron and Hamilton.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    As Quest's post shows, everything became hopelessly convoluted after T2, which was already pushing it. I think we can safely conclude no proper third film can be made in this franchise. They tried three times; it takes great imagination to think this fourth one will succeed.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    T:G was the one that felt written by a council of incels from some website called TheSkynetMultiverse.com or something equally nerdy. It didn’t work. No need to go “back to basics” either: the original can hardly be surpassed or even equaled.

Pull the plug. Terminate this nightmare.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What's that, you say? Greenlight five movies and a big Avengers-style crossover?

22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Genisys has convinced me that there is nowhere for this franchise to go apart from unintentional parody (the last film) or a total reboot where we are essentially watching the same films all over again. The franchise is dead.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think TSCC shows you actually can do a lot more with this franchise- but the people making the movies were unwilling to move things in new directions (or were willing to but lacked the talent to execute) in the same ways.