main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comedy Central: Premieres: "Key & Peele" and "Tosh.0"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    Comedy Central, TV-14-DL

Russell Brand in New York City

"The raunchy Brit's comedy special starts strong (''Without fame, this haircut just looks like mental illness''). But then his material devolves into tasteless sex jokes too clichéd to be funny. Aside from a few clever bits about Google and snowboarding, Brand offers up more hip-thrusts than laughs. C- ?Kate Ward"

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11:30PM
    Comedy Central, TV-MA

Comedy Central Roast of Larry the Cable Guy

"I'm always happy to watch Lisa Lampanelli and the obscenely funny Jeffrey Ross tear into some poor schlub. But Maureen McCormick? Since when does Marcia Brady have something to say about anything other than shtupping Greg Brady when she was a teenager?"

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And I saw Warren Sapp is one of the Roasters. What? Why? The minute Comedy Central took over these Roasts, they've gone in the crapper. Both in Roasters and Roastees.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    Comedy Central, TV-14-DL

Craig Ferguson: A Wee Bit o' Revlution

"Craig vents about non-Scot James Bonds. That joke's as hip as a Roger Moore ascot!"

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    9-10PM
    Comedy Central, TV-PG

Jim Gaffigan: King Baby

"The pale, deadpan comedian is as droll as ever as he riffs on bowling, the Bible's Abraham, and laziness. The material on his wife is a bit stale, but after washing down a delicious five-minute bacon segment (''Even the frying of bacon sounds like applause''), all is forgiven. Every other comic just, well, pales in comparison. A- ?Kate Ward"

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-10:30PM
    Comedy Central, TV-14

Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire

"Sigmund Freud would absolutely adore this show. Why? Two words: bisexual cyclops."

7. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Krod Mandoon is funnier than it has any right to be.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I have yet to watch a single episode of this. Judging my the commercials it looks destined for failure.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11PM-Midnight
    Comedy Central

Christian Finnegan: Au Contraire!

''Welcome to a night of awkward personal revelations,'' Finnegan says. No kidding: The comic riffs on teen humiliation and his own anatomy's shortcomings. But wait out the predictable jokes: A bit about his father-in-law, now serving time for attempted murder, definitely kills. B ?Kate Ward"

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Comedy Central, TV-14

Dane Cook: Isolated INcident

"A surprise performance from Cook at the Laugh Factory. (At least that's why we're being told there are so many empty seats.)"

11. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I am so looking forward to this! Dane Cook is my absolute favorite comedian! :D

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

10:30-11PM
    Comedy Central

Must Watch of the Week
    Series Debut
    Michael & Michael Have Issues

"They made you laugh in off-kilter comedy both narrative (Stella) and sketch (The State). Now Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter hope to double the laughs by combining those two formats to create new adventures in absurdity. In Issues, Michael and Michael are the petty, deluded hosts of a sketch series, and they don't play well with others ? or with each other. (Prepare to witness heated fisticuffs that totally forget to bring the fists.) Making matters meta, their behind-the-scenes tomfoolery ? for example, tonight's premiere finds them pathetically vying for the attention of an intern who's penning a profile on them for his high school newspaper ? is intermixed with bits from their pseudo-series. Simply put, if you've ever wanted to watch a farting-butterfly sketch struggle to take flight, this just might be the show for you. ?Dan Snierson"

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Michael Ian Black is my least favorite comedy performer on Earth.

There, I said it.

14. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    It saw it. It was weird.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

10-11PM
    Comedy Central, TV-14

Patton Oswalt: My Weakness Is Strong

"Oswalt's comedy special is peppered with political ruminations, including the accurate thought that the duo of Barack Obama and Joe Biden are straight out of a ''cool '80s cop flick.'' But he really scores with a climactic, and personal, shaggy-dog story about why you never want to make a magician angry. B+"

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I like Oswalt. He was really funny on The King of Queens as a recurring character. And his stand up isn't bad either.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    11PM-Midnight
    Comedy Central, TV-14

Live at Gotham
    B

"The droll Judah Friedlander, so great in small doses as Frank on 30 Rock, is underused as emcee of this live comedy show. Nonetheless, he proves he's the world champion of clever one-liners (''Does anyone know how to say 'I have no fingers' in sign language?''). ?Kate Ward"

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Comedy Central, TV-14-D

Season premiere
    The Sarah Silverman Program

"Money troubles keep Sarah from booking a waxing appointment, so she grows a mustache that would make Burt Reynolds proud. When her sister, Laura, explains she was ''born with both,'' Sarah replies, ''Both looks and personality?'' Silverman drops her patented Punky Brewster-meets-Larry David act for a bit while trying to accept her inner dude ? a refreshing change. The sheer absurdity of the program still makes it difficult to swallow for the sober viewer, but DVR the show and watch it at 2 a.m. after a few Heinekens, and you'll agree it's worthy of a B+. ?Kate Ward"

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I really like Sarah. She's sexy, and in theory I love her style of take no prisoners humor. The "Jesus is Magic" stand up video is outrageously and painfully funny.

But I've never been able to get drunk enough to enjoy the show. Alcohol probably isn't the drug of choice to make it watchable. My ability to process sensory inputs degrades to the point of making it unintelligible long before her show becomes remotely funny.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Comedy Central, TV-14

"Sarah has a reunion with an imaginary friend. Is it red-haired Marvin? If so, tell him I've missed him!"

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Comedy Central, TV-14

Series debut
    Ugly Americans

"Imagine if Hieronymus Bosch drew comic books and you've got an idea of the visual style of this phantasmagoric comedy series, in which werewolves, vampires, wizards, sentient-brain creatures, and various hellspawn populate an alternate-reality Manhattan. Mark is a good-natured milquetoast whose occupation as a social worker for the ''Department of Integration'' makes him responsible for those who aren't yet legal citizens of this freak-flag city. The premise is a neat riff on immigration and fitting in, but the jokes are a bit conventional for a show that looks so pleasantly odd. B+ ?Keith Staskiewicz"

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    MIDNIGHT-12:30 AM

Comedy Central

"Sarah and her sister host competing Holocaust memorials. Don't worry, I'm sure it will all be in the best possible taste."

23. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    11:30-12:30PM
    COMEDY CENTRAL

Orny Adams Takes the Third

"Orny gets super worked up about things like feeding appetizers to cats and adults who go trick or treating."

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    10-11PM | COMEDY CENTRAL
    Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen

"Somehow, I wonder whether he's in on the joke."

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    10:30-11PM | COMEDY CENTRAL | SERIES DEBUT
    Key & Peele

Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele offer surprisingly fresh sketch concepts and an infectious congeniality.

10-10:30PM | COMEDY CENTRAL | SEASON PREMIERE
    Tosh.0

Daniel Tosh is back for a fourth season.