main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA COMIC CON 2005 - July 13-17

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsVader

MsVader Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2004
    Are there any major people from the movies there? I looked at the site and couldn't tell. [face_worried]

2. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    From the films, here's the breakdown:

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
    Kenny Baker (R2-D2)
    Michonne Bourriague (Aurra Sing....who found Robert's camera!)
    Matthew Wood (General Grievous)
    Daniel Logan (young Boba Fett)
    Rena Owen (Taun We)
    Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian)
    Ray Park (Darth Maul....who gave Anne a "personal" lightsaber twirling lesson!)
    and....

NATALIE PORTMAN (Padme Skywalker)!!!!! [face_love]

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hope you guys are having a blast!
    Say hi to Matt Wood for me and keep Matt away from Natalie..for her sake. ;)

[:D] to you all!

4. MsVader

MsVader Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2004
    Oh, wow Natalie! That's awesome! I wish I could've gone but I had a total blast at CIII, my first taste of fan events.[face_hypnotized] Hope everyone has an awesome time. :D

5. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, you know where Matt will be when the Queen arrives.

I would be surprised if she does a signing.
    Mostly likely a lottery type thing.

Thank you.

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    great to see so many of you that came down to our little seaside town's convention.

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Now that I'm back in "normal life" mode again, here's a quick breakdown:

POSITIVES:

-Being relaxed throughout the entire weekend
    -Not having to deal with the long drive down
    -Having 2 rooms for 8 people instead of one ;)
    -Seeing Daniel Logan for what may be the last time (sorry, Ming)
    -Watching the "Superman Returns" and "King Kong" clips (awesome!)
    -Seeing non-SW celebs like Adrian Brody, Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Rachel Weisz, Darren Aronofsky
    -The Tenacious D concert
    -Going to the Master Replicas party and having Leah being "felt up" by Kermit the Frog [face_laugh]
    -Getting exhibitor badges from MR and having to only work 3 hours!
    -Hanging out with the GGG for dinner on Saturday
    -Having so many people take pictures of us holding our "protest" signs (Kathy, you rock!)
    -Seeing Anne get a personal lightsaber lesson from Ray Park
    -Talking with Amy Allen for about ten minutes
    -Getting Robert's camera back from Michonne (a "bounty hunter" coincidentally) who found it on the floor and stopped me because she'd been looking through the pics and saw me in them
    -Being ten feet away from Natalie Portman [face_love]
    -Seeing old friends and having dinner with the San Diego Star Wars Society
    -Going to the Mission Beach boardwalk on Monday just to relax
    _Returning the rental car with one minute to spare!
    -Hanging out with Leah, Anne M., Brittany, Kathy, Robert and Dale

NEGATIVES:

-Not getting to give Natalie her Rebel Legion plaque, thanks to her publicist :(
    -Losing my wallet for 15 minutes, then Anne finding it :)
    -Not getting Ray Harryhausen to sign my book
    -Not getting to meet the cast of "Superman: The Movie"

All in all, everything went great! Wish more of you could've come!

8. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    sounds like you had fun. Too bad about Natalies publicist...how rude.

9. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Sounds like a great time! I'll have to plan ahead for the next convention, whatever it may be :)

10. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Even though I was tired most of the time, I'm so happy that I was able to go on this trip...

Postitves
    wearing my first SW costume!! (yay!)
    taking a picture with giant ugly dolls (heehee)
    seeing the Corpse Bride puppets/figures
    seeing celebrities
    Superman Returns presentation
    Narnia presentation
    "Darth Vader Lives" t-shirt
    shorter lines than C3
    not waiting a long time to get my badge
    roller coaster ride at the beach
    hanging out with all of you guys

Negatives-
    forgetting my ID on preview night
    my Padme boots were uncomfortable
    "I hate sand, it's irritating..."(whatever Anakin says about sand)
    being tired most of the time

11. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    got a few pics of the SFFF in action, along with the rest of my pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123553267

See #6 (dinner at Greek Islands), #46 (Matt protesting)

12. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    While this experience is still fresh in my mind, here are a list of my own pros and cons:

Pros:

+ Seeing friends, and family I have not seen in QUITE a while, and spending time with them.[/li]
    + Having a great hotel, with great roommates/neighbors. (Thanks ladies! [:D])
    + Getting really close seats for the Natalie panel. Thanks Leah and Anne for holding our spots in line. :D
    + The trailers for: Superman Returns and V for Vendetta, as well as the pre-vis. rough-cut of the King Kong battle w/ the 3 T-Rexs - Wow!
    + Jay, the rest of the MR folk, and the MR Party (Chatting w/Ray Park and all those photo-ops. Priceless.).
    + The protest signs that Kathy made! Who knew a little idea would cause so much publicity that Leah had to act like our Manager just for my bro and I to get back to the parking lot after all of the "fan-arazzi" were constantly wanting to take our pics?!
    + The Tin Fish - our new lunch spot for Comic-Con. Cheap and tasty, plus better that a $6 dog.
    + Finally crossing-over to the 501st GGG, after "pledging" for over a year and a half. Thanks Karen K.
    + The shorter and swifter lines, as opposed to the C-3 Indy mess. I'd prefer muggy-hot over snowy-rain any day.
    + Finally getting to go the beach after more than a year.

Cons:

+ The chocolate embarrasment/faux pas at the MR party.
    + Breaking a SW shot-glass I bought, while packing for the trip back.
    + The rudeness in questions/comments brought on to Adrien Brody (King Kong) and Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil/Ghost Rider dir.)
    *(To be honest, there were soooooo many more pros, that if there were problems, i.e, lost items, missed panels, forgotten costume pieces, etc, they were either: quickly remedied, or forgotten).

**I must say that this experience was probably the most fun, relaxing, and drama-free time that I have ever had traveling and attending Comic-con or a SW Celebration. I want to personally thank: Brit, Leah, Anne M., and Kat for the fantastic-female company! Who knew that many of you would be just as excited to see Natalie as I was?=D= [:D] @};-

13. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005

hi guys! glad to hear you had so much fun, i am quite jealous!

so what did Kathy's signs say?

will u guys be bringing pics to the saturday meeting? i can't open jawajames' link w/o signing up. :(

14. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Positives

15. V For Vendetta panel and trailer

16. Superman Returns Trailer: Got chills since they used the John Williams music in the trailer and confirmed that the movie will indeed use the theme

17. King Kong panel and trailer with special appearence by the stars of the movie and video introduction by Peter Jacson.

18. The Narnia scenes looked really promising and I wanted more.

19. And as always, Joss Whedon and the entire casty of Firefly (except for Alan Tudyk who was doing Spamalot) doing a panel on Serenity. That had to be the most enthusiastic crowd of the Con.=D=

20. Special appearences by The Rock and Karl Urban for Doom: The Movie. And yes, there will be scenes that will be like the first person shooter that we all love.

21. The coolest friends and fellow travelers to be with. Anne, Britt, Kathy, and Leah[:D]

22. Master Replicas, what can I saw? Always great people. Always knows how to put on a show. Always knows how to put on a party.=D= And possibly the most popular line for merchandise other than the Star Wars shop. And at times even more popular.

23. Being able to eat at a variety of places that were not too expensive.

24. Chatting with Danial Logan for may be the last time.

25. Chatting with Ray Park about martial arts and our mutual fondness for the old Shaw Brothers movies.

26. Anne getting a personal lightsaber lesson from Ray Park.

27. Ray doing lightsaber demos and lessons at the Master Replica Booth.

28. Leah sitting on Chewie's lap

29. Leah getting fondled by Kermit the Frog

30. Thinking I lost my badge and just getting a replacement one from the Exhibitor station. Then finding it again later.

31. Free breakfast at the Fairfield Inn whcih was actually good.

32. Smores

33. Getting decent parking every morning

34. Losing my camera without me knowing it:oops: and Michionne finding it.[face_dancing]

35. Even though Britt forgot her ID, she was still able to get into preview night[face_dancing]

36. Tenacious D in concert

37. There is so much more I can add, but I'm still recovering.

Negatives

38. Not having enough money to go on a spending spree.:_|

39. Not getting to see some of my fiends in the masquerade. Saw one of them but the sound was too low.

40. Not taking enough pictures.:_| Discovered I did not have a cable to transfer pics to my laptop so I had to be conservative.

41. Con was too short.

42. Not getting the video projector to work so we could watch a movie on the wall of our hotel room.

43. The disrespectful treatmeant of Adrian Brody by some fanboys at the King Kong panel.

44. All in all an excellent time with awesome company. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Special thanks to the folks at Master Replicas for inviting us to a most awesome party.

45. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I had a great time. I might have had this much fun or more last year if I had known all of you.
    I pretty much enjoyed everything except for flying, and sometimes I got bored during the panels. Meeting Ray Park and Daniel Logan was cool, even tho I would have been too afraid to talk to them much if I had been alone. They put a spell on me! I wish that Matt and Leah had been able to meet Natalie Portman. That would be my only real regret about the week, but that can be remedied in the future.
    Everyone's costumes were really good, and Kathy's Padme dress is really amazing. It was definitely worth all the time you put into it Kathy. :)
    Well, I guess I'll see most of you on Saturday. Hope you all have a good week, and happy 18th birthday Brittany!

Anne

46. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, I'm still recovering from the convention! I had no idea what to expect going to Comic-Con for the first time and I had much more fun than I anticipated.

Highlights:

- Sharing a room and good company with other Star Wars fans. Thanks Matt, Dale, Robert, Brittany, Anne & Leah for inviting me along with your group.

- Finally having an opportunity to wear my EP II Padme Senator gown. Thanks to Brittany for stepping in as a handmaiden to help me get in and out of that get-up. I don't think I could have worn it without your help. :)

- All of the cool panels with the Hollywood Celebs and Directors coming out to promote their movies & shows (The Rock, Karl Urban, Adrian Brody, Jack Black, The Weta Team, King Kong animatics, cast of Battlestar Galactica... the list goes on!)

- Matthew Wood telling me he liked my Leia Ceremonial Costume as he walked by after the Star Wars Presentation (renewed my faith that not all people involved in the making of Star Wars are totally freaked out by people in costume).

- Being invited to the RL Dinner, 501st dinner, and the MR party!

- Finally meeting some of my friends from the Costuming forum

- Ugly Dolls

- Getting R2-D2's autograph and hearing about the busload or people from Tijuana ;)

- Seeing the reaction of the kids when I wore my Padme costume, and being asked for my autograph.

- The Corpse Bride set

- Getting stopped every 30 seconds when I carried the Impeach Palpatine Sign to the SW Pavillion. Matt, that was an inspired idea! I can now say the hours I spent assembling that sign for the premiere were well worth it.

- Close Parking (the new parking structure saved my life!)

- I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting. There were so many highlights.

lowlights:

- A celeb I was hoping to see was a no show at the Anchor Bay Panel. Had I known I would have gone to the presentation in Hall H with Natalie and seen the Harry Potter Preview as well.

- The whole deal with Natalie and the die hard fans being turned down for the meet and greet. I understand it, but it's also kind of a shame.

- Getting to the MR party so late

- Disrespectful treatment of Adrian Brody by the Jack Black fans.

- Lack of sleep - although that's usually par for the course and just part of going to a convention.

Kay Dee

47. BlueHarvest1138

BlueHarvest1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2003
    Why no more seeing Daniel Logan?
    He isnt gonna sign anymore?

48. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    He has said on more than one occasion that he will be leaving the convention circuit. He told me November would be the last for him. Of course, he is free to change his mind, but I doubt it.

49. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I only took a handful of photos, but I finally uploaded them to the web if anyone wants to check them out.

Comic-Con 2005 Photos

- Kay Dee

50. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I have around 40 ComicCon pictures on my camera, I will try to put them on a disc, if I can't, I'll just bring the camera on Saturday.

51. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005

wow! i just saw the pics from kay_dee's link and i must say that you all did a PHENOMENAL job! i wish i could have gone with you guys!!!

very proud of you all and looking fwd to seeing more pics on saturday @ the mtg. gale can't make it but her spirit will be there (she has to work).

52. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Okay -- finally pictures are up after all the cropping of the video screens and the quick tweeks. At least I got all the red eyes out -- I think. I know I could have twweked it even more, but I'm tired.

Part 1: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harlock415/album?.dir=38bc&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Part 2: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harlock415/album?.dir=126f&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

or just go to: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos/harlock415

53. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Hey Kaydee

Excellent job on your photo gallery! For the first few seconds I thought I was looking at starwars.com.

54. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for posting the boatload of photos Harlock. Your albums are a great photo documentary of our trip! I didn't know Liz Hurley went to the beach with you Monday ;)

Bith_Lord - Oh, I in no way take credit for the weblayout ripped from SW.com. I did it for fun back when I made a photo album for CIII, and rather than spending an extra few hours designing an entirely new template I just rehashed it for my comic-con album.

- Kay Dee

55. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    For your viewing pleasure, here are a few more links from Comic-Con, the first is from our very own GGG:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery/comiccon2005

Secondly, here are links from our friend Albert aka EuroBeatKing(an over-all view of all of the costumes that weekend):

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=20547&userid=18 Thursday

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=20631&userid=18 Friday

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=20843&userid=18 Saturday

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=20905&userid=18 Sunday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.