main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Comic Artist Mark Spears

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MarkSpears, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Oh, do Mara Jade Skywalker. I would love to see her.:D

That drawing of Leia is absolutley stunning. =D= That has to be the best portrayal of Leia I have seen in a long time. I love that look on her face. It is like she is thinking, "I'll get that nasty Hutt for making me wear this uncomfortable metal bikini!"[face_laugh]

Aayla is also fantastic. I like how you drew the lightsaber. I like how the energy seems to be curling around the saber. Great detail.

I can see why you are the professional artist! Bravo!

AG88

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    My favorite thus far has been the one of Star Wars playing in the cinema, simply because it's such an original take!
    I love it!
    Though I do love Darth Maul ;)

Everyone knows I always suggest a RotS Anakin at some point, and I'll stand by that! ;)

As for other suggestions, I'll list a few for you to ponder :)

Nute Gunray
    Jar Jar (No seriously. He's always avoided and it'd be interesting to see someone take him on)
    Panaka
    Dexter
    Taun We
    Poggle
    Grievous (O:))
    Tion Medon
    Death Star Gunner
    TIE Pilot
    Ugnaught :p
    Lando (I don't see to many pieces with him :()
    Bib Fortuna

All of those are easily recognizable designs, but designs that don't get touched really (aside from Grievous. I just love him).
    So, taking on some of them in addition to the main characters might catch an LFL scout's eye? I dunno lol
    Still, it'd help set you apart even moreso.

3. MarkSpears

MarkSpears Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Boba fett, Darth Vader and a Luke laid out already. Oh and a Grievous. :) I may try and do some of the others you mentioned. Like you said they are seldom done.

I thought the Star Wars playing in the theater was a neat idea at the time. Though I remember some editors hated the story telling in it.

4. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Incredible work :) I really enjoy your linework, just enough detail without getting too busy.

Maul has a wonderful sense of movement in the robes and Aayla (a personal fave of mine) conveys a great strength and determination in her stance and expression. And I've got no clue where that "drag" comment about Leia came from, she looks great to me!

Looking at your colored illustration makes me want to go back and try it out again. I used to be pretty decent with prisma markers back in the day. The only drawback was their price.

5. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Welcome to the forum, and great stuff ya got there, can't wait to see more.

6. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    "Doing female Jedi" <insert Beavis&Butthead laugh here>

7. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank you! I love getting feedback on my work. I'm not sure why the guy said that Leia looked like a man, but sometimes people have different opinions. I thought it looked okay. I have a few more Star Wars characters planned to shop around as samples, I'd love to get your comments on them when I post them.

Thank you very much. This is a great forum, with some great people.

HAHAHA, I knew that sounded funny when I typed it.

8. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Hey guys, let me know what you think about these....

On Obi-Wan, I was trying again for a blend of my style, yet still recongnizable as the actor.

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/obi218.jpg]

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/vader218.jpg]

9. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Oh. My. God. Vader is simply perfect. I love the reflection of the Emperor too! Obi-wan is also awesome! =D=

10. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank you so much! I was wondering if anyone liked them or not. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!

11. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Here is a Spider-Woman I just finished....

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/spiderwoman219.jpg]

12. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow, magnificent work on both Obi Wan and Vader. While the likeness is not exact (which isn't necessary I think with such well known characters) and you've drawn him in your own style, he just exudes wisdom and all that makes Alec Guiness so loveable. Beautiful! The Vader is very nice too, I like how you've made such a standard image yours by adding that extra something in the form of the emperor. Well done! :D Bravo!

Oh and your spiderwoman is way cool too. I love it when artists change the sex of a well known character just for kicks, I had the pleasure of seeing a female Han once, all American sass and that grin, a well done picture if only I could remember where I saw it. I've also seen a female the Tick which was fabulous! :D (excuse my comic ignorance is there actually is a spider woman :p )

Well done and can't wait for the next installment! :)

13. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Actually there is a Spider-Woman, but thats okay. hahaha. She's a pretty popular character lately. On Obi-Wan I tried to do it more in my style than just a Alec Guiness face. I want people to be able to look at any work I do and know who drew it. Thanks on the comments! I really appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Mark
    www.markspears.com

14. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Hi Mark! Your stuff is absolutely awesome! I particularly love the Aayla images (for obvious reasons, if it's not so obvious check out my art thread ;) ) and the one of Vader w/ the emperor image in his helmet. Outstanding stuff all around. I can certainly see why people would hire you.

15. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Here is a fett I just did. Let me know what you think....

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/fett220.jpg]

16. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    ^^ Very, very cool. It'd be nice to see it in color.

17. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    I might try and digital color it sometime. I just so busy doing pencils. If anyone would like to try it, I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Mark

18. skywalkerlover00

skywalkerlover00 Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2005
    wow. your pics are really good. especially the fett portrait.

19. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the comments. :)

Mark
    www.markspears.com

20. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Wow, amazing work in here! I especially love Boba and Aayla [face_peace]

Is there any chance for some of your pieces to get colored, btw?

21. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I love your Obi-Wan! He looks just like Alec Guiness! And your Vader is awesome. I love the reflection of Palpatine on his helmet.

Excellent work!

AG88

22. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    I may try and ink Boba and then color him but I'm not sure about the others. I was just doing them for pencil samples. Thanks for the comments!

23. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Wow thank you! I had a few people say that looked nothing like Alec Guiness. I was hoping their was some likness there. Thanks for the great comments. I really appreciate them.

24. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Gah!! I've missed a ton of work in here (and I hate that!)!! :oops:

The Obi Wan piece is just wonderful--I completely agree that the likeness is there: who else could it be, with that wise visage and that lightsaber? I love his robes--beautiful drapery (as always!). The Vader/Palpatine piece is very metaphoric and powerful: the Emperor was inside Anakin's head from the start, and right through to the end--having the "ghosting" of his image on Vader's shiny black helmet is just excellent! The Spider woman is great, too--the movement and fluidity of your figures is just wonderful...very realistic. And with Boba Fett, I feel like I need to run again (ala your Maul piece, lol!): having that blaster leveled at us is very...intimidating! I can't get over the gorgeous detailing on the costuming here--all the blaster scoring and dents and scuffs and discolorations--it really tells the story of this character (well...that, and all the multitudes of weapons hanging off him...). The "leather" of the suiting under the armor pieces is handled so beautifully, as is the quilted effect on the gloves--so realistic! And of course, the pose just screams "action!" All these are marvelous Mark! And I too would love to see some of these colored--I think the Maul, Obi Wan and this most recent Fett piece would be just gorgeous colored! Beautiful, beautiful work!

=D=

FF

25. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank you so much for those comments. I really appreciate your thoughts on those pieces. Also considering you are such a talented artist yourself, it really means alot. Many thanks!

I'm not sure how many of you may know who Green Arrow is, but if there are some comic fans out there they might enjoy this. I did this tonight before working on some commissons.

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/ga221.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.