main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Look at my icon and tell me how much fans like new directions.

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I liked T:SCC when it aired, but the frequency of time travel on that show and the scale at which Skynet is sending back footsoldiers to wage this temporal war with the resistance completely undermines the first two movies.

The time travel premise only works if sending Arnold and Robert Patrick back was literally the last thing Skynet managed to do before it was shut down. Otherwise, it has an army of robots at its disposal and a time machine – infinite possibilities. Why not send another unit to one day before Robert Patrick, and another unit to one day before that, and another to one day before that and so on? How many protectors can the humans possibly counter with? And the beauty of it is under this scheme, any unit that fails to locate him on day of arrival will automatically have an assisting colleague arriving every day that follows. And that is why expanding the story beyond the first two movies doesn't work.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It's ok, Rian.

There's room for a Mary Poppins/Wonder Woman hybrid moment in the Terminator universe.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    SuperWatto likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I believe TSCC still limited things but you’re right that you either need to go full temporal War or keep things extremely limited.

I think the movie franchise went wrong when it assumed that “sending someone back in time” was what the films required. Thus we get T3, T4 (suggested) & McG’s super-stupid T5 (Salvation sequel) proposal of HK’s being sent back to present day.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sarah Connor Chronicles did pretty much explicitly state that Skynet had given up on trying to knock out the Connor's wholesale and instead went for just trying to use time travel to gain advantages in the future with the Resistance were trying to stop. Same way that John went off the grid in T3, Skynet is up to other time travel shenanigans and they just happen to stumble upon their primary target.

So, speaking of John Connor, what's up with John Connor in the new Terminator? If they're going out of their way to bring back Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger you'd figure John Connor would be kind of important. Or maybe since no bombs fell he went off and became that Senator that the original ending of T2 promised. (Which did seem kind of odd considering young teen John Connor was involved in a rampant crime spree but, hey, it has time travelling killer robots, John making senator is probably not entirely unfeasible.)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, he was only 10 years old in T2. Most of his criminal activity as a minor wouldn't be an issue, I don't think, as long as he was clean from 18 onwards.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ooh, this day, May 12th, in 1984 a certain few visitors decided to check out downtown L.A. nightlife

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As I posted previously, I really had no real interest in seeing another Terminator film. Then it was announced that Tim Miller (director of Deadpool and that DC Online promo video), would be directing the film, and my interest started to increase. Even moreso when Linda Hamilton was cast to reprise her role.

And now, we have some set photo of Hamilton.

Linda Hamilton Arrives in First Terminator 6 Set Photos

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Is it too late for her to have a cameo in the final season of Game of Thrones, joining her fellow Sarah Connors? :p

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ Nerd! :p

But I was thinking just about the same thing in regards to the "Lois Lanes" that appeared on Supergirl. If Margot Kidder was still alive, I would have hoped at some point there were be a scene that would have Kidder, Hatcher and Durance all together. I mean, Teri Hatcher and Erica Durance has already appeared on the show.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah I took one look at that Hamilton photo and immediately thought

"Good morning, Doctor Silberman. How's the knee?"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Terminator sequel first look proves the future is female

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Looks like it's gonna lead to more questions than answers; but what else is new for this franchise? If you know me, you know I've always been down for the female protagonists in feature films (especially those like Hamilton [face_love]). It just seems odd that they're putting together a new story featuring a new lead that was obviously no where to be found in any of the previous movies. Where's John?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, there have been quite a few movie franchises that have been ignoring the lesser films of the franchise and just creating a "direct" sequel to the original film, like the upcoming Halloween film and Superman Returns to name a few. I think Neill Blomkamp's Alien film was suppose to be something along those lines with Sigourney Weaver returning as Ripley. Terminator Genisys is forgettable, and Salvation has been forgotten by me, seriously, I don't remember the plot or conclusion of that movie, so I don't mind if this just picks up after Judgment Day.

As for, where's John? That's an interesting question. For now, he's "Schrodinger cat."

I was interested in this flick when Tim Miller was named as the director and with Linda Hamilton back, I'm definitely on board for this film.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Where's John? Either he's dead, or maybe they're keeping that part of Genisys intact: him being turned into a Transformer. Of course, I doubt that, so it's more likely the former, but Sarah Connor doesn't want anyone else to know yet (either the Resistance or Skynet, especially the latter).

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It just shows what a mess the franchise is in really.

There’s been little interest in the films not featuring Hamilton. So after this one where does it go?

This is the last roll of the dice to get something going again and they’ll probably leave it open for another film, but realistically without Hamilton and Arnie I’d say it’s prety much done in terms of its peak, other than the odd reboot and revisit like many other old franchises that will keep it twitching along and dragging it out.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Might Grace be Sarah's granddaughter? John had a daughter in the alternate T2 Coda ending and she looks like a combination of Sarah and John.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Davis' Grace with the surgical scars looks like a proto-Terminator ala everyone's favourite Terminator movie hero, Marcus Wright!

[​IMG]

vin likes this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @PCCViking

John is in this as they are using CGI from Edward Furlong in 1991 to be used on a stand in actor for this film.

It seems like this will take place mostly in Mexico so perhaps it's a few years after T2 with glimpses into the future or some time travel by Sarah to protect John yet again as a little boy!?!?! *shrugs*

PCCViking likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I could see Cameron being crazy enough to redux a chunk of T2 with time travel shenanigans. They did that in Gensys but that was all recasting + one CGI Arnold. Cameron would probably want to do the whole dang cast.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That photo of the three of them looks post-apocalyptic. I wonder if this takes place post-Judgement Day.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, that's it an interesting thought, taken into consideration that this film may ignore all the other films that happened after T2, and if that's the case it would have retconned Sarah Connor's death in Terminator 3 as well as moved Judgement Day decades back from the original August 29, 1997 date, as we saw at the end of T2 the seemingly realization of "there's no fate but what we make for ourselves..." And as such, the pic above with Sarah Connor could conceivably be before Judgement Day. Or it could be Sarah Connor from the future return to the present time to stop Judgement Day is a Days of Future Past type of deal.

An excerpt from an article by DigitalTrends.com:

TERMINATOR Star Arnold Schwarzenegger Teases Bearded Look For Sequel

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A thought I had was that maybe it takes place in the aborted timeline post-Judgment Day. The original timeline that's collapsing in on itself because of the events of the first two films. Maybe Skynet is aware that Kyle Reese becomes John Connor's father so they send a Terminator after him to stop their reality from being destroyed so Sarah and the others have to protect him to make sure he gets sent back in time. Once they send him and Arnold's Terminator back... poof... the original timeline is wiped clean and Judgment Day never happened. Happy ending to the series.

EDIT: Except I just remembered Kyle says he never met Sarah in the future. Hmmm. Maybe she dies before they get to Kyle. :p

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    But isn't Reese long dead after the canonized events of T2? He didn't go back in time at all (it was a one-way trip); he only knew about Sarah from that picture taken of her in Mexico. If you're saying that Sarah and the others themselves go back in time to 1985 to protect Kyle from the Terminator sent after him, I guess that makes sense somewhat.